</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (CrappieMan, globe, hunterturf, bug54, Gobble4me757, !shiloh!, BradB, TwoRs, JA, Rooster600, AlabamaPhi, Chipnalong, Dean, Showout, treemydog, Irishguy, cbs, roll_tide_hunts, BOFF, goodman_hunter, CKyleC, Dixiepatriot, outdoorguy88, Bread, AustinC, Southal, sj22, Joe4majors, coachg34, bowkl, BCLC, 7x57_Mauser, specialk, ALMODUX, CCC, Paint Rock 00, RidgeRanger, BrentsFX4, BamaGuitarDude, deepwoods44, Chaser357, twaldrop4, UA Hunter, jaredhunts, bamaeyedoc, Davyalabama, FreeStateHunter, tucker07, doc bar, BCD, mjs14, Jweeks, Tree Hanger, jdfarm23, Morris, trlrdrdave, Bmyers142, hallb, aucountry, kaferhaus, Hotrod20, Herbie, BPI, 380jeff, OutdoorsAL, Standbanger, lpman, cuztoshaw, Ben2, rutwad, HHSyelper, Cynical, crenshawco, deerman24, Whitetaillane, BobK, cullbuck, Moose24, Corn Dog, Jmfire722, graydw1, sportrep, Rolloverdave, stuball, Jdkprp70, misfire, Captain Howdy, sawdust, XVIII, Big AL 76, Hunting-231, JustHunt, deadeye48, GATA87, jprice, coldtrail, dirtwrk, Bronco 74, Buck1976, Jerstwrt, jchurch, Overland, seminole1, SouthBamaSlayer, mossyback, Fattyfireplug, msims767, rickyh_2, lectrode, BigA47, 11 invisible), 918 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: jawbone] #4061820
01/15/24 03:35 PM
01/15/24 03:35 PM
Tuscaloosa
Booger Offline
Picker
Booger  Offline
Picker
Tuscaloosa
Originally Posted by jawbone
Originally Posted by Lonster

Lots of laws are just plain common sense. The problem is that many either lack common sense or just don’t use it.

About the most true statement ever on Aldeer.

I think about the best way to handle the tree stand left behind is to leave a note on the tree that if they want the stand back to contact the GW. Then let the GW know you have it. Since I imagine their evidence locker is not convenient to most GWs and stands are big and bulky, they will likely be fine with you holding it. I doubt the poacher is going to call to get it back.

What tree stand? 😁

GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: jawbone] #4061840
01/15/24 04:04 PM
01/15/24 04:04 PM
Alabama
R
Rmart30 Offline
10 point
Rmart30  Offline
10 point
R
Alabama

Lots of laws are just plain common sense. The problem is that many either lack common sense or just don’t use it.

About the most true statement ever on Aldeer.

I think about the best way to handle the tree stand left behind is to leave a note on the tree that if they want the stand back to contact the GW. Then let the GW know you have it. Since I imagine their evidence locker is not convenient to most GWs and stands are big and bulky, they will likely be fine with you holding it. I doubt the poacher is going to call to get it back.

We always notify warden and sheriff dept when we find poachers property on us. No one has ever reported it and asked for it back.
We would have left these if we had found them and let the warden catch him if he had not seen us and ran. We knew then hed probably never hunt it again and come pull it out.
We found one 2 yrs ago behind a guys house on us.
Warden came out to set up cell cam on it and the guy was sitting in the blind.
He was convicted.

Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching - even when doing the wrong thing is legal. Aldo Leopold .. (except when it comes to trailer tags)
Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: jawbone] #4061888
01/15/24 04:54 PM
01/15/24 04:54 PM
Somewhere between Jennings and...
H
Huntn2feed5 Offline
8 point
Huntn2feed5  Offline
8 point
H
Originally Posted by oilfld
I didn’t even think about them being stolen. I’ll check with the gw and sheriff to see if any have been reported.

Good move. Keep in mind that there are crimes in Alabama for Possession of Lost Property and for Receiving Stolen Property. On the Receiving charge not knowing it is stolen is not a defense by statute but often it is considered by LE and the prosecution.

Other than a police report what data base would stolen/lost binoculars go in? I don’t know one LE officer that would even ask.. They were lost on his property by a poacher. I definitely would not post them on Facebook, every swinging D from 30 miles would be claiming them..I agree with hanging a camera he will be back.

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: Lonster] #4061896
01/15/24 04:58 PM
01/15/24 04:58 PM
H
Huntn2feed5 Offline
8 point
Huntn2feed5  Offline
8 point
H
Originally Posted by Fattyfireplug
I didn’t even think about them being stolen. I’ll check with the gw and sheriff to see if any have been reported.

Good move. Keep in mind that there are crimes in Alabama for Possession of Lost Property and for Receiving Stolen Property. On the Receiving charge not knowing it is stolen is not a defense by statute but often it is considered by LE and the prosecution.

If he takes them to law enforcement, reports the situation, can they check fingerprints? Will they confiscate them?

Fingerprints? What’s that? I have NEVER had a case where prints were taken from anything. That’s stuff you see on T.V. Here in the real world, in rural Alabama, I’m not sure that the officers are trained to do so or even have the equipment to do it.

And an evidence tech isn’t wasting time on processing stolen binoculars

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: oilfld] #4061905
01/15/24 05:17 PM
01/15/24 05:17 PM
ArmPit of the south
D
DeerNutz0U812_ Offline
Booner
DeerNutz0U812_  Offline
Booner
D
ArmPit of the south
I looked them Leica's up.... shocked would you take 500 for em?... grin

Did you know that Beer Nutz are over a Dollar...and Deer Nutz are under a Buck...

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: Lonster] #4061909
01/15/24 05:18 PM
01/15/24 05:18 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by zwick
Sounds like you are stealing if you take a poachers treestand from your own property? That's pretty messed up.

Well, if you wake up in the morning and there’s a strange vehicle parked in your drive and nobody is around, can you just start driving the vehicle and expect to not be charged?

So you find a treestand on your property. The first thing you know is that it’s NOT YOUR STAND. Contact law enforcement and let them do their job. Don’t take the law into your own hands and create a problem for yourself.

I get it, folks get mad when they discover that someone has been trespassing on their property BUT this doesn’t give them the right to break the law themselves.

I’m a property owner, I’ve dealt with poachers and it’s not fun but it comes with owning property.

That is a pile of bull doo doo.

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: Lonster] #4061915
01/15/24 05:26 PM
01/15/24 05:26 PM
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
leroycnbucks Offline
Freak of Nature
leroycnbucks  Offline
Freak of Nature
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
Sounds like you are stealing if you take a poachers treestand from your own property? That's pretty messed up.

Well, if you wake up in the morning and there’s a strange vehicle parked in your drive and nobody is around, can you just start driving the vehicle and expect to not be charged?

So you find a treestand on your property. The first thing you know is that it’s NOT YOUR STAND. Contact law enforcement and let them do their job. Don’t take the law into your own hands and create a problem for yourself.

I get it, folks get mad when they discover that someone has been trespassing on their property BUT this doesn’t give them the right to break the law themselves.

I’m a property owner, I’ve dealt with poachers and it’s not fun but it comes with owning property.

If the strangers vehicle that was left in my driveway was vandalized and the wheels stolen. Can the stranger hold me liable since he left it on my private property. Or is he SOL?

Proud Army and ALNG veteran
God Bless America!
Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: Lonster] #4061985
01/15/24 06:48 PM
01/15/24 06:48 PM
Alabama
R
RandanAL Offline
3 point
RandanAL  Offline
3 point
R
Alabama
Well, if you wake up in the morning and there’s a strange vehicle parked in your drive and nobody is around, can you just start driving the vehicle and expect to not be charged? Lots of laws are just plain common sense. The problem is that many either lack common sense or just don’t use it. So you find a treestand on your property. The first thing you know is that it’s NOT YOUR STAND. Contact law enforcement and let them do their job. Don’t take the law into your own hands and create a problem for yourself. I get it, folks get mad when they discover that someone has been trespassing on their property BUT this doesn’t give them the right to break the law themselves. I’m a property owner, I’ve dealt with poachers and it’s not fun but it comes with owning property.
Since I'm sure people take treestands down on their land all the time, do you have any examples of case law where someone was prosecuted for taking down a poacher's treestand?

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: Huntn2feed5] #4061996
01/15/24 07:01 PM
01/15/24 07:01 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by Huntn2feed5

Other than a police report what data base would stolen/lost binoculars go in? I don’t know one LE officer that would even ask.. They were lost on his property by a poacher. I definitely would not post them on Facebook, every swinging D from 30 miles would be claiming them..I agree with hanging a camera he will be back.

If the property would be entered into NCIC (National Crime Information Center), the national database if there is a serial number that it could be entered by. If any LEO anywhere in the US runs that serial number it will come back as a hit.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: oilfld] #4062147
01/15/24 09:16 PM
01/15/24 09:16 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Follow up on the Theft of Lost Property statute....I like learning new stuff so I appreciate the knowledgeable replies so far 👍🏻

Per 13A-8-6
"A person commits the crime of theft of lost property if he actively obtains or exerts control over the property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid, or to have been delivered under a mistake as to the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or the amount of the property, and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of it, he fails to take reasonable measures to discover and notify the owner."

Is there a list of "approved" or court tested reasonable measures to discover and notify the owner and/or duration of such process, for items found on your owned real property...not found somewhere else like that bracelet.
Sign on your property?
Classified legal ad?
Call friends or people who you knew have been on your property?

I ask because it's good to be educated. I know there is a process for abandoned titled vehicles. Any similar process for personal property?

Last edited by straycat; 01/15/24 09:18 PM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: straycat] #4062166
01/15/24 09:35 PM
01/15/24 09:35 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by straycat
Follow up on the Theft of Lost Property statute....I like learning new stuff so I appreciate the knowledgeable replies so far 👍🏻

Per 13A-8-6
"A person commits the crime of theft of lost property if he actively obtains or exerts control over the property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid, or to have been delivered under a mistake as to the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or the amount of the property, and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of it, he fails to take reasonable measures to discover and notify the owner."

Is there a list of "approved" or court tested reasonable measures to discover and notify the owner and/or duration of such process, for items found on your owned real property...not found somewhere else like that bracelet.
Sign on your property?
Classified legal ad?
Call friends or people who you knew have been on your property?

I ask because it's good to be educated. I know there is a process for abandoned titled vehicles. Any similar process for personal property?

You will have to go to a legal library and learn how to research Case Law for that answer. I imagine there are about as many decisions as there have been cases prosecuted since the term "reasonable" comes up in legal phrasing all the time and yet it is still a subjective term.

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: oilfld] #4062175
01/15/24 09:46 PM
01/15/24 09:46 PM
NOALA
RidgeRanger Online happy
8 point
RidgeRanger  Online Happy
8 point
NOALA
LE likely doesn't care if the poacher gets his property back and the poacher likely isn't going to file a claim saying you took them since he was trespassing/poaching on your property. The guy may well come back looking for them though. If you're really worried about it, get a deputy out and file a report that you found them abandoned on your land. I personally wouldn't call a game warden unless I knew the guy because you have some recourse if the deputy wants to take the property back with him. If that happened and the owner didn't claim them in a reasonable time, you could go to the sheriff (elected) and probably get them back. Make sure you get a copy of the incident report. Ask that the model and serial number of the unit be listed in the report. A receipt would be even better.

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: oilfld] #4062203
01/15/24 10:19 PM
01/15/24 10:19 PM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Online content
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Online Content
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
If you can afford a 3k set of binos, looks like u could afford a place to hunt. Leaning toward stolen. Maybe find out who it was that way.

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Re: POACHERS left behind some gear [Re: RidgeRanger] #4062232
01/15/24 11:01 PM
01/15/24 11:01 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by RidgeRanger
LE likely doesn't care if the poacher gets his property back and the poacher likely isn't going to file a claim saying you took them since he was trespassing/poaching on your property. The guy may well come back looking for them though. If you're really worried about it, get a deputy out and file a report that you found them abandoned on your land. I personally wouldn't call a game warden unless I knew the guy because you have some recourse if the deputy wants to take the property back with him. If that happened and the owner didn't claim them in a reasonable time, you could go to the sheriff (elected) and probably get them back. Make sure you get a copy of the incident report. Ask that the model and serial number of the unit be listed in the report. A receipt would be even better.

If the SO confiscates them then they will be auctioned off if not claimed. I don't know of any law that allows them to be given back to the finder. Like I said earlier, a GW is the least likely to take them in as evidence and he would be more interested in looking into who the poacher is, but what do I know?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.