</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Ruger GP100 and Rossi .243 single shot for sale
by whitetail35. 05/01/24 02:12 PM
Glock 31 357 sig
by chasew808. 05/01/24 08:53 AM
Want to trade for Colt Single Action Army
by Narrow Gap. 04/30/24 09:42 PM
2020 Kubota UTV 900 Diesel
by Squatting Bear. 04/30/24 05:40 PM
Duck Decoys for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/30/24 05:39 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Forever wild gun regs.
by Frankie. 05/01/24 03:42 PM
Kansas draw
by booner. 05/01/24 02:56 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by demp17. 04/30/24 05:51 AM
Velvet
by CeeHawk37. 04/29/24 07:55 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (Fattyfireplug, Bustinbeards, GoldenEagle, BigEd, M48scout, Mack1, 7x57_Mauser, rickyh_2, lpman, woodduck, MarksOutdoors, 3bailey3, lectrode, canvasback, jwalker77, weatherby, Ryano, jmj120, PaytonWP, hallb, Zzzfog, BD, FreeStateHunter, chevydude2015, Nowlide, zwick, BhamFred, MattIce, slanddeerhunter, Floorman1, Frogeye, coldtrail, JustHunt, WINMAG300, CNC, Sasquatch Lives, AuGrayghost, JohnG, 3Gs, fingers, m97, centralala, mcninja, DoeNut, bug54, bamabug, Kang, Khitzeman, AU coonhunter, AustinC, GomerPyle, jhardy, stuball, Whild_Bill, AU7MM08, Bigwhitey, Bulls eye, BrentsFX4, Noler_Swamp, ronfromramer, Red Fox, Herdbull, WDE, Rooster600, Johnal3, SC53, Solothurn, ImThere, CrappieMan, jeffhhub, dirtwrk, Corey allen, RidgeRanger, Young20, Fl Panhandler, Ridge Life, Moose24, canichols424, mossyback, donia, riflenut, jaydub12, Jotjackson, treemydog, BCLC, skoor, trlrdrdave, Jbf, metalmuncher, deerman24, Hoytdad10, scrape, m2ruger, Geeb, StateLine, Redman3, AWT6, johnv, ALMODUX, Treelimb, apolloslade, Grokamole, beeline08, CouchNapper, Cactus_buck, globe, Jweeks, top cat, dagwood, Backwards cowboy, C3SEAST, Cowboysup2, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: Out back] #2090683
04/17/17 02:22 PM
04/17/17 02:22 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Originally Posted By: Out back
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

You oughta at least use one of your single actions and turn the Glock so its facing away from you, making a smaller target. You can probably buy up a bunch of them that melted from someone leaving one in the sun too long. I think they are pretty cheap. smile

Glock, like Mathews Bows, are good products for some people. But they're honestly no better than many other makes, they just got a better marketing strategy. I have no real bad beef with Glock, other than not being a fan of plastic. I just get real fired up when folks start talking about giving their wife (or any novice) a Glock pistol. There's far better and safer alternatives. Anyone who carries a duty weapon will attest to the benefit of repetition training. And many of those same folks understand what can happen to your brain in a panic situation. I encourage all wives and daughters to carry a weapon and practice with that weapon. But also choose a simple, no frills, DA snub nose. Just point & click simplicity, no thinking required. Its the smartest, safest and most effective choice.

Well said. It isn't about what a Glock can't do. It is about what it will do if someone doesn't know what they are doing. If there is a round in the chamber, it is going to fire if you pull the trigger. Since there is no external safety, this means every time the trigger is pulled, whether intentionally or not. Unlike a lot of handguns we grew up with, it will also fire without a magazine. Now this isn't always a bad thing, unless you've become so used to one that won't fire when the mag is dropped. Along with this, to take it down, the trigger has to be pulled, so drop the mag, pull the trigger to take it down and boom unless you've trained and had it drilled into you to rack the slide after dropping the mag. I know of several incidents of racking the slide and then dropping the magazine. Wrong order. Bad scenario. Those are not the gun's fault. That is what they were designed to do, but not everyone that owns or wants one understands and appreciates this.

Again, they are great weapons for those that will take the time to learn and train with it, but it is not for everyone that thinks or claims to know about handguns.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: jawbone] #2090709
04/17/17 02:43 PM
04/17/17 02:43 PM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature

Originally Posted By: jawbone

You oughta at least use one of your single actions and turn the Glock so its facing away from you, making a smaller target. You can probably buy up a bunch of them that melted from someone leaving one in the sun too long. I think they are pretty cheap. smile

Glock, like Mathews Bows, are good products for some people. But they're honestly no better than many other makes, they just got a better marketing strategy. I have no real bad beef with Glock, other than not being a fan of plastic. I just get real fired up when folks start talking about giving their wife (or any novice) a Glock pistol. There's far better and safer alternatives. Anyone who carries a duty weapon will attest to the benefit of repetition training. And many of those same folks understand what can happen to your brain in a panic situation. I encourage all wives and daughters to carry a weapon and practice with that weapon. But also choose a simple, no frills, DA snub nose. Just point & click simplicity, no thinking required. Its the smartest, safest and most effective choice.

Well said. It isn't about what a Glock can't do. It is about what it will do if someone doesn't know what they are doing. If there is a round in the chamber, it is going to fire if you pull the trigger. Since there is no external safety, this means every time the trigger is pulled, whether intentionally or not. Unlike a lot of handguns we grew up with, it will also fire without a magazine. Now this isn't always a bad thing, unless you've become so used to one that won't fire when the mag is dropped. Along with this, to take it down, the trigger has to be pulled, so drop the mag, pull the trigger to take it down and boom unless you've trained and had it drilled into you to rack the slide after dropping the mag. I know of several incidents of racking the slide and then dropping the magazine. Wrong order. Bad scenario. Those are not the gun's fault. That is what they were designed to do, but not everyone that owns or wants one understands and appreciates this.

Again, they are great weapons for those that will take the time to learn and train with it, but it is not for everyone that thinks or claims to know about handguns.

One of the reasons I prefer the XD. Without both grip and trigger pressure the gun will not fire. The XD has also been through all of the same torture test the Glock has and held up just fine, just as I'm sure Steyr, Beretta, Sig and most other well manufactured polymer handguns would, too. The main thing is to be familiar and comfortable with whichever you choose to carry. They will all do the job intended if you do your part.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: bill] #2090745
04/17/17 03:17 PM
04/17/17 03:17 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Online Content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL
Originally Posted By: bill

Originally Posted By: jawbone

One of the reasons I prefer the XD. Without both grip and trigger pressure the gun will not fire. The XD has also been through all of the same torture test the Glock has and held up just fine, just as I'm sure Steyr, Beretta, Sig and most other well manufactured polymer handguns would, too. The main thing is to be familiar and comfortable with whichever you choose to carry. They will all do the job intended if you do your part.

I've almost bought an XD a couple of times buy just don't like they way they feel. Seem too top-heavy or something.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2090842
04/17/17 04:27 PM
04/17/17 04:27 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
That's a great idea. Shooting Glocks.
Maybe hang it on a limb and paint it red. Shoot it with my 308, for short range practice. Yeah I like that idea.

I hope you don't really believe that.

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: Out back] #2090846
04/17/17 04:31 PM
04/17/17 04:31 PM
D'Iberville, MS
MS_Hunter Offline
12 point
MS_Hunter  Offline
12 point
D'Iberville, MS

Actually some of your better advice Outback. I completely agree with training with what your going to carry and training often. Any gun can be safe or dangerous in a stressful situation and most of us haven't been in that type of situation. I just don't agree with saying "x" type of gun is any more dangerous than any other. It comes down to personal preference and comfort.

In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we'll fight them together.
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: R_H_Clark] #2090881
04/17/17 04:58 PM
04/17/17 04:58 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Maybe hang it on a limb and paint it red. Shoot it with my 308, for short range practice. Yeah I like that idea.

It was just a bad joke. But I haven't liked Glocks since I murdered a good chrony with one. Are the stories about them melting in cars just myths? The pics are out there, but they may be fake.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090890
04/17/17 05:09 PM
04/17/17 05:09 PM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
I like my 19 because ammo is cheap, it's structurally sound, and doesn't rust. Plus, it's comfortable in my hand, and doesn't take multiple actions to make it go bang. Pull the trigger, or rack the slide and pull it again. No other variables to test if it doesn't work.

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090904
04/17/17 05:30 PM
04/17/17 05:30 PM
Pike County, AL
Fuzzy_Bunny Offline
Booner
Fuzzy_Bunny  Offline
Booner
Pike County, AL

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090936
04/17/17 06:43 PM
04/17/17 06:43 PM
Al
M
metalmessiah Offline
12 point
metalmessiah  Offline
12 point
M
Al

Go with the flow and you will end up down the drain!
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090937
04/17/17 06:44 PM
04/17/17 06:44 PM
Blount County
BamaBart Offline
Panty Wearin' Hunter
BamaBart  Offline
Panty Wearin' Hunter
Blount County
A pistol is a tool. Glocks aren't pretty but it's light, holds a lot of rounds and fires when you pull the trigger. That's all I need it to do.
Lots of company have copied it's design. I would carry other stricker fired pistols and be happy but I like having so many aftermarket parts and holsters for the Glock.

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: metalmessiah] #2090945
04/17/17 07:00 PM
04/17/17 07:00 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature

Originally Posted By: metalmessiah

They've torture tested them at levels no 1911 would stand up to. They have ran over them with tanks and they still perform flawlessly. I don't personally care for the grip angle on the Glock but polymer frame pistols by most major manufacturers are a better choice for reliability than the 1911, in my opinion.

-
Bauvard
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090946
04/17/17 07:08 PM
04/17/17 07:08 PM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
Since I'm pretty sure a tank will not be running over my side arm, I'll stick with my trusty 1911. thumbup
Because I shoot a .45 I don't need 16 rounds.

Last edited by Out back; 04/17/17 07:09 PM.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090948
04/17/17 07:25 PM
04/17/17 07:25 PM
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gunsame...th-my-life/amp/

Can a 1911 be as reliable as a polymer frame pistol? Probably, but not for most people unless they have a ton of time to maintain and train with it.

-
Bauvard
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090950
04/17/17 08:15 PM
04/17/17 08:15 PM
Autauga County, AL
5Pages Offline
8 point
5Pages  Offline
8 point
Autauga County, AL
19 and 23 3rd gens for me.

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2090968
04/18/17 12:54 AM
04/18/17 12:54 AM
Cape San Blas, Florida
D
Deadwood Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
Deadwood  Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
D
Cape San Blas, Florida
I don't have any guns at all. Sold 'em all! I don't even have a slingshot.

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2091201
04/18/17 04:49 AM
04/18/17 04:49 AM
Georgia
G
Geeb Online content
4 point
Geeb  Online Content
4 point
G
Georgia

It was just a bad joke. But I haven't liked Glocks since I murdered a good chrony with one. Are the stories about them melting in cars just myths? The pics are out there, but they may be fake.

Had glocks in Afghanistan in some of the most extreme environmental conditions they can be put in and they performed FLAWLESSLY. Never did see one melt in those 120 degree temps, so I can't see it happening here.

Jawbone, A glock will NEVER do anything without external manipulation to do so. With or without a safety, with or without a magazine, a firearm only does what it is told to do. People do need trained, but that is no different than any other pistol out there, they all have idiosyncrasy's that need to be learned before they are carried.

I get that you old school guys think a revolver is the safest and most easily learned because that is what you are comfortable with, but it just isn't that way any longer.

Glocks do have an external safety, it is in trigger.

SOCOM went to glock 19's last year, glock's are issued by many many different countries as their primary pistol. Big army is still looking at changing their berettas for glocks. I am certain the risk vs. reward of issuing glocks was weighed heavily before the decision was made.

I've personally seen quite a few ND's with Berettas, I do not believe I ever recall the pistol being the one taking the blame in any of those events.

Last edited by Geeb; 04/18/17 04:50 AM.
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: Geeb] #2091211
04/18/17 05:04 AM
04/18/17 05:04 AM
Northport
Thisldu Offline
8 point
Thisldu  Offline
8 point
Northport
Originally Posted By: Geeb

Had glocks in Afghanistan in some of the most extreme environmental conditions they can be put in and they performed FLAWLESSLY. Never did see one melt in those 120 degree temps, so I can't see it happening here.

Jawbone, A glock will NEVER do anything without external manipulation to do so. With or without a safety, with or without a magazine, a firearm only does what it is told to do. People do need trained, but that is no different than any other pistol out there, they all have idiosyncrasy's that need to be learned before they are carried.

I get that you old school guys think a revolver is the safest and most easily learned because that is what you are comfortable with, but it just isn't that way any longer.

SOCOM went to glock 19's last year, glock's are issued by many many different countries as their primary pistol. Big army is still looking at changing their berettas for glocks. I am certain the risk vs. reward of issuing glocks was weighed heavily before the decision was made.

I've personally seen quite a few ND's with Berettas, I do not believe I ever recall the pistol being the one taking the blame in any of those events.

Army just went with SIG 320's. Striker fired and basically a glock in disguise.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near"
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: Thisldu] #2091223
04/18/17 05:15 AM
04/18/17 05:15 AM
Georgia
G
Geeb Online content
4 point
Geeb  Online Content
4 point
G
Georgia

Originally Posted By: Thisldu
Originally Posted By: Geeb

Army just went with SIG 320's. Striker fired and basically a glock in disguise.

Yes they did, but Glock has the decision under protest.

Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: 300gr] #2091230
04/18/17 05:19 AM
04/18/17 05:19 AM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
Old school guys.
That, my friend, is a badge of honor. I've waited all my life to wear that label. thumbup

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: How many on here own /shoot Glocks [Re: Out back] #2091251
04/18/17 05:33 AM
04/18/17 05:33 AM
Georgia
G
Geeb Online content
4 point
Geeb  Online Content
4 point
G
Georgia

Old school guys.
That, my friend, is a badge of honor. I've waited all my life to wear that label. thumbup

I did not mean it as a slight. Folks are comfortable with what they know best, nothing wrong with it.
However, the 'unknown' isn't necessarily 'inferior' or 'unsafe' either.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.