</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
guns for sale
by BBGM. 05/04/24 08:10 PM
Wtb 4 stroke 8 to 10hp outboard
by 300gr. 05/04/24 05:57 PM
Volquartsen Built Grey Ghost 10-22
by wew3006. 05/04/24 04:17 PM
6.5-300 Weatherby or Trade
by Matt_S. 05/04/24 03:50 PM
Dual Fuel Generator
by Gulfcoast. 05/04/24 01:36 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/04/24 12:40 PM
Velvet
by Turkey_neck. 05/04/24 09:13 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 05/03/24 05:57 AM
Forever wild gun regs.
by Frankie. 05/01/24 03:42 PM
Kansas draw
by booner. 05/01/24 02:56 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (RCHRR, Ruger7mag, hallb, Shane99, Tree Dweller, Jotjackson), 878 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint #2086636
04/12/17 11:20 AM
04/12/17 11:20 AM
Covington County
Squeaky Offline OP
12 point
Squeaky  Offline OP
12 point
Covington County
I need to start this thread off with a big thanks to David for the invite to Oklahoma! It was a great trip and one I truly enjoyed. I look forward to our next trip buddy!! Oh….and for those of y’all that might not be aware, Daggers is pure death on a turkey! He can flat out run a pot call with the best and has a boat load of patience.

Dagger’s and I started off this trip with a couple hunts in Bama in his personal stomping grounds. I tagged along for moral support since I had already limited out. I’m glad I did because I got to witness one of the best afternoons of gobbling I believe I have ever heard. This bird gobbled so much he would get choked up in the process. How he didn’t meet his maker that day I want never understand but he lived to see another sun rise.

We pulled out for my Illinois farms after a quick morning hunt on 4/2. It was only a 5 hr drive from Dagger’s house so we were there in plenty of time to get something roosted for the season opener. After visiting a couple different farms I was pretty much spun out. I had never hunted Illinois and not located a bird on my property. This was a first for me and I was feeling to pressure to show Dagger’s what Illinois had to offer. With a little persistence I located 6 gobblers together in a neighbor's crop field. We watched them go to roost in the other neighbor's woodlot and formed our plan.

The weather forecast was calling for rain so we drove back into the farm and put out a blind along a tree line where there was a sizeable gap between my property and the neighbor's crop field. I was hoping we could call the group of gobblers down the edge of the crop field to a point where they could see some decoys we had placed in my field. We arrive early and so far the weather was cooperating with us. The updated weather forecast had pushed the rain arrival out to midday. Since we already had the blind in place, we utilized it to be comfortable and concealed. I had a feeling we might be in for a long wait since there were not any bird roosted on my property.

As it started to break day the birds started hammering. We heard the 6 we roosted and also heard one that we were not aware of gobble a couple hundred yards to our NE. Daggers also heard several other groups that were out of my hearing distance. Once it was good and light out Daggers said he heard a bird fly down close to us. We started with some calling but the close bird did not answer. The group of 6 would though so we kept calling occasionally to keep their interest. This went on for about 30 minutes of so when all of sudden I see a big gobbler come over a rise in the field we were set up on. He had come in silent but was in a full run to B-Mobile. In just a matter of seconds he was in front of us breeding the submissive hen I had in front of B-Mobile.

We watched him for a few minutes and I noticed he had a dang fine set of spurs on him. I told Dagger’s to kill him anytime he was ready, which he promptly did. Daggers picked his bird up and placed him behind the blind out of sight. The plan was to stay put and wait out the group of 6 we had roosted. After sitting for a while we called in 4 jakes that violated one of my hen decoys for a lengthy period. They finally let and we got a hen fired up that came in our area for a little back and forth hen talk. After she left it was dead for a while. Daggers and I would give a few calls every 10 to 15 minutes. During one of my series Daggers said a gobbler answered me so I gave another call which was answered again. It wasn’t long and I could hear the gobbler answer me so I knew it had closed the distance. Turns out it was the group of 6 we had roosted and they were coming fast. I started picking up movement in the timber in front of us. The bright red heads stuck out the timber big time and where easy to track. The first gobbler entered our field and he held his ground waiting on back up. He was soon followed by his 5 buddies. It did not take them long to figure out they had B-Mobile outnumbered and where headed to him. All 6 waded up around B-Mobile so I had to be careful not to kill multiple birds. I finally had a window where there was some separation and I took the shot. Daggers was able to get most of the action and kill on video with his phone. That’s a nice little video to have saved and I bet I’ve watched it a half dozen times already.

We pulled out for Oklahoma on 4/4 after getting some much needed rest. It was going to be a long drive to OK from IL. We broke this drive up by driving most of it the first day and spent the night and finished the last 4 hours the following day. This put us in OK in time to get checked into our hotel and rest a little before going to roost some birds for opening morning. This was my first time to OK and it was similar to north central Kansas in some ways. We spent a good portion of the afternoon riding and looking for birds. We covered a lot of ground to only see a few turkeys. I was hopefully optimistic the turkeys just weren’t out in the fields that afternoon. Right at dark we pulled up to a known roost location on a farm we could hunt. Daggers rolled down the window and we were greeted with some hen talk and some gobbles as the bird were working their way into the area to roost. We both ease out of the truck for a better listen and to pin point which group of trees the roost in. I’m standing on a bank above the road and Daggers is standing in the road. A few minutes pass and Dagger’s gets my attention. He’s motioning for me to look up the road and there stands a hen. She was walking down the road headed to the same roost sight. We watch her for a few minutes; she decides we aren’t any threat to her and she continues on her way. She literally walked within feet of Daggers standing in the middle of a public road and the truck. This blew my mind as I’ve never had a wild turkey do that before. We ended up putting a good flock of turkey’s to bed and several gobblers for the opener.

We arrive way before daylight and we get in tight to roost. Daggers told me being we didn’t know exactly what direction the birds would go when they flew down he wanted to be in their bedroom when their feet hit the ground. I find a big cotton wood tree to set up on while Dagger’s puts out a few decoys. By the time we are settled in some hens are starting to talk and soon followed by several gobbles. This continues for the next 30 minutes in the dark and only intensifies as it starts to get daylight. This was a very exciting situation; I started to shiver from the flood of adrenalin and anticipation of what was to come. Once it was good light turkey started flying down behind us and we began to call. We had a steady stream of turkey talk and gobbles from this folk of birds from the time their feet hit the ground. The only problem was we were facing the wrong way and could not see a single turkey. We kept the heat on with our calling and within minutes we had birds working our direction. I could hear phfttttttttt…..doooom just off Dagger’s left shoulder. This turkey was within feet of us. I kept cutting my eye hard to my left hoping to catch a glimpse of the gobbler. As I’m straining to cut eyes that far left I hear wing tips dragging off my right shoulder. The gobbler had circled behind us and was now coming around my side. I cut my eye’s hard right and see this gobbler pass by within feet of me heading to the decoys. He was soon followed by his running buddy and several more turkey’s. I did not have a clear shot for several minutes but finally got some separation. I counted to 3 and we both shot. Dagger’s dropped his and I missed but quickly recovered with a follow on my bird. An opening day double was in the books on my first trip to Oklahoma.

We headed back to town to clean our birds and grab some breakfast. Once we have that out of the way Daggers wanted to go try a mid-day hunt on another farm. We find some sign on a fence row and find a good shady spot to set up. The two neighbour’s property had good turkey habitat so we felt like we were in a good area. The birds were using the fence row we were set up on and Daggers told me with confidence, we are gonna kill on this set up. About 45 minutes into the hunt Dagger hears a hen answering me every time I gave a call on the box. We are into the hunt an hour or so and haven’t seen a turkey or heard any gobbles. We were discussing leaving when we both heard phftttttt…….doom at the same time. We went into scramble mood to get into position as the turkey was dead behind us over a little berm. He was so close I could hear his wing tips dragging the ground as he strutted back and forth behind us. I slip a mouth call in and start giving him some soft talk and he gobbles within a few feet of us and about blows my hat off. I really enjoyed that so I made him do it again several more times. Finally the bird works around to David’s left side and comes through the fence. I yelp to him one last time before Dagger’s unleash the TSS at 10 steps. That’s 3 in the books half way into the first day.

We decide to split up that afternoon on a farm we can hunt in an adjoining county. I head to another known roost area and get settled in. Dagger’s goes to a cow pasture nearby. I don’t know all the fine details of Daggers hunt that afternoon but he promptly calls in two gobblers and kills his 3rd bird that afternoon. I have action shortly after I get settled in and it’s none stop until dark. I manage to call in 6 different mature birds and don’t fire a shot. I never had one get in an opening when I was in position to shoot that direction. I had birds coming for different directions and trying to pick which way to point my gun was challenge. Needless to say I didn’t pick the right direction for the particular bird that was in range and offered a shot at that moment. I don’t think I have ever called that much over several hours in my life. Those turkey’s absolutely love to be called to and often. It was very fun afternoon even though I didn’t pull the trigger.

The 2nd day arrives and I’m set up tight on this roost sight. I’m hoping one of the gobblers will pitch down close and I can end the hunt quickly. That was not the case and all the birds headed away from me. I felt confident I could move a 100 yards to an area where I saw a couple gobblers strut the afternoon before. I ease to this area and give a few calls. I have a gobbler answer me and he was soon on his way. A few minutes pass and I see him coming down a fence row. He’s moving at a pretty face pace. He blows through my one and only opening and doesn’t give me a shot. I don’t understand why I couldn’t stop him but I soon figure it out. I look back up the hill in the direction he came from and there are two strutters and a single hen headed my way. I soft talk the hen right by me and the two gobblers soon follow. At 15 yards I call to stop them and the lead bird cuts me off with a thundering gobble. He never retracts his head before the TSS found it’s mark. I have #2 in the bag and looking for my limit bird. I could have killed his running buddy but I wanted another hunt so I let him live to see another day.

We head back to the county we started in once my bird is cleaned and taken care of. We go to farm with a pretty wheat field and set up a blind and some decoys. We were not there long and I spot 3 red heads sticking up out of the wheat about 350 yards away. It’s very windy so I start cranking the box call and they are on the way. They cover the ground between us pretty quickly and I get ready. Daggers is on the bino’s looking at spurs for me. He quickly gives me the green light they are PBT’s and I need to kill one of them. I unleash the TSS and I have my 3rd bird in the bag and limit filled.

Last edited by Squeaky; 04/12/17 11:27 AM.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086671
04/12/17 11:44 AM
04/12/17 11:44 AM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Offline
Booner
crenshawco  Offline
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne
Looks like y'all had a heck of a trip. Congrats!

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086673
04/12/17 11:46 AM
04/12/17 11:46 AM
North Alabama
YEKRUT Offline
Turkey Nut
YEKRUT  Offline
Turkey Nut
North Alabama
Congrats guys!

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086683
04/12/17 11:58 AM
04/12/17 11:58 AM
South of 20/North of 10
North40R Offline
14 point
North40R  Offline
14 point
South of 20/North of 10
Awesome! Congrats to both of you!

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience. Emerson
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086692
04/12/17 12:16 PM
04/12/17 12:16 PM
Central, Al
Bustinbeards Offline
Booner
Bustinbeards  Offline
Booner
Central, Al
Buncha Dang Killas!! Congrats on a great trip Fellas!!

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Well, the way I see it is there's just too many assholes
On a good day there's a bunch of assholes in here. On a bad day there's too many assholes in here.
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086711
04/12/17 12:44 PM
04/12/17 12:44 PM
Jasper
M
mikewhandley Offline
8 point
mikewhandley  Offline
8 point
M
Jasper
Great story!!! Congrats

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086714
04/12/17 12:49 PM
04/12/17 12:49 PM

O
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
O

Nice congrats to ya both Mike!

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086726
04/12/17 01:03 PM
04/12/17 01:03 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
Congrats fellas. Dave is a bad man on turkeys

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086727
04/12/17 01:07 PM
04/12/17 01:07 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Good job guys. Makes me wish I could leave the state one day in the spring. Ole Daggerz is a turkeys worst nightmare.

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086730
04/12/17 01:11 PM
04/12/17 01:11 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
When Dave brings out that Lonnie Snead slate it's time for the lights to go out

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: BrentM] #2086775
04/12/17 02:13 PM
04/12/17 02:13 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Originally Posted By: BrentM
When Dave brings out that Lonnie Snead slate it's time for the lights to go out

Most of the time. Yes. As long as the shooters do their job mad

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086789
04/12/17 02:38 PM
04/12/17 02:38 PM
Harvest, AL
AU coonhunter Offline
10 point
AU coonhunter  Offline
10 point
Harvest, AL
Awesome trip, congrats guys.

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086808
04/12/17 03:00 PM
04/12/17 03:00 PM
Jackson county
t123winters Offline
10 point
t123winters  Offline
10 point
Jackson county
congrats Mike,and Dave,and you are rite ole Dave can sure run a call!!

I would rather be turkey hunting
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086819
04/12/17 03:14 PM
04/12/17 03:14 PM
West Alabama
Ant67 Offline
10 point
Ant67  Offline
10 point
West Alabama
Congrats. Headed to Illinois (Massac Counfy) next week and hope they cooperate half as much.

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Ant67] #2086824
04/12/17 03:19 PM
04/12/17 03:19 PM
Covington County
Squeaky Offline OP
12 point
Squeaky  Offline OP
12 point
Covington County
Originally Posted By: Ant67
Congrats. Headed to Illinois (Massac Counfy) next week and hope they cooperate half as much.

You should hit it right in my opinion. Birds were still grouped up from what I saw.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086826
04/12/17 03:24 PM
04/12/17 03:24 PM
Houston County
H
Hoytdad10 Offline
8 point
Hoytdad10  Offline
8 point
H
Houston County
Congrats

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086831
04/12/17 03:29 PM
04/12/17 03:29 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Sounds like a great trip! Congrats!

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086860
04/12/17 03:55 PM
04/12/17 03:55 PM
Central Alabama
Y
Yelp softly Offline
10 point
Yelp softly  Offline
10 point
Y
Central Alabama
Superb gents. I am insanely jealous. I'm still trying to fill a limit here then hope to hit Kentucky or Missouri in a few weeks.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086871
04/12/17 04:06 PM
04/12/17 04:06 PM
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Bamabucks14 Offline
12 point
Bamabucks14  Offline
12 point
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Great hunts! Congrats!

"Here, take this land mine and protect your property with it."
-Ron Swanson
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086878
04/12/17 04:17 PM
04/12/17 04:17 PM
Hampton Cove
foldemup Offline
14 point
foldemup  Offline
14 point
Hampton Cove
Glad you guys wore them out! Congrats!

If you want to always win, never play anyone better than you!
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086904
04/12/17 04:39 PM
04/12/17 04:39 PM
Northport, Al.
BOFF Offline
Booner
BOFF  Offline
Booner
Northport, Al.
WOW!!

I'm exhausted just reading about all the action!

Congrats you two!

God Bless,
David B.

Premium member #8925
Team Rack Addicts
2016 Aldeer Deer Champions

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2086953
04/12/17 05:23 PM
04/12/17 05:23 PM
AL
Gobble4me757 Offline
12 point
Gobble4me757  Offline
12 point
AL
That's awesome! Congrats

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087011
04/12/17 07:55 PM
04/12/17 07:55 PM
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
thumbup thumbup

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087014
04/12/17 08:47 PM
04/12/17 08:47 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Awesome trip teammate. Enjoyed reading about it!

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087071
04/13/17 01:45 AM
04/13/17 01:45 AM
Winston Co
beRAD Offline
4 point
beRAD  Offline
4 point
Winston Co
Congrats!

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087142
04/13/17 03:23 AM
04/13/17 03:23 AM
Owens Xrds
AUwrestler Offline
10 point
AUwrestler  Offline
10 point
Owens Xrds
That sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore I believe in work, hard work. -George Petrie (1945)
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087150
04/13/17 03:29 AM
04/13/17 03:29 AM
Livingston, AL
C
Camden86 Offline
4 point
Camden86  Offline
4 point
C
Livingston, AL
What an awesome trip

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087166
04/13/17 03:37 AM
04/13/17 03:37 AM
Pike Road, Al
M
Mully Offline
10 point
Mully  Offline
10 point
M
Pike Road, Al
Congrats! Heck of a trip!

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087203
04/13/17 04:10 AM
04/13/17 04:10 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Great stories! Congrats!

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087220
04/13/17 04:29 AM
04/13/17 04:29 AM
Bama
202P&Y Offline
6 point
202P&Y  Offline
6 point
Bama
Congrats fellas!

Proverbs 3:5-6
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087786
04/13/17 04:37 PM
04/13/17 04:37 PM
Lee County, Alabama
dBmV Offline
12 point
dBmV  Offline
12 point
Lee County, Alabama
Great write up. The trip sounds awesome.

What you do today, you have to sleep with tonight.
Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2087936
04/14/17 01:44 AM
04/14/17 01:44 AM
Harpersville, Al.
L
Leprechaun24 Offline
10 point
Leprechaun24  Offline
10 point
L
Harpersville, Al.
Awesome trip

Re: WOW….Illinois and Oklahoma Did Not Disappoint [Re: Squeaky] #2088043
04/14/17 03:54 AM
04/14/17 03:54 AM
Back on the line
Solo Offline
10 point
Solo  Offline
10 point
Back on the line
Enjoyed reading, congrats to you both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.