</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
<*> 1911 Spring Cleaning <*>
by BCLC. 04/26/24 07:41 PM
Trade
by AustinC. 04/26/24 07:31 PM
For trade: cases of 12ga target for 20 ga
by Garndawg. 04/26/24 05:07 PM
WTB Ollie Baker Mainspring Winder (with clamps)
by BamaGuitarDude. 04/26/24 04:24 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
134 registered members (Gobble4me757, donia, goodman_hunter, BCLC, DuckDown11, timberwolfe, cdaddy14, Scdoghunter667, quailman, Scout308, dtmwtp, DHW, Prohunter3509, jake44, BrandonClark, Chiller, dquick1, Turkey, IDOT, BearBranch, quickshot, CCC, YellaLineHunter, curt99rsv, GATA87, JohnG, Snuffy, CKyleC, BrentsFX4, hayman, top cat, headshot, TexasHuntress, Mbrock, 7x57_Mauser, turfarmer, klay, jhardy, JA, weatherby, NotsoBright, abolt300, globe, bamabeagler, General, 270 guru, mossyback, woodduck, Solothurn, Paddlejon, apolloslade, MarksOutdoors, 2walnuts, Herbie, gatorbait154, brett.smith, Floorman1, Rockhound, Bustinbeards, canichols424, CNC, GomerPyle, furnfeather, AUdeerhunter, jeffhhub, Softailrider00, Justice, jchurch, Ray_Coon, NWFJ, deadeye48, Whild_Bill, RidgeRanger, crenshawco, Andalusia, Hotrod20, Turkeyneck78, MC21, kaferhaus, Herdbull, hyco, giftedkiller, BigA47, bambam32, AustinC, HHSyelper, jaredhunts, BobK, Droptine-13, Cynical, MS_Hunter, sj22, DoeMaster, HappyHunter, FX4, AU338MAG, slanddeerhunter, Drycreek, !shiloh!, wareagle22, ImThere, AJones, Lung_buster, CouchNapper, VERACITY, russellb, SC53, oakachoy, 3bailey3, UncleHuck, longshot, JCL, brushwhacker, Red Fox, blade, Mdees, remlap, Ridge Life, Paint Rock 00, BPI, millstoneman, coldtrail, 12 invisible), 1,138 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: GomerPyle] #2170451
07/19/17 12:27 PM
07/19/17 12:27 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
Neither one is any more right or wrong. I think a lot of folks try to make it too difficult. Love Jesus. Love each other. The rest is gravy. If you don't like one particular style or the other, that's fine. But to say one or the other isn't genuine, or to claim to know the other people's hearts based in how they worship is wrong. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Love Jesus. Love each other. His words, not mine.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170455
07/19/17 12:31 PM
07/19/17 12:31 PM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Offline
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
We go to First Baptist in Montgomery. We are and forever will be considered a traditional congregation. We don't have a contemporary service as of yet. Worship music comes in many forms and just like other genre of music, some appeals to others while other styles don't. We had people leave the church when we went to using the screens with the words on it rather than singing from the hymnals. To each his own.

I used to be one who though if you didn't have a live piano or guitar playing for soloist, it wasn't good. I did not care for a track of music being played over the sound system while someone sang. I'm 180 degrees from that now. So, things and people can change.

It also took some getting used to seeing ladies singing in front of church wearing pants, jump suits or anything other than a dress or skirt. I'm cool with that now too.

We have begun to lean toward a mix of our traditional music but definitely incorporating the new music like you would hear on K-Love station and The Message on satellite radio. To grow and sustain growth in a church you need (among other things) a pastor that can give the message of God in a way that reaches people and brings them to salvation, a strong children's/youth ministry, and worship music that will touch people. My wife loves The Newsboys, Danny Gogi, Chris Tomlin, MercyMe, ect. I'm more into the traditional hymns but it works because both of us get fed at our church.

Something must be working because we have experienced steady and continued growth when historical downtown churches across the nation are experiencing a decline in membership. I think our forward thinking church leadership who understand how to reach people and keep them fed (including worship music) has a lot to do with it.

These 2 songs were played at my dad's funeral. Kinda spreads the message in different ways.

https://youtu.be/nz7SPlMQEEA

https://youtu.be/khhTpugsmHc

Dr. B

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: BowtechDan] #2170463
07/19/17 12:40 PM
07/19/17 12:40 PM
Grant, Alabama, USA
TR Offline
10 point
TR  Offline
10 point
Grant, Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: BowtechDan
2 services. Fixed

I agree, if practical. Some fairly small churches do this. It also gives options for service times. I like having a worship service followed by Sunday School followed by another style worship service.

"Make a difference, take a kid hunting".
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170467
07/19/17 12:45 PM
07/19/17 12:45 PM
Between the coosa and cahaba
!
!shiloh! Online content
14 point
!shiloh!  Online Content
14 point
!
Between the coosa and cahaba
I prefer a mix . Touchy subject but it's one that has been discussed extensively in my household in recent months. Poorcountrypreachers post earlier is the truth. It's hard for a church to change worship music once established

ggg
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170468
07/19/17 12:48 PM
07/19/17 12:48 PM
Central to South AL
Stickers Offline
8 point
Stickers  Offline
8 point
Central to South AL
Well, to each his own. If it gets you there good- maybe after the praise band practice session is over you will listen to the message. I just got tired of seeing flip flop/t-shirt/cargo short guy , and I never saw him reach in his pocket and put anything i the plate either. But at least he was entertained. I have gone back to traditional Methodist Church service and enjoy it. I do think that people who say the leave any church or sunday school " because I didn't get anything out of it" are missing the reason for going anyway.

WDE
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: Stickers] #2170474
07/19/17 12:54 PM
07/19/17 12:54 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Online Content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL
Originally Posted By: Stickers
Well, to each his own. If it gets you there good- maybe after the praise band practice session is over you will listen to the message. I just got tired of seeing flip flop/t-shirt/cargo short guy , and I never saw him reach in his pocket and put anything i the plate either. But at least he was entertained. I have gone back to traditional Methodist Church service and enjoy it. I do think that people who say the leave any church or sunday school " because I didn't get anything out of it" are missing the reason for going anyway.

Just because you didn't see someone put anything in the plate doesn't mean they aren't giving. And their attire has nothing to do with it one way or another. That kind of attitude is a perfect example of the type of things that keep people from getting involved in church to begin with. Who gives a rip if the guy next to you is wearing a coat and tie or shorts and a tshirt? You can praise God equally in either outfit. And virtually any church in 2017 has multiple ways you can give, not just sticking cash or a check in a collection plate.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: GomerPyle] #2170481
07/19/17 01:01 PM
07/19/17 01:01 PM
Central to South AL
Stickers Offline
8 point
Stickers  Offline
8 point
Central to South AL
Gomer- my opinion is my opinion. Just move along until you find one you like- there will be plenty of options.

WDE
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: Stickers] #2170485
07/19/17 01:02 PM
07/19/17 01:02 PM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...

Well, to each his own. I just got tired of seeing flip flop/t-shirt/cargo short guy , and I never saw him reach in his pocket and put anything i the plate either. But at least he was entertained. I have gone back to traditional Methodist Church service and enjoy it. I do think that people who say the leave any church or sunday school " because I didn't get anything out of it" are missing the reason for going anyway.

I.never get tired of seeing anyone show up for any service in any type of clothing they choose. Jesus didn't worry about what was on the outside but what was on the inside.

I'm also not sure why you'd be so concerned with someone that you'd watch them so close to see what they put in the offering plate. God will do fine without us policing the offering or dress code.

The church has plenty of legalism and not nearly enough of the grace and mercy that we claim as our salvation.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: BowtechDan] #2170530
07/19/17 02:04 PM
07/19/17 02:04 PM
Earth
snakebit Offline OP
10 point
snakebit  Offline OP
10 point
Earth
Originally Posted By: BowtechDan
2 services. Fixed

The short version of what happened at my church was that we had 2 services. A contemporary and a traditional. The contemporary was doing well on its own and growing. The traditional was stagnant. The older crowd of the church were displeased because they never see the young people in church anymore. We did the Christmas services all together and mixed traditional and contemporary music. Went OK and the church decided in a Sunday afternoon meeting that it would remain one service. Now the complaints have shifted to the music and I complain too. I love a traditional hymn as much as I love a contemporary song and I believe they should be played and sang with joy and passion, and that is not what we have because it is too excitable.

"Hate is an acid that does more damage to the vessel in which it is stored, than the victim on which it is poured."

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170533
07/19/17 02:05 PM
07/19/17 02:05 PM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
We just sing and make melody in our hearts.Since I never read about anything being played in NEW Testament worship so we don't do it.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: bill] #2170536
07/19/17 02:09 PM
07/19/17 02:09 PM
Earth
snakebit Offline OP
10 point
snakebit  Offline OP
10 point
Earth
Originally Posted By: bill

Originally Posted By: BPI
Originally Posted By: bholmes
Very traditional and I love it that way, as it has been said, not there to be entertained. Also, the preaching is traditional, I know where I stand before God when I leave. I appreciate the church the way church used to be.

If we all went back to the way the church sho nuff used to be then we would go sell everything we own and give as people have a need. We would spend days in prayer with one another and no one would go without. Also, we would share the Gospel and our testimony to the point of death and persecution would be a given not something unusual. Anyone coming if that's the deal because that's traditional church.

Yet in our western culture, we split churches over music preference. Go figure.

It's all about what we can get out of church instead of what we can give to God and to others. How the music makes US feel and how the church can meet OUR needs.

I play in the worship band because it is what I can give to God. and in doing so am serving others so that they may worship with me.

It is hard to do repeatedly without feeling like I have worshipped because of the constant leash I am on.

"Hate is an acid that does more damage to the vessel in which it is stored, than the victim on which it is poured."

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: GomerPyle] #2170537
07/19/17 02:11 PM
07/19/17 02:11 PM
Earth
snakebit Offline OP
10 point
snakebit  Offline OP
10 point
Earth
Originally Posted By: jawbone
It is pretty simple. I don't think Jesus cares whether he is worshipped traditionally or in a contemporary manner so there is no right or wrong as long as it is following his teachings. He just wants us to hear his message. As to which one you should attend, go to the one that brings you closer.

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
Neither one is any more right or wrong. I think a lot of folks try to make it too difficult. Love Jesus. Love each other. The rest is gravy. If you don't like one particular style or the other, that's fine. But to say one or the other isn't genuine, or to claim to know the other people's hearts based in how they worship is wrong. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Love Jesus. Love each other. His words, not mine.

Well put

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: bill] #2170545
07/19/17 02:20 PM
07/19/17 02:20 PM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline
Freak of Nature
Marshall County
Originally Posted By: bill
The church has plenty of legalism and not nearly enough of the grace and mercy that we claim as our salvation.

Amen and amen.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: Stickers] #2170547
07/19/17 02:25 PM
07/19/17 02:25 PM
Earth
snakebit Offline OP
10 point
snakebit  Offline OP
10 point
Earth

I can't believe you would say that about anyone coming to church.
No wonder so many young people are leaving the church in general.

Can I ask why you left where you were to go back to traditional Methodist?

Why go to a church if you are not spiritually fed and becoming closer to God.
That's what I want to get out of church. Not just a Sunday checklist.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170585
07/19/17 02:59 PM
07/19/17 02:59 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
I go to Briarwood Presbyterian Church, PCA. We are a very traditional church but music is a mixture of traditional hymns, newer hymns, and modern contemporary praise music. The general consensus is there are centuries of music that can be offered to the Lord in praise, worship and reflection. Bill Gather used to be contemporary and modern. Many recent contemporary songs will become traditional eventually...In Christ Alone by the Gettys is an example.

I see the role of the church perhaps differently than some have expressed here. The role of the church should be this: Equipping Christians to grow in Christ individually IN ORDER TO share the gospel in your own family, your city, your state, your country, then the world. Concurrently, the church is a gathering of Christians for worship, prayer, fellowship and support along with ministries to meet needs. It isn't really about being pleasing to the community or becoming modern to be attractive. Christ alone is attractive.

A church will be effective and contagious if it is Christ centered, gospel driven and spirit filled. That's the right and primary focus. Traditional churches and contemporary churches can both be very effective for the kingdom, regardless of music if Christ is preached and the members are equipped and encouraged to share the gospel.

Last edited by straycat; 07/19/17 03:04 PM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170593
07/19/17 03:07 PM
07/19/17 03:07 PM
F
ford150man Offline
Old Mossy Horns
ford150man  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
F
Sadly, this is the kind of crap that is killing churches and chasing off potential souls that need reached. So many churches are getting away from their true purpose and worrying about petty stuff. Not once in the Bible does it talk about contemporary or traditional worship styles. Not once does it talk about wearing suits and ties versus blue jeans or shorts. Not once does it say anything about whether or not a church is supposed to meet on Wednesday and Sunday nights as well as Sunday morning. Not once does it say whether or not it's okay to have a meal under the church roof. These are just a few items I've heard bickering and fighting over in the church and the list goes on and on. The problem isn't whether or not these items are right or wrong but rather the selfishness of people with the attitude of "this is how we've always done it and that's how I like it". I've heard it said that "Christians are the only army that shoots its wounded", and sadly, its true. The purpose of Christians is to glorify God, encourage each other in growth, and lead others to Christ. Period. There is absolutely nothing wrong with preferring one worship style over another but if a person/church isn't willing to change (as long as the change is still biblical) to reach the community then they need to evaluate their true intentions. If you think about it, many of the songs that are called traditional at one time was probably considered very contemporary.

Last edited by ford150man; 07/19/17 03:11 PM.

If voting made any difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.-Mark Twain
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: ridgestalker] #2170615
07/19/17 03:25 PM
07/19/17 03:25 PM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
We just sing and make melody in our hearts.Since I never read about anything being played in NEW Testament worship so we don't do it.

As does Larkinsville Church of Christ, I'd say that's traditional.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: 2Dogs] #2170618
07/19/17 03:30 PM
07/19/17 03:30 PM
F
ford150man Offline
Old Mossy Horns
ford150man  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
F
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

As a former Church of Christ, I will say you've never read anything in the New Testament about using projectors with song words, microphones, etc...but you'll find those in nearly every Church of Christ building out there.

Last edited by ford150man; 07/19/17 03:31 PM.

If voting made any difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.-Mark Twain
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2170620
07/19/17 03:32 PM
07/19/17 03:32 PM
Tuscaloosa
Booger Offline
Picker
Booger  Offline
Picker
Tuscaloosa
Worship is neither traditional nor is it contemporary. Worship is me simply communicating to Jesus that I love Him and that He is my God. I believe worship is not a corporate thing. I am responsible for my own worship. I attend a Pentecostal church but I don't "worship" like those around me in the service. I simply focus my thoughts on Christ and somehow get one on one with Him. If some raise their hands, shout, pray in tongues, or clap their hands it should not upset me or distract me from participating in my own worship of Him. Most of the time I stand and sing along with my eyes closed. I sing those words to Him and my closed eyes allow me to not be distracted. God actually reveals alot to me during this time. I often feel my negativity change, I literally have a change in attitude. I become encouraged about life. I also find that I rewind the past week's events and missed opportunities where I could have encouraged others or given a little more of myself and time to those who need to feel the love of Christ's "ambassadors" (II Cor. 5:18-20). Anyway, we simply "worship in spirit and in truth" (John 4:24)

GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: ford150man] #2170624
07/19/17 03:35 PM
07/19/17 03:35 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Originally Posted By: ford150man
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

As a former Church of Christ, I will say you've never read anything in the New Testament about using projectors with song words, microphones, etc...but you'll find those in nearly every Church of Christ building out there.

Along with electricity, running water, and a book with the words printed on them.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.