</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mission SUB 1 XR Trade or Sale
by AL18. 04/28/24 10:36 AM
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Forever wild gun regs.
by N2TRKYS. 04/28/24 01:25 PM
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
114 registered members (millstoneman, Ben Downs, doc bar, RCHRR, fish251, Thread Killer, Tupi, jchurch, Rebelhunter_21, Red Fox, beetrapper, trlrdrdave, WC82, Jbf, coldtrail, jwalker77, desertdog, seminole1, Bronco 74, mauvilla, rmaples, 000buck, BigA47, Mmiller, low wall, BrentsFX4, 3Gs, Mansfield, Zbrann, leroyb, GomerPyle, Deerslayer33, BCLC, Fattyfireplug, Spec, Crawfish, Coach3, SouthBamaSlayer, Chaser357, chevydude2015, need2hunt, cgardner, jaydub12, 3bailey3, GMR, Ryano, AHolcomb, BayedUp, Marengo hunter, rkt, outdoorguy88, Turkeyneck78, RareBreed, AJones, MikeP, 7x57_Mauser, billrv, MS_Hunter, walt4dun, Leathetbreeaches, Bandit635, k bush, Mdees, eclipse829, donia, 3blades, DoubleShoalsJR, Bulls eye, Bushmaster, YB21, Flatwoods, kaintuck, Paddlejon, Bamajoz, BamaBoHunter, sanderson, doublefistful, mcninja, AU coonhunter, Cynical, Mulcher, UA Hunter, bug54, Birdman83, weatherby, BamaFan64, Frankie, fireman176, goodman_hunter, aucountry, Grizztrick2, jhardy, JLavender, JohnG, MarksOutdoors, !shiloh!, brushwhacker, Xbow, JustHunt, Jus_me, Narrow Gap, sj22, M48scout, Mack1, G/H, 9 invisible), 959 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: Southwood7] #3659955
04/27/22 05:59 PM
04/27/22 05:59 PM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
Originally Posted by Southwood7

If they don’t gobble I don’t have fun and I hunt to have fun.

with all due respect to you (& i mean that sincerely), it really surprises me to hear you say that, given that i know you mostly hunt public land & i always thought public land guys preferred for birds not to gobble much ... the “fun” of turkey hunting (for me) has always been the strategy & woodsmanship it takes to out-smart a bird - if they happen to gobble, it’s just a bonus to the fun it is to chase ‘em & beat ‘em at their game & on their own turf ...

some of my most memorable hunts are the ones where i’ve knocked off a really sly bird, esp when he thinks he’s being all cool & quiet, spitting & drumming, in full strut & the surprised look on his face when it gets filled full of lead 🤣. it’s fun to defeat a bird like that & walk out of the woods with him over the shoulder

i understand gobble addiction - i just don’t suffer from it at all & thought most public land hunters didnt either ... not trying to goad you or pick a fight - was just surprised to see you felt that way

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 04/27/22 06:19 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3659965
04/27/22 06:17 PM
04/27/22 06:17 PM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
This year sounds tough, but I've never experienced "The Alabama birds are tough" situation. They seem to gobble just fine. Much like public land birds anywhere you cant just drive in and whack them from the road (everyday). I do remember having trouble in the lower delta finding birds (without a boat) but where Ive hunted the last few years the burds were more vocal than up here in Missouri (where I hunt).

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3659974
04/27/22 06:25 PM
04/27/22 06:25 PM
In the woods
H
Here4fun Offline
8 point
Here4fun  Offline
8 point
H
In the woods
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

with all due respect to you (& i mean that sincerely), it really surprises me to hear you say that, given that i know you mostly hunt public land & i always thought public land guys preferred for birds not to gobble much ... the “fun” of turkey hunting (for me) has always been the strategy & woodsmanship it takes to out-smart a bird - if they happen to gobble, it’s just a bonus to the fun it is to chase ‘em & beat ‘em at their game & on their own turf ...

some of my most memorable hunts are the ones where i’ve knocked off a really sly bird, esp when he thinks he’s being all cool & quiet, spitting & drumming, in full strut & the surprised look on his face when it gets filled full of lead 🤣. it’s fun to defeat a bird like that & walk out of the woods with him over the shoulder

i understand gobble addiction - i just don’t suffer from it at all

Im the same way. I got birds gobbling today on a new spot and right away some guy was owl hooting and crow calling like crazy at the two.

I hunt pieces that are private but only 220 and 210 acres, or smaller one of 40 acres or 30 acres. I cant walk all over those smaller ones. I go in , set up and blind call if none are gobbling. And the neighbors all around them are owl hooting, crow calling like crazy. There you have to just go it, grab a seat and try to make it work.

On the bigger pieces I will walk every inch of it though. But I still set up and blind call 3 to 4 times a day if i dont get on a gobbling bird.. And the one 220 acre piece has more folks calling from all the boundaries then state land has. These turkeys have been screamed at for weeks. I have to hunt sneaky, paranoid, cautious birds . And though I love hearing a bird gobble it works against me here.

Have to adjust to the situation and hunt accordingly.

Last edited by Here4fun; 04/27/22 06:26 PM.
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3659976
04/27/22 06:30 PM
04/27/22 06:30 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner

i understand gobble addiction - i just don’t suffer from it at all

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll hang in there with a gobbler that doesn’t gobble much, but for me it HAS to start with a gobble. I also agree with you that the fun in turkey hunting is in the strategy and woodsmanship. BUT again, if they don’t gobble at least a little, I don’t care for it 😁

I’ve transitioned to hunting more on private land but still hunt public about half the time.

Last edited by Southwood7; 04/27/22 06:32 PM.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3659978
04/27/22 06:32 PM
04/27/22 06:32 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Online Content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL

I don’t want them to gobble a lot on public land, as much as I like hearing it…..but damn, I need the bastards to at least gobble a couple times to let me know where the hell they are. I’m tired of hunting these mute-ass birds. I don’t have the luxury some folks have where they can pattern their turkeys and hunt them like deer, knowing exactly when and where they’ll be. Besides, there’s zero fun in deer hunting one and bushwhacking it. I don’t need them to gobble a hundred times to have “fun”, but I want it to be an interaction that brings them in, not just luck

Last edited by GomerPyle; 04/27/22 06:36 PM.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3659986
04/27/22 06:41 PM
04/27/22 06:41 PM
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner

And just as a side note on the public public land gobbling discussion. I absolutely want the turkey to gobble on the roost so I can get in position. I might only hear one bird and have to cover a bunch of ground to get to him so I need him to at least gobble a few times along the way so I can make a good set up. Once I’m 100 yards from him and sitting down he can shut up 😁

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: JUGHEAD] #3659995
04/27/22 06:56 PM
04/27/22 06:56 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
Originally Posted by Hevishot13
It’s Alabama. Birds don’t run around gobbling everyday all long. Short bursts are all you will get if you get it. I’ve killed one bird that gobbled to the gun barrel. The rest never made a sound other than drumming. Learn what they do, just like deer hunting. Knowing where he is and will be is half the battle. I don’t get much time to hunt. If I waited only on gobbling birds, I’d end the season disappointed.

If you hunt them as if they never even had the ability to gobble, when they do actually gobble, you will already know where he’s been, where he’s going, and where you need to be in order to kill him.
And every one you kill by seeing him in a field or on a camera or sitting in a bunch of sign and getting him killed via whatever silent turkey method you choose is simply lessening the odds of hearing one gobble later that season and/or seasons that follow. Yes, someone else may kill him…..but if you individually do…it is a guarantee he will never be heard by you nor anyone else again. So in essence, you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face in the locales you hunt if more gobbling is something you desire (which you may not but I know I do). In these days of lessening turkey numbers, especially across Jackson County, I’m finding it more and more and more difficult to arrive at the proper balance of it all. These are simply not fun times for me compared to the years when turkeys that wanted to act halfway right were SO much easier to find, whether I killed them on that day or not.

Time to spend in the woods, has a lot of influence on my "pickiness". When I hunted 40 days a season, I would go home if they weren't gobbling, or walk until I struck one. Now that I hunt 6-8x days a year in alabama, I'm not able to be as picky about the quality of the hunt. I'm not going to sit there and deer hunt them over decoys, but will sneak one or hang in there with a bird that is only gobbling every 2 hours.

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660072
04/27/22 08:46 PM
04/27/22 08:46 PM
Alabama
D
doghouse Offline OP
4 point
doghouse  Offline OP
4 point
D
Alabama
I’ve deer hunted them, outsmarted them if you want to call it that and every other way you can hunt them and I’ve had a lot of luck going those routes. That’s just not for me. What gets my motor running is the back and forth between me and a gobbler or a hen. The vocal interaction is what I enjoy. He doesn’t have to gobble every step he takes but the gobbling is the thrill of it for me. Knowing where he is when he gobbles the first couple times then when he gobbles again and he’s closing in on my location. Then he doesn’t gobble for several minutes and you know he’s close. Heart is pounding a thousand miles an hour and having to make myself breath normal. That’s the thrill for me. The adrenaline factor means everything to me when turkey hunting. Sure there’s a rush of adrenaline when I see him slipping through the woods when deer hunting them or waiting them out. Just not the same rush as going back and forth. If it means setting up a thousand times in different locations that makes its all the better. That big build of of talking back and forth and knowing that’s he coming to me is what fires me up. I’m not knocking or criticizing anyone that deer hunts them or waits them out or any other way of hunting. That’s just not what turkey hunting is to me. No doubt the way I hunt has cost me a lot of birds over the years by hunting the way I do, but it’s also killed a pile of birds over the years too.

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660096
04/27/22 09:20 PM
04/27/22 09:20 PM
Earth
TDog93 Offline
Booner
TDog93  Offline
Booner
Earth
I am w U Southwood - I hv had a good hunt if I work a bird - heck yea it’s about the gobble - I try not to deer hunt them - I deer hunt in deer season - if I need to get around in front of them or get to where they like to be - I will - but I like working them the best. I think less is more w calling - but I still like to work one - that’s how u get better - experience - It all starts w having turkeys - I ain’t had many last 3 years - if u go and never hear - why go? I was delighted to hear one gobble 2-3 times today because he was on my property. I go for the thrill of working a bird - and thats why most people I know go and u can do the holier than though and Judge but I dang sure don’t hunt for u - the gobble is the thrill of the hunt - why I got into it. I love to see the woods wake up but I hope a gobbling turkey is a part of that and I love to see them strut and I love to see them flop

When I hunted public land - there was plenty of times he may only gobble few times - but that’s enough to call him in

And people hunt for their own reasons - not to make people on Aldeer happy

Hunt the wind - leave it better than you found it - love your neighbor as you love your self
We need prayer for our country now more than ever
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660108
04/27/22 09:35 PM
Ourtown, AL
BCLC Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
BCLC  Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
Ourtown, AL
This thread has got me rolling. Ain’t a dadgum one of you that wouldn’t pull the trigger on a gobbler in full strut at 30yds if he slipped in on you tight lipped. It’s easy to play Tom Kelly on ALDeer but when you’re in the woods and the only thing between you and a long beard crappie floppin’ is pulling the trigger, that bird is gonna get shot (or shot at 🤣) 100% of the time.

IMO, “Deer hunting” a bird is sitting in a blind watching a chufa plot or a decoy set

We’re not dead. We just smell that way. Dayum. - AC870

Yessir! I’m always gonna shoot what makes me happy and I want everyone else to do the same! If you shoot one be proud of it and don’t worry what anyone else thinks. - SJ22
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660109
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
Much respect Southwood

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: BCLC] #3660113
04/27/22 09:47 PM
04/27/22 09:47 PM
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Originally Posted by BCLC
This thread has got me rolling. Ain’t a dadgum one of you that wouldn’t pull the trigger on a gobbler in full strut at 30yds if he slipped in on you tight lipped. It’s easy to play Tom Kelly on ALDeer but when you’re in the woods and the only thing between you and a long beard crappie floppin’ is pulling the trigger, that bird is gonna get shot (or shot at 🤣) 100% of the time.

IMO, “Deer hunting” a bird is sitting in a blind watching a chufa plot or a decoy set

Well of course I’d shoot him! I would be happy I got him but a little sad that I didn’t get to hear him gobble and watch him strut.

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: BrentM] #3660114
04/27/22 09:48 PM
04/27/22 09:48 PM
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner

Originally Posted by BrentM
Much respect Southwood

Back at you!

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: Southwood7] #3660158
04/27/22 10:30 PM
04/27/22 10:30 PM
Ourtown, AL
BCLC Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
Old Mossy Horns
Ourtown, AL

Well of course I’d shoot him! I would be happy I got him but a little sad that I didn’t get to hear him gobble and watch him strut.

beers

I totally understand and really just having a little fun with it. You’re a turkey machine, love your pics.

Yessir! I’m always gonna shoot what makes me happy and I want everyone else to do the same! If you shoot one be proud of it and don’t worry what anyone else thinks. - SJ22
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660183
04/28/22 01:33 AM
04/28/22 01:33 AM
You are ignoring this user
Thread Killer Online content
10 point
Thread Killer  Online Content
10 point
You are ignoring this user
I saw a Tom about 20 yards of the road in an undisclosed rural location and I gotta say. Temptation is a mother. I told him he didn’t know how lucky he was. The old me woulda done it differently.

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660204
04/28/22 06:39 AM
04/28/22 06:39 AM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
let’s say i phone you & say - “hey man, i know it’s been tough on you - i’m tagged out & can’t go - but i’ve got a bird for ya - best estimate, he’s a 3-4 yo gobbler, long spurs & beard drags the ground, prob’ll weigh 25 lbs ... he’s always by himself in this one spot he stays in all day - never gobbles & runs from your calling”

just so i’m understanding y’all - what i’m hearing is you’ll say - “NAH man, thank you - i’ve got this $200 box call & unless i get to blow the chalk slap off it & have an interaction w/the bird & he runs to my barrel gobbling & strutting, i dont want ‘em”

am i hearing y’all right? if you say yes - you’re a lying SOB & the truth ain’t in you 🤣😂💩🦃

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 04/28/22 06:54 AM.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Accepting defeat [Re: BCLC] #3660265
04/28/22 08:01 AM
04/28/22 08:01 AM
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner

beers

I totally understand and really just having a little fun with it. You’re a turkey machine, love your pics.

I’m having fun to! We all love turkeys.

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3660267
04/28/22 08:03 AM
04/28/22 08:03 AM
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
let’s say i phone you & say - “hey man, i know it’s been tough on you - i’m tagged out & can’t go - but i’ve got a bird for ya - best estimate, he’s a 3-4 yo gobbler, long spurs & beard drags the ground, prob’ll weigh 25 lbs ... he’s always by himself in this one spot he stays in all day - never gobbles & runs from your calling”

just so i’m understanding y’all - what i’m hearing is you’ll say - “NAH man, thank you - i’ve got this $200 box call & unless i get to blow the chalk slap off it & have an interaction w/the bird & he runs to my barrel gobbling & strutting, i dont want ‘em”

am i hearing y’all right? if you say yes - you’re a lying SOB & the truth ain’t in you 🤣😂💩🦃

Is this a theoretical question or do you really know where this bird is located? 😉😂

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: doghouse] #3660274
04/28/22 08:09 AM
04/28/22 08:09 AM
Ourtown, AL
BCLC Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
Old Mossy Horns
Ourtown, AL
lol lol lol

Re: Accepting defeat [Re: Southwood7] #3660303
04/28/22 08:27 AM
04/28/22 08:27 AM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL

Is this a theoretical question or do you really know where this bird is located? 😉😂

that's what i thought ... rofl

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.