</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (russellb, rrice0725, CAL, BRP549, BACK40, CCC, Alb, Big Rack, kyles, sloughfoot), 1,174 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1994042
01/17/17 09:10 AM
01/17/17 09:10 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Shaw that would be tough. I can shoot left or right handed but am right eye dominant so I stick with the RH bows. I'm usually 9-10 ring up to 25-30 yards but it isn't as consistent so I keep my shots on deer to 20 and below. The cover I hunt won't usually allow me a longer shot than that anyway

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Shaw] #1994190
01/17/17 11:06 AM
01/17/17 11:06 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Shaw
I shoot a longbow instinctive and do pretty good to 20 yards as well. Past 20 yards and it's a crap shoot. I'm left eye dominant, shooting right handed with both eyes open. Some of the trad guys I've shot around don't see how I do it. grin

Don't let it discourage you. Howard Hill shot right hand and was left eye dominant.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1994349
01/17/17 01:26 PM
01/17/17 01:26 PM
Fosters, Alabama, USA
Shaw Offline
Administrator
Shaw  Offline
Administrator
Fosters, Alabama, USA
Oh it doesn't. One of these seasons I'm going to get serious about it and kill one with it.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." Captain Woodrow F. Call

ShawBuilt Custom Bowstrings
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Shaw] #1994379
01/17/17 01:55 PM
01/17/17 01:55 PM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6
I did for years. Killed stuff too.

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1994619
01/17/17 04:25 PM
01/17/17 04:25 PM
Tuscaloosa, Ralph,Fosters
Turkeyboy Offline
6 point
Turkeyboy  Offline
6 point
Tuscaloosa, Ralph,Fosters
I'm also left eye dominant but shoot my recurves instinctively (snap shoot) right handed, never look at the arrow, if u do u r aiming. Consistent form very important.and yes, just like throwing a baseball, you're not aiming but focused on the target and my effective range was that distance from the pitchers mound to hone plate.

The Earth is Gods footstool
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1994793
01/17/17 06:54 PM
01/17/17 06:54 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Look up Rick Welch on YouTube. He shoots a recurve, but you get a lot of info on form and how to shoot instinctively.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Turkeyboy] #1996418
01/19/17 07:08 AM
01/19/17 07:08 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Turkeyboy
I'm also left eye dominant but shoot my recurves instinctively (snap shoot) right handed, never look at the arrow, if u do u r aiming. Consistent form very important.and yes, just like throwing a baseball, you're not aiming but focused on the target and my effective range was that distance from the pitchers mound to hone plate.

I don't care how anyone shoots as long as they can hit the target. I wouldn't however tell someone not to look at the arrow because that would be aiming.What difference does it make as long as they can hit the target?

There's a bunch of BS that goes on at trad shoots about how a person shoots and if it's really trad archery.IMHO most of it boils down to some guys who can't shoot trying to tell someone who can that they aren't doing it right.

Personally,I don't think it should matter how a person shoots as long as they are using the same equipment. I've seen the trad police try to disqualify someone because they were gap shooting. I mean the guy was shooting the same equipment as the instinctive shooter and took no longer to make the shot but the instinctive guy wanted the gap shooter disqualified because he wasn't doing it right. What it amounted to really was that the gap shooter was a better shot than the instinctive guy and he was pissed because of it.

If instinctive shooting is really better let the targets decide.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: R_H_Clark] #1996443
01/19/17 07:27 AM
01/19/17 07:27 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

I don't care how anyone shoots as long as they can hit the target. I wouldn't however tell someone not to look at the arrow because that would be aiming.What difference does it make as long as they can hit the target?

There's a bunch of BS that goes on at trad shoots about how a person shoots and if it's really trad archery.IMHO most of it boils down to some guys who can't shoot trying to tell someone who can that they aren't doing it right.

Personally,I don't think it should matter how a person shoots as long as they are using the same equipment. I've seen the trad police try to disqualify someone because they were gap shooting. I mean the guy was shooting the same equipment as the instinctive shooter and took no longer to make the shot but the instinctive guy wanted the gap shooter disqualified because he wasn't doing it right. What it amounted to really was that the gap shooter was a better shot than the instinctive guy and he was pissed because of it.

As a side note the thread title is "Shooting a Compound Instinctively"[b][/b].

I understand what you are saying, though.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Fun4all] #1996910
01/19/17 02:02 PM
01/19/17 02:02 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Fun4all

As a side note the thread title is "Shooting a Compound Instinctively"[b][/b].

I understand what you are saying, though.

Yea,I nearly went on a rant there.LOL

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: R_H_Clark] #1997657
01/20/17 04:45 AM
01/20/17 04:45 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL

It isn't better or worse. It's just 2 different ways to shoot a trad bow. The point is, some people have practiced to shoot instinctively and do so very well while some haven't and need to stick to gap shooting. There is no right or wrong way.

In defense of the instinctive shooters, gap shooting is easier to learn. To him it was probably the equivalent of shooting against a compound shooter with sights at 35 yards. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with gap shooting, it's just different and easier to learn. It's why most people gap shoot. I can do both and I'm accurate. I have hunted trad since I started hunting at age 12 and learned to shoot instinctive so I should be able to hit where I am looking.

If you can hit what your aiming for gap shooting, then gap shoot. If you can't keep a majority of your shots in the center on a target instinctive shooting, then you have no business hunting that way. Stick to gap shooting. People in the trad community are weird about it. You're always going to have someone who is more purist than you and I agree, it's annoying.

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Recurve] #1997670
01/20/17 04:56 AM
01/20/17 04:56 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Recurve

It isn't better or worse. It's just 2 different ways to shoot a trad bow. The point is, some people have practiced to shoot instinctively and do so very well while some haven't and need to stick to gap shooting. There is no right or wrong way.

In defense of the instinctive shooters, gap shooting is easier to learn. To him it was probably the equivalent of shooting against a compound shooter with sights at 35 yards. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with gap shooting, it's just different and easier to learn. It's why most people gap shoot. I can do both and I'm accurate. I have hunted trad since I started hunting at age 12 and learned to shoot instinctive so I should be able to hit where I am looking.

If you can hit what your aiming for gap shooting, then gap shoot. If you can't keep a majority of your shots in the center on a target instinctive shooting, then you have no business hunting that way. Stick to gap shooting. People in the trad community are weird about it. You're always going to have someone who is more purist than you and I agree, it's annoying.

I honestly don't see any advantage or disadvantage in either. I shoot where I'm looking too. I also shoot those thrown in the air foam discs with a flu flu, but I also use my arrow as a reference. It's just an unconscious thing most times.

Lots of trad police around preaching about what's traditional and what ain't. Some have given me crap about shooting a metal riser ILF. Those same hypocrites don't think about the fact that their string is made from one of the most technologically advanced materials on earth.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: R_H_Clark] #1997693
01/20/17 05:04 AM
01/20/17 05:04 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL

I honestly don't see any advantage or disadvantage in either. I shoot where I'm looking too. I also shoot those thrown in the air foam discs with a flu flu, but I also use my arrow as a reference. It's just an unconscious thing most times.

Lots of trad police around preaching about what's traditional and what ain't. Some have given me crap about shooting a metal riser ILF. Those same hypocrites don't think about the fact that their string is made from one of the most technologically advanced materials on earth.

I agree with you. I have dealt with it too. I use a Black Widow and will always use a Black Widow. An older guy that used to be in our club and made his own bows gave me crap about using a bow I didn't make. Another older guy that is still in our club and makes his own doesn't care. Granted, he was my other uncle in the club and he was just poking fun, but it shows the differences even in the traditional community. I don't care what you use as long as you use it well.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1997701
01/20/17 05:07 AM
01/20/17 05:07 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
But no, there isn't an advantage/disadvantage to either. It's just what you do better. If you are a better gap shooter, it's your advantage to shoot that way. If I was better at gap shooting, that's what I would do. I'm shooting without sights and a let off regardless and to me that's a skill to be proud of. Not digging on wheel bows in that last sentence.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1997761
01/20/17 05:45 AM
01/20/17 05:45 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Instinctive or GAP it doesn't matter, one has to make that individual decision.

I have always shot instinctive when using traditional equipment, I am working on range now, but even when I use(D) a compound with sights I tried keeping all shots at game inside of 20 yards and that has worked pretty well for 40 years. So basically, I am not losing or gaining anything between technology or lack there of.

At this point I want simple.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Recurve] #1998127
01/20/17 11:02 AM
01/20/17 11:02 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
But no, there isn't an advantage/disadvantage to either. It's just what you do better. If you are a better gap shooter, it's your advantage to shoot that way. If I was better at gap shooting, that's what I would do. I'm shooting without sights and a let off regardless and to me that's a skill to be proud of. Not digging on wheel bows in that last sentence.

I can understand that. I enjoy all kinds of stickbows. I've got 8 or 10 . My main hunting bow is a Black Widow PLX longbow. I also shoot and make selfbows. I also own several target ILF bows. The main reason i enjoy them more than a compound is the skill and practice that it takes to shoot them well. It gives me more of a sense of accomplishment to make a great shot with a stickbow than with a compound.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1998546
01/20/17 04:56 PM
01/20/17 04:56 PM
Hartselle, AL
N
NWALJM Offline OP
10 point
NWALJM  Offline OP
10 point
N
Hartselle, AL
RH being a fellow NW Alabaman are you familiar with Wolf Archery in Russellville? I've looked at there website a couple times, would like to give a longbow a try one day.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1998680
01/20/17 08:08 PM
01/20/17 08:08 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
No sir, I'm not familiar with them. Have you shot any longbows before? One of the ASTB shoots would be a great place to try a bunch of different bows. You can shoot my Widow PL 55lbs at 28 and 62" long. PM me if you want and we will try to get together sometime and shoot.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1998722
01/21/17 01:57 AM
01/21/17 01:57 AM
Behind your shadow
R
Reloader79 Offline
Bitch Peas, I'm a Kitty Whisperer
Reloader79  Offline
Bitch Peas, I'm a Kitty Whisperer
R
Behind your shadow
The injuns didn't have any sights or releases. That's instinctive, they survived for years that way.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Bluetick serpentines around green fields and rock spit a lease
Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: Fun4all] #1998837
01/21/17 04:38 AM
01/21/17 04:38 AM
Marshall County, Alabama
B
BamaArchery Offline
spike
BamaArchery  Offline
spike
B
Marshall County, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Fun4all
Look up Rick Welch on YouTube. He shoots a recurve, but you get a lot of info on form and how to shoot instinctively.

I would recommend looking up Jeff Kavanagh on YouTube as well.

Re: Shooting a Compound Instinctively [Re: NWALJM] #1998853
01/21/17 05:01 AM
01/21/17 05:01 AM
Marshall County, Alabama
B
BamaArchery Offline
spike
BamaArchery  Offline
spike
B
Marshall County, Alabama
I shoot a compound bow instinctively. I've used both a mechanical release and fingers, but I prefer fingers though. If you want to use a release, I would recommend a Hardcore 4 Revolution thumb release. I swapped to instinctive for a couple of reasons: less stuff to carry into the treestand, don't have to worry about a dead battery in my range finder (it happened more than once), less movement not having to range a deer, and being able to have more time to shoot in low light conditions. I am more confident in my shot making abilities without a sight than I am with one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.