</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (coosabuckhunter, TexasHuntress, Tree Dweller, jlbuc10, Frankie, 10mm), 1,093 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2151212
06/28/17 07:31 AM
06/28/17 07:31 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL
I'll spray my boots and clothes with Scent Killer spray periodically, since it's cheap, but that's it. Otherwise, play the wind.

I've been within 10-15ft of deer during turkey season, covered in bug spray and sweating like Hugh Freeze in an NCAA investigation hearing, and they never knew I was there because the wind was in my favor.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: GomerPyle] #2151213
06/28/17 07:32 AM
06/28/17 07:32 AM
USA
Jlu509 Offline
Ginzu Ninja
Jlu509  Offline
Ginzu Ninja
USA
Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
I'll spray my boots and clothes with Scent Killer spray periodically, since it's cheap, but that's it. Otherwise, play the wind.

I've been within 10-15ft of deer during turkey season, covered in bug spray and sweating like Hugh Freeze in an NCAA investigation hearing, and they never knew I was there because the wind was in my favor.

I like that analogy Gomer haha.

" What's that old saying.....
Never let your spouse leave the house horny or hungry, because their is always a whore with a sandwich out there. "
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2151276
06/28/17 09:01 AM
06/28/17 09:01 AM
KY
AUstan23 Offline
10 point
AUstan23  Offline
10 point
KY
Wind. All else is bullchit. sprays, wafers, ozonics, powders, detergents all waste of money. the four i killed this past year were done without "scent control".

It is easier to fool a man than to convince him he has been fooled.
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2151559
06/28/17 02:09 PM
06/28/17 02:09 PM
Georgia
ALclearcut Offline
4 point
ALclearcut  Offline
4 point
Georgia
Scent products (along with any "must have" camo) are just another marketing ploy of the tv hunting show generation. Knowing how to scout, hunting the wind, and being still are 20x more important than what camo pattern you use or whether you use scent control.

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2151619
06/28/17 02:59 PM
06/28/17 02:59 PM
In a Van, down by the River
quailman Offline
Booner
quailman  Offline
Booner
In a Van, down by the River
90% of the time,I hunt in blue jeans and whatever shirt. When its cold, I slip on my camo coveralls. Wind is your friend.

Life is a journey. Make sure and bring plenty of Beer.

My luck has been so bad lately, it could be raining pussies and I'd catch one with a dick broke off in it.
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2151900
06/28/17 05:33 PM
06/28/17 05:33 PM
Chilton County
modoc_333 Offline
6 point
modoc_333  Offline
6 point
Chilton County
I use cover scent..... that said, I haven't always and it didn't hurt then. I used to smoke and I shot deer with a cig hanging out of my mouth. it does make sense to just get them used to your scent. what happens if they later get shot while your scent is around? well, that deer won't care. he is dead. the others that are around won't care either. they won't be afraid of pine all of a sudden either. the point is to make sure something bad doesn't happen to them the ONE time when that scent is present.
How did people hunt for thousands of years without "dead down wind"? haha

Also, we have to remember that scent isn't like sight or hearing. yes, they can smell better than us, but they can lose it too. it's not like staring at something or listening to a song playing. their sense is better, but it's still smell. it depends on the wind and they can't "aim" at it as well as you could with sight or even sound.

now remember, I started this by saying i do use a cover. i think it can help in some cases. but it's just one part in a bigger strategy.

-Keith
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blumsden] #2151914
06/28/17 05:41 PM
06/28/17 05:41 PM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Originally Posted By: blumsden
I don't intentionally leave my scent, but i don't use anything to mask it either. IMO, there's no way to fool a deer's nose with something manmade. If there were, drug runners would be using it to fool drug dogs.

But let's scale smell! Even humans can smell ppl that haven't showered in days. Shower with a non-scent soap and ppl can no longer smell you.

Scale this to a deer's nose. It's all about PPM of scent molecules. You CAN reduce your scent to a degree where a deer may NOT smell you. But if you have more PPM of scent, then a deer will be more likely to smell you.

Reduce your PPM and you'll get busted less. No, you can't fool a deer's nose but you can take steps to lessen the detection. IMO, of course. smile

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2152029
06/29/17 02:04 AM
06/29/17 02:04 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
Antlerfluke, people have some of the worst smelling ability in nature. You can't even compare the two. Deer have over 300 million receptors on their nose. Dogs have only 200 million. Drug dogs can smell dope wrapped in plastic submerged in a gas tank. Think about that for a minute and then try and convince yourself that the soap your using is going to keep an animal that has better smelling ability than the drug dog, from smelling you. It ain't going to happen. Thats the reality of it. Dogs can smell cancer growing inside of people, you really think showering before going hunting is going to keep a deer from smelling you? Really? Thats how commercialized deer hunting has become. People make millions of dollars advertising for companies. Even they will admit they get busted by deer. Its all about thermals. I don't use anything and have had deer directly down wind of me and them not smell me. Why? Because my scent plume was not reaching the ground due to the air rising and going over their head, in the mornings. BTW, deer don't always blow when they smell you, thats another urban legend. I had an 8 ptr come within 10 yards of me in September one year when i was hanging a stand. He was casually walking until he got downwind and freaked out and hauled ass, but never blew. I looked at my son, and said "See they don't always let you know when they've smelled you, bucks anyways. If it gives you more confidence to go hunting and sit longer by all means do whatever it takes, but it wont help.

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2152051
06/29/17 02:28 AM
06/29/17 02:28 AM
PDL, Fl
T
timbercruiser Offline
Freak of Nature
timbercruiser  Offline
Freak of Nature
T
PDL, Fl
I agree with blumsden, don't believe the dang advertising, they laugh all the way to the bank. Hunt the wind.

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blumsden] #2152301
06/29/17 06:06 AM
06/29/17 06:06 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline
Booner
Geno  Offline
Booner
Old Florida
Originally Posted By: blumsden
Geno, i actually had a 50 y/o man tell me one time that he had to come down out of his stand because he had gas and didn't want to spook deer. He was dead serious.

Would have been better to stay up there and let her rip. lol

Marketing/advertising gets the best of everyone sooner or later. I know I've bought stuff that I didn't need.

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2152948
06/30/17 12:31 AM
06/30/17 12:31 AM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
blumsden, do you really think I don't know all that? I am well aware of the superiority of any animal's nose and how Parts Per Million of scent molecules work.

I said a person can stink (it's bacteria growing, usually or it could be from a petroleum product) and be smelled by another human. Then, that person can shower with an unscented soap, and A PERSON (A "person". I did not say deer!) could then, not smell or detect that formerly stinking person.

Putting smell detection "on a scale", I certainly realize that a human ranks way low HOWEVER, putting smell detection on a scale of Parts Per Million or PPM helps understand and scale scent detection.

I.E. 2000 lbs of "crap" pilled up will have MORE PPM of scent molecules than one pound of crap. Put that on a scale which goes from a ton of crap to one oz of crap.

The further the distance is from the scent originator (crap), the less likely scent is detected, right? (And to take away an argument, the wind is blowing horizontal at 4 mph from the crap to whoever's nose.) A human can smell an oz of crap within a few inches but back off 100 ft, and the human can't smell the crap. Well, AT SOME POINT in distance, the same will hold true for a deer. A TON of crap has more PPM than the oz of crap. You can't argue with that, right?

So, because of the PPM, it is physics that would dictate that scent detection for the "ton" of crap would be greater than the "oz" of crap, right?

At some point in distance, the ton of crap will not be able to be detected, right? And I know the human detection will be at less distance than a deer.

Let's use paper mills... at some point in distance, scent detection of a paper mill, even for a deer, will become non detectable, right? Why? Because the PPM of scent molecules will play out or become DILUTED!

So, if you scale it out scientifically, scent detection is a matter of PPM of scent molecules. Lessen you scent molecules, lessen your scent detection. This applies for humans AND deer.

So my point, a hunter CAN lessen his PPM of scent molecules and maybe, just maybe, get away with not being scented at a further distance. The hunter with fewer scent molecules or PPM's is scented less than the hunter with more scent molecules.

Can you fool a deer's nose? HELL NO!!! Not if the deer scents you. Can you lesson your chance of getting scented by a deer by being "an oz of crap rather than a TON of crap", yes you can.

Opinions are opinions. Science or PPM of scent molecules is science and facts IS facts.

IF YOU REDUCE YOUR SCENT MOLECULES, from a standpoint of physics, you reduce an animal's ability to detect you.

So my point... when you're in the woods, be an oz of crap and not a ton of crap. You cannot argue with the science of scent molecules in a PPM scale and the science of scent dilution.

Still and yes, hunt the wind but do what you can to lessen your scent molecules. Final note... don't paint me into a stance where I claim to throw all caution to the wind (no pun intended) and use commercial scent eliminators. I do what I can to eliminate my scent AND, I hunt the wind.

Last edited by Antlerfluke; 06/30/17 02:36 AM.
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153004
06/30/17 02:33 AM
06/30/17 02:33 AM
PDL, Fl
T
timbercruiser Offline
Freak of Nature
timbercruiser  Offline
Freak of Nature
T
PDL, Fl
Dang fluke, sounds like you have it all figured out.

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153018
06/30/17 02:44 AM
06/30/17 02:44 AM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
I just use logic and science and, common sense. I am not so delusional to think I ALWAYS fool a deer's nose but I am not going to make it easy for the deer to smell me. I do what I can to lessen my scent molecules or PPM and maybe the buck won't smell me until he gets at, say, 100 yds from me instead of 300 yard.

A human can smell another human dunked in gasoline from several feet away. A human cannot smell another human that's showered in non-scented soap from the same distance.

The Same Principle applies to a deer's nose EXCEPT, the distances would be much further.

Part Per Million of scent molecules or PPM lives matter.

Last edited by Antlerfluke; 06/30/17 02:56 AM.
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: Antlerfluke] #2153043
06/30/17 03:04 AM
06/30/17 03:04 AM
USA
Jlu509 Offline
Ginzu Ninja
Jlu509  Offline
Ginzu Ninja
USA
Originally Posted By: Antlerfluke
blumsden, do you really think I don't know all that? I am well aware of the superiority of any animal's nose and how Parts Per Million of scent molecules work.

I said a person can stink (it's bacteria growing, usually or it could be from a petroleum product) and be smelled by another human. Then, that person can shower with an unscented soap, and A PERSON (A "person". I did not say deer!) could then, not smell or detect that formerly stinking person.

Putting smell detection "on a scale", I certainly realize that a human ranks way low HOWEVER, putting smell detection on a scale of Parts Per Million or PPM helps understand and scale scent detection.

I.E. 2000 lbs of "crap" pilled up will have MORE PPM of scent molecules than one pound of crap. Put that on a scale which goes from a ton of crap to one oz of crap.

The further the distance is from the scent originator (crap), the less likely scent is detected, right? (And to take away an argument, the wind is blowing horizontal at 4 mph from the crap to whoever's nose.) A human can smell an oz of crap within a few inches but back off 100 ft, and the human can't smell the crap. Well, AT SOME POINT in distance, the same will hold true for a deer. A TON of crap has more PPM than the oz of crap. You can't argue with that, right?

So, because of the PPM, it is physics that would dictate that scent detection for the "ton" of crap would be greater than the "oz" of crap, right?

At some point in distance, the ton of crap will not be able to be detected, right? And I know the human detection will be at less distance than a deer.

Let's use paper mills... at some point in distance, scent detection of a paper mill, even for a deer, will become non detectable, right? Why? Because the PPM of scent molecules will play out or become DILUTED!

So, if you scale it out scientifically, scent detection is a matter of PPM of scent molecules. Lessen you scent molecules, lessen your scent detection. This applies for humans AND deer.

So my point, a hunter CAN lessen his PPM of scent molecules and maybe, just maybe, get away with not being scented at a further distance. The hunter with fewer scent molecules or PPM's is scented less than the hunter with more scent molecules.

Can you fool a deer's nose? HELL NO!!! Not if the deer scents you. Can you lesson your chance of getting scented by a deer by being "an oz of crap rather than a TON of crap", yes you can.

Opinions are opinions. Science or PPM of scent molecules is science and facts IS facts.

IF YOU REDUCE YOUR SCENT MOLECULES, from a standpoint of physics, you reduce an animal's ability to detect you.

So my point... when you're in the woods, be an oz of crap and not a ton of crap. You cannot argue with the science of scent molecules in a PPM scale and the science of scent dilution.

Still and yes, hunt the wind but do what you can to lessen your scent molecules. Final note... don't paint me into a stance where I claim to throw all caution to the wind (no pun intended) and use commercial scent eliminators. I do what I can to eliminate my scent AND, I hunt the wind.

https://i.imgur.com/WxrddRn.jpg

" What's that old saying.....
Never let your spouse leave the house horny or hungry, because their is always a whore with a sandwich out there. "
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153054
06/30/17 03:16 AM
06/30/17 03:16 AM
northport
deadeye48 Offline
Booner
deadeye48  Offline
Booner
northport
Camo clothing for me makes it easier to move around and to have the ability to put thermals on underneath and I do practice scent control. NO one knows when the wind will shift or a deer will come in from a different direction or even cross the path you've walked in on and leave the area

When I need expert advice I tend to talk to myself
The older I get the better I used to be
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153170
06/30/17 04:38 AM
06/30/17 04:38 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
the whole intentional lack of scent control is a huge LOAD OF CRAP and ranks right beside global warming in the good idea arena.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153258
06/30/17 06:00 AM
06/30/17 06:00 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
Ok Antler, i completely agree with you that you can reduce your scent, but you'll never convince me that you will do it to a scale that will be enough so a deer wont smell you.

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153306
06/30/17 06:47 AM
06/30/17 06:47 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
I have gone to lengths to reduce my scent to the point that my plan will, and has, bought me yards and seconds before I am detected. Sometimes that is enough distance or time to allow me to seal the deal. One will never be able to stay undetected by a six year old doe standing downwind IN the scent stream...but I may be able to fool the two year old doe that the six year old buck is following into my shooting zone.

seconds and yards don't matter as much gun hunting but can make or break a bow hunt.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153353
06/30/17 07:41 AM
06/30/17 07:41 AM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Blumsden, I don't disagree with you, to a point. My scent reduction may only give me, like B'Fred said, a few extra yards before the deer busts me.

I used to wear all that ScentLok stuff and wore it on my head too but you're still going to get busted. I just reduce my scent, as I said, from a ton of chit to an oz of chit!!!

LOL! And I'd be FOS if I thought those scent reduction products all work!

Re: Discussion: Intentional lack of scent control [Re: blahblahblah] #2153374
06/30/17 08:03 AM
06/30/17 08:03 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
I've had deer within 5 yards of me plenty of times, and they never knew i was there. Problem with this discussion is, nobody has anyway of proving anything. It's just what we do and how we do it that gives us confidence and no matter what anyone else says, we'll continue doing it that way because it works for us.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.