</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (mauvilla, skymech, hoggin, Jdkprp70, CCC, FreeStateHunter, chill, BamaGuitarDude, Jstocks, jprice, GHTiger10, Narrow Gap, Mansfield, Skullworks, riflenut, deadeye48, BentBarrel, mw2015, Bruno, BigA47, WDE, Stacey, bigfoot15, Mbrock, Squeaky, BCLC, Geezer, BOFF, Big Al, imslower, Young20, Jweeks, walt4dun, Frankie, 202P&Y, CTMS, canichols424, Dragfan66, Turkeyneck78, Ruger7mag, JLMiller, BamaBoHunter, AUjerbear, 300gr, Jotjackson, limabean, MikeP, Chaser357, Kelly_123, ridgestalker, Hornhntr, Zzzfog, WINMAG300, hamma, jarcher38, Cactus_buck, mcninja, Crawfish, bamaeyedoc, Woody1, klay, aucountry, AuGrayghost, longshot, Standbanger, Hotrod20, Chancetribe, alhawk, scrubbuck, canine933, JustHunt, GomerPyle, 3006bullet, Overland, ALMODUX, rickyh_2, Etyson, mossyback, 8 invisible), 859 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: Lockjaw] #4087268
02/20/24 01:00 AM
02/20/24 01:00 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
In Skagway rent a jeep from Green Jeep Rentals and drive on your own and site see. Line that up before you head up there. They book up pretty fast. I was surprised at how reasonable it was, even the gas to fill it back up when you turn it in. There is only one station and they have to get the gas by ship so I was expecting $10/gal gas but it was only about a buck more a gallon that we pay. Someone commented that it was cheaper than gas in California. We went way into the Yukon (Passports required) and saw wildlife and still got back to Skagway in time to ride around it, go eat Halibut at a restaurant there, and hit some stores. It was me, my son, brother and sister in law. The rest took a train ride into the Yukon and spent way more money and didn't see nearly the sights. My son still likes the picture of him, as a little boy, getting his picture holding the street sign for Ragged Ass Road outside of Skagway. He couldn't wait to show the picture to my wife because he figured he would get in trouble if he told her what road we were on. We went to a historic cemetery where a lot of people are buried that died during some calamity, avalanche during a Gold Rush I beleive. I just remember this was where my bug spray came in use. AK mosquitoes are everything that they are advertised to be.

Juneau is where some took a whale watching trip and enjoyed it. I saw all I needed to see from the deck of the ship. Tons of Orcas and a few Humpbacks. Take binos and spend time on deck. Unlike a Caribbean cruise, in Alaska there are not many times when there is not scenery to look at, and even then you can spot whales. My brother took a small plane and went on a day trip fly fishing out of Juneau. I tried to talk him into us going out Halibut fishing but he had done that on a previous trip to AK so he wanted to fly fish. I didn't want to spend that much money. He now says he should have listened to me. The couple of little trout he caught cost way too much money. When he went Halibut fishing, albeit not from a cruise, we all ate Halibut, which is one of my favorite fish, for a long time.

Make sure to get up and get a spot on deck when the ship goes up the fjord to the glacier. That was really cool. I can't tell you how many otters I watched that morning. The deck guys come around serving hot chocolate and will fix it special upon request. Hot Chocolate and Brandy make a fine combo.

In Juneau my wife, daughter and I weren't into Whale watching so we just walked around downtown and looked in the shops. That was fun. The Red Dog Saloon is popular but we didn't go in. There is a huge tent set up not far from the dock where you pay $20 (a few years back) and get all you can eat crab legs. I can't eat shellfish so I just watched the people coming out from there looking like they were about to puke. My daughter was taking French in high school so the booth making Crepes was a hit with her.

We loved Victoria. Very clean city. We took a double decker bus ride around the city and saw places we wanted to go back to. We walked around the water and then some went to a museum and the rest of us went to an aquarium and Chinatown. Some others of our group went to some Gardens. I'd skip the gardens unless flowers and butterflies are your thing.

In Seattle, Pike's Place Market is OK, but not the greatest thing in the world. Walking along the water is alright as is the aquarium. Most of the fun of Seattle was just watching the freakshow. We didn't do the Space needle as I have friends up there that said it is a huge tourist trap.

Be prepared to see tons of Asians on the ship wearing masks. We went in about 2014 or so and that was a thing long before Covid. The ship makes you believe that you will be underdressed if you don't wear a coat and tie to supper but most men just wore Khakis and a nice shirt. Some fools on there wore a Tuxedo. Don't overdress unless that makes you comfortable. I promise after that cruise you won't want to do a Caribbean cruise again, if you ever have. No comparison. If you are going to do a cruise in this part of the world, that is the one to do.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: Lockjaw] #4087285
02/20/24 06:41 AM
02/20/24 06:41 AM
Jasper, AL
K
kpswihart Offline
4 point
kpswihart  Offline
4 point
K
Jasper, AL
Originally Posted by Lockjaw
We go to Juneau first, then Skagway, go thru glacier bay on thw way back to Ketchikan, then to Victoria and back to Seattle.

You'll see plenty of whales and brown bear when you hit Icy Strait, and I'd imagine more than a few on your way there. Juneau is a cool town, but pretty commercialized in the downtown area. The Mount Roberts tram will give you some awesome views, if you're into the tram thing. Skagway should be interesting, lots of history there. It's small and at the end of a long canal.

If you are going to hit Hoonah (Icy Strait Point), just outside of Glacier Bay, look up Wooshkeetaan Tours. Bill Mills, the owner, is a solid guy and will absolutely put you on bears and whales.

Last edited by kpswihart; 02/20/24 06:43 AM.
Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: Lockjaw] #4087401
02/20/24 11:17 AM
02/20/24 11:17 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline OP
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline OP
14 point
L
Chelsea
I like the Jeep tour suggestion. I think I can get my parents to go on that.

Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: Lockjaw] #4087405
02/20/24 11:31 AM
02/20/24 11:31 AM
Port St Joe, FL
Moose24 Offline
10 point
Moose24  Offline
10 point
Port St Joe, FL
We are going in early July. We have some excursions planned like a train ride and dog sledding. We end in Anchorage(actually Whittier) and are staying a few days before flying out. Trying to decide what to do around Anchorage. Is Denali a good idea? It's about 4 hours north. We may do a float plane out of Kenai(this was highly recommended.

The Things You Remember in Life aren't Things at all.
Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: Lockjaw] #4087427
02/20/24 12:09 PM
02/20/24 12:09 PM
Hartselle, AL
trlrdrdave Offline
14 point
trlrdrdave  Offline
14 point
Hartselle, AL
I don't remember which port it was but a good friend talked for months about the GP large tent that was set up 100 yds from where the ship docked. All you can eat King Crab as well as other Alaskan seafood buffet for $35.It sure made me want to do that as a bucket list item. From his pictures it sure looked good. Even if the dining area was that tent and picnic tables.

"In time of war, send me all the Alabamians you can get, but in time of peace, for Lord's sake, send them to somebody else." General Edward H. Plummer

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight." Jeff Cooper
Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: Lockjaw] #4087488
02/20/24 02:17 PM
02/20/24 02:17 PM
Tuscaloosa
huntdeer13 Offline
spike
huntdeer13  Offline
spike
Tuscaloosa
I have been on 2 Alaska cruises and I have been to all 3 of your ports. They are all great in their own ways.

Juneau - Make sure you see Mendenhall Glacier. We did a canoe trip to it, it was a good paddle but worth the trip. It is unbelievable how big the glaciers are. Plenty of good food and shops around the port.

Skagway - This has been my favorite port of all. It is a small town and easy to navigate. I recommend the train ride, it takes you to the top of the mountain and the views are spectacular. It is an unforgettable experience. Do not leave Skagway without a Halibut sandwich from the restaurant at the dock (Skagway fish company i think).

Ketchikan - I enjoyed the Deadliest Catch tour. They take you out on a boat from the TV show and show you how they crab fish. Very good eagle watching and great story tellers.

Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: jameyr] #4087505
02/20/24 03:18 PM
02/20/24 03:18 PM
Madison County
4Tigers Offline
4 point
4Tigers  Offline
4 point
Madison County
Originally Posted by jameyr
We did a float plane trip out of Ketchikan with a company called Island Wings. Pilot (Michelle) was awesome. We flew over Misty Fjords and landed in a remote lake with huge bear tracks in the snow. Highly recommend!

We also did the short rail trip in Skagway and whale watching in a small boat in Juneau. Enjoyed those also.

We were on Holland America and I’d repeat that trip in a heartbeat.

We did the float plane to a mountain lake as well, but with another company. Would do that again in a heartbeat.

Skip the UTV ride.

Bring binoculars.

Try the local salmon.

Re: Alaska cruise questions [Re: huntdeer13] #4087671
02/20/24 08:39 PM
02/20/24 08:39 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by huntdeer13

Skagway - This has been my favorite port of all. It is a small town and easy to navigate. I recommend the train ride, it takes you to the top of the mountain and the views are spectacular. It is an unforgettable experience. Do not leave Skagway without a Halibut sandwich from the restaurant at the dock (Skagway fish company i think).

Next time rent the jeep and go to the top of the mountain and a lot of other places on your schedule. We went a lot deeper into the Yukon than the train goes. It was cheaper than the train too. BTW, the rental Co. (Green Jeep Rentals, nothing to do with the environment, just the color the jeeps are painted), has them stocked with snacks and a cooler of water and sodas of your choosing. Show up, sign the papers, get the keys and go.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.