</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB 3” Remington 870 20 gauge
by JUGHEAD. 05/07/24 10:55 AM
Husqvarna 460 Rancher
by Justice. 05/07/24 10:25 AM
ZEISS CONQUEST V4
by extreme heights hunter. 05/06/24 01:54 PM
McWhorter .45 XML muzzlelaoder and accessories
by daylate. 05/06/24 01:30 PM
Framed Duck Prints - Woodies and Canvasbacks
by Rem870s2. 05/06/24 12:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 05/07/24 07:43 AM
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by marshmud991. 05/06/24 05:08 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Snuffy. 05/06/24 03:28 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by Overland. 05/06/24 02:53 PM
Velvet
by Turkey_neck. 05/04/24 09:13 AM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Who's Online Now
123 registered members (doghouse, Gobble4me757, 2 ducks, Morris, BhamFred, Mbrock, Lvlhdd, odocoileus, rutwad, mathews prostaff, hunter84, fillmore, cdaddy14, Fishduck, M48scout, Birdfeathers, TensawRiver, cartervj, Dixiepatriot, oakachoy, Tracker, Buckwheat, Wahoo, Andalusia, 7PTSPREAD, mossyback, USeeMSpurs, jacannon, 300gr, Tree Dweller, ColeT, RareBreed, Turkey, CNC, SEWoodsWhitetail, luvnhuntn, AJones, slim68, booner, WDE, KnightRyder, BCLC, dtmwtp, blade, beetrapper, salock, scrubbuck, leroyb, CatfishJunkie, fish251, Ol’Tom, abolt300, canichols424, Dubie, trlrdrdave, JohnG, Mansfield, hoggin, Semo, William, Coosa1, Brian_C, mcninja, Garndawg, Uokman2014, Chiller, Tailwalk7, Scout308, healy4au, Skullworks, SouthBamaSlayer, mikewhandley, TexasHuntress, Solothurn, eclipse829, foldemup, MAG, Kang, Jehu, bates2rw, slippinlipjr, Forrestgump1, ShaftOne, brett.smith, Justice, CeeHawk37, NVM1031, roll_tide_hunts, JA, Sgt_mike, Jweeks, bug54, Austin1, AU7MM08, BraeBuckner, BamaBoHunter, Jmoore77, 3Gs, just_an_illusion, WMEC615, Raspy, curt99rsv, longshot, Backwards cowboy, hippi, Ray_Coon, ducky25, AU338MAG, Geeb, Okatuppa, 007, 12 invisible), 943 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: School Me FFS [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #4108381
03/28/24 12:53 PM
03/28/24 12:53 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I think someone needs to point out in this thread that Ben and Beadle are 2 of the best fishermen in the state and were catching boat loads of fish long before getting a LS. Combine the knowledge they already had with the LS technology and the result is that they catch even more. But don't get the idea that all the average yahoo needs to do is to buy a LS and he will immediately become a master fishermen. I can promise you that it doesn't work that way.

For the average fisherman, somebody like me, live bait is a miles more effective technique than using a LS. You don't have to know much at all to land a bunch of bass if you have a bucket of spottail minnows. But give that average guy a LS and he will likely catch fewer fish with it than he would without it. The reason for that is he will waste a lot of time trying to catch fish that won't bite. And a lot of times they won't even be the target species. I've had a LS a couple of years now, try to fish once a week on a 4-6 hour trip, and I am not sure I have yet learned enough that I catch more bass with it than I did without it. I am certain that I catch smaller fish; the bigger ones don't run in the schools that are chasing bait, so I'm not fishing where they are when using the LS. The last few trips we have done a lot better by ignoring the LS and just fishing, but I still can't resist wasting time when I see one on the screen.

The real controversy about the LS is it's use in the major tournaments on TV. Watching someone else fish with a LS when you can't see their screen is about as boring as it gets. If they ban them, it won't be because they are catching too many fish, it will be because people quit watching the show.

I fish for the fun of it, and fishing with a LS is a lot of fun to me. I've always enjoyed any sort of sight fishing, and while it isn't exactly the same, it's still very interesting to me. It's definitely more effective for me for crappie fishing than for bass; I can see the schools and catch them at times besides the spring now. I don't keep any more fish than I ever did, but now I carry home more crappie instead of bass. I would think most would consider that a good thing.

To show how accomplished I've become with it, I was bass fishing around bait last fall and we kept seeing big stripers swim by the bait I wasted a lot of time trying to catch one and finally hooked one on a BFS reel with 5 lb line. Fought him for about 20 minutes and my partner finally netted him. He weighed 18 pounds, but maybe I am not so good at identifying the species. smile

[Linked Image]

It does seem like the bigger fish I catch on LS are singles or doubles out floating In the middle of the creek most of the time. I'm also not the biggest live scoper there is either I can catch fish with it but I usually get bored after an hour or two and I want to go swim a jig or throw a big swimbait. I think the advancement hlthat has helped fishermen the most is fluorocarbon line. I took a buddy that has ms live bait fishing about a month ago he had mono on his spinning rod I had flouro. I could watch the bass swim up to his bait and not eat it. I could pitch to that fish and he would eat immediately.

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4108457
03/28/24 03:52 PM
03/28/24 03:52 PM
Guntersville, AL
IDOT Offline
I am Cornholio
IDOT  Offline
I am Cornholio
Guntersville, AL
It's kind of funny, that folks talk about how horrible FFS is and how bad it's impacting the fish popuation but then those same people go out and hammer/keep limits of spawning fish......

Originally Posted by Patricia Heaton
If you’re a common sense person, you probably don’t feel you have a home in this world right now. If you’re a Christian, you know you were never meant to.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4108465
03/28/24 04:07 PM
03/28/24 04:07 PM
Guntersville, AL
IDOT Offline
I am Cornholio
IDOT  Offline
I am Cornholio
Guntersville, AL
Taking a deeper dive into it. If you go after the crappie that are spawning, here is what your doing to the population.

White Crappie, will lay between 3,000 and 150,000 eggs per spawn. So for every spawning White Crappie you catch and keep, here is your impact:

1-3% of the fry will survive to maturity
-(3000) = 30/90
-(150000) = 1500/4500

Last edited by IDOT; 03/28/24 04:08 PM.

Originally Posted by Patricia Heaton
If you’re a common sense person, you probably don’t feel you have a home in this world right now. If you’re a Christian, you know you were never meant to.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4108555
03/28/24 07:19 PM
03/28/24 07:19 PM
Pell City, AL, USA
O
Okalona Offline
3 point
Okalona  Offline
3 point
O
Pell City, AL, USA
I’m not a great fisherman or own a nice boat but also am not hating on those who do spend that kind of money on a rig or electronics
I mean it’s just an observation that it can’t be good for the sport of bass fishing and probably not good for the survival of fish in our lakes and rivers. I mean if everyone had thier catch rate go up like y’all who are fortunate enough that has one or two or three screens on thier boat I just don’t see that being a good thing

I mean they done ruined college football. Now fishing. Can’t have nothing.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: Okalona] #4108713
03/29/24 04:48 AM
03/29/24 04:48 AM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Originally Posted by Okalona
I’m not a great fisherman or own a nice boat but also am not hating on those who do spend that kind of money on a rig or electronics
I mean it’s just an observation that it can’t be good for the sport of bass fishing and probably not good for the survival of fish in our lakes and rivers. I mean if everyone had thier catch rate go up like y’all who are fortunate enough that has one or two or three screens on thier boat I just don’t see that being a good thing

I mean they done ruined college football. Now fishing. Can’t have nothing.

It has made fishing great again
Going catching sometimes is what is needed!

Re: School Me FFS [Re: Beadlescomb] #4108883
03/29/24 11:38 AM
03/29/24 11:38 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

I think someone needs to point out in this thread that Ben and Beadle are 2 of the best fishermen in the state and were catching boat loads of fish long before getting a LS. Combine the knowledge they already had with the LS technology and the result is that they catch even more. But don't get the idea that all the average yahoo needs to do is to buy a LS and he will immediately become a master fishermen. I can promise you that it doesn't work that way.

For the average fisherman, somebody like me, live bait is a miles more effective technique than using a LS. You don't have to know much at all to land a bunch of bass if you have a bucket of spottail minnows. But give that average guy a LS and he will likely catch fewer fish with it than he would without it. The reason for that is he will waste a lot of time trying to catch fish that won't bite. And a lot of times they won't even be the target species. I've had a LS a couple of years now, try to fish once a week on a 4-6 hour trip, and I am not sure I have yet learned enough that I catch more bass with it than I did without it. I am certain that I catch smaller fish; the bigger ones don't run in the schools that are chasing bait, so I'm not fishing where they are when using the LS. The last few trips we have done a lot better by ignoring the LS and just fishing, but I still can't resist wasting time when I see one on the screen.

The real controversy about the LS is it's use in the major tournaments on TV. Watching someone else fish with a LS when you can't see their screen is about as boring as it gets. If they ban them, it won't be because they are catching too many fish, it will be because people quit watching the show.

I fish for the fun of it, and fishing with a LS is a lot of fun to me. I've always enjoyed any sort of sight fishing, and while it isn't exactly the same, it's still very interesting to me. It's definitely more effective for me for crappie fishing than for bass; I can see the schools and catch them at times besides the spring now. I don't keep any more fish than I ever did, but now I carry home more crappie instead of bass. I would think most would consider that a good thing.

To show how accomplished I've become with it, I was bass fishing around bait last fall and we kept seeing big stripers swim by the bait I wasted a lot of time trying to catch one and finally hooked one on a BFS reel with 5 lb line. Fought him for about 20 minutes and my partner finally netted him. He weighed 18 pounds, but maybe I am not so good at identifying the species. smile

[Linked Image]

It does seem like the bigger fish I catch on LS are singles or doubles out floating In the middle of the creek most of the time. I'm also not the biggest live scoper there is either I can catch fish with it but I usually get bored after an hour or two and I want to go swim a jig or throw a big swimbait. I think the advancement hlthat has helped fishermen the most is fluorocarbon line. I took a buddy that has ms live bait fishing about a month ago he had mono on his spinning rod I had flouro. I could watch the bass swim up to his bait and not eat it. I could pitch to that fish and he would eat immediately.

Sounds like that fluorocarbon line will help anglers catch more fish and then deplete the resources.

Unsporting! Ban it! Waaaaa! You'll catch all the mama egg fish! We need to go back to nylon and Pikie Darters! Waaaaaa!

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: School Me FFS [Re: Clem] #4109131
03/29/24 09:36 PM
03/29/24 09:36 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Originally Posted by Clem
Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

[Linked Image]

Sounds like that fluorocarbon line will help anglers catch more fish and then deplete the resources.

Unsporting! Ban it! Waaaaa! You'll catch all the mama egg fish! We need to go back to nylon and Pikie Darters! Waaaaaa!

Along with tungsten weights lighter more sensitive rods smoother reels better clothing new baits scents etc it's all technology made to make fishing easier.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4109346
03/30/24 12:50 PM
03/30/24 12:50 PM
Pell City, AL, USA
O
Okalona Offline
3 point
Okalona  Offline
3 point
O
Pell City, AL, USA
Don’t see the comparison lol.
I mean tungsten weights 10 bucks Ok. Fluorocarbon line 30 bucks.
Ffs sonar. 20-30. K. Up to 50k in electronics. Or at least that’s what Randy Blaukat claims some in professional bass spend
Whatever floats your boat though. Really none of my business though

Re: School Me FFS [Re: Okalona] #4109361
03/30/24 01:50 PM
03/30/24 01:50 PM
Sylacauga
CAL Offline
14 point
CAL  Offline
14 point
Sylacauga
Ffs sonar. 20-30. K. Up to 50k in electronics. Or at least that’s what Randy Blaukat claims some in professional bass spend

You can get in FFS for 2k or less

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4109376
03/30/24 02:45 PM
03/30/24 02:45 PM
Pell City, AL, USA
O
Okalona Offline
3 point
Okalona  Offline
3 point
O
Pell City, AL, USA
I guess that’s a decent return in investment if you’re a 20 something that has one in his boat that has little to no experience in bass fishing out there whipping everyone else in the club tournament
Sure I’ll never drop that kind of coin on one though.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: Okalona] #4109723
03/31/24 10:08 AM
03/31/24 10:08 AM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield

Figured you'd listen to that dumb SOB. I've spent way more on fluorocarbon over the years than I have on ffs

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4109911
03/31/24 07:14 PM
03/31/24 07:14 PM
Pell City, AL, USA
O
Okalona Offline
3 point
Okalona  Offline
3 point
O
Pell City, AL, USA
So is Gerald Swindle also a dumb sob also?

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4109926
03/31/24 07:54 PM
03/31/24 07:54 PM
Pell City, AL, USA
O
Okalona Offline
3 point
Okalona  Offline
3 point
O
Pell City, AL, USA
But like I said before I couldn’t care less about how your rig is set up Just makes good discussion material. I don’t tournament fish and if I did I would probably have a pretty strong opinion on the technology we’re discussing if it gives some an unfair advantage over others.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: Okalona] #4110013
03/31/24 11:18 PM
03/31/24 11:18 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
So is Gerald Swindle also a dumb sob also?

He uses ffs?

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4110038
04/01/24 06:10 AM
04/01/24 06:10 AM
Crenshaw
C
CrappieMan Offline
8 point
CrappieMan  Offline
8 point
C
Crenshaw
The people I know that complain about it all have wives that won't let them purchase it! Also I hear people complaining about it hurting crappie populations but these same people are out spider rigging during the spawn.

Re: School Me FFS [Re: BamaBoHunter] #4110180
04/01/24 11:52 AM
04/01/24 11:52 AM
North Baldwin County, Al
TensawRiver Online content
8 point
TensawRiver  Online Content
8 point
North Baldwin County, Al
It's a great tool that's for sure, I'm fortunate to be able to own it. I'm single, I keep my bills paid, so I splurged a year ago and bought it. What I've learned since I've had it, is some I catch, some I don't. It has helped me get on fish; a lot quicker than without it. I say that but, I already was pretty quick by using side scan. I would ease along and find structure, and when I see all the little white dots in the structure, I'd mark it, chuck out a buoy and fish catching some. Now, I still pretty much to the same, except I can now be more precise with my bait and catch a few more than what I was and a few bigger ones too. I can now see them big uns laying up in that thicket and ease my bait on in there to him, if I don't get hung up, lol! I've also just got pissed off at them too, lol!

I don't bass fish and frankly despise all those tournaments whether it's bass, bream or crappie. I don't have any competitive nature about me at all. Too much fussing, too much pride, too much worship, too much of driving the cost up on fishing in general. It wouldn't bother me if they out lawed all of them.

Like Preacher said, I don't keep any more than I always did before FFS. I'm just an ol country boy that likes to hunt, fish, ride the dirt roads and eat a little of the bounty I was blessed with.

Is it an unfair advantage? in my opinion no. Everyone has the same opportunity to buy one or not. The ones that say not everyone can afford to have it, well then let's quit telling all the ones that say they are oppressed by the white man and don't have the same opportunity, that they do. All you got do is apply yourself, work for it, pray about it, do what it takes to get you one.

Romans 8:1-2
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, for the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of Sin and Death"
Re: School Me FFS [Re: TensawRiver] #4110233
04/01/24 01:30 PM
04/01/24 01:30 PM
Crenshaw
C
CrappieMan Offline
8 point
CrappieMan  Offline
8 point
C
Crenshaw
Originally Posted by TensawRiver
It's a great tool that's for sure, I'm fortunate to be able to own it. I'm single, I keep my bills paid, so I splurged a year ago and bought it. What I've learned since I've had it, is some I catch, some I don't. It has helped me get on fish; a lot quicker than without it. I say that but, I already was pretty quick by using side scan. I would ease along and find structure, and when I see all the little white dots in the structure, I'd mark it, chuck out a buoy and fish catching some. Now, I still pretty much to the same, except I can now be more precise with my bait and catch a few more than what I was and a few bigger ones too. I can now see them big uns laying up in that thicket and ease my bait on in there to him, if I don't get hung up, lol! I've also just got pissed off at them too, lol!

I don't bass fish and frankly despise all those tournaments whether it's bass, bream or crappie. I don't have any competitive nature about me at all. Too much fussing, too much pride, too much worship, too much of driving the cost up on fishing in general. It wouldn't bother me if they out lawed all of them.

Like Preacher said, I don't keep any more than I always did before FFS. I'm just an ol country boy that likes to hunt, fish, ride the dirt roads and eat a little of the bounty I was blessed with.

Is it an unfair advantage? in my opinion no. Everyone has the same opportunity to buy one or not. The ones that say not everyone can afford to have it, well then let's quit telling all the ones that say they are oppressed by the white man and don't have the same opportunity, that they do. All you got do is apply yourself, work for it, pray about it, do what it takes to get you one.

Yep

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.