</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB: Low miles First Gen Toyota Tacoma
by Buck-bomb. 05/05/24 07:31 PM
Need a used car
by bamaeyedoc. 05/05/24 04:21 PM
Marucci Cat9 school bat 31/28 bbcor $90
by toyota05. 05/05/24 04:17 PM
Floor blower
by AU7MM08. 05/05/24 02:35 PM
SVT Raptor
by 700ltr308. 05/05/24 08:37 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Meat hunt outfitter?
by TDog93. 05/05/24 08:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by low wall. 05/05/24 07:33 PM
Velvet
by Turkey_neck. 05/04/24 09:13 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 05/03/24 05:57 AM
Forever wild gun regs.
by Frankie. 05/01/24 03:42 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (COOTER, Dan4good, OlTimer, Sandmtnslayer, Hoytdad10, oldknight, BPI, DuckDown11, MikeP, turkey247, Narrow Gap, EricS, Moss, Tree Dweller, BCLC, Dead down wind, hamma, BrandonClark, Exhoosier, Gardener, kpswihart, aucivil, ridgestalker, JohnG, Mhkodiak, RCHRR, CKyleC, Forrestgump1, CreekCrosser, coachg34, 2 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Bankheadhunter] #3910241
05/14/23 11:12 AM
05/14/23 11:12 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by Bankheadhunter
If a little of this study BS effort was put into predator control and some habitat management...

Screw a podcast, they need to quit pushing a pen and talking about this and that and get to work in the woods.

Reminds me of a Baptist church or government, wanting to create committees and sub-committees and task forces and blue ribbon panels for research, study, discussion, fundraising and establishing "pathways to identify, implement and remedy the situation."

Or, y'know, do like you said ... start killing more predators, doing better habitat work and get the job done instead of carping about decoys and other insignifcant crap.

Last edited by Clem; 05/14/23 11:12 AM.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Rockhound] #3910269
05/14/23 12:44 PM
05/14/23 12:44 PM
Spanish Fort
J
Jstocks Offline
8 point
Jstocks  Offline
8 point
J
Spanish Fort
Originally Posted by Rockhound
I've never seen more suicidal turkeys than I have this year in tennessee. I like it. Most of the ones griping are the ones who shoot winter flocked birds over a corn pile. Lawrence County has had absolutely stellar hatches the last 3 years. I hope it continues. The delay won't help in areas with even a decent population, it will help in those pockets with a couple male birds, and a dozen hens, where both male birds traditionally get killed the first day of season or juvenile and there isn't another male around for several miles. That's a very real scenario in alot of places.

Rockhound,

It seems your assessment is what I am hearing from the other guys I know that live up there. Whether it’s luck or coincidence, they believe the changes have been positive. These folks hunt in the 3 county area that was pushed back first.

I don’t personally agree on everything they say, but they have killed more turkeys this year than ever. These particular individuals credit the season changes for contributing to the hatch success and number of available birds for hunting.

Whether any of us agree or disagree, the data point these folks are using is they are killing more turkeys. It’s a mixed group of middle aged fellas, from multiple states who own camps or lease property, as well as the local group they hunt with.

Also got a buddy up there today who killed one that was gobbling his head off yesterday and today. This is south central Tn.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Jstocks] #3910270
05/14/23 12:45 PM
05/14/23 12:45 PM
Spanish Fort
J
Jstocks Offline
8 point
Jstocks  Offline
8 point
J
Spanish Fort
And for the record…. I’m not for moving the seasons back.

Response above was just to contribute to the discussion, but not to say I agree with the season date changes.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Jstocks] #3910282
05/14/23 01:56 PM
05/14/23 01:56 PM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie
Originally Posted by Jstocks
I've never seen more suicidal turkeys than I have this year in tennessee. I like it. Most of the ones griping are the ones who shoot winter flocked birds over a corn pile. Lawrence County has had absolutely stellar hatches the last 3 years. I hope it continues. The delay won't help in areas with even a decent population, it will help in those pockets with a couple male birds, and a dozen hens, where both male birds traditionally get killed the first day of season or juvenile and there isn't another male around for several miles. That's a very real scenario in alot of places.

Rockhound,

It seems your assessment is what I am hearing from the other guys I know that live up there. Whether it’s luck or coincidence, they believe the changes have been positive. These folks hunt in the 3 county area that was pushed back first.

I don’t personally agree on everything they say, but they have killed more turkeys this year than ever. These particular individuals credit the season changes for contributing to the hatch success and number of available birds for hunting.

Whether any of us agree or disagree, the data point these folks are using is they are killing more turkeys. It’s a mixed group of middle aged fellas, from multiple states who own camps or lease property, as well as the local group they hunt with.

Also got a buddy up there today who killed one that was gobbling his head off yesterday and today. This is south central Tn.

I'm in the heart of the 3 counties that got pushed back first. Lawrence county has been starving for birds since 2007. Maybe coincidence, maybe not, since the changes we have had hatches 3 years straight, like we haven't had in literally 15 years. I hunted 6 mornings and never hunted past 9am this season and watched 9 gobblers die in those 6 trips, and could easily get on gobbling birds until the end of May of I still had tags, probably the end of June lol. I hunt 3 or 4 different counties, and it's been the same all over.

We've got more turkeys around our farm than we've had in 15 years, and I hope the trend continues.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Rockhound] #3910302
05/14/23 02:51 PM
05/14/23 02:51 PM
AL
Gobble4me757 Offline
12 point
Gobble4me757  Offline
12 point
AL

Rockhound,

I'm in the heart of the 3 counties that got pushed back first. Lawrence county has been starving for birds since 2007. Maybe coincidence, maybe not, since the changes we have had hatches 3 years straight, like we haven't had in literally 15 years. I hunted 6 mornings and never hunted past 9am this season and watched 9 gobblers die in those 6 trips, and could easily get on gobbling birds until the end of May of I still had tags, probably the end of June lol. I hunt 3 or 4 different counties, and it's been the same all over.

We've got more turkeys around our farm than we've had in 15 years, and I hope the trend continues.

This season was the first year of the pushed back two weeks season. Those 3 hatches were not affected by changes other than a decreased bay limit the past two seasons.

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Gobble4me757] #3910303
05/14/23 02:52 PM
05/14/23 02:52 PM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie
Originally Posted by Gobble4me757

Rockhound,

This season was the first year of the pushed back two weeks season. Those 3 hatches were not affected by changes other than a decreased bay limit the past two seasons.

No sir, Lawrence, Wayne, Giles, lincoln and a few counties along the Mississippi River have had delayed seasons for a couple years now...

Last edited by Rockhound; 05/14/23 02:58 PM.
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Zbrann] #3910330
05/14/23 04:12 PM
05/14/23 04:12 PM
Lower AL
K
k bush Offline
12 point
k bush  Offline
12 point
K
Lower AL
That was Dr Craig Harper making mention of a study between several WMA’s where season opener as normal and pushed back two weeks. Made no difference in harvest, nest initiation, hatching or poult survival.

"Cull" is just another four letter word...
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: k bush] #3910389
05/14/23 06:56 PM
05/14/23 06:56 PM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie
Originally Posted by k bush
That was Dr Craig Harper making mention of a study between several WMA’s where season opener as normal and pushed back two weeks. Made no difference in harvest, nest initiation, hatching or poult survival.

Like I said in alot of places where there are a number of turkeys to move back and forth between flocks, I don't much think it will help. But there are alot of places where you will have 1-2 male birds and a handful of hens that end up in a secluded area withoutany other birds for several miles, and most of those get fed and shot the first hour of daylight the first legal day of season or even before season, because idiots don't have enough common sense to stop. A good percentage of those hens will go all season without getting bred with the early start dates. I've watched it happen for the last 15 years on a farm and you can't talk sense into the ones that are killing them. The hens will stay by themselves the rest of the season, never even attempt to initiate a nest it doesn't take long for a glock of 20 to dwindle to nothing when only 2 or 3 attempt to nest because they were the only ones receptive at the opening date.

Like I said, In a good portion of the flocks it doesn't matter because another male will show up, but there are more of those other scenarios in low population areas than folks realize

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Gobble4me757] #3910407
05/14/23 07:42 PM
05/14/23 07:42 PM
Bear Creek, Al
I
ImThere Offline
4 point
ImThere  Offline
4 point
I
Bear Creek, Al
Originally Posted by ImThere
I think the delay will get more hens bred and hopefully have more birds in the future. It will take more than a year to find out. The amount of bird being killed isn’t an issue unless you don’t replace them.

Haha here we go again… where’s the proof? They’ve been doing it in Arkansas for years and no improvement. Turkeys for Tomorrow just had prelim results that show no effects on delayed seasons.

Where is the proof it didn’t help in Tn yet? You got to get hens bred to have poults that’s a fact. Dead gobblers don’t breed.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Rockhound] #3910419
05/14/23 08:19 PM
05/14/23 08:19 PM
TN
R
Ruger7mag Offline
4 point
Ruger7mag  Offline
4 point
R
TN
I've never seen more suicidal turkeys than I have this year in tennessee. I like it.

This is what all of my buddies and me experienced this year in middle TN as well.

Birds aren't done yet either in my area.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: ImThere] #3910473
05/14/23 09:42 PM
05/14/23 09:42 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
I think the delay will get more hens bred and hopefully have more birds in the future. It will take more than a year to find out. The amount of bird being killed isn’t an issue unless you don’t replace them.

Haha here we go again… where’s the proof? They’ve been doing it in Arkansas for years and no improvement. Turkeys for Tomorrow just had prelim results that show no effects on delayed seasons.

Where is the proof it didn’t help in Tn yet? You got to get hens bred to have poults that’s a fact. Dead gobblers don’t breed.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...research-in/id1666903553?i=1000596063468

This is the podcast from Craig Harper in Tenn discussing the results of his study on season frameworks in Tenn and the effects (or lack thereof). The lack of change in poult production or population is the "proof". Yes, dead gobblers don't breed but his live buddies or brothers do. Chamberlains theory that there is only one breeder gobbler is a fallacy and is being disproven with good research as we speak. The fact that there has been NO study showing infertility or low hatchability in any nesting study tells me that there is no lack of "breeder" gobblers. There are also no studies showing hens quit or don't nest because of the lack of gobblers.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: gobbler] #3910517
05/15/23 06:29 AM
05/15/23 06:29 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
Originally Posted by gobbler

This is the podcast from Craig Harper in Tenn discussing the results of his study on season frameworks in Tenn and the effects (or lack thereof). The lack of change in poult production or population is the "proof". Yes, dead gobblers don't breed but his live buddies or brothers do. Chamberlains theory that there is only one breeder gobbler is a fallacy and is being disproven with good research as we speak. The fact that there has been NO study showing infertility or low hatchability in any nesting study tells me that there is no lack of "breeder" gobblers. There are also no studies showing hens quit or don't nest because of the lack of gobblers.
So there is no already complete research and/or anecdotal data that could have served as a logical starting point for Chamberlain’s hypothesis on the dominant/breeder gobbler stuff? Purely hypothetical? Is that consensus amongst biologists OUTSIDE of his immediate circle of influence? If so, I find that absolutely fascinating because it is largely being preached as indisputable, scientific fact.

Last edited by JUGHEAD; 05/15/23 06:33 AM.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: JUGHEAD] #3910524
05/15/23 06:38 AM
05/15/23 06:38 AM
LASW
turkey247 Online content
12 point
turkey247  Online Content
12 point
LASW
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD

So there is no already complete research and/or anecdotal data that could have served as a logical starting point for Chamberlain’s hypothesis on the dominant/breeder gobbler stuff? Purely hypothetical? Is that consensus amongst biologists OUTSIDE of his immediate circle of influence? If so, I find that absolutely fascinating because it is largely being preached as indisputable, scientific fact.

That’s why we’ve known it’s political from the start. This is some weird, woke movement in the outdoor realm. I will agree it is fascinating.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: turkey247] #3910543
05/15/23 07:39 AM
05/15/23 07:39 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted by turkey247

That’s why we’ve known it’s political from the start. This is some weird, woke movement in the outdoor realm. I will agree it is fascinating.

Actually, Chamberlain didn’t come up with it. It had been observed back in 60s or so, but never expanded on.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: gobbler] #3910549
05/15/23 07:58 AM
05/15/23 07:58 AM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie

But just like chickens on a yard, they will lay eggs, and go broody, studies or not, if they aren't fertile they won't hatch.

But, I have indeed watched a flock of hens not even try once the only 2 male birds in the area die opening day.

Last edited by Rockhound; 05/15/23 08:03 AM.
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Zbrann] #3910682
05/15/23 01:40 PM
05/15/23 01:40 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
This just doesn’t seem like something where the answer is black or white….all or nothing………Every area is going to have a ratio of hunter density to turkey population……..As that ratio increases there WILL eventually be a threshold where hunter harvest has an impact even if we have to take it to absurd levels……….The question is really……”Is this or that area exceeding that threshold??.......Are there too few turkey for the amount of hunters present??”……..I’d say the most logical place to look for that happening would be public land……

We dont rent pigs
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Zbrann] #3910827
05/15/23 06:42 PM
05/15/23 06:42 PM
Florence, Al
A
AlabamaSwamper Offline
10 point
AlabamaSwamper  Offline
10 point
A
Florence, Al
Maybe

But so far it hasn’t done anything in Wayne.

Still very very few turkeys County wide. Pockets yes but as many pockets with nothing

BTR Scorer in NW Alabama

Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: N2TRKYS] #3910841
05/15/23 07:13 PM
05/15/23 07:13 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Originally Posted by turkey247

Actually, Chamberlain didn’t come up with it. It had been observed back in 60s or so, but never expanded on.

Where was it observed? Any studies? I’d like to read it

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: AlabamaSwamper] #3910846
05/15/23 07:16 PM
05/15/23 07:16 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by AlabamaSwamper
Maybe

But so far it hasn’t done anything in Wayne.

Still very very few turkeys County wide. Pockets yes but as many pockets with nothing

I guess it would just depend on how high your hunter density and low your turkey population…….Once it reached a certain level it would take a lot more than just delaying the season by a couple weeks to create change. If you have 10 gobblers and a 1000 hunters after them then the season change is a moot point……If you have 50 gobblers and a 1000 hunters its still probably a moot point………But keep increasing that number and at some point you’ll cross that threshold where different outcomes begin to occur.

We dont rent pigs
Re: TN 2 week season delay doesn’t matter? [Re: Rockhound] #3910872
05/15/23 07:52 PM
05/15/23 07:52 PM
Alabama
D
Duck Engr Offline
spike
Duck Engr  Offline
spike
D
Alabama

I wonder if the suicidal turkeys can be contributed to flocks being broken up and hens headed to nest before they’ve been messed with for 2 weeks. My dad got on me for years hunting the turkeys while they’re still in flocks. Said all I was doing was boogering them up for when the hens leave for the nest and “they’re ready to be killed”. As I’ve aged I’ve seen some wisdom in that.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.