</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Browning X-Bolt Speed SPR in 300 PRC
by FastXD. 05/06/24 08:03 AM
Franchi affinity 3 waterfowl elite 20ga
by Bows4evr. 05/06/24 08:01 AM
WTB: Low miles First Gen Toyota Tacoma
by Buck-bomb. 05/05/24 07:31 PM
Need a used car
by bamaeyedoc. 05/05/24 04:21 PM
Marucci Cat9 school bat 31/28 bbcor $90
by toyota05. 05/05/24 04:17 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Meat hunt outfitter?
by kodiak06. 05/06/24 09:29 AM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by kodiak06. 05/06/24 09:24 AM
Velvet
by Turkey_neck. 05/04/24 09:13 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 05/03/24 05:57 AM
Forever wild gun regs.
by Frankie. 05/01/24 03:42 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (DEADorALIVE, Geeb, Downwind, RCHRR, Raven, longshot, Xbow, Andalusia, DEDTRKY, Parker243, Shmoe, Brian_C, bug54, Semo, bamapanic, Fullthrottle, Backwards cowboy, Mully, doublefistful, HBWALKER14, CouchNapper, BigA47, Luxfisher, trlrdrdave, jdhunter2011, 7PTSPREAD, odocoileus, twaldrop4, Shaneomac2, Alb, geeb1, Gobble4me757, turkey247, hoytboy14, kodiak06, abolt300, Chaser357, deadeye48, Skillet, AU338MAG, snakebit, therealhojo, mathews prostaff, hayman, Showout, GomerPyle, courseup, 10mm, turkeychaser, deepwoods44, crocker, sj22, Floorman1, rutwad, turfarmer, bamaeyedoc, pickenstj, Kang, Joe4majors, RockFarmer, BentBarrel, Acorn, clayk, catdoctor, johnmcgowan, JDW25, BigEd, Snuffy, Thread Killer, aucountry, donia, cullbuck, Mbrock, cartervj, Bows4evr, Wildboar14, Hunting-231, crenshawco, WDE, fishhead, AL18, William, MarksOutdoors, TexasHuntress, Turkey_neck, DaffyDucksWorstNightmare, scrubbuck, AustinC, BrentsFX4, Squadron77, TideWJO, Madmax0818, outdoorguy88, Austin1, BPI, BraeBuckner, MC21, Stacey, Gut Pile 32, Gunpowder, Team_Stuckem, WEMOhunter, BC_Reb, AUSKEETER, Quack Quack Bang, Skullworks, FastXD, buzzard, AU7MM08, weatherby, graydw1, 000buck, hoggin, stl32, Holcomb, AJones, Lvlhdd, gatorbait154, 11 invisible), 1,367 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: Deadwood] #1947241
12/09/16 03:51 AM
12/09/16 03:51 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted By: Deadwood

Posting these county numbers are just one more tiny step to loss of hunting choices.

I agree with the rest of what you said but please explain what you mean by this a little better.

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947256
12/09/16 04:00 AM
12/09/16 04:00 AM
Cape San Blas, Florida
D
Deadwood Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
Deadwood  Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
D
Cape San Blas, Florida
I mean that with every little rule, every little law that passes, it seems that we are restricted more, not less, in the way we can hunt or fish or carry on with our lives. Every time the Government gets involved in anything, we end up with less freedom, not more. Usually that starts with an innocent little questionnaire or survey. Then some experts on a panel (a hand-picked, non-partisan one with no allegiances to the moneyed interests) get involved, and ultimately decide some sort of action needs to be taken to solve some crises that has been discovered. Do you see what I'm saying?

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: Deadwood] #1947289
12/09/16 04:24 AM
12/09/16 04:24 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted By: Deadwood
I mean that with every little rule, every little law that passes, it seems that we are restricted more, not less, in the way we can hunt or fish or carry on with our lives. Every time the Government gets involved in anything, we end up with less freedom, not more. Usually that starts with an innocent little questionnaire or survey. Then some experts on a panel (a hand-picked, non-partisan one with no allegiances to the moneyed interests) get involved, and ultimately decide some sort of action needs to be taken to solve some crises that has been discovered. Do you see what I'm saying?

Yes, and no one with half a brain can deny what you are saying is true. But almost everything that is passed down from the CAB and Chuckie to us is done this way. Throw in a few under the table deals and that is where we are. The Commissioner needs to an elected position.

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: centralala] #1947305
12/09/16 04:38 AM
12/09/16 04:38 AM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham
I agree with Deadwood.

What I don't agree with is Anarchy. And that's what we've got here in Alabama. God gave us rules to live by. Having rules is nothing new in society.

Someone from another state said it best on ALDEER a few days ago.... they'd never seen such a blatant disregard for game laws and personal property as they've seen in this state.

I would unequivocally agree with that.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947329
12/09/16 05:01 AM
12/09/16 05:01 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
There are substantially more posts on this board saying we have less deer today than before. Most replies from the LFTT threads report very low sightings. Yet it appears everybody wants complete freedom to use an Apache helicopter with a mini-gun to kill every living deer in the state. What gives, fellas? You don't get more deer by killing more deer. You don't get larger bucks by killing smaller bucks. So we have a 3 buck limit...We could have a two week shotgun only season and one buck tag. My word, the State gave 10 days in February (for Pete's sake!!!!!!!) because apparently we're such bad hunters we couldn't see a buck the other 3.5 months of deer season. You can pretty much still kill every doe that walks out, just pile em up holocaust style! And we're complaining and fear-mongering about the State wanting to get a better grip on our deer? And then use some straw man argument about stripping us of liberty? Abuse will ultimately strip us of hunting liberties, not governmental dictatorship.
I'm very close friends with the biologists on our military base...he often tells me he'd like to do some different things, but cannot trust the majority of our hunters. Not in the sense he thinks they're unlawful, but they can't be turned loose to use their own judgment because they'll just stack up whatever moves all season long.

Last edited by ikillbux; 12/09/16 05:02 AM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947334
12/09/16 05:04 AM
12/09/16 05:04 AM
coffee county
goodman_hunter Offline
Booner
goodman_hunter  Offline
Booner
coffee county
probably due to all the fl hunters killing out all the deer

For without victory, there is no survival
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947337
12/09/16 05:07 AM
12/09/16 05:07 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline
Booner
Geno  Offline
Booner
Old Florida
Damn FL hunters. Ought to be a law against 'em I say!! grin

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: ikillbux] #1947341
12/09/16 05:10 AM
12/09/16 05:10 AM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Online content
Booner
crenshawco  Online Content
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne
Originally Posted By: ikillbux
There are substantially more posts on this board saying we have less deer today than before. Most replies from the LFTT threads report very low sightings. Yet it appears everybody wants complete freedom to use an Apache helicopter with a mini-gun to kill every living deer in the state. What gives, fellas? You don't get more deer by killing more deer. You don't get larger bucks by killing smaller bucks. So we have a 3 buck limit...We could have a two week shotgun only season and one buck tag. My word, the State gave 10 days in February (for Pete's sake!!!!!!!) because apparently we're such bad hunters we couldn't see a buck the other 3.5 months of deer season. You can pretty much still kill every doe that walks out, just pile em up holocaust style! And we're complaining and fear-mongering about the State wanting to get a better grip on our deer? And then use some straw man argument about stripping us of liberty? Abuse will ultimately strip us of hunting liberties, not governmental dictatorship.
I'm very close friends with the biologists on our military base...he often tells me he'd like to do some different things, but cannot trust the majority of our hunters. Not in the sense he thinks they're unlawful, but they can't be turned loose to use their own judgment because they'll just stack up whatever moves all season long.

Based off of your posts in this thread, it sounds like to me you are the typical "trophy hunter," and there is not a thing wrong with that. But, you also sound like you think that your approach to hunting is the only right approach, and that simply isn't right. If a hunter wants to go out and shoot 3 small bucks a year, that ought to be his right to do so. Nobody should be forced into the QDMA crap because the group in charge forced it into regulation. That's not what hunting in Alabama has ever been about. It's always been left up to the hunters to have fairly liberal seasons and limits to make choices that they see fit. It's been that way for decades, and we still boast some of the largest deer and turkey populations in the nation. Sadly, it looks like those days are coming to an end with all these regulations.

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947348
12/09/16 05:19 AM
12/09/16 05:19 AM
Cape San Blas, Florida
D
Deadwood Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
Deadwood  Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
D
Cape San Blas, Florida
Well, ikillbux, the way I want to frame this response is not intended as an argument toward you, so please don't take it that way, but I do want to be clear. We're just 2 guys sitting around talking to each other, but I do want to make a couple of points, as you have.

I think I have probably as many deer on my property as I ever have had, and the size has not changed much, if any. I'm just one guy, with usually one guest. So killing the smaller bucks vs the larger bucks is not really apparent at my place. I stay within the legal limits and insist my guests do the same. I'm the boss on my lease, and I don't put up with questionable or unethical behavior. You are right in that the State "gives" me extra days in February. I "give' them the authority to govern me, you could say. I'm not hard on the does. My deer are doing just fine because I feed them in season and out of season for their health. My straw man argument about being stripped of liberty is real enough. I've never once seen Montgomery or Tallahassee convene the House or Senate to take laws OFF the books. They feel as though when they are passing laws, they are producing and doing their jobs. And you are right, in that my deer are your deer, but that cuts both ways. Your deer are my deer. So as far as being the neighbor that you can't trust to let one walk, your property and rights end where my rights and property begin. So trust that I'll hunt within the confines of the law, and to the limits of the law on my lease as I wish. I say all this with the utmost and sincere respect for you, and am glad to hear any counterpoints.

Best, Woody.

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: crenshawco] #1947364
12/09/16 05:27 AM
12/09/16 05:27 AM
Parts Unknown
Cletus Offline
10 point
Cletus  Offline
10 point
Parts Unknown
Originally Posted By: crenshawco

Based off of your posts in this thread, it sounds like to me you are the typical "trophy hunter," and there is not a thing wrong with that. But, you also sound like you think that your approach to hunting is the only right approach, and that simply isn't right. If a hunter wants to go out and shoot 3 small bucks a year, that ought to be his right to do so. Nobody should be forced into the QDMA crap because the group in charge forced it into regulation. That's not what hunting in Alabama has ever been about. It's always been left up to the hunters to have fairly liberal seasons and limits to make choices that they see fit. It's been that way for decades, and we still boast some of the largest deer and turkey populations in the nation. Sadly, it looks like those days are coming to an end with all these regulations.

Lot of truth in these words. Sadly it's all going down the toilet so the DCNR can boast that they are catching up to other states in regard to regulation and rules. All the while those other states wish they had our wildlife numbers and our hunting culture......and they can't figure out the reason.

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947391
12/09/16 05:56 AM
12/09/16 05:56 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
The last few posts including mine are sorta just representative of perspective (the cup half full / empty paradigm). I hate when these debates get argumentative, I consider you guys and gals my comprades! LOL

I made a point far up in this thread that I was not a trophy hunter, I even poked fun at myself for killing lots of little bucks through the years. I would call myself "middle ground". We truly do all agree that the trophy is in our own eyes, based off our preferences. I don't have illusions that you should hunt like I do (unless, like said above, you're on my place). I really didn't intend to derail the whole thread about anything except the merits of Game Check (or some other type management system)

I found a short article that "sorta" makes the point I'm contending. Again, I'm not even in the same world as a "trophy" hunter, LOL. I think the criticism this article makes though is DIRECTLY based off the mentality of Alabama deer hunters---the missing "trophy" element isn't because they aren't able to be here, but because our hunting paradigm here is so "anti" management.
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/antler-nation/2013/alabama-deer-hunting

Last edited by ikillbux; 12/09/16 05:59 AM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: AU7MM08] #1947419
12/09/16 06:17 AM
12/09/16 06:17 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline
Booner
E
Prattville AL
Originally Posted By: AU7MM08
What percentage of deer taken this year have been reported on game check?
60%?

Assuming deer are being killed at the same rate as last year, the Game Check registration rate is only 24.6% as of today.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947431
12/09/16 06:27 AM
12/09/16 06:27 AM
coffee county
goodman_hunter Offline
Booner
goodman_hunter  Offline
Booner
coffee county
ikillbux

i thought you said one time that you didnt eat deer meat and was a horn hunter?

For without victory, there is no survival
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: Goatkiller] #1947465
12/09/16 06:49 AM
12/09/16 06:49 AM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
I agree with Deadwood.

What I don't agree with is Anarchy. And that's what we've got here in Alabama. God gave us rules to live by. Having rules is nothing new in society.

Someone from another state said it best on ALDEER a few days ago.... they'd never seen such a blatant disregard for game laws and personal property as they've seen in this state.

I would unequivocally agree with that.

Sadly I have to agree with it too.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: ikillbux] #1947470
12/09/16 06:51 AM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest

^^^^^^This

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: ikillbux] #1947473
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan

This entire thread 100% proves my point I made earlier. I clearly stated that I would get reamed out for saying Alabamians are NOT quality management minded. I think my exact words were something like "if it's legal, then blah blah blah". And 575 dozen of y'all said it. I cannot understand this subconscious association with hunting regulations stealing your fun???? I am not a trophy-score hunter, heck I hunt local WMAs very often!!!! The whole "new hunter" argument is a straw man too. Nobody is deer shaming, we've all done it. I still kill does, always will. I guess the word I'm looking for is "discriminating". I am discriminate, with herd management in mind, when I kill ANY deer. And I don't think it's unreasonable to train children and new hunters to be this way--THEY ARE IN THOSE "TROPHY" STATES WE ARE JEALOUS OF. We aren't trying to grown genetically giant deer like Iowa, but we could substantially improve our herd and hunting experience in Alvabama with some modern mentality!
yup everybody is a dumbass except for "know it the mostest" AKA ikillbux

Super Predator
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: ikillbux] #1947475
12/09/16 06:54 AM
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan

It's not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the hunters.

Far more people in Alabama (heck, just look at this site) are angrily against Game Check. We don't have a bad system, we have a bad mentality. By and large we have a population of hunters who are ignorant about deer in general, and (at best) apathetic about deer management. Way more "if it's brown it's down" hunters than "trophy" hunters in Alabama. In Iowa you're in the minority if you kill a 1.5 yr old 4pt, in Alabama you're in the minority if you are against killing 1.5 yr old 4pts. See the difference?

It's a regular thread on here for a someone to criticize killing young bucks, and lots of other hunters will pile on him about "if it's legal, why do you care blah blah blah". We are far less management-minded here. Until Alabama hunters overcome this mindset, it won't matter what kind of system is in place.

Right now I hunt a military base that's about 20K acres. It's been on some style of DMP for about 10-15 years, and it's the most incredible herd I've ever hunted. EXTREMELY close to 1-1 ratio, substantial percentage of old-class animals, and it's a target rich environment where you can see 20+ deer on some hunts. It's dang near perfect because quality people are running it correctly!!!! As of this past weekend we reached our stated doe harvest numbers (100) and shut off the doe killing. Now, I personally wanted to shut down two weeks ago around 75 does. But 75% of the fellas out there are beside themselves!!!...they are pissed off about shutting down the does. These are also the same guys who continually bring in 2.5yr old, 13" wide 8pts (because hey, they're legal--4 on one side). We'll never overcome this mentality.
I strongly disagree with you "know it the mosest" aka ikillbux, the problem is the system and companies like your employer that has been given too much power in helping to shape hunting privileges

Super Predator
Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: crenshawco] #1947477
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted By: crenshawco

No we have not always had liberal doe seasons and highly doubt we still have some of the highest deer and especially turkey populations in the nation anymore.

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947483
12/09/16 06:58 AM
12/09/16 06:58 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Offline
8 point
Fishduck  Offline
8 point
F
Lamar
I have serious doubts about the validity of the numbers. My first assumption is that the kills are grossly unreported. My next assumption is that the reporting percentage is going to differ from county to county. Reporting percentage will be higher where there is public land, either WMA or national forest. The perception is that these areas are patrolled and thus individuals will be checked more often. Lots of factors that could skew the data!

Re: 5 Best Counties and 5 Worst [Re: SkiTar] #1947491
12/09/16 07:02 AM
12/09/16 07:02 AM
Prattville
D
Dkhargroves Offline
Booner
Dkhargroves  Offline
Booner
D
Prattville
popcorn

Originally Posted by Johntravis89
There is 2 different high fence. 1 small and one big! Mine was free range in the big pen and was not a breeder buck. Why does it have to be twisted around??
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.