</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
2019 Chevrolet express van 2500
by Dan4good. 05/08/24 12:20 PM
PMM 280 Ackley
by AL18. 05/08/24 11:27 AM
ISO boxblade
by kntree. 05/07/24 09:48 PM
WTB: 20ga remchoke
by AU7MM08. 05/07/24 05:01 PM
G Force AR style 12ga
by MikeP. 05/07/24 02:29 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas Bowhunt timing
by jdhunter2011. 05/08/24 11:54 AM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Antelope08. 05/08/24 07:39 AM
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by marshmud991. 05/06/24 05:08 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Snuffy. 05/06/24 03:28 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by Overland. 05/06/24 02:53 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Who's Online Now
127 registered members (South Ala Hunter, Rem870s2, BamaBoHunter, jawbone, 4Tigers, timberwolfe, canichols424, Duals, RidgeRanger, Shane99, HBWALKER14, SuperSpike, GomerPyle, JSanford1974, Scout1621, abolt300, 7x57_Mauser, 7PTSPREAD, Trecker1, !shiloh!, Ol’Tom, Floorman1, doc bar, BC_Reb, GrandSlam, Hester, coldtrail, seminole1, Keysbowman, kaferhaus, Fishduck, Flyliner, PineTop, BCLC, fur_n_feathers, Turkeyneck78, graydw1, Ruger7mag, centralala, Whild_Bill, scrape, canine933, dtmwtp, Exhoosier, Turkey, Woody1, Mbrock, Bustinbeards, Okatuppa, SouthBamaSlayer, BACK40, tmhrmh1, slanddeerhunter, buzzard, ColeT, beeline08, crocker, dawgdr, William, BamaPlowboy, Shaneomac2, Sasquatch Lives, Uokman2014, Gobble4me757, TideWJO, hallb, Showout, Morris, zgobbler5, skoor, SnipeHunter, SEWoodsWhitetail, cbs, Mulcher, donia, desertdog, MTeague, BamaFan64, Ryano, Beer Belly, outdoorguy88, jtillery, Bigem1958, CarbonClimber1, 700ltr308, jdhunter2011, Jtide, ts1979flh, zwick, huntdeer13, Frankie, PossumPecker, cdaddy14, top cat, Dean, sj22, rkt, burbank, Dan4good, IMISSALDEER, JohnG, Jmkiper, Reptar, icducks, Ray_Coon, Raspy, treemydog, Whitetaillane, Treelimb, Stacey, CatHeadBiscuit, CatfishJunkie, PourIron12, BearBranch, Ridgehunter36, Coosa1, 3Gs, 10 invisible), 1,105 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592380
01/03/16 05:43 AM
01/03/16 05:43 AM
North AL
C
Calhoun Offline
spike
Calhoun  Offline
spike
C
North AL
There's probably a scientific principle involved but good old logic would lead one to think that a situation in which there are more predators than prey would not be possible unless the coyotes start eating each other.

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592386
01/03/16 05:49 AM
01/03/16 05:49 AM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie
Originally Posted By: codie
Originally Posted By: trox28
Damn you're weird

Well let's see. You are aware of the history of the whitetail deer, I assume. Feel free to point out my mistakes.
The whitetail deer thrived in America prior to our, ancestors arrival. They arrived and started consuming the deer. They salted or preserved their food by drying, etc. They were at a disadvantage in those days, no freezers to fill. They continued to live of the deer for quite awhile. Muzzle loaders were used during the civil war and the mini ball was invented. It was devastating to both armies and the deer as the armies foraged for food. Unregulated market hunting became popular as time passed. Game laws didn't exist and around 1900, someone said this is just plain stupid we're wiping out our deer herd. State governments stepped in and stopped the carnage. But, it was too late. Restocking efforts were undertaken and the herd thrived. Somewhere along the line so called deer biologists, deer managers, Quality Deer Management Associatons, etc. were created. These guys were taught you can't kill to many does, they are so so wary and elusive. Let's give every redneck hunter in Alabama a two deer a day antlerless season. After all the season only lasts 3 and a half months. Let's do this for the next ten years and see what happens.
Trox you have in rebuttals?

What's any of that have to do with coyotes??

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592392
01/03/16 05:52 AM
01/03/16 05:52 AM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie
There's way more deer. Stupid question. Next.

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592443
01/03/16 06:42 AM
01/03/16 06:42 AM
Near the Trussell
BPS Offline
10 point
BPS  Offline
10 point
Near the Trussell
Originally Posted By: codie
Damn you're weird

Well let's see. You are aware of the history of the whitetail deer, I assume. Feel free to point out my mistakes.
The whitetail deer thrived in America prior to our, ancestors arrival. They arrived and started consuming the deer. They salted or preserved their food by drying, etc. They were at a disadvantage in those days, no freezers to fill. They continued to live of the deer for quite awhile. Muzzle loaders were used during the civil war and the mini ball was invented. It was devastating to both armies and the deer as the armies foraged for food. Unregulated market hunting became popular as time passed. Game laws didn't exist and around 1900, someone said this is just plain stupid we're wiping out our deer herd. State governments stepped in and stopped the carnage. But, it was too late. Restocking efforts were undertaken and the herd thrived. Somewhere along the line so called deer biologists, deer managers, Quality Deer Management Associatons, etc. were created. These guys were taught you can't kill to many does, they are so so wary and elusive. Let's give every redneck hunter in Alabama a two deer a day antlerless season. After all the season only lasts 3 and a half months. Let's do this for the next ten years and see what happens.
Trox you have in rebuttals?

I thought your question was a decent topic but trox sniffed you out and boy did you ever prove his point with ^^^^^ stuff. You are educated but def a little weird.

To your original question, I'd agree with everyone else and say the deer kill thread is not in anyway accurate to the total numbers killed by folks on this site. Lots of people don't want to advertise that they are stackin them up like cordwood because there could be some cause and effect by posting a kill or multiple kills online. There is very little chance of any repercussions to someone posting a yote kill.

I believe yotes are no doubt a problem and with no natural predators around these parts will become a bigger problem. Hunting them with a rifle alone will never allow you to keep the numbers down. Trapping them is the only "ethical" method to somewhat control their numbers.

If your decoy doesnt have holes in it, your not letting him get close enough... J.H.

"Life lessons are almost never found where you think they should be, sometimes they're in the middle of a small, muddy creek in the woods with steep banks"... DeadorAlive
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592453
01/03/16 06:53 AM
01/03/16 06:53 AM
Oxford, AL. USA
Big Game Hunter Offline
Doesn’t Know His Code
Big Game Hunter  Offline
Doesn’t Know His Code
Oxford, AL. USA
I see way more Cougars than deer or coyotes.

Most of the Cougars I see are actually the common black panther.

Look a squirrel.

IKNOWMYPHUCKINGCODEDAMMITYOUDICKHEAD!!!
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592468
01/03/16 07:18 AM
01/03/16 07:18 AM
Lee county Bama
RonBuck Offline
8 point
RonBuck  Offline
8 point
Lee county Bama
You know what I'm surprised i post something about a bounty on a republican site, and I don't ridiculed down to being a Obama loving queer. I'm real suprised at the minimal amount of responses. I think we need to see some ideas as to deal with them .. I read where in two weeks a hunters association in Pennsylvania is holding a Yote killing contest for three days .. 50 dollars for every Yote .. 2000 to the winner .. 500 for the fattest Yote overall . 100 dollars to the fattest Yote each day .25 dollar entry fee . Now that sounds like a damn good idea .. But I think we should have em every weekend from feb 1 thru March 15

Last edited by RonBuck; 01/03/16 07:19 AM.
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: trox28] #1592481
01/03/16 07:42 AM
01/03/16 07:42 AM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield

Damn you're weird

Nailed it. I'll go years without seeing a coyote that includes driving not just in the woods.I've seen a grand total of three coyotes in the woods in 20 years of hunting and I killed all 3 of those. I'd say automobiles kill more deer in a month than coyotes kill in a year

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592483
01/03/16 07:48 AM
01/03/16 07:48 AM
Lee county Bama
RonBuck Offline
8 point
RonBuck  Offline
8 point
Lee county Bama
Just cause you ain't seeing them don't mean there not there . I've lived here two years and only seen two , and I can guarantee you they are everywhere . Vary rarely I walk down the powerline or a logging road and not find fresh scat within a few hundred yards . I can't wait till better studies are done .

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592488
01/03/16 07:50 AM
01/03/16 07:50 AM
Lee county Bama
RonBuck Offline
8 point
RonBuck  Offline
8 point
Lee county Bama
Comparing a coyote and deers brains is like comparing my English to Clem's . There is just no comparison his sucks .

Last edited by RonBuck; 01/03/16 07:53 AM.
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: RonBuck] #1592504
01/03/16 08:11 AM
01/03/16 08:11 AM
South of 20/North of 10
North40R Offline
14 point
Happy Birthday North40R  Offline
14 point
South of 20/North of 10

Originally Posted By: RonBuck
You know what I'm surprised i post something about a bounty on a republican site, and I don't ridiculed down to being a Obama loving queer. I'm real suprised at the minimal amount of responses. I think we need to see some ideas as to deal with them .. I read where in two weeks a hunters association in Pennsylvania is holding a Yote killing contest for three days .. 50 dollars for every Yote .. 2000 to the winner .. 500 for the fattest Yote overall . 100 dollars to the fattest Yote each day .25 dollar entry fee . Now that sounds like a damn good idea .. But I think we should have em every weekend from feb 1 thru March 15

Ron you're still just scratching the surface!

You want an idea that'll put coyote populations back to next to nothing? Get the state to allow live market trapping and that'll do it! You'll have coyote trappers lined up to trap your place and they won't charge you a single dime to do it.

Who cares if coyotes get put in a pen and run with hounds. As long as the pens are approved and legal why shouldn't we be able to sale them live coyotes.

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience. Emerson
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592576
01/03/16 09:07 AM
01/03/16 09:07 AM
Chilton County
M
MarksOutdoors Offline
Booner
MarksOutdoors  Offline
Booner
M
Chilton County
Judging just by roadkills, deer outnumber coyotes about 3 to 1.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: RonBuck] #1592612
01/03/16 09:37 AM
01/03/16 09:37 AM
Georgia
C
codie Offline OP
3 point
codie  Offline OP
3 point
C
Georgia

Ron, I tried to help you out. Lot of good ribbing on this site, it seems. I'm new so, I assume it takes awhile to fit in and get accepted. I don't think there's much chance of our fellow Aldeer brethren going for your bounty idea. l assume most here are like me and hate big government. I don't like paying taxes myself. A fee, is just a hidden tax. So people voluntarily paying more for a license to provide a bounty on yotes...probably ain't happening.
I have been assured there are way more deer than yotes. As you can see no one offered any population estimates. The state used to estimate between 1.5 to 1.8 million. With that number and the slight year to year expected decrease, I guess I am wrong. I guess it's true, just because I ain't seeing em... don't mean they ain't there.

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592648
01/03/16 10:17 AM
01/03/16 10:17 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
I read where in two weeks a hunters association in Pennsylvania

Ron, couple of things:

1) This is a hunter's association doing this, not the state. So they can do it easier than a state's DNR can. You and Cobbie could set up your own contest, or form a He-Man Yote Haters Club and put up the money and have it yourselves. Maybe lobby the Alabama Wildlife Federation to help you.

2) Pennsylvania tried 3-4 years ago through the legislature to set up a bounty and it didn't go through. Whether that was due to finances, pressure from antis, advice from the state DNR that it wouldn't be good or whatever, it didn't go through.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592825
01/03/16 12:13 PM
01/03/16 12:13 PM
Lee county Bama
RonBuck Offline
8 point
RonBuck  Offline
8 point
Lee county Bama
Yeah , I don't care if we put a bounty on em , poison em , hang em with treble hooks , have a redneck Yote huntin poker lottery, sucks for the average hunter to compete with the doe killer and the coyote . I know all places are not as bad , I look at the quality of hunting some of you have and it's 20 times better than what we have around here . we have a few deer but it's nothing like it should be .. Another thing is for someone who has hunted every year, the change is gradual you slowly notice the quality declining over time, and it may not dawn on you until its just not that enjoyable ., kinda like your ole lady slowly getting bigger and bigger over the years . I hunted 25 years ago as a kid no yotes around, deer abundant .. Skipped about 10 years of hunting,then hunted a few seasons in my early 20s, does being killed , yotes becoming common, 15 years later ,deer hunting not near as good , 2 does a day , yotes everywhere . I see the changes and we are not headed in the right direction, and I'm just looking into the future and trying to bring awareness to something that I think needs to be looked at. If 2000 people read this than maybe we are doing something .

Last edited by RonBuck; 01/03/16 12:17 PM.
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: RonBuck] #1592881
01/03/16 01:13 PM
01/03/16 01:13 PM
Georgia
C
codie Offline OP
3 point
codie  Offline OP
3 point
C
Georgia
Yeah , I don't care if we put a bounty on em , poison em , hang em with treble hooks , have a redneck Yote huntin poker lottery, sucks for the average hunter to compete with the doe killer and the coyote . I know all places are not as bad , I look at the quality of hunting some of you have and it's 20 times better than what we have around here . we have a few deer but it's nothing like it should be .. Another thing is for someone who has hunted every year, the change is gradual you slowly notice the quality declining over time, and it may not dawn on you until its just not that enjoyable ., kinda like your ole lady slowly getting bigger and bigger over the years . I hunted 25 years ago as a kid no yotes around, deer abundant .. Skipped about 10 years of hunting,then hunted a few seasons in my early 20s, does being killed , yotes becoming common, 15 years later ,deer hunting not near as good , 2 does a day , yotes everywhere . I see the changes and we are not headed in the right direction, and I'm just looking into the future and trying to bring awareness to something that I think needs to be looked at. If 2000 people read this than maybe we are doing something .

I thought this place was created to discuss deer hunting. I'm on old fellow and got labeled as weird, by a fellow hunter name Trox. I've hunted all my life and don't know squat about him. I responded to the young fellow who was having a hard time harvesting his first deer and told him to try to get the wind his favor, but if he couldn't just hunt because the rut was probably in on his cousins twenty acres. You told the kid to give up to two weeks of hunting up and Trox gave him the same advice as you and threw something like don't listen to the new guy, he gave you lousy advice. I've been bowhunting 43 years and deer hunting 50. He most likely ain't been alive that long. Then I post this thread and he's the first responder, saing I'm weird. I attempt a discussion with him. I start off by discussing the history of the whitetail deer. Setting up the over harvest of does and was planning on following up with the creation of the predator pit theory. You have seen the responses. I get the feeling this Trox guy has a lot of friends here. This site may just be for good ole boys. Outsiders unwelcome.

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592884
01/03/16 01:19 PM
01/03/16 01:19 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Codie, trox is a good guy. There's a bunch if good guys on this site. Stick around and you'll make some good friends.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: Beadlescomb] #1592897
01/03/16 01:29 PM
01/03/16 01:29 PM
central ala,
C
centralala Online crying
14 point
centralala  Online Crying
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
I'd say automobiles kill more deer in a month than coyotes kill in a year

Some areas, yes. Some, no. I'm live in one area that has been hammered by coyotes. I have killed 3 since August and 3 more on another close by property. I have some other properties, not so much coyote vs. deer problem. I live in an area where there is a farmer who doesn't allow coyotes to be shot on his property. He claims they kill more deer than hunters ever will, 365 days, and they don't eat his crops. He does allow deer hunting but claims they can't touch what the coyotes do. I believe him.

Beadlescomb, I know where you are from. I could take you to a part of that county that you would not believe the deer numbers compared to when you were growing up. Hardly any deer.

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592944
01/03/16 02:06 PM
01/03/16 02:06 PM
Decatur
chevyman Offline
12 point
chevyman  Offline
12 point
Decatur
I see deer several times a week,just going about my business.Rarely see coyote,but see them occasionally..I can go look at deer on any given evening if I want to.Cant say the same for the Coyote.

Wisdom doesn't always come with age.
Sometimes age shows up all by itself.
Roll Tide
Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592949
01/03/16 02:09 PM
01/03/16 02:09 PM
Deep South
G
GSDowner Offline
4 point
GSDowner  Offline
4 point
G
Deep South
My coyotes move around, might hear them every night for a few weeks, then it might be months before I hear them again. I have two different tracts of land and this is true on both of them.

Re: Which Animal is More Common in The State of Alabama as We Enter The New Year? [Re: codie] #1592978
01/03/16 02:24 PM
01/03/16 02:24 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW
Why is it so hard for folks to understand the predator-prey relationship?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.