</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Chronograph
by specialk. 05/19/24 07:42 PM
Kids Golf Club Set RH
by SuperSpike. 05/19/24 05:42 PM
Schwinn Tricycle
by SuperSpike. 05/19/24 05:30 PM
Remington 7600 matte black 3006 pump.
by BBGM. 05/19/24 05:18 PM
Ruger m77 mark 2 wood blued with scope 308
by BBGM. 05/19/24 05:14 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by Ridge Life. 05/19/24 08:29 PM
Tennessee
by ridgestalker. 05/18/24 07:18 AM
Research Update
by Ben2. 05/17/24 08:35 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by marshmud991. 05/17/24 08:29 PM
research data base
by Frankie. 05/17/24 07:50 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (JAT, Tree Dweller, jake5050, Beadlescomb, Okatuppa, MTeague, quickshot, CKyleC, Gut Pile 32, dave260rem!, Skinner), 1,235 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Mbrock] #1823278
08/23/16 04:44 PM
08/23/16 04:44 PM
Cullman County
Y
yotetrapper Offline
8 point
yotetrapper  Offline
8 point
Y
Cullman County
Originally Posted By: Mbrock
Dang game wardens. What are we to do with y'all?

Just don't put us close to a yeti cooler....it could disappear! wink

Jon Bartlett
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: yotetrapper] #1823284
08/23/16 04:49 PM
08/23/16 04:49 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Originally Posted By: yotetrapper

Either of y'all know the game wardens out of Monroe County?

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Mbrock] #1823289
08/23/16 04:50 PM
08/23/16 04:50 PM
West Alabama
Ant67 Offline
10 point
Ant67  Offline
10 point
West Alabama

Pat 90 percent on the back and thank them for the thankless job they do. Sasquatch would write his Moma a ticket but I think he is an honorable guy.

Last edited by Ant67; 08/23/16 04:53 PM.
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #1823290
08/23/16 04:51 PM
08/23/16 04:51 PM
Cullman County
Y
yotetrapper Offline
8 point
yotetrapper  Offline
8 point
Y
Cullman County

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Either of y'all know the game wardens out of Monroe County?

I've met them at training, but that's about all.

Jon Bartlett
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823300
08/23/16 04:55 PM
08/23/16 04:55 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Well all I'll say is that field deserved tickets or arrested or whatever. You done right yote trapper. If I did that at my farm I'd wear tennis shoes and advise my shooters too also. I call that a running shoot. But I'm way too fat and old for those these days. I just plant and manipulate it legal these days. When I see Wendell or Travis pull up I just smile and we all have a good time now!

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: yotetrapper] #1823329
08/23/16 05:18 PM
08/23/16 05:18 PM
cullman,al
deerfeeder89 Offline
10 point
deerfeeder89  Offline
10 point
cullman,al

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder89
Green britches will ticket you. I got one a couple years ago because i didnt plant at the right date. Hunting over bait is what i got on opeing day. Wont name names because he's a member here as well

confused name some names...I stand behind every arrest I've ever made.

Ok it was you and peppers, if you want to get real technical peppers wrote out my tickets and one others you wrote the other boys that was with us. It was a turned and disc seed bed with the millet and sogruhm growing around 8 to 10 inches tall with standing corn behind it. Peppers was real nice and explained everything because i thought we was legal excpet i was the only one with a hunting license thay wasnt expired, he said we what we planted wasnt planted at the right time so it counted as a baited field. Told me i had to disc it up and could plant winter wheat back and wait 10 days and I'd be legal. So.thays what i did

I documented that field for 2 weeks. Cracked corn, grain sorghum, proso millet and sunflower seeds are not planted in September, nor are they poured out in a field. The bait was freshened a few(2-4) days before opening day, it was not planted, it was placed solely to entice doves the the shoot. Looked a lot like the "classic" bird seed blend you'd get from Walmart; I may still have some pictures on my computer if I haven't deleted them just yet. I have a feeling you have some grudge against me...which is fine, grudge away. But when you question my integrity it becomes a whole other matter. Heck you once helped spread some rumor to the good folks on here that I was taking yeti coolers from people and selling them too...

I heard cullman lost one. (I won't mention his name but he gave 4 of us tickets for baited field during dove season because my millet wasn't planted on time it was a week after the so called plant date,he said he had been investigating it, even though my millet was 10"tall) I heard from several people he was confiscating yeti and other high dollar coolers along with guns from people in the national forest and when people went to pick them up from the S.O. they never got turned in. Supposedly he was keeping them and selling themy personally. But I know no truth to this story just what I was told. But I know I haven't seen him since I was told he got caught he use to drive by the house like clock work for the last 2 yrs.

If you are confused about why you were issued tickets for hunting over bait or you need technical assistance with a legal dove shoot I will be more than happy to meet with you and help you. However, I have a clear conscience about these tickets.

As i stated earlier peppers cleared any confusion up when we talked that day he was cool as a cucumber about it and like i said i didnt deal you that day you dealt with two others. As far as a rumor goes i know what your talking about and i was mainly asking a question might probally could have worded it a little different i was asking because i had heard on multiple occasions while we was hunting in in bank head/management area. I that time i currently didnt know was a member here or i would have just pmed you and asked you like that, if you'll read what you quoted you'll see where it says that i no know truth to that just what i had heard. I personally never quetioned your integrity i left your name out of the cooler fiasco, never mentioned your name. I have no grudge against you excpet you need to scoot over more next time I'm weedeating my ditch. Which goes for about everyone else that flys by barely scooting over so dont feel special there, if i honestly had a grudge against you do you think i would have asked to for advice about people trespassing on our land and stole my cameras? Your like most law enforcement probably a nice guy off the clock but on the clock not the friendliest of critters from being alert and aware. Seems to me like younjust have a bad taste in your mouth about me on this post, like i done before i left your name out and if you decide to chime in you'd chime in and you did, all i said was green britches will ticket you for what he was asking about doing said nothing bad about you and your first reply to this post was a stab at me then a helpful response to the OP. I didnt say jon bartlet will hunt you down and fine you for that, well nope. I dont know if you even cover where he lives or if someone else does. Which im sure there is more then one green britches thats memebers here. Glad all of them didnt jump my ass at once or i would have stared riot that fat lives matter.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: deerfeeder89] #1823339
08/23/16 05:26 PM
08/23/16 05:26 PM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama

Green britches will ticket you. I got one a couple years ago because i didnt plant at the right date. Hunting over bait is what i got on opeing day. Wont name names because he's a member here as well

Ok it was you and peppers, if you want to get real technical peppers wrote out my tickets and one others you wrote the other boys that was with us. It was a turned and disc seed bed with the millet and sogruhm growing around 8 to 10 inches tall with standing corn behind it. Peppers was real nice and explained everything because i thought we was legal excpet i was the only one with a hunting license thay wasnt expired, he said we what we planted wasnt planted at the right time so it counted as a baited field. Told me i had to disc it up and could plant winter wheat back and wait 10 days and I'd be legal. So.thays what i did

I documented that field for 2 weeks. Cracked corn, grain sorghum, proso millet and sunflower seeds are not planted in September, nor are they poured out in a field. The bait was freshened a few(2-4) days before opening day, it was not planted, it was placed solely to entice doves the the shoot. Looked a lot like the "classic" bird seed blend you'd get from Walmart; I may still have some pictures on my computer if I haven't deleted them just yet. I have a feeling you have some grudge against me...which is fine, grudge away. But when you question my integrity it becomes a whole other matter. Heck you once helped spread some rumor to the good folks on here that I was taking yeti coolers from people and selling them too...

I heard cullman lost one. (I won't mention his name but he gave 4 of us tickets for baited field during dove season because my millet wasn't planted on time it was a week after the so called plant date,he said he had been investigating it, even though my millet was 10"tall) I heard from several people he was confiscating yeti and other high dollar coolers along with guns from people in the national forest and when people went to pick them up from the S.O. they never got turned in. Supposedly he was keeping them and selling themy personally. But I know no truth to this story just what I was told. But I know I haven't seen him since I was told he got caught he use to drive by the house like clock work for the last 2 yrs.

If you are confused about why you were issued tickets for hunting over bait or you need technical assistance with a legal dove shoot I will be more than happy to meet with you and help you. However, I have a clear conscience about these tickets.

As i stated earlier peppers cleared any confusion up when we talked that day he was cool as a cucumber about it and like i said i didnt deal you that day you dealt with two others. As far as a rumor goes i know what your talking about and i was mainly asking a question might probally could have worded it a little different i was asking because i had heard on multiple occasions while we was hunting in in bank head/management area. I that time i currently didnt know was a member here or i would have just pmed you and asked you like that, if you'll read what you quoted you'll see where it says that i no know truth to that just what i had heard. I personally never quetioned your integrity i left your name out of the cooler fiasco, never mentioned your name. I have no grudge against you excpet you need to scoot over more next time I'm weedeating my ditch. Which goes for about everyone else that flys by barely scooting over so dont feel special there, if i honestly had a grudge against you do you think i would have asked to for advice about people trespassing on our land and stole my cameras? Your like most law enforcement probably a nice guy off the clock but on the clock not the friendliest of critters from being alert and aware. Seems to me like younjust have a bad taste in your mouth about me on this post, like i done before i left your name out and if you decide to chime in you'd chime in and you did, all i said was green britches will ticket you for what he was asking about doing said nothing bad about you and your first reply to this post was a stab at me then a helpful response to the OP. I didnt say jon bartlet will hunt you down and fine you for that, well nope. I dont know if you even cover where he lives or if someone else does. Which im sure there is more then one green britches thats memebers here. Glad all of them didnt jump my ass at once or i would have stared riot that fat lives matter.

Don't hold nothin back. We want your honest opinion.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: deerfeeder89] #1823352
08/23/16 05:37 PM
08/23/16 05:37 PM
Cullman County
Y
yotetrapper Offline
8 point
yotetrapper  Offline
8 point
Y
Cullman County

I don't have a "bad taste in mouth" from you. You seem like a good fella(especially the day we "met"), but when facts are left out...like the fact that there was more than just "late planted millet" on the dove field then it makes it appear that I'm am just out to get everyone for every nit picky thing I can get them on. I use a heck of a lot of discretion and common sense when it comes to writing tickets because my name goes with any ticket I write(or ticket I assist with). A few "nonsense or bad" tickets and my reputation/integrity is tarnished; therefore I make it a point to make the Best cases I can and if I am unsure I give the benefit of the doubt to the suspect. Same goes for rumors, doesn't take a whole lot of rumors before people start questioning my integrity.

All that said, I have no ill will toward you and I hope if you have a problem or question you'll contact me.

Jon Bartlett
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823372
08/23/16 06:20 PM
08/23/16 06:20 PM
cullman,al
deerfeeder89 Offline
10 point
deerfeeder89  Offline
10 point
cullman,al
Same goes here Jon no hard feelings, throw a turd in the punch bowl and you end up with a shucks storm when a few words get left out or things get worded wrong and taken for some other then the meening they were ment to be. I'll give you call if i have a issue/question for the mean time i need to know your schedule for checking lake catoma so i can take my 9.9 with 25hp stickers on it, there and fish. While your patrolling the woods. laugh

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823393
08/23/16 08:55 PM
08/23/16 08:55 PM
alabama
outdoors1 Offline
10 point
outdoors1  Offline
10 point
alabama
What I have seen growing up in the area I lived if you where not invited to a large farmers dove hunt you probably was wasting your time hunting them. Most hunters just don't have the resources or opportunities that larger operations have to provide food throughout the year. With all the technical law translation hunting in some cases has become more of a nuisance than a opportunity to enjoy our resources. If everyone could feed the doves by broadcast spreading wouldn't more people become involved in sport? Maybe there should be some better local control on numbers harvested depending on local surveys in the future and more collarboration with the feds. The more feed you put out could provide more food to support the game. Adjust the limit and season based on the numbers of doves not just let a select few enjoy the hunt because they have best land access.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: outdoors1] #1823597
08/24/16 05:02 AM
08/24/16 05:02 AM
Sumter County
sumpter_al Offline
10 point
sumpter_al  Offline
10 point
Sumter County

Originally Posted By: outdoors1
What I have seen growing up in the area I lived if you where not invited to a large farmers dove hunt you probably was wasting your time hunting them. Most hunters just don't have the resources or opportunities that larger operations have to provide food throughout the year. With all the technical law translation hunting in some cases has become more of a nuisance than a opportunity to enjoy our resources. If everyone could feed the doves by broadcast spreading wouldn't more people become involved in sport? Maybe there should be some better local control on numbers harvested depending on local surveys in the future and more collarboration with the feds. The more feed you put out could provide more food to support the game. Adjust the limit and season based on the numbers of doves not just let a select few enjoy the hunt because they have best land access.

We used to plant millet and sunflowers and then use a 6' bush hog to cut rows in it. One 6' pass every week for a few weeks prior to season. I understand that is a legal way to do it and it is not really that expensive, but it takes time to go and do it on the regular basis. If you miss a week or two of bushhogging the doves will leave and probably not return...

Hopefully the wardens on here on someone in the know could say if that is in fact legal.

I love my country, but don't trust my government.
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: sumpter_al] #1823822
08/24/16 08:56 AM
08/24/16 08:56 AM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Online content
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Online Content
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield

Originally Posted By: sumpter_al

Originally Posted By: outdoors1

We used to plant millet and sunflowers and then use a 6' bush hog to cut rows in it. One 6' pass every week for a few weeks prior to season. I understand that is a legal way to do it and it is not really that expensive, but it takes time to go and do it on the regular basis. If you miss a week or two of bushhogging the doves will leave and probably not return...

Hopefully the wardens on here on someone in the know could say if that is in fact legal.

Seems like it would be but I dont think farmers harvest one row a week?

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823827
08/24/16 09:05 AM
08/24/16 09:05 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Mowing down the millet and sunflowers is not a normal practice. Mowing millet, scattering the seeds, raking it and bailing would be a normal practice. Then hunting over the field.

Planting sunflowers and mowing them down to plant a winter crop is normal. After mowing, lightly disk and top sow wheat. That's normal AND about the best dove hunt you can have.

Manipulating a crop for the purpose of attracting doves to hunt is baiting. There are legal ways to do this and attract a lot of birds. Mowing down a standing crop, as explained to me, is not legal. Maybe yote trapper can verify.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823855
08/24/16 09:28 AM
Coosa County
T
Turkey Offline
10 point
Turkey  Offline
10 point
T
Coosa County
So, a "Yes" or "No" question: If I go out into an old pasture, disk up a couple of acres, then broadcast 350# of seed wheat, am I legal? Best I can tell from this is "Yes". Does this need to be done 10 days or more before opening day? Last question: This pasture is between 2 ponds that I would like to shoot geese over. It is adjacent to one of the ponds. It is separated from the other pond by a 100 yard strip of woods. Can I legally shoot geese at both ponds, neither pond, or only the pond away from the pasture?

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Mbrock] #1823856
Lake View, AL
Joe4majors Offline
14 point
Joe4majors  Offline
14 point
Lake View, AL
Mowing down the millet and sunflowers is not a normal practice. Mowing millet, scattering the seeds, raking it and bailing would be a normal practice. Then hunting over the field.

Planting sunflowers and mowing them down to plant a winter crop is normal. After mowing, lightly disk and top sow wheat. That's normal AND about the best dove hunt you can have.

Manipulating a crop for the purpose of attracting doves to hunt is baiting. There are legal ways to do this and attract a lot of birds. Mowing down a standing crop, as explained to me, is not legal. Maybe yote trapper can verify.

This is from what the extension office puts out...about to go teach at the moment, but pulled out a couple paragraphs that adds to the confusion.

ANR-1467

...common practices such as mowing, raking,
light disking, or prescribed burning should be used to
“knock down” these plants.... Does that mean you have to do all those steps or does that "OR" truly mean you can do one of those things?

"Browntop millet or other early maturing grains may be
planted as soon as the danger of frost is past to provide
seed during summer for fledglings and nesting adults.
Later plantings may be made to ensure that plenty of
seed is available during the hunting season. Additionally,
combinations of multiple preferred food plants (e.g.,
browntop millet and sunflowers) may be planted in strips
within the same field to add further food diversity.
Once plants are mature and just prior to the hunting
season, common practices such as mowing, raking,
light disking, OR prescribed burning should be used to
“knock down” these plants, thereby making seeds
accessible to doves on the ground. Remember that
doves are not strong scratchers and prefer seeds
that can be easily found on open, bare ground with
very little ground debris (i.e., old dead vegetation).
Depending on your objectives, it may be beneficial
to only MANIPULATE portions of the standing plants
(e.g., 25 percent of the field) within each field at one
time, allowing the balance of the field to be managed
just before hunts conducted later in the season."

Another Portion
"1. Planted into a seedbed that has not been tilled.
Recommended practices for planting into an
unprepared seedbed include using a no-till drill,
broadcasting seeds into cotton stubble that remains
after harvest followed by mowing the cotton
stubble, and aerial seeding into standing crops,
such as cotton or soybeans, prior to defoliation
or leaf drop."

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823870
08/24/16 09:37 AM
08/24/16 09:37 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline
Booner
Geno  Offline
Booner
Old Florida
Manipulation of crops for the purpose of attracting doves is illegal.

Sounds just like an Alabama law.

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1823886
08/24/16 09:49 AM
08/24/16 09:49 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
LEO officers are supposed to accept anything in that publication so I may be wrong on the manipulation of standing crops. I'll let Jon answer that question when he returns.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1824626
08/25/16 03:52 AM
08/25/16 03:52 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
I was told by the biologist at the District 2 office that i could use the throw and mow method with my food plot seed and be legal as long as i don't go over the reccomended seed rates. I will be mowing down standing millet.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Geno] #1824634
08/25/16 03:58 AM
08/25/16 03:58 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Geno
Manipulation of crops for the purpose of attracting doves is illegal.

Sounds just like an Alabama law.

Manipulation of crops is legal for dove per the dnr website.

Re: Cracked corn for holding doves [Re: Megatrondiablo] #1824642
08/25/16 04:08 AM
08/25/16 04:08 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Ok. That clears it up. If a crop is planted for wildlife it can be manipulated.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.