</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO boxblade
by kntree. 05/07/24 09:48 PM
WTB: 20ga remchoke
by AU7MM08. 05/07/24 05:01 PM
G Force AR style 12ga
by MikeP. 05/07/24 02:29 PM
Winchester sx4 20 ga $900
by CrappieMan. 05/07/24 02:22 PM
WTB 3” Remington 870 20 gauge
by JUGHEAD. 05/07/24 10:55 AM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 05/07/24 10:17 PM
Kansas Bowhunt timing
by ColeT. 05/07/24 02:57 PM
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by marshmud991. 05/06/24 05:08 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Snuffy. 05/06/24 03:28 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by Overland. 05/06/24 02:53 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Tree Dweller, Turkeyneck78, Gut Pile 32, bhammedic84, Holcomb, wareagle22, sw1002, Ron A., 1 invisible), 811 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1173868
12/04/14 05:05 AM
12/04/14 05:05 AM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
We get feedback from both sides. I take it all. Everything that comes in is taken into consideration, and personnel has changed a lot on BW in the last few years. It has had a lot if turnover. I don't plan on going anywhere. I want to make the place as good as it's potential allows. What exactly are the problems you see with Warrior? Other than saying quit changing everything, you were not specific.

Can I put my two cents in laugh

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: outdoors1] #1173872
12/04/14 05:10 AM
12/04/14 05:10 AM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

Your two cents are worthless.

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1173905
12/04/14 05:32 AM
12/04/14 05:32 AM
Mobile,AL
jsh1904 Offline
14 point
jsh1904  Offline
14 point
Mobile,AL

That last time that mofo gave me his two cents it came with a pack of dogs.

This post is protected by copyright. Anyone found posting here is subject to certified mail from my gay sister.
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: outdoors1] #1173930
12/04/14 05:49 AM
12/04/14 05:49 AM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

lol

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1173948
12/04/14 06:02 AM
12/04/14 06:02 AM
Lawrence County
S
SpentShaft Offline
4 point
SpentShaft  Offline
4 point
S
Lawrence County
We get feedback from both sides. I take it all. Everything that comes in is taken into consideration, and personnel has changed a lot on BW in the last few years. It has had a lot if turnover. I don't plan on going anywhere. I want to make the place as good as it's potential allows. What exactly are the problems you see with Warrior? Other than saying quit changing everything, you were not specific.

Matt, I really don't have the time to get into details at the moment but there is a lot of things that I don't get. A few things that come to mind are; no youth hunt, inconsistent antler restrictions between zones, inconsistent hunt dates and length from year to year, sometimes you need a permit from the check station, sometimes you don't, etc, etc.

I will have to set down and look at several years of permits and get my head wrapped around it all. Maybe I'll just get with you in person sometime? I don't want you to think I am just picking on you or Black Warrior on here but if you add all the constant changes to state regs along with the changes to black warrior every year it can make a man wonder whether or not he remembers everything and is hunting legally each time he goes on a hunt.

I would like to add though, I do like some of the changes that have been made recently like the opposite zone of a gun hunt being open to archery and small game. It gives people who don't want to fight the crowd more opportunity to hunt.

On a side note...I saw Ron Eaks write about 10 asian guys from Huntsville tickets for squirrel hunting on zone A when there was a gun hunt on B. I think they had 42 squirrels or something like that, poor guys was probably just trying to keep they're Chinese restaurant a float...."Tree Rat on A Stick" laugh

Last edited by SpentShaft; 12/04/14 06:27 AM.

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: jsh1904] #1173953
12/04/14 06:06 AM
12/04/14 06:06 AM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted By: jsh1904

Hey, hey... I had no idea that folks had started using that place as the neighborhood pound. I enjoyed hunting that particular tract just two year prior. I think TC baited them in with his hitch pooper, you know dogs and rolling in poop.

Last edited by NightHunter; 12/04/14 06:07 AM.
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1173956
12/04/14 06:07 AM
12/04/14 06:07 AM
north alabama
shooters Offline
12 point
shooters  Offline
12 point
north alabama

Originally Posted By: SpentShaft
Quit making and/or changing the rules, regulations, seasons and bag limits every dang year, especially in Black Warrior.

I'm sorry for doing my job. I came in just under three years ago, saw some things that needed changing, got a LOT of feedback from hunters, collected data to support the changes, and did as my job requires. I guess leaving everything alone and status quo is better? That is why you READ the permit. If you read it every year, then changes are not a big deal. If anything, hunting on BW WMA should be less confusing than when I got there, but since people don't read the permit, it's been a big cluster. I'm not going to go into details, but I get asked questions on a daily basis about simple things that are answered on the first paragraph of the permit, if people would just read it.
Maybe its because too many WMA hunters cant read??? rofl

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: shooters] #1173960
12/04/14 06:12 AM
12/04/14 06:12 AM
Lawrence County
S
SpentShaft Offline
4 point
SpentShaft  Offline
4 point
S
Lawrence County
Originally Posted By: shooters

Quit making and/or changing the rules, regulations, seasons and bag limits every dang year, especially in Black Warrior.

I'm sorry for doing my job. I came in just under three years ago, saw some things that needed changing, got a LOT of feedback from hunters, collected data to support the changes, and did as my job requires. I guess leaving everything alone and status quo is better? That is why you READ the permit. If you read it every year, then changes are not a big deal. If anything, hunting on BW WMA should be less confusing than when I got there, but since people don't read the permit, it's been a big cluster. I'm not going to go into details, but I get asked questions on a daily basis about simple things that are answered on the first paragraph of the permit, if people would just read it.
Maybe its because too many WMA hunters cant read??? rofl

rofl I'm sure this is part of it from some of the ones I run across. Don't get me wrong I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I know if I myself have a hard time understanding things those poor guys on the other hand have no clue. slap

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: NightHunter] #1173965
12/04/14 06:20 AM
12/04/14 06:20 AM
Mobile,AL
jsh1904 Offline
14 point
jsh1904  Offline
14 point
Mobile,AL
Originally Posted By: NightHunter

Hey, hey... I had no idea that folks had started using that place as the neighborhood pound. I enjoyed hunting that particular tract just two year prior. I think TC baited them in with his hitch pooper, you know dogs and rolling in poop.

Fortunately they were all mature 3+ year old dogs.

This post is protected by copyright. Anyone found posting here is subject to certified mail from my gay sister.
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: jsh1904] #1173973
12/04/14 06:26 AM
12/04/14 06:26 AM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted By: NightHunter

Fortunately they were all mature 3+ year old dogs.

laugh

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: SpentShaft] #1173996
12/04/14 06:43 AM
12/04/14 06:43 AM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

Matt, I really don't have the time to get into details at the moment but there is a lot of things that I don't get. A few things that come to mind are; no youth hunt, inconsistent antler restrictions between zones, inconsistent hunt dates and length from year to year, sometimes you need a permit from the check station, sometimes you don't, etc, etc.

I will have to set down and look at several years of permits and get my head wrapped around it all. Maybe I'll just get with you in person sometime? I don't want you to think I am just picking on you or Black Warrior on here but if you add all the constant changes to state regs along with the changes to black warrior every year it can make a man wonder whether or not he remembers everything and is hunting legally each time he goes on a hunt.

I would like to add though, I do like some of the changes that have been made recently like the opposite zone of a gun hunt being open to archery and small game. It gives people who don't want to fight the crowd more opportunity to hunt.

On a side note...I saw Ron Eaks write about 10 asian guys from Huntsville tickets for squirrel hunting on zone A when there was a gun hunt on B. I think they had 42 squirrels or something like that, poor guys was probably just trying to keep they're Chinese restaurant a float...."Tree Rat on A Stick" laugh

I'll address some of that. On the youth hunt, I don't have an answer to that one. Maybe it has been done before there before my time? I haven't changed that since coming along, but am certainly not opposed to having one. We do have a youth turkey hunt and get a small handful of hunters on over 90,000 acres. I guess it's good for the 6 that show up, but I haven't seen a turkey killed on the youth hunt in three years.

Difference in antler regs comes from there being two zones. Zone A is mostly in the wilderness, what isn't in wilderness is under some other type of least management necessary agreement, so I can't touch that. Because we have no control or input on the habitat management on Zone A, we do not require antler regs. Whatever is state legal is good. I am in full support of that. I like having an area where hunters can hunt without fear of breaking an antler reg. They can kill whatever they want to. Zone B is different. We do more active timber management, record more data, and have antler restrictions to increase the number of older age class bucks. To me it's the best of both worlds. Deer hunters that don't care what they kill and have only a few days to hunt each year can hunt Zone A. Hunters who are more selective hunt Zone B. But I will say this, from what I've seen there is no difference in the trophy potential from either Zone.

When I got there the hunt dates were all over the board, and there were hunts on both Zones that required daily permits and map permits. It was confusing. I ASSUMED by making all Zone B hunts daily permits, and all Zone A hunts map/permits some of the confusion would be minimalized. Boy was I wrong. From talking to the hunters who are the most confused it's clearly no fault of mine. Majority of them ADMITTED to not reading a dang word on the permit. It states three times on that permit that Zone A hunts are map/permits, Zone B hunts are daily permits.

Those Asian guys are still at it! I see them every year on opening day now hunting the opposite Zone. They crack me up. They are as excited to be out there as any person I've ever seen.

Last edited by Matt Brock; 12/04/14 06:44 AM.
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: outdoors1] #1173998
12/04/14 06:44 AM
12/04/14 06:44 AM
Alabama Wetumpka
Talltines Offline
on probation
Talltines  Offline
on probation
Alabama Wetumpka
One thing I see that they could do is to put a little check station at each entrance at the gates. That way they could possible get a better idea on what is taken. A lot of deer killed just get put in the back of the truck and there gone. Because the check station is to far away and they are running late because they had to drag 1 mile out.

Other would be doe permits for the land for Bow hunters like they do for the gun hunters.

Open up more hog hunts during the off season or open them up year round for hog hunts Since Every Biologist say they hate them and want them gone but don't want the hunters to help for some reason.

Hunting Is my Obsession, My Passion, My Everything, Oh so is my wife.
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: outdoors1] #1174036
12/04/14 07:06 AM
12/04/14 07:06 AM
Winston County, AL
J
Joshua Offline
spike
Joshua  Offline
spike
J
Winston County, AL
"Open up more hog hunts during the off season or open them up year round for hog hunts Since Every Biologist say they hate them and want them gone but don't want the hunters to help for some reason."

I've been curious about that as well. I'm assuming it has something to do with either poaching or disturbing wildlife in the off season, but I don't know.

Taking Black Warrior as an example, are the two special hog hunts, plus the deer hunts on Zone A, enough to keep them in check, or is the area biologist and others having to trap at other times as well? If trapping is needed, why choose that option over extending hunting seasons on them?

Last edited by Joshua; 12/04/14 07:07 AM. Reason: Grammar
Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: outdoors1] #1174064
12/04/14 07:31 AM
12/04/14 07:31 AM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

We trap on black warrior from May-August, and remove more hogs than hunters do on all combined hunts.

Here is the problem, and it's not speculation, paranoia, government over reach, or anything like that. It's a simple fact. When you give people an opportunity to hunt hogs there is a segment of that group that will do anything to make sure that opportunity always exist. The more liberal hog seasons and regs are the MORE hogs you have. I'm not making this stuff. It's the truth. We've finally started to see a difference on BW after three years if fine tuning our trapping efforts, and being methodical about it, instead of just running and gunning.

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1174069
12/04/14 07:34 AM
12/04/14 07:34 AM
Lawrence County
S
SpentShaft Offline
4 point
SpentShaft  Offline
4 point
S
Lawrence County

I'll address some of that. On the youth hunt, I don't have an answer to that one. Maybe it has been done before there before my time? I haven't changed that since coming along, but am certainly not opposed to having one. We do have a youth turkey hunt and get a small handful of hunters on over 90,000 acres. I guess it's good for the 6 that show up, but I haven't seen a turkey killed on the youth hunt in three years.

Difference in antler regs comes from there being two zones. Zone A is mostly in the wilderness, what isn't in wilderness is under some other type of least management necessary agreement, so I can't touch that. Because we have no control or input on the habitat management on Zone A, we do not require antler regs. Whatever is state legal is good. I am in full support of that. I like having an area where hunters can hunt without fear of breaking an antler reg. They can kill whatever they want to. Zone B is different. We do more active timber management, record more data, and have antler restrictions to increase the number of older age class bucks. To me it's the best of both worlds. Deer hunters that don't care what they kill and have only a few days to hunt each year can hunt Zone A. Hunters who are more selective hunt Zone B. But I will say this, from what I've seen there is no difference in the trophy potential from either Zone.

When I got there the hunt dates were all over the board, and there were hunts on both Zones that required daily permits and map permits. It was confusing. I ASSUMED by making all Zone B hunts daily permits, and all Zone A hunts map/permits some of the confusion would be minimalized. Boy was I wrong. From talking to the hunters who are the most confused it's clearly no fault of mine. Majority of them ADMITTED to not reading a dang word on the permit. It states three times on that permit that Zone A hunts are map/permits, Zone B hunts are daily permits.

Those Asian guys are still at it! I see them every year on opening day now hunting the opposite Zone. They crack me up. They are as excited to be out there as any person I've ever seen.

Thanks Matt, This clears up alot of my questions as to why things are being done the way they are. I think the wording and format of the permit must add to the confusion about the dates and permits required because the way you stated it above is rather clear..

I will add however the following is an exageration wink - "It states three times on that permit that Zone A hunts are map/permits, Zone B hunts are daily permits"... Nowhere on the map does it use that sentence or anything similar three times. I just read the whole thing, again. The map permit informs you twice on the front(away from the rest of the regs) that the map is to be used for deer hunts of less than 4 consecutive days. It words it differently both times on the front yet the hunt dates are all garbelled together with a bunch of other notes and astericks on the back.

Hey I understand though you can't please everybody and people will eventually quit hassling you about it I'm sure once they all learn to read..... whistle

Last edited by SpentShaft; 12/04/14 07:49 AM.

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: shooters] #1174078
12/04/14 07:37 AM
12/04/14 07:37 AM
North AL
just_an_illusion Offline
10 point
just_an_illusion  Offline
10 point
North AL
Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
Skyline needs to get on some type of burn program with all the cutovers. Skyline needs to do away with a lot of either sex rifle hunts. Game wardens need to be seen in other places than the main drag off 79. Food plots need to be planted in perennial type crops.
AND put a stop to all the non-hunting 4 wheeler riding!

This times 100. Never understood why they can ride during deer season but not in the summer. Sure seems like a good way to p!$$ a bunch of people off and get someone shot. We ran into a whole crew who were just joy riding this past Saturday.

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1174082
12/04/14 07:42 AM
12/04/14 07:42 AM
Lawrence County
S
SpentShaft Offline
4 point
SpentShaft  Offline
4 point
S
Lawrence County
We trap on black warrior from May-August, and remove more hogs than hunters do on all combined hunts.

Here is the problem, and it's not speculation, paranoia, government over reach, or anything like that. It's a simple fact. When you give people an opportunity to hunt hogs there is a segment of that group that will do anything to make sure that opportunity always exist. The more liberal hog seasons and regs are the MORE hogs you have. I'm not making this stuff. It's the truth. We've finally started to see a difference on BW after three years if fine tuning our trapping efforts, and being methodical about it, instead of just running and gunning.

This is the first year I've noticed a decline in sitings myself. I had heard you guys put the hurt on them with trapping this summer. I comend your efforts, job well done!

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: just_an_illusion] #1174101
12/04/14 07:59 AM
12/04/14 07:59 AM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted By: just_an_illusion
Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
Skyline needs to get on some type of burn program with all the cutovers. Skyline needs to do away with a lot of either sex rifle hunts. Game wardens need to be seen in other places than the main drag off 79. Food plots need to be planted in perennial type crops.
AND put a stop to all the non-hunting 4 wheeler riding!

This times 100. Never understood why they can ride during deer season but not in the summer. Sure seems like a good way to p!$$ a bunch of people off and get someone shot. We ran into a whole crew who were just joy riding this past Saturday.

I counted over 25 riders go by the camp headed up onto Skyline Saturday, must have been some of them.

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: ] #1174128
12/04/14 08:24 AM
12/04/14 08:24 AM
Winston County, AL
J
Joshua Offline
spike
Joshua  Offline
spike
J
Winston County, AL

I see. I was just curious; given a choice between hogs to hunt and no hogs at all I'll take no hogs. They're too destructive and prolific to allow them to spread. It's unfortunate that the issue of more hunting means more hogs plays out the way it does.

Re: Ideas on making WMA's better? [Re: Southwood7] #1174150
12/04/14 08:33 AM
12/04/14 08:33 AM
vinemont
H
headshot Offline
4 point
headshot  Offline
4 point
H
vinemont

Originally Posted By: Southwood7
I would like some of the wma's go to draw hunts instead of a free for all. This would work great on smaller wma's I think.

years ago thats how it was. you would either draw a either sex or buck only.
I like to hunt Black warrior ( Bankhead)and it was alot better when it was Bucks only during bow saeson. i wish it would go back to that to cut down on the pressure. I can remember watching several Doe that would go north of 150Lbs. then when they opened it up to either sex the first guy i had walk in on me said" were here to kill em big ol doe

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.