</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Velvet
by Mbrock. 04/28/24 09:16 PM
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (coosabuckhunter, Exhoosier, Gobble4me757, riflenut, Narrow Gap, Tree Dweller, CreekCrosser, KnightRyder, DoeNut, roll_tide_hunts, Tupi, BC, Woody1, billrv, 3Gs, Jweeks, CAL, Crawfish, Gut Pile 32, 1 invisible), 844 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Deer Restocking and the Influence of #4057851
01/10/24 08:37 PM
01/10/24 08:37 PM
Scottsboro, Al
J
jbatey1 Offline OP
Lucky Bastage
jbatey1  Offline OP
Lucky Bastage
J
Scottsboro, Al
I know the breeding season, for the most part, happens the same time as it does every year, within a day or two of a few days anyways- and they are hardwired. And that we have an elongated season for that, on a bell curve.

My question is : With the restocking of the state deer population years ago, do those deer in those areas go into Estrous the same time frames as the area where they originally came from and deer are currently at? If they are genetically hardwire to do so, why wouldnt they? Or is it continually diluted year after year and changed over time? If that’s the case, is it possible for the peak breeding season to happen within the same 48 hours “as last year” but possible that over a long period of time that the range for breeding season could eventually move? I’m talking semi long- very long time frames.

Or has it diluted enough that, now, it is what it is and there isn’t great genetic influence other than the current genetic influence in that given area?

The fool tells me his reasons; the wise man persuades me with my own.
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4057875
01/10/24 08:49 PM
01/10/24 08:49 PM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
Waiting on CNC to chime in with his dissertation...
[Linked Image]

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4057889
01/10/24 08:53 PM
01/10/24 08:53 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
The deer on Bankhead bred in November for 70 years and still do, but it’s been influenced by the restocking of deer from south AL 40 years ago. Peak breeding there is still in November, but we would get December to January bred does on our studies occasionally. Seems to still be two distinct estrous cycles, which is tough, because many of those bucks are dropping antlers after Christmas.

There’s a diluted mess in AL with multiple sticking sources and a hodgepodge of breeding dates, but in “most” areas the breeding is fairly consistent year to year and has been for a very long time.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: AU338MAG] #4057910
01/10/24 09:17 PM
01/10/24 09:17 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Waiting on CNC to chime in with his dissertation...
[Linked Image]

I've already given my opinion on it in pretty extensive detail.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4057944
01/10/24 09:43 PM
01/10/24 09:43 PM
Montgomery, AL
F
Forrestgump1 Offline
10 point
Forrestgump1  Offline
10 point
F
Montgomery, AL
I’m trying to figure out where everyone is coming up with the thought process that things became “diluted”, or how does that work?

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: Forrestgump1] #4058004
01/10/24 10:36 PM
01/10/24 10:36 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Originally Posted by Forrestgump1
I’m trying to figure out where everyone is coming up with the thought process that things became “diluted”, or how does that work?

Nothing is really diluted. Most of AL was either restocked with AL deer (mostly Sumter, Marengo and Clarke counties) OR sources from several other states, some of which include Wisconsin, Michigan and several other sources with very small numbers. The majority of restocking took place on a very small scale, with single or double digit releases. Those populations were likely, supported by the evidence, overcome by natural expansion of our own native deer. After all, released deer don’t usually stay where they are released. They move, and in some cases over one hundred miles. The Bankhead population remained geographically isolated for so long, that the natural expansion of native southern deer did not reach them until much more recently. There were also 101 of those deer released initially in 1925 and 1926, resulting in a population that has retained the genetic similarities of their stocking source for 98 years. I don’t know how long that will last, but there’s been a tremendous increase in deer populations around Bankhead over the last 30 years, mostly from natural expansion of native deer. Right now, in 2024, most of the state has native deer that originated from populations in AL, with few exceptions. Lauderdale Co, Lawrence and Winston counties, Tuscaloosa, Bibb and Hale counties, the area around Chocolocco, and Russell county have some influences from other sources with earlier breeding dates. Other than that, most deer in AL are from AL. It’ll be interesting to see if these populations come closer to an AL average conception, or have two distinct conception periods, which is what they seem to have now. Even on Bankhead, there’s not a mixing of breeding dates. There’s deer that come into estrous in November and early December, and others later. If the two were influencing one another, it would make sense that the earlier breeders would start coming into estrous later and the later does coming into estrous earlier, but that’s not the case.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4058154
01/11/24 08:19 AM
01/11/24 08:19 AM
USA
M
marshmud991 Offline
14 point
marshmud991  Offline
14 point
M
USA
Thanks for that explanation Matt. Alabama’s rut schedules are not near as complicated as Louisiana’s is. We have 10 different zones that all have to do with the timing of the rut. If you’re planning to hunt an area here, you better study the season dates and map to make sure the season is open in the area. We range from late September/early October to February.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chews your a$$ all day long.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4058718
01/11/24 05:59 PM
01/11/24 05:59 PM
Chambers Cnty./Ft. Morgan Ala.
B
Buckwheat Offline
8 point
Buckwheat  Offline
8 point
B
Chambers Cnty./Ft. Morgan Ala.
Throw a Whamo in th' Mix--------Mr. Stimpson from Southwest Alabama built a Compound for Deer....Brought in from Michigan. HE gave MANY to th' state for Re-Stocking.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: Buckwheat] #4058728
01/11/24 06:11 PM
01/11/24 06:11 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Throw a Whamo in th' Mix--------Mr. Stimpson from Southwest Alabama built a Compound for Deer....Brought in from Michigan. HE gave MANY to th' state for Re-Stocking.

My guess would be that those Michigan restockings in southwest Alabama all died out probably due to not acclimating well to the environment in some form or fashion..... None of the sampling shows estrous outliers for those areas

We dont rent pigs
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: CNC] #4058738
01/11/24 06:39 PM
01/11/24 06:39 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by Buckwheat

My guess would be that those Michigan restockings in southwest Alabama all died out probably due to not acclimating well to the environment in some form or fashion..... None of the sampling shows estrous outliers for those areas

Sure don’t. Stimpson deer breed late.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4058757
01/11/24 07:04 PM
01/11/24 07:04 PM
Boaz,AL
CarbonClimber1 Offline
14 point
CarbonClimber1  Offline
14 point
Boaz,AL
Marshall county sucks..thats all i have to say😐

"I dont quit.. And ill fight alone if i have to"
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4058942
01/11/24 10:48 PM
01/11/24 10:48 PM
NW Florida
F
fireman176 Offline
8 point
fireman176  Offline
8 point
F
NW Florida
Does the State just use the Insurance Companies DATA collected on the increase in vehicle vs deer killed to set the peak rut?

Is it Hunting Season Yet?
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: fireman176] #4058955
01/11/24 10:57 PM
01/11/24 10:57 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Originally Posted by fireman176
Does the State just use the Insurance Companies DATA collected on the increase in vehicle vs deer killed to set the peak rut?

Actually no. The data is actual fetuses collected from does while pregnant.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: fireman176] #4059553
01/12/24 04:02 PM
01/12/24 04:02 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by fireman176

They use that data to determine if we're shooting enough does or not.... wink

We dont rent pigs
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: Mbrock] #4068098
01/22/24 06:05 PM
01/22/24 06:05 PM
Lawrence County
S
SpentShaft Offline
4 point
SpentShaft  Offline
4 point
S
Lawrence County
Originally Posted by Mbrock

Nothing is really diluted. Most of AL was either restocked with AL deer (mostly Sumter, Marengo and Clarke counties) OR sources from several other states, some of which include Wisconsin, Michigan and several other sources with very small numbers. The majority of restocking took place on a very small scale, with single or double digit releases. Those populations were likely, supported by the evidence, overcome by natural expansion of our own native deer. After all, released deer don’t usually stay where they are released. They move, and in some cases over one hundred miles. The Bankhead population remained geographically isolated for so long, that the natural expansion of native southern deer did not reach them until much more recently. There were also 101 of those deer released initially in 1925 and 1926, resulting in a population that has retained the genetic similarities of their stocking source for 98 years. I don’t know how long that will last, but there’s been a tremendous increase in deer populations around Bankhead over the last 30 years, mostly from natural expansion of native deer. Right now, in 2024, most of the state has native deer that originated from populations in AL, with few exceptions. Lauderdale Co, Lawrence and Winston counties, Tuscaloosa, Bibb and Hale counties, the area around Chocolocco, and Russell county have some influences from other sources with earlier breeding dates. Other than that, most deer in AL are from AL. It’ll be interesting to see if these populations come closer to an AL average conception, or have two distinct conception periods, which is what they seem to have now. Even on Bankhead, there’s not a mixing of breeding dates. There’s deer that come into estrous in November and early December, and others later. If the two were influencing one another, it would make sense that the earlier breeders would start coming into estrous later and the later does coming into estrous earlier, but that’s not the case.

Since this has been brought up, I've had an interest in this subject for quite sometime(specifically in Bankhead) and I was hoping you could clarify a few things for me?

1. Were you the biologist over Black Warrior when the the breeding date study was done?
2. How and where were the does/fetuses collected?
3. Did the study have any direct or indirect effects on the rules, seasons and bag limits shortly after the study? If so how?

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: SpentShaft] #4068113
01/22/24 06:22 PM
01/22/24 06:22 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Originally Posted by SpentShaft
Originally Posted by Mbrock

Since this has been brought up, I've had an interest in this subject for quite sometime(specifically in Bankhead) and I was hoping you could clarify a few things for me?

1. Were you the biologist over Black Warrior when the the breeding date study was done?
2. How and where were the does/fetuses collected?
3. Did the study have any direct or indirect effects on the rules, seasons and bag limits shortly after the study? If so how?

Yes I was there several years and collected data each year. It matched the data collected from previous years. We collected over the entire Black Warrior WMA, as well as adjoining private properties, with permission, between Mid February to late March. We proposed an earlier rifle opener, which was granted, cut back on does days, which was granted, and the seasons were also restructured for the general USFS lands and private lands with earlier breeding dates.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: Mbrock] #4068162
01/22/24 07:36 PM
01/22/24 07:36 PM
Lawrence County
S
SpentShaft Offline
4 point
SpentShaft  Offline
4 point
S
Lawrence County
So yall harvested the deer yourselves, interesting.
What was the sample size do you remember?
Also what is the procedure for aging a fetus? What I mean is; what features or indicators do biologist look for too get age and how accurately can it be done?

Is this type of study documentation availiable to the public?

I know my questions may seem odd but I've personally seen chasing out there from Oct. all the way into Jan...It has always intrigued me how the genetics haven't been diluted more over the past 100 years....However It does seem like I've noticed the peak rut activity creeping to a later period over the past 10 years or so but maybe that's just hunter or observation bias as biologist like to call it...idk. What's your thoughts on that?

Last edited by SpentShaft; 01/22/24 07:50 PM.

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: SpentShaft] #4068220
01/22/24 08:36 PM
01/22/24 08:36 PM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you
Originally Posted by SpentShaft
So yall harvested the deer yourselves, interesting.
What was the sample size do you remember?
Also what is the procedure for aging a fetus? What I mean is; what features or indicators do biologist look for too get age and how accurately can it be done?

Is this type of study documentation availiable to the public?

I know my questions may seem odd but I've personally seen chasing out there from Oct. all the way into Jan...It has always intrigued me how the genetics haven't been diluted more over the past 100 years....However It does seem like I've noticed the peak rut activity creeping to a later period over the past 10 years or so but maybe that's just hunter or observation bias as biologist like to call it...idk. What's your thoughts on that?

Yes agency employees took the deer. The sample sizes varied year to year, but a good representative sample would be 5-10 individuals of breeding age. Once the baseline data is established (several years of an adequate sample size) the areas would only be checked every other or every few years. Heck they may not be doing it now at all. I don’t know. The fetuses are measured on a fetal ruler and it’s very accurate, to within a few hours of conception. It’s more accurate at younger ages, but it’s best to be past 45 days after conception. I always preferred 45-70 days. Once the fetuses start to get larger their development can vary more, especially from singles to triplets. I’m sure some of the data could be requested. The results of the data are available on the rut map. And yes there is an occasional doe we would collect that was bred in late December. I think that is the influence of native genetics.

Re: Deer Restocking and the Influence of [Re: jbatey1] #4068231
01/22/24 08:43 PM
01/22/24 08:43 PM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
Matt , has there ever been any work done on size of the fetuses at a given day in gestation as far as single , twins and trips? Also age and size of doe carrying them? Basically the health of fetuses .

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.