</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
350 Legend & 7mm-08 Ammo
by Cdub. 05/13/24 05:48 PM
Few guns for sale
by thayerp81. 05/13/24 04:50 PM
2016 Sea Ark RXT 872
by klay. 05/13/24 03:52 PM
FS 2007 Nissan Frontier CC 4X4 LB--maybe
by Gary Harris. 05/13/24 02:40 PM
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 300WSM
by burbank. 05/13/24 01:53 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Meat hunt outfitter?
by chevydude2015. 05/13/24 12:07 PM
Tennessee
by Tree Dweller. 05/13/24 08:38 AM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/12/24 07:06 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Bore. 05/12/24 04:50 PM
Ohio record typical
by Big Bore. 05/12/24 04:47 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Who's Online Now
144 registered members (Tall Dog, bowkl, coldtrail, Whitetaillane, Scdoghunter667, Turkey_neck, mw2015, Wapiti55, centralala, walt4dun, AU338MAG, bamabeagler, bambam32, WGDfarm23, Hunting-231, kpswihart, IMISSALDEER, XVIII, CKyleC, ronfromramer, beetrapper, Whild_Bill, twaldrop4, outdoorguy88, WhoMe, Bustinbeards, Parkerwagner, jwalker77, mcninja, Bmyers142, low wall, janiemae, Jwoods32, CNC, fur_n_feathers, Gary Harris, lectrode, scrubbuck, swampoak, StateLine, AU coonhunter, OlTimer, Skullworks, Rebelhunter_21, SuperSpike, Bamajoz, NWFJ, CatfishJunkie, sj22, GHTiger10, AUdeer88, curt99rsv, JLavender, Moose24, FreeStateHunter, JCL, DoeNut, jhardy, Turkeyneck78, Cactus_buck, mossyback, WoodleyRoadDeer, JohnG, DuckDown11, Tigger85, Sgiles, akbejeepin, shawns, brett.smith, Wadenthebushes, gwstang, KSRabbit, jwyatt, BCLC, bug54, Narrow Gap, capehorn24, 257 mag, KnightRyder, blade, SnipeHunter, dirtwrk, eclipse829, fish251, Cahabariverrat, lefthorn, JAM, BobK, Cutem, AJones, 2walnuts, hamma, Floorman1, MikeP, Hester, Ryano, straycat, RobN25, hallb, General, mdavis, sloughfoot, PastorJack, Safetyman, crenshawco, burbank, mjs14, Andalusia, RidgeRanger, GMR, JohnnyLoco, 1hunter, cullbuck, Chipnalong, geeb1, auburn17, rutwad, HoofNSpur, dwaugh, auman, thayerp81, Nowlide, Deerslayer33, k bush, doghouse, Downwind, Chiller, CeeHawk37, RareBreed, brushwhacker, 14 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Research #1201548
12/27/14 12:08 PM
12/27/14 12:08 PM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline OP
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline OP
Booner
E
Prattville AL
I know how to kill feral hogs but I will never claim to know much about feral hogs. My cup is empty but I am always trying to learn more.

So, I simply did a google search to read up on their impact on agribusiness and the forest businesses, and ecosystems. Seems there is a ton of studies from multiple universities and organizations.

I found lots by Ms State, Texas AM, USDA, and many other sources.

I am not trying to start anything here. Just trying to give an accurate account of the damage/threats posed by feral hogs.

Will post a few links when I figure out how to do it.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1201580
12/27/14 12:45 PM
12/27/14 12:45 PM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline OP
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline OP
Booner
E
Prattville AL

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12/27/14 12:46 PM.

Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1201860
12/27/14 04:12 PM
12/27/14 04:12 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Not meaning to argue or anything of that nature. And, I do not mean to dismiss or downplay the economic impact of feral hogs to the few that are truly affected or come across as promoting hogs in any way.......BUT, it would seem that if the threats that are always discussed were 'real' and imminent; that at least SOME of them would have caused the catastrophic effects that are always depicted. I mean, it has been over 500 years and we are still waiting!

History

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1202039
12/27/14 06:24 PM
12/27/14 06:24 PM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline OP
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline OP
Booner
E
Prattville AL
Danny,

I believe they have. They do not belong here. With every snake, frog, lizard, bird, insect, plant, native animal of any kind, they forever change the ecosystems. Just because it is happening slowly in some people's minds doesn't mean it is not happening.

Now one could argue that it is natural selection or survival of the fittest. But, I don't believe anyone could honestly argue that they are not having an impact on the wildlife.

Barry Estes

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1202133
12/27/14 11:56 PM
12/27/14 11:56 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
In my humble opinion, while I am quite certain there has been change and that is an impact, it has been minimal and insignificant to the vast majority of the general human population.

The most significant change has occurred in the last 25-30 years. And that change is the attitude towards hogs. I am basing that on the fact that, while they have existed here since white man 1st arrived, they have only been viewed negatively AFTER the implementation of Stock Laws and man's land-use changed. They are tremendous nuisance to the modern era of Sportsmen and the current land use of established Hunting and Recreational Properties.

But, that is simply my opinion based on my perception.
That does not mean that I am advocating their existence or protection.
I am simply offering a different viewpoint than the radical 'Sky is Falling' that is often depicted.

smile

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1202134
12/28/14 12:44 AM
12/28/14 12:44 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
I also want to say this......

I really enjoy hunting hogs!
And, I kill a BUNCH of them every year. They are one of the few Game Animals that can stand an extremely high harvest and sustain a viable population. Their numbers rebound at an amazing rate! It takes a heavy harvest to control or manage their population!!! Therefore, I would never advocate their Protection! They can get out of hand and over-populate in an extremely short amount of time.

If you have hogs......hunt them, trap them, shoot them.....do something! Because in no time at all, you will have a BUNCH of hogs and so will your neighbors!

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1202449
12/28/14 07:59 AM
12/28/14 07:59 AM
Hazel Green
O
Oscarflytyer Offline
8 point
Oscarflytyer  Offline
8 point
O
Hazel Green
Look to Europe, and specifically Germany. Unfortunately, you have to understand some German. But they have done a LOT of wild hog study. They have to study, learn about and pass a test just to hunt. I hunted in Germany, and was certified to teach the class to US/Canadian service personnel who wanted to hunt. We had to pass the test also.

Only part of the instructor course that really stuck with me was the hog portion. Couple things I learned. Hogs will approach a danger/open area much like infantrymen. When they come up to an open field they will stop the herd (sows and piglets and yearlings). They will either send one across to check it out, or two will circle in opposite directions, meet on the other side and then one will go back across to signal to the others that it is safe to cross. I experienced this when I ws caught on the ground by a herd one evening. They never entered the field - I was watching. I got down and bumped one of the hogs that had circled. When it went signaled danger the entire herd rushed the field from the opposite side I was on. Fortunately I got back to the shooting house, but scared the snot out of me. And they will try to take a shooting house down!

Second thing I learned, but that I already knew. And many will apparently argue this, but... Hogs are cannibalistic. They will eat their young, and wounded. I knew this from when my grandfather raised hogs. He would always be in the hog house at birthing time, counting piglets. As soon as a sow had birthed one less than she had tits to milk them, he would immediately snatch any further born piglets from the sow and put them on the tit of another sow that still had room. He explained that they sow would eat excess piglets down to the one less tits she had to milk them.

The other thing I experienced in Germany was keeping a herd in an area where you wanted them. They fed them. Would get day old bread about once or twice a week, on a schedule. Would go to the woods and the hogs knew the schedule and would show up for the bread. Same as cows and deer coming to corn or hay. If they have food, and aren't pressured too hard, but hunting is ok, they won't leave the area.

On the other hand I saw some severe destruction they caused. Rooting in the woods nobody cared. But I once saw a freshly sodded soccer field that they rooted one night. It looked like a 16 bottom plow went thru the soccer field. IIRC, it was something like $300,000 DM damage, or probably about $180K. All overnight in the dark. Was really something to see.

Funniest thing I ever heard (unfortunately didnt see, but it was a bit of theme at harvest time) - was during sugar beet harvest time. Herd got into the pile of fermented discarded sugar beets that had gone to alcohol. They got stone drunk and passed out. My buddy once got lost going in the woods and was sitting on a pile of discarded apples. Had a hog root right up under him on the apples. Troops routinely had them go through the foxholes and lines at night if/when they opened an MRE. They have good noses!

They will also let you walk right by them if they are bedded and think they are well hidden. I walked by a big bedded boar 4-5 times as I was moving around on a finger ridge. he only busted out when I got up wind of his bed.

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1203289
12/29/14 01:20 AM
12/29/14 01:20 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
The only problem with looking to Europe is that they are still viewed as a Sporting Animal there. And, not only are they accepted, they are even raised in large enclosures just to provide Sport for hunters.

The current 'plan' that is ongoing here is to dissuade all Sport Hunting and manipulate people's mindset to de-value the attraction to hunt them and make them want to exterminate them. Maybe it will work??? Not sure......

And, before I get bashed for saying that, educate yourself on how Wildlife Management is 'really' done. Wildlife takes care of itself. PEOPLE are what have to be managed!

smile

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1204240
12/29/14 04:28 PM
12/29/14 04:28 PM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

Your right hogwild, PEOPLE are the reason hogs were basically a non issue for 500 years, and then started popping up in every county in the state. Hogs do not spread outward into new areas as fast as some people think. They basically inhabited the same areas for 500 years with little expansion, until the sport hunter decided to move them around. You KNOW that's the truth. And once that happens, the impacts they have on the agribusiness, forestry, and wildlife management industries is irreversible. Not to mention the devastation on the native reptile/amphibian communities that are already in decline.

Re: Research [Re: ] #1204434
12/29/14 06:10 PM
12/29/14 06:10 PM
se alabama
S
slipn Offline
4 point
slipn  Offline
4 point
S
se alabama
Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
Your right hogwild, PEOPLE are the reason hogs were basically a non issue for 500 years, and then started popping up in every county in the state. Hogs do not spread outward into new areas as fast as some people think. They basically inhabited the same areas for 500 years with little expansion, until the sport hunter decided to move them around. You KNOW that's the truth. And once that happens, the impacts they have on the agribusiness, forestry, and wildlife management industries is irreversible. Not to mention the devastation on the native reptile/amphibian communities that are already in decline.

You are exactly right! They were turned out in the "impact area" of Ft. Rucker about 20 years ago. This area is several thousand acres and off limits to hunters. The hogs have spread all over the base and outlying areas as well. They were also turned loose in the Choctawhatchee River swamp in south Barbour and north Dale counties, they are firmly established and have spread well beyond the swamp. This was done by hog hunters bringing in hogs from Florida. The same thing happened with coyotes, they were brought in to fox pens and many escaped. Not picking sides or laying blame, just stating the FACTS.

Re: Research [Re: slipn] #1204467
12/29/14 06:37 PM
12/29/14 06:37 PM
Hazel Green
O
Oscarflytyer Offline
8 point
Oscarflytyer  Offline
8 point
O
Hazel Green
Hogwild - no offense, but have you BEEN in EU?@? Yes, they are/can be considered sport animals, as long as they can be and are limited to a specific area where the only damage they do is in woodlots - which is typically the case there.

Once they start hitting Olympic grade soccer fields and Ag fields and doing the exact same destructive damage as they do to the same type areas and businesses here, they are immediately public enemy #1! We got a LOT of calls and invites to hunt/push/kill off hogs that were in places they weren't welcome and were doing economic destruction.

Exactly same here. Long as they are in the woods/wilderness areas/swamps rooting acorns, nobody cares and they are sporting animals - Black Warrior for example. Hunt them a few days a year unless you want to shoot them with a 22 - hell no not me! Once they hit Ag/Parks/spots fields and creating economic damage (Florence, for example!), they are rats/vermin/exterminate them.

Deer and Geese that get in neighborhoods and golf courses and state parks - such as Oak Mtn!!! (go look at the archery deer hunting sham there!!! what a racket THAT is!) are the same. Long as they are in the woods, they are ok. When they overpopulate the neighborhoods and golf courses and state parks/tear something nice up that cost someone $$$, they are vermin and should be killed/special eradication programs/sterilization/professional hunter/killers, etc.

And last, a big part of the problem is that people have trapped them and transported them to places they want them for sport and PROFIT! - and THEN they thrive and go places no one wanted them. and it is the hogs' fault?!? NOT! As mentioned above - PEOPLE are the problem, not the hogs!

Re: Research [Re: Oscarflytyer] #1204556
12/30/14 01:40 AM
12/30/14 01:40 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Originally Posted By: Oscarflytyer
Hogwild - no offense, but have you BEEN in EU?@? Yes, they are/can be considered sport animals, as long as they can be and are limited to a specific area where the only damage they do is in woodlots - which is typically the case there.

Once they start hitting Olympic grade soccer fields and Ag fields and doing the exact same destructive damage as they do to the same type areas and businesses here, they are immediately public enemy #1! We got a LOT of calls and invites to hunt/push/kill off hogs that were in places they weren't welcome and were doing economic destruction.

Exactly same here. Long as they are in the woods/wilderness areas/swamps rooting acorns, nobody cares and they are sporting animals - Black Warrior for example. Hunt them a few days a year unless you want to shoot them with a 22 - hell no not me! Once they hit Ag/Parks/spots fields and creating economic damage (Florence, for example!), they are rats/vermin/exterminate them.

Deer and Geese that get in neighborhoods and golf courses and state parks - such as Oak Mtn!!! (go look at the archery deer hunting sham there!!! what a racket THAT is!) are the same. Long as they are in the woods, they are ok. When they overpopulate the neighborhoods and golf courses and state parks/tear something nice up that cost someone $$$, they are vermin and should be killed/special eradication programs/sterilization/professional hunter/killers, etc.

And last, a big part of the problem is that people have trapped them and transported them to places they want them for sport and PROFIT! - and THEN they thrive and go places no one wanted them. and it is the hogs' fault?!? NOT! As mentioned above - PEOPLE are the problem, not the hogs!

EXACTLY where this is headed!!!

Thank You!

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1204557
12/30/14 01:42 AM
12/30/14 01:42 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
And, I TOTALLY agree that the spread of hogs has been a man-made issue! I have never said that it wasn't....so, not sure why that was directed to me?

Now, of course, the most powerful man on ALdeer recently chastised me for saying that in another thread.....
So, BE CAREFUL!!! LMAO smile

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1204560
12/30/14 01:49 AM
12/30/14 01:49 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
And, in turn, no offense to you either, Oscar.

BUT, you do realize that we are not discussing Europe, or Euarasian boars?

We are talking about AL and feral hogs.
The group that came in my food plot yesterday did not get the memo about sending out scouts and circling the area. And, even though I was sitting on the ground less than 75 yds away.....I was never attacked.

Also, am I the only one that thinks that it is odd that no one comes up with the SIMPLE solution of fencing in sensitive and expensive areas when they are built in areas known to have feral hogs??? I mean, really......$300,000 worth of damage to a soccer field.....a $10,000 dollar fence would have saved you $290,000!!! And, crop insurance paying $10's of thousands per year but don't require a fence to protect the investment???? Really? So, I guess we should take our vehicles and leave them parked in the ghetto with the keys in the ignition, doors open and window down....Heck, we have insurance!

Hogs are destructive!! I have never said that they were not!
But, Damn folks......use a little common sense!

Last edited by Hogwild; 12/30/14 01:56 AM.
Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1204684
12/30/14 04:44 AM
12/30/14 04:44 AM
Hazel Green
O
Oscarflytyer Offline
8 point
Oscarflytyer  Offline
8 point
O
Hazel Green
Hog - I think we are vehemently agreeing. It is about $. You can fence in, although I have personally seen where hogs will tear up a fence if they want out - or in. I am still confused how they got on the field in Florence and tore it up. It had to be fenced. The soccer field I saw in Germany was open.

Also agree/understand the Eurasian vs Feral hog. Germany was the true Russian. Russians were transported in the early/mid-1800s to Biltmore in NC, and some from there to CA, south of Monterey. Biltmore got run down and they went feral. There is still a strain of them in the NC mtns, and the ones I hunted in CA are def Russian variety. And you are correct - all this was man made dispersion.

I have seen/heard the debates of russian strain/genetics in AL in the feral population. Some pics I have seen look like some russian in them to me, others are just plain old barn yard hogs gone feral from what I see.

If you have the woods and can charge to hunt them, you are probably happy. If you are a farmer or other that gets crop or other damage, say a nursery, you hate them.

We def agree it is about $ in a lot of cases, and since when did common sense EVER prevail - sadly...

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1215399
01/06/15 12:13 PM
01/06/15 12:13 PM
Cleburne
.308 Offline
14 point
.308  Offline
14 point
Cleburne
Hog hunting sure is complicated.

"When you've stared down the barrel of a shotgun in your own home, 3rd & 20 don't seem too bad"......Ken "Snake" Stabler
Re: Research [Re: .308] #1215659
01/06/15 03:33 PM
01/06/15 03:33 PM
wedowee
daniel white Offline
Booner
daniel white  Offline
Booner
wedowee

Originally Posted By: .308
Hog hunting sure is complicated.

$$$$$, makes it that way Joe, Me and you go catch some bass and have a ball, Now put in a bass tourney, and whole new game.. grin

"You do and it will be the biggest mistake you ever made, you Texas brush popper" John Wayne
Re: Research [Re: daniel white] #1223098
01/12/15 04:49 AM
01/12/15 04:49 AM
south baldwin county
J
JayHook Offline
6 point
JayHook  Offline
6 point
J
south baldwin county
Hernando de Soto....quite possibly first man to spread hogs into Alabama and the Southeast in general. He would be a happy man now...have meat to eat any where he explored!

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1224420
01/12/15 05:29 PM
01/12/15 05:29 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
LOL

Old School Outlaw!!! smile

Re: Research [Re: ElkHunter] #1225179
01/13/15 09:17 AM
01/13/15 09:17 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
I didn't say they weren't moved by man to other parts of the state. I just believe it's not impossible for them to migrate along waterways or food routes and get to other parts of the state. It's a combo of both, with man being the main culprit but not the only one.

The $(@#$# nasty-ass geese on golf courses and in protected neighborhoods are just that - protected - because they're "pretty" and homeowners don't want anything done about them until they start shitting everywhere, rooting up yards/parks, honking-hissing at kids and then it's "Why isn't something done!?"

Hog hunting is, indeed, too damned complicated. Hunting, trapping, dogs, whatever should be used to kill 'em.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.