</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Sako Finnlite with scope
by Sully. 05/02/24 09:25 PM
FS: CZ 600 Alpha
by Ron A.. 05/02/24 07:57 PM
Baseball Gear Marucci Cat9 31/28 baseball bat
by toyota05. 05/02/24 05:57 PM
Dirt bikes
by Ridge Life. 05/02/24 03:32 PM
2019 Yamaha Grizzly 90
by Paddlejon. 05/02/24 01:03 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Velvet
by swamp_fever2002. 05/02/24 06:48 PM
Forever wild gun regs.
by Frankie. 05/01/24 03:42 PM
Kansas draw
by booner. 05/01/24 02:56 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by demp17. 04/30/24 05:51 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (PikeRoadHunter, Driveby, Big Al, Chancetribe, Atoler, jake5050, farmerjay, MR3391, 4Tigers, Woody1, Gobble4me757, outdoorguy88, Turkey, Chaser357, MC21, UncleHuck, AKB, NoHuntin, BCLC, auburn17, metalmuncher, Brian_C, Ron A., jake44, akbejeepin, BradB, RayDog, Longtine, Thread Killer, crenshawco, CCC, Cuz-Pat, cartervj, ronfromramer, Highlander, WDE, MTeague, Sully, Tupi, hyco, imslower, Ruger7mag, cch, nomercy, Johnal3, Dixiepatriot, blade, TheBG, mzzy, Forrestgump1, 4Him146, CatHeadBiscuit, twaldrop4, Semo, Narrow Gap, Showout, bhammedic84, 4ssss, Jdkprp70, Gut Pile 32, BobK, Geeb, GUT_SHOT, Whild_Bill, trlrdrdave, Spotchaser8, Buck2020, Moose24, DoeMaster, Pipedream, Bronco 74, sw1002, donia, Mbrock, Austin1, jb20, Skillet, CNC, Skinner, BD, jtillery, square, Turkey Petter, jhardy, chevydude2015, hallb, CarbonClimber1, Livintohunt19, MCW, Jtide, RockFarmer, dtmwtp, AU coonhunter, AUjerbear, Uokman2014, curt99rsv, 9 invisible), 698 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: gobbler] #1338790
04/27/15 03:06 PM
04/27/15 03:06 PM
A
Atoler Online content
14 point
Atoler  Online Content
14 point
A
Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: Atoler

You think that burning a thousand acres of prime select cut nesting habitat in mid April is a good idea?? Really???? I love burning. I don't like for it to be done in the middle of nesting time

In a word, Yes! Which is why I don't think succumbing to public pressure is a good idea from the educated and experienced Biologists at the State agency that makes hunting regulations. They have dedicated both their education dollars and their career choices and lives to natural resource and wildlife management - something VERY FEW hunters or other public participants have done! Most also read every research paper on their subject of interest every chance they get, also something most public resource users rarely do.

We burned around 700 acres of this place last Thu and Fri. Private hunting land that is on a 3-4 year burn rotation and has had MOST burns in the last 10 years being April and May burns. Their turkey population has skyrocketed based on these recommendations. I would rather turkey hunt this place than pretty much every other place in Alabama that I know of.

How many turkey nests did we burn up? I don't know but quite a few I am sure!

[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/gobbler06/th_IMG_0755_zpsxcvcdqxu.mp4[/img]

So answer me this, how in all of your research papers does it support destroying nests? In an ideal world, would you not burn during February or later? I realize that the time of year and weather is key, but you would have a very hard time convincing me that destroying a whole bunch of nests to create better habitat is the best option.

I'm assuming you are advocating habitat improvement over nesting success. I'm curious how you come to this conclusion? How do you know it is not hurting the population but creating such good habitat that it draws from the surrounding properties?

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Solo] #1338808
04/27/15 03:15 PM
04/27/15 03:15 PM
Parts Unknown
Cletus Offline
10 point
Cletus  Offline
10 point
Parts Unknown
I would assume because most hens would be bred again and nest again.........and surviving poults having a better habitat for nutritional needs their first several months.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: ] #1338811
04/27/15 03:17 PM
04/27/15 03:17 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
Go read Chamberlains Effects of Variable Spring Harvest Regimes on Annual Survival and Recovery Rates of Male Wild Turkeys in Southeast Louisiana, 2012.

link me a copy!

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Cletus] #1338816
04/27/15 03:18 PM
04/27/15 03:18 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: Cletus
I would assume because most hens would be bred again and nest again.........and surviving poults having a better habitat for nutritional needs their first several months.

An educated man wink thumbup

Sacrificing a little in the short-term for the benefit of the long-term.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Cletus] #1338820
04/27/15 03:21 PM
04/27/15 03:21 PM
A
Atoler Online content
14 point
Atoler  Online Content
14 point
A

so.... you are saying that hens being bred again would have the same success as they would have before the initial destruction? Because the habitat can be created before most of the nesting takes place.....

Gobbler, I'm not saying you are wrong, obviously you are much more studied on the scientific end of things than I am. But...I am a very logical person, so I'm inviting you to use a logical argument or present facts that disprove me.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: gobbler] #1338821
04/27/15 03:22 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County

An educated man wink thumbup

Sacrificing a little in the short-term for the benefit of the long-term.

I don't think they even have to be bred again to make another nest. I would have some concern tho that a hen that was incubating eggs this time of year might be hesitant to leave her nest to the point that she might be in danger from the smoke and fire herself.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Southwood7] #1338822
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Matt, thanks for all the info and for taking time to post on aldeer. I do appreciate it, and don't forget that I asked you to be my Commissioner when I get elected governor. smile

I guess this coulda been directed at somebody else, but I seem to be the most likely suspect:

>>>Another observation of mine is the ones who seem to have the biggest problem with change are the ones happily killing their limit each season, not experiencing a decline, and are determined to do it their way regardless of what the research indicates, and with no regard for the resource. <<<

I will plead guilty to trying to kill my limit, and we haven't had a decline on my properties. But I am certainly not against change when research indicates we need it. I had heard of some of the studies you mentioned, but as gobbler said, it looks like a change in the starting date of the season would address those issues, not a change in the limit. I can remember when the season was March 20-April 25 every year, and they still had a 5 bird limit. As they gradually increased the season, it didn't seem to impact the population.

IF research could somehow prove that a reduction in the limit was truly needed to protect the population, then I would certainly be for it. But if we are going to even have a discussion on reducing the limit for a research based reason, it appears to me that the first thing we all need to know is how many limits are killed. The fact that the state won't release that figure is concerning to me, and I think you can see why. They sure didn't mind publicizing the number of hunters that were killing more than 3 bucks when we had that debate. I don't remember the numbers used, but they were quoted often on this site.

But the part about having "no regard for the resource" bothers me indeed. I have been a strong advocate for the wild turkey all of my adult life. I have vigorously opposed the killing of hens, and was willing to support the protection on jakes before gobbler convinced me it was a bad idea. I've opposed doing away with daily limits because I think it leads to massacres of bachelor flocks in the early season. All of this was just talk, and probably worthless as far as protecting any turkeys.

But I can claim to have done a lot of habitat improvement to actually produce more turkeys. That does benefit me, but it also benefits all my neighbors. I doubt there are many amateur turkey managers who spend as large a % of their time and money to benefit turkeys. And I've always tried to share what I've learned with others so they can do the same. I don't think the "no regard for the resource" is deserved.

I'm not against change when it's needed. I just think it oughta be change that actually accomplishes something. I hope the committee will make sure that any changes they propose are truly needed and proven to work.

A good evening to all! I am in Cheyenne, OK; hoping to go out tomorrow and rape and pillage their resources. smile

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Solo] #1338826
04/27/15 03:25 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

Last edited by gobbler; 04/27/15 03:28 PM.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Solo] #1338827
Parts Unknown
Cletus Offline
10 point
Cletus  Offline
10 point
Parts Unknown
Here's something that hasn't been touched on very much in this thread.........weather. Alabama has had 2-3 rough winters and to add insult to injury in the turkey world.........at least the last two years the early summer months have been cooler and very rainy. Not a great scenario for poult survival. What region of the the state is coldest on any given winter/spring day? Which region seems to have folks experiencing lower numbers?

The predator issue can't be overlooked in my book. Less folks trapping for a couple of decades and a coyote population rising..........more predation.

And one more thing.......for any population:

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1338839
04/27/15 03:36 PM
04/27/15 03:36 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Matt, thanks for all the info and for taking time to post on aldeer. I do appreciate it, and don't forget that I asked you to be my Commissioner when I get elected governor. smile

I guess this coulda been directed at somebody else, but I seem to be the most likely suspect:

>>>Another observation of mine is the ones who seem to have the biggest problem with change are the ones happily killing their limit each season, not experiencing a decline, and are determined to do it their way regardless of what the research indicates, and with no regard for the resource. <<<

I will plead guilty to trying to kill my limit, and we haven't had a decline on my properties. But I am certainly not against change when research indicates we need it. I had heard of some of the studies you mentioned, but as gobbler said, it looks like a change in the starting date of the season would address those issues, not a change in the limit. I can remember when the season was March 20-April 25 every year, and they still had a 5 bird limit. As they gradually increased the season, it didn't seem to impact the population.

IF research could somehow prove that a reduction in the limit was truly needed to protect the population, then I would certainly be for it. But if we are going to even have a discussion on reducing the limit for a research based reason, it appears to me that the first thing we all need to know is how many limits are killed. The fact that the state won't release that figure is concerning to me, and I think you can see why. They sure didn't mind publicizing the number of hunters that were killing more than 3 bucks when we had that debate. I don't remember the numbers used, but they were quoted often on this site.

But the part about having "no regard for the resource" bothers me indeed. I have been a strong advocate for the wild turkey all of my adult life. I have vigorously opposed the killing of hens, and was willing to support the protection on jakes before gobbler convinced me it was a bad idea. I've opposed doing away with daily limits because I think it leads to massacres of bachelor flocks in the early season. All of this was just talk, and probably worthless as far as protecting any turkeys.

But I can claim to have done a lot of habitat improvement to actually produce more turkeys. That does benefit me, but it also benefits all my neighbors. I doubt there are many amateur turkey managers who spend as large a % of their time and money to benefit turkeys. And I've always tried to share what I've learned with others so they can do the same. I don't think the "no regard for the resource" is deserved.

I'm not against change when it's needed. I just think it oughta be change that actually accomplishes something. I hope the committee will make sure that any changes they propose are truly needed and proven to work.

A good evening to all! I am in Cheyenne, OK; hoping to go out tomorrow and rape and pillage their resources. smile

Remember, don't kill but one per day because it's bad for the turkeys. wink

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Atoler] #1338843
04/27/15 03:39 PM
04/27/15 03:39 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

so.... you are saying that hens being bred again would have the same success as they would have before the initial destruction? Because the habitat can be created before most of the nesting takes place.....

Gobbler, I'm not saying you are wrong, obviously you are much more studied on the scientific end of things than I am. But...I am a very logical person, so I'm inviting you to use a logical argument or present facts that disprove me.

I would say this. Would it be better, in most cases, to get your burning done before April? ... yes, in most cases. Growing season burns have different effects on the habitat and woody vegetation as well as insect populations. Sometimes burning in the growing season is what the doctor ordered and sacrificing a few turkey nests does little damage in the grand scheme of things. I would guess that one or 2 raccoons and a coopers hawk on this property destroyed more turkey nests and poults on the place than our 700 acre burn. However 2 raccoons and a coopers hawk didn't make any better habitat, less dense vegetation, more growing, lush vegetation or more insects to help turkey poults or keep the nesting habitat in good order for next year!

One of our problems is we can't burn all our properties in the winter either and we have learned the benefits of growing season burns. Read this:
http://www.talltimbers.org/images/pubs/FireBreedingBirdsBooklet-small.pdf

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Solo] #1338854
04/27/15 03:46 PM
04/27/15 03:46 PM
Parts Unknown
Cletus Offline
10 point
Cletus  Offline
10 point
Parts Unknown
Gobbler & Matt,

Since you both are reading this and both have what I would consider a wealth of knowledge on turkey biology, are yall familar with the Holmes County, FL population crash several years ago? What was the verdict there? Over hunting, disease, flooding, a combination of several factors?

Everytime I hear of the the south central Tennessee turkey population decrease I think of Holmes County.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: gobbler] #1338860
04/27/15 03:52 PM
04/27/15 03:52 PM
A
Atoler Online content
14 point
Atoler  Online Content
14 point
A

I would say this. Would it be better, in most cases, to get your burning done before April? ... yes, in most cases. Growing season burns have different effects on the habitat and woody vegetation as well as insect populations. Sometimes burning in the growing season is what the doctor ordered and sacrificing a few turkey nests does little damage in the grand scheme of things. I would guess that one or 2 raccoons and a coopers hawk on this property destroyed more turkey nests and poults on the place than our 700 acre burn. However 2 raccoons and a coopers hawk didn't make any better habitat, less dense vegetation, more growing, lush vegetation or more insects to help turkey poults or keep the nesting habitat in good order for next year!

One of our problems is we can't burn all our properties in the winter either and we have learned the benefits of growing season burns. Read this:
http://www.talltimbers.org/images/pubs/FireBreedingBirdsBooklet-small.pdf

I only had time to skim the article, I'll try to read it in full later. I understand the problem from your standpoint. You only have so many good burning days, and a whole lot of places to burn. I still don't particularly agree that it was beneficial, specifically in the example I was giving.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Solo] #1338982
04/27/15 05:28 PM
04/27/15 05:28 PM
Central Alabama
Y
Yelp softly Offline
10 point
Yelp softly  Offline
10 point
Y
Central Alabama
The ability of hens to re-nest has been proven time after time. I would rather do a habitat improvement regardless of the time of year it gets done. Destroying a few nests will be negated by the amount of birds you'll draw from surrounding areas. Sometimes a warm season fire is needed to knockout the undesired hardwoods in your timber stand. We have a 40 acre stand of thinned pines that used to hold birds but the sweetgums are so thick now that the birds have moved elsewhere. I wish they'd light it up now. The February burn they did 2 years ago only made them come back thicker.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona
Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Yelp softly] #1338986
04/27/15 05:35 PM
04/27/15 05:35 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
The ability of hens to re-nest has been proven time after time. I would rather do a habitat improvement regardless of the time of year it gets done. Destroying a few nests will be negated by the amount of birds you'll draw from surrounding areas. Sometimes a warm season fire is needed to knockout the undesired hardwoods in your timber stand. We have a 40 acre stand of thinned pines that used to hold birds but the sweetgums are so thick now that the birds have moved elsewhere. I wish they'd light it up now. The February burn they did 2 years ago only made them come back thicker.

An aerial application of Arsenal would do the trick, as well.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Yelp softly] #1338989
04/27/15 05:41 PM
04/27/15 05:41 PM
A
Atoler Online content
14 point
Atoler  Online Content
14 point
A

As I said, in my example, it was a beautiful piece of habitat prior to the most recent burning. Select cut mixed woods with 1' tall green vegetation through it. If the habitat really needed it, I could see making it happen regardless, but as it stood, it struck me as a big screwup

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: N2TRKYS] #1339002
04/27/15 06:19 PM
04/27/15 06:19 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

Not anywhere close. It would kill the gum (and every big oak on the property), but would do nothing for the habitat, thin the vegetation, stimulate forb, grass, and legume production, scarify seeds lying dormant in the soil, expose mineral soil, create good brood habitat, encourage insect production, make the vegetation open enough for poults to walk, remove dead thatch, etc........ Plus it would cost as much as 5 of our burns, maybe 15-20 years worth.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: Atoler] #1339003
04/27/15 06:20 PM
04/27/15 06:20 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

As I said, in my example, it was a beautiful piece of habitat prior to the most recent burning. Select cut mixed woods with 1' tall green vegetation through it. If the habitat really needed it, I could see making it happen regardless, but as it stood, it struck me as a big screwup

I bet if I saw it I would think it is a beautiful piece of habitat right now wink

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: gobbler] #1339011
04/27/15 06:53 PM
04/27/15 06:53 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

Not anywhere close. It would kill the gum (and every big oak on the property), but would do nothing for the habitat, thin the vegetation, stimulate forb, grass, and legume production, scarify seeds lying dormant in the soil, expose mineral soil, create good brood habitat, encourage insect production, make the vegetation open enough for poults to walk, remove dead thatch, etc........ Plus it would cost as much as 5 of our burns, maybe 15-20 years worth.

I know it cost more. It would, however, take care of the sweetgums in the thinned pine plantation. I haven't seen many big oaks in thinned pine plantations, anyway.

Re: AL DCNR Survey [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1339047
04/28/15 01:19 AM
04/28/15 01:19 AM
Behind you
Avengedsevenfold Offline
10 point
Avengedsevenfold  Offline
10 point
Behind you
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I am in Cheyenne, OK; hoping to go out tomorrow and rape and pillage their resources. smile

I just had the Vikings intro music play in my head and pictured Preacher with a Norse battle-ax swinging it into hoards of OK longbeards....

Carrying a gun isn't comfortable; but at times it is comforting

"Cause the cause for the pause you think you see is really concentration on the steel” NonPoint
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.