</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
2018 Crestliner PT20
by rahoovie. 05/13/24 09:45 PM
Marlin 1895-G 45-70 Factory Ported 18"
by CouchNapper. 05/13/24 08:28 PM
350 Legend & 7mm-08 Ammo
by Cdub. 05/13/24 05:48 PM
Few guns for sale
by thayerp81. 05/13/24 04:50 PM
2016 Sea Ark RXT 872
by klay. 05/13/24 03:52 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Meat hunt outfitter?
by TDog93. 05/13/24 09:11 PM
Tennessee
by Tree Dweller. 05/13/24 08:38 AM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/12/24 07:06 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Bore. 05/12/24 04:50 PM
Ohio record typical
by Big Bore. 05/12/24 04:47 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Chiller, dirtwrk, ParrotHead89, Tree Dweller, Gobl4me, Bowfish, hamma, cartervj, !shiloh!, Bustinbeards, filespinner, roosterbob, rahoovie, Teacher One, kpswihart, BamaBoHunter, Chaser357, Wapiti55, Eutaw, Dragfan66, kyles, RareBreed, Narrow Gap, CrimsonWSM, jaredhunts, AJones, CrappieMan, brianr, Rockstar007, StateLine, Skullworks, graydw1, centralala, 1bamashooter, DuckDown11, gog1015, Thread Killer, JCL, Ditchdigger, 3 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: bamachem] #903734
03/18/14 09:07 AM
03/18/14 09:07 AM
Morgantown, KY
bugfixer Offline
8 point
bugfixer  Offline
8 point
Morgantown, KY
Originally Posted By: bamachem
My 10 year old got an airbook this year in 5th grade. He's doing well with it. He brings it home nightly. They are covered by insurance. If broken by negligence, there's a small deductable. My 6 year old has one in his class for 1st grade. It does not come home with him until 4th grade.

I am not sure what they told you, but if your kid is in Baldwin County Public School, and he got an air book from them, that $64 you paid is not insurance, it's usage fee. If the power supply quits working, you have to buy another one from them for $80. If you crack the screen, it will cost you about $1000. Some administrator call this insurance some call it a usage fee, but from what was told at the school meeting I went to and buy friends who work in the system is that this is a usage fee. It will not cover damages.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #903747
03/18/14 09:16 AM
03/18/14 09:16 AM
Gainesville, Florida
Ian Offline
8 point
Ian  Offline
8 point
Gainesville, Florida
You can get a new Android Tablet for $159... I used either my Macbook or iPad while in college to take notes and for my books. It was amazingly easy to use except the iPad didn't do flash which most of the online homework was in flash. But I recorded the class audio which was synced up to my notes which made it a lot easier.

Plus I didn't have a 100lb backpack to carry around.

With that being said, I'm sure they can make a "construction" type tablet and I think it should be part of the fees for school. Most kids are technically sound and it would be probably more beneficial for them to use them. These tablets could be locked down so only certain approved sites would work. ie: school sites that were set up for History class with all the data and text needed and one for every class.

Now I know that would cost a lot to set up, but Alabama's education system is terrible and they need to look into ways of making it better.

I also firmly believe that Homework shouldn't be put on students in such high amounts. I never did much homework at home while in school. If I didn't get it done in class or at school it wasn't done. I carried a 3.0 in college. I also never studied for tests. When I studied for my tests I did worse on the test, especially math.

What I did do that seemed to help a ton was to quickly read over my notes the five minutes before class started. just a quick re-fresher and that was amazing. I should also say that I have ADHD and Dyslexia.

I came from a German mother, (I was born in Germany too) and a First generation American/German father. So this ADHD is kind of a shame on the family. I'm good at finance math but Algebra, pre cal I was terrible and couldn't figure it out.

For our family doing things half ass isn't allowed, but I was the king of it, and did well doing that too.

We just need to make the students have a little fun in school. Keep them in school and teach them useful things.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: BrotherTurtle] #903820
03/18/14 10:12 AM
03/18/14 10:12 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

Originally Posted By: BrotherTurtle
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
I wish I could opt out of paying taxes for the school system.

Yeah. We home school. In order to do that, my wife doesn't work. I make decent money, but it is still hard in a one income family. If they let me keep what I pay in property tax each year, it would cover a good portion of what we pay to teach the kids each year.

We home school also and my property taxes earmarked for the schools would cover all the curriculum costs we pay outof packet each year and then some.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #903842
03/18/14 10:29 AM
03/18/14 10:29 AM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
My taxes go to pay firemen's salaries. I have never needed a fireman, so I should get a refund for that too? Right, I mean if we are not using the services we pay taxes for, they should just give it back.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #903847
03/18/14 10:35 AM
03/18/14 10:35 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Kids don't need to carry 1/3 to 1/2 their body weight around in a backpack. Great idea, but a simple reader is all that's needed and it's costs nothing to copy information.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: doekiller] #903865
03/18/14 10:50 AM
03/18/14 10:50 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

Originally Posted By: doekiller

I also have a problem with some people home schooling. In my opinion, if you want to home school your kids, you should at least be able to pass test showing you are not a complete idiot. I know some people that pulled there kids so they could get a "better education". Only problem is the parents barely made it out of high school. WTF are they going to teach them? There was a secretary at my old law firm that was home schooling her high school aged son. Only problem, she worked full time. Explain that to me.

As a "serious" home school parent, I don't have an explanation on how that works for the good of the child when parents are "home schooling" without really investing heavily into WITH their kids.

However, there are many ways for a full time working parent to effectively home school. A high school kid doesn't need hand holding. Parents can select a book based curriculum and facilitate the instruction in a non-traditional fashion: Give student an assignment, let them work it out and study during the day, debrief in the evenings. This is the hard way. What a large % of people use for some if not all is DVD and online curriculum where the instruction is provided...distance e-learning model. There are cooperative classes where students get instruction by certified teachers or subject mater experts, then they do their homework at home until the next class.

As an example, I'd put up the Potter's School curriculum and teaching against the best school in America any day of the week.

So just because a parent barely made it out of high school or works full time, doesn't preclude them from being able to offer a good level of home based education. It takes thinking outside of the John Dewey educational institutional box.

Further I would suggest that the State of Alabama Department of Education and the Federal Department of Education really have zero business in education the way I see it. The responsibility and duty of educations begins and ends with the parents. If there are schools, they should all be locally based, operated and controlled on a voluntary basis as far as attendance in concerned. Where in the Constitution or Declaration of Independence or any of our founding documents and discussions does it lay out the plan for compulsory federal and state led institutional schooling? Well, that doesn't exist.

Modern institutional education is a failure in so many schools. It is all about test scores and getting federal dollars for programs. There is a great black hole in teaching critical thinking skills, problem solving, logic, argument-speech-debate, classic literature/creative writing, and the classical education principles of Socrates, Aristotle, Plato etc... Not to even mention nurturing the heart of a child in the values of integrity, good character, honor, virtue, goodness, Godliness, and discipline. These things I listed are not taught in the public institutions today, but for a hand full of very wealthy school districts. Only a small % of private schools subscribe to this too. The home school community and private classical schools are really the only places with any traction in these areas.

We live in a technological world. Teaching technology, advanced math and sciences are important and useful and helpful. Using Ipads and computers for instruction is great, if there are the appropriate safeguards. But when you couple technology with critical thinking/classical education that is from a character development platform....that is the apex of modern education.

Why the apex? You enable a child to reason, to think, to problem solve...you enable them to attain discipline and to develop the love/desire to learn. And when they are so equipped, they can master most anything they put into their sights to achieve. Today's modern schools (along with modern education philosophy)are missing that mark in abundance. Granted, there are some individual students that do learn at a deep level and do develop that critical thinking skill set, but I'd wager that they were so inclined at birth or have heavily active parents involved in their education.

Public Education in America has been taken over by the liberal Progressive Movement. It is a designed failure.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: doekiller] #903869
03/18/14 10:54 AM
03/18/14 10:54 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
My taxes go to pay firemen's salaries. I have never needed a fireman, so I should get a refund for that too? Right, I mean if we are not using the services we pay taxes for, they should just give it back.

Scott, if you want to exclude your home from fire coverage, then go ahead. Opt out and you don't get the service. Sounds good to me. grin

But I understand your point. A la carte' taxation will never work. The emphasis is that we who home school do it out of our own pocket, much like private school users do. I'm not asking for a "refund"...but I wouldn't turn it down either.

Last edited by straycat; 03/18/14 10:58 AM.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #903884
03/18/14 11:13 AM
03/18/14 11:13 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Back to the original post topic...

The idea of using technology to replace textbooks has merit. But what we'll see is the poor implementation and administration of the program in many schools combined with tons of headaches and problems at a student and local tech admin level.

The bigger problem is the over all education spending in general. Too much money wasted and spent on Progressive philosophy goals and not on the basics. Something is missing in public education today...real learning and critical thinking skills. Ipad instead of textbook cannot fix that. I'll stop there as not to write a book.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TChunter] #903897
03/18/14 11:29 AM
03/18/14 11:29 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
I agree with Clem but unfortunately with today's society being more about instant gratification instead of wisdom and being future minded I feel those that use it for good are now the minority.

I agree with this.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #903915
03/18/14 11:46 AM
03/18/14 11:46 AM
Glendale, FL
W
WhiteCityHunter Offline
6 point
WhiteCityHunter  Offline
6 point
W
Glendale, FL
I'm a teacher in Florida and we use laptops, desk tops, iPods and iPads for our students. We have firewalls in place that only allow access to certain sites. Facebook, etc cannot be accessed at all and that also includes any non-educational sites. We have to teach our kids to learn this technology or they will be left behind by other kids and not receive the same quality of education. It's about moving forward and making sure our kids get all the tools for their toolbox. Believe me in order to compete in today's world we need to give all the tools people use in the real world in order to succeed.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: straycat] #903962
03/18/14 12:28 PM
03/18/14 12:28 PM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
Originally Posted By: straycat

Scott, if you want to exclude your home from fire coverage, then go ahead. Opt out and you don't get the service. Sounds good to me. grin

But I understand your point. A la carte' taxation will never work. The emphasis is that we who home school do it out of our own pocket, much like private school users do. I'm not asking for a "refund"...but I wouldn't turn it down either.

I do think you should get a credit. But, that opens it up for a lot of cheating from people who say they are doing it.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: straycat] #903969
03/18/14 12:34 PM
03/18/14 12:34 PM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house

I also have a problem with some people home schooling. In my opinion, if you want to home school your kids, you should at least be able to pass test showing you are not a complete idiot. I know some people that pulled there kids so they could get a "better education". Only problem is the parents barely made it out of high school. WTF are they going to teach them? There was a secretary at my old law firm that was home schooling her high school aged son. Only problem, she worked full time. Explain that to me.

As a "serious" home school parent, I don't have an explanation on how that works for the good of the child when parents are "home schooling" without really investing heavily into WITH their kids.

However, there are many ways for a full time working parent to effectively home school. A high school kid doesn't need hand holding. Parents can select a book based curriculum and facilitate the instruction in a non-traditional fashion: Give student an assignment, let them work it out and study during the day, debrief in the evenings. This is the hard way. What a large % of people use for some if not all is DVD and online curriculum where the instruction is provided...distance e-learning model. There are cooperative classes where students get instruction by certified teachers or subject mater experts, then they do their homework at home until the next class.

As an example, I'd put up the Potter's School curriculum and teaching against the best school in America any day of the week.

So just because a parent barely made it out of high school or works full time, doesn't preclude them from being able to offer a good level of home based education. It takes thinking outside of the John Dewey educational institutional box.

Further I would suggest that the State of Alabama Department of Education and the Federal Department of Education really have zero business in education the way I see it. The responsibility and duty of educations begins and ends with the parents. If there are schools, they should all be locally based, operated and controlled on a voluntary basis as far as attendance in concerned. Where in the Constitution or Declaration of Independence or any of our founding documents and discussions does it lay out the plan for compulsory federal and state led institutional schooling? Well, that doesn't exist.

Modern institutional education is a failure in so many schools. It is all about test scores and getting federal dollars for programs. There is a great black hole in teaching critical thinking skills, problem solving, logic, argument-speech-debate, classic literature/creative writing, and the classical education principles of Socrates, Aristotle, Plato etc... Not to even mention nurturing the heart of a child in the values of integrity, good character, honor, virtue, goodness, Godliness, and discipline. These things I listed are not taught in the public institutions today, but for a hand full of very wealthy school districts. Only a small % of private schools subscribe to this too. The home school community and private classical schools are really the only places with any traction in these areas.

We live in a technological world. Teaching technology, advanced math and sciences are important and useful and helpful. Using Ipads and computers for instruction is great, if there are the appropriate safeguards. But when you couple technology with critical thinking/classical education that is from a character development platform....that is the apex of modern education.

Why the apex? You enable a child to reason, to think, to problem solve...you enable them to attain discipline and to develop the love/desire to learn. And when they are so equipped, they can master most anything they put into their sights to achieve. Today's modern schools (along with modern education philosophy)are missing that mark in abundance. Granted, there are some individual students that do learn at a deep level and do develop that critical thinking skill set, but I'd wager that they were so inclined at birth or have heavily active parents involved in their education.

Public Education in America has been taken over by the liberal Progressive Movement. It is a designed failure.

I know people like you that really teach their children's and they are the majority. But, you can not say there is not a lot of people who are teaching nothing and have no business trying to teach anything.

The secretary in my office didn't teach him anything. She pulled him from school so he could ice skate all day. She knew he was going to win a gold medal.

I know of two couples who are home schooling their kids that absolutely teach them nothing. One of them has a son Will's age. They talk about how smart he is. He can tell you every great full dead song, phish song or Beatles song, but he couldn't write a sentence, do a math problem or tell you any presidents before their Hero Obama.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #903988
03/18/14 01:00 PM
03/18/14 01:00 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
I think if you legitimately home school you should get a credit.

But if you do that, your homeschooled kids cannot participate in any school activity - band, chess club, team sports, spelling bee, nothing. Not a thing. Can't have it both ways.

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: Clem] #903998
03/18/14 01:10 PM
03/18/14 01:10 PM
Andalusia, Covington County, A...
TexasHuntress Offline OP
14 point
TexasHuntress  Offline OP
14 point
Andalusia, Covington County, A...
Originally Posted By: Clem

But if you do that, your homeschooled kids cannot participate in any school activity - band, chess club, team sports, spelling bee, nothing. Not a thing. Can't have it both ways.

How many homeschooled kids are allowed to participate in a public school extracirricular activity? I didn't realize that was even an option. However, if you are in close proximity to other homeschoolers, you can generally have your own activities, plus that of the city or county recreation leagues.

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.---Winnie the Pooh
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #904203
03/18/14 03:07 PM
03/18/14 03:07 PM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
Originally Posted By: TexasHuntress

How many homeschooled kids are allowed to participate in a public school extracirricular activity? I didn't realize that was even an option. However, if you are in close proximity to other homeschoolers, you can generally have your own activities, plus that of the city or county recreation leagues.

I don't know if there are many, but I know a couple that participate in some school related activities but are home schooled.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #904243
03/18/14 03:22 PM
03/18/14 03:22 PM
Near Deland, Florida
EDSKI Offline
10 point
EDSKI  Offline
10 point
Near Deland, Florida

http://www.timtebowbill.com/

28 states allow it

Last edited by EDSKI; 03/18/14 03:25 PM.

Without your 2nd amendment rights you have no 1st amendment rights.
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #904266
03/18/14 03:35 PM
03/18/14 03:35 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
However, if you are in close proximity to other homeschoolers, you can generally have your own activities, plus that of the city or county recreation leagues.

That has been offered as an alternative, since the homeschool kids aren't at the public (or private, I guess) schools.

I believe one of the counter-arguments is the homeschool parents pay taxes even if their kids don't attend the public school and therefore they should be allowed to participate.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: doekiller] #904421
03/18/14 04:53 PM
03/18/14 04:53 PM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.
Originally Posted By: sbo1971
Originally Posted By: roadkill
I have a clue too. Retired from Hsv City Schools last year. I was at Grissom when they did the conversion to laptops for two thousand kids. There is a firewall but the kids quickly learn how to get around it. Used to be the jock was the hero - now its the computer geek who can blow through firewalls and get to porn and cool games without getting caught. Had one girl with computer problems and when checked found she had 200 plus youtube videos on hers. Kids play games constantly. Have repeated problems getting assigned homework done because of bandwith use between the hours of 4-10 pm. Assignments are all done on PCs, files get lost/corrupted/software problems regularly. Kids do not know how to write. If a kid doesn't have internet at home he has to go to the library to do assignments. Kids lose them, drop them, spill drinks on them, leave them in the rain, and they are stolen. Its a damn circus. Batteries constantly needing charged. Fifty per cent of a teacher's time is dealing with software stuff or new training on how to use it. I do not miss it at all. Only good part is you don't have to make them sit and be quiet. They have their faces in the screens. I recommend home schooling whenever asked.

At least a few get what Im talking about unfortunately too many have their heads buried in the sand. After what I saw was going on in the schools we swapped to homeschooling and I as well recommend it or private school to everyone. The kids are not learning they are playing and not having to learn, I listened to a principle tell the teachers to whatever they have to in order to pass students because do many had failed the exit exam, then I saw what that"whatever they have too" consisted of.

Our school system is very good and the academic focus is intense. I was not required to do anywhere close to what my son has to do in school.
My wife is a kindergarten teacher. In the 15 years she has been teaching she says the shift towards more academics is crazy. When she first started, kids had to know the ABC and to go to first grade. Now, they expect children to be reading by the end of kindergarten.

You should not lump all public schools together. There are some public school systems in Alabama that are a LOT better than some of the private schools around. There are private schools that don't even require you to have a college degree to teach in them.

First; my wife stays home with the kids, their work is graded by the homeschool that we are with and their work is turned in regularly as the state checks this. My oldest son graduated from the public ed system, he passed his SAT's when he was 12 yrs old with a score higher than many of the 11th and 12th graders that took the test. One semester his math teacher couldn't explain how to do several of the problems, another semester he had a chemistry teacher who was not even certified to teach chemistry. I stated what I have seen first hand, another person on here who is a teacher made a similar statement, don't believe what we're saying, that's your right. It will not be cheaper nor will it help the kids to do better in school, do you have any proof that it will? It wasn't that long ago that every kid had to have a laptop because it was going to make learning easier for them and help them, guess what, it didn't. Now it's the tablet, what will be next? Companies pair with education systems to sell this same bit every couple of years to parents who jump on board because it's for the benefit of the kids; yeah right.

Elite Omnia, Easton FMJ, Axcel Landslyde 5 pin slider.
Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: doekiller] #905263
03/19/14 10:24 AM
03/19/14 10:24 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

I know people like you that really teach their children's and they are the majority. But, you can not say there is not a lot of people who are teaching nothing and have no business trying to teach anything.

The secretary in my office didn't teach him anything. She pulled him from school so he could ice skate all day. She knew he was going to win a gold medal.

I know of two couples who are home schooling their kids that absolutely teach them nothing. One of them has a son Will's age. They talk about how smart he is. He can tell you every great full dead song, phish song or Beatles song, but he couldn't write a sentence, do a math problem or tell you any presidents before their Hero Obama.

I get that. I know some people who home school that don't do anything. They used the loopholes in the law. Sad thing is, there are kids who actually go to public schools who don't learn anything at all either...never cracka book, parent's are not involved at all, skip school, cause trouble, get passed up to next grade over and over, even put into special education and then drop out. 10x more kids like this than are pulled out to homeschool but don't do any school work.

But loser parents are loser parents.

Mike's opinion here....But ultimately, it is the parent's right to do what they want as far as education goes even if it is stupid....or otherwise we are acknowledging that the state and only the state (gov't) has authority to educate. That is scary.

I'd rather have a very very small few losers call it "home schooling", then have the state be in control and have exclusive authority of my child's education.

Last edited by straycat; 03/19/14 10:25 AM.

Re: Thoughts on Digital Textbooks in Alabama Public Schools [Re: TexasHuntress] #905269
03/19/14 10:28 AM
03/19/14 10:28 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

It is not an option. At least not in Alabama as a whole. Is there some district that lets a kid or two in to do some extracurricular....maybe so. But it is not the rule.

The Tebow type legislation that some states have adopted, but AL will not or hasn't yet, would allow home school students to participate in activities that are paid for with taxes by the parents. All kinds of rules and if this , then that stuff.

Last edited by straycat; 03/19/14 10:29 AM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.