</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
WTB - Browning Maxus
by Okatuppa. 04/26/24 11:25 PM
2010 F-150 XLT 4x4- gauging interest
by ford150man. 04/26/24 09:39 PM
<*> 1911 Spring Cleaning <*>
by BCLC. 04/26/24 07:41 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by cgardner. 04/26/24 07:15 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (Tall Dog, IDOT, Bustinbeards, AU338MAG, BCLC, blumsden, 3006bullet, rickyh_2, Ron A., Luxfisher, timberwolfe, Solothurn, trailertrash, joeml18, WMEC615, roll_tide_hunts, Turkey, JD_Bowhunter1976, BentBarrel, Thread Killer, Tree Dweller, 1bamashooter, slippinlipjr, jtillery, BuckRidge17, Signal26, AJones, TexasHuntress, hunterturf, quickshot, Livintohunt19, ronfromramer, paintrock, Huntn2feed5, outdoorguy88, rrice0725, AustinC, mdf, Six shooter, chill, CrappieMan, cullbuck, Bigem1958, fish_blackbass, Nightwatchman, GomerPyle, RockFarmer, trailmix, BrentsFX4, CKyleC, Stoney, Fattyfireplug, Narrow Gap, goodman_hunter, Tupi, Raspy, TamaDrumhead, GUT_SHOT, Nowlide, DThrash, BC_Reb, hue, BCD, desertdog, donia, Ol’Tom, Okatuppa, Kang, deadeye48, MattIce, 202P&Y, klay, Beer Belly, 3Gs, 007, scrape, ALScott, Sgt_mike, BD, JLMiller, Zzzfog, BamaPlowboy, globe, BamaGuitarDude, jarcher38, RidgeRanger, mdavis, Bmyers142, Turkeyneck78, sanderson, 6 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3349829
02/11/21 08:30 PM
02/11/21 08:30 PM
N Bama
H
HappyHunter Offline
4 point
HappyHunter  Offline
4 point
H
N Bama
I have been in outside sales the last 18 years and really like new technology. That being said I believe CRM software is really in place for your replacement. It makes it easier for a company to transition needed Information if it is accurate . My draw is about 10% of my annual salary not including bonus. Typically I travel 2-3 weeks a month minus the last 12 months which I have only been on 4 flights which is sad. I have driven to customers and the 4 flights were all customers that needed an in person visit. The company I work for is all about taking care of the customer and provides the flexibility to let that happen. The one thing that I can assure you of is a person can either sell or they can’t. A person that can sell is worth every penny they earn. A person that can’t sell is just hurting the company and needs to go. I agree numbers don’t lie, but lazy dishonest sales people do. A good sales person wants to go sell, let them.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: 257wbymag] #3349830
02/11/21 08:31 PM
Southeast of Reeltown
M
Mhkodiak Offline
4 point
Mhkodiak  Offline
4 point
M
Southeast of Reeltown
Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Covid has made many sales folks lazier. I like to handle things laid back low pressure on my end. It’s been working. I’m here for my customers 24/7. They know that. My numbers show if I been working or not

This. COVID is an excuse to a point. I’m seeing more excuses why outside salesman are losing business. If you have a relationship with the end user there are ways to maintain it. Texts, phone calls, emails and a tail gate meeting at a job site will go along way to show customers you are there for them. At the end of the month the numbers don’t lie.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3349831
F
ford150man Offline
Old Mossy Horns
ford150man  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
F
Some industries won’t support a 25% salary and 75% commission. Usually it’s high dollar, large items that a sale takes a really long time. I worked in an industry like this once. It was mostly relationship building with each customer maybe making one or two purchases a year. I agree with what was said above about spending more and more time filling out paperwork or entering information. I hate it but do it because it’s expected. My biggest complaint though about it is when management tells us it will help us be more organized and make more money, when in reality it’s so they have information should we leave the company. If they think we are stupid enough to believe it’s for our own good, then we are too stupid to do our jobs.

If voting made any difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.-Mark Twain
Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3349856
02/11/21 09:14 PM
02/11/21 09:14 PM
Central to South AL
Stickers Offline
8 point
Stickers  Offline
8 point
Central to South AL
There is probably a CRM specific to your industry. CRM for our industry is what we use.
Serious/ Hi performing sales folks won't use it seriously/completely. Under performers will game it. Result is the information you expected to get from your Outside sales mgmt tool is always flawed. Always. Outside of a company truck, my compensation is just enough to cover my annual health ins premiums. I am 95% commission. Company does have 5 holidays, but we get no vacation.
Any structure where over 30-40% of compensation is straight salary, isn't a true sales job. It is a " I can fake this long enough to find something else " job.
Our company decided to use good Regional Sales managers to "inspect what they expect". Joint calls, updates on deals you are working.
They use "pipeline management" - we turn in a pipeline with % chance to close ( 40%/70%/95%). BS gets exposed pretty quick. Strong consistent performance is rewarded with an ownership interest in the company.If the pipeline or prospects never change much, those people get weeded out pretty quick.

Hire for character, train for skill and your folks will take care of your business and you. If a prospective hire is more interested in salary / comp plans / vacation than rather than insurance and
what he is selling, that person probably isn't what you need. Just my .02 based on being in sales / business development for 25+ years.

WDE
Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3349984
02/12/21 12:01 AM
02/12/21 12:01 AM
Guntersville, AL
IDOT Online happy
I am Cornholio
IDOT  Online Happy
I am Cornholio
Guntersville, AL
Originally Posted by Goatkiller
I need to keep better tabs on what my outside sales people are doing daily.

Ask them to show you what "Their" daily routine/plan is. If they don't have a plan, they aren't working.

Know the territory as well or better than the reps themselves. This cuts down on the BS and allows you to better manage/direct your force to where their time can be better spent.

Weekly meetings are great, but they need to be very focused. What did you accomplish from last week and what are you doing next week.

Make sure they are good at web based meetings such as GoToMeeting, Teams etc. There is no excuse for them to not be in front of customers with the technology available today.

If the reps can't get a customers attention now, then they didn't have it pre-covid either.

Originally Posted by Patricia Heaton
If you’re a common sense person, you probably don’t feel you have a home in this world right now. If you’re a Christian, you know you were never meant to.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: IDOT] #3350008
02/12/21 05:49 AM
02/12/21 05:49 AM
Chilton
P
Powpow65 Offline
10 point
Powpow65  Offline
10 point
P
Chilton
Originally Posted by IDOT
Originally Posted by Goatkiller
I need to keep better tabs on what my outside sales people are doing daily.

Ask them to show you what "Their" daily routine/plan is. If they don't have a plan, they aren't working.

Know the territory as well or better than the reps themselves. This cuts down on the BS and allows you to better manage/direct your force to where their time can be better spent.

Weekly meetings are great, but they need to be very focused. What did you accomplish from last week and what are you doing next week.

Make sure they are good at web based meetings such as GoToMeeting, Teams etc. There is no excuse for them to not be in front of customers with the technology available today.

If the reps can't get a customers attention now, then they didn't have it pre-covid either.

Yep and you don't even have to have an app or a specialized computer program. Just have them make a schedule/plan for the next week that they send you every Friday with detailed notes about all the prospects/cold calls and current customers. I'd just make the slackers do it. Then just follow up on one or two and catch them lying about what they have been doing

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3350059
02/12/21 08:14 AM
02/12/21 08:14 AM
Northport, Alabama
S
sportrep Offline
4 point
sportrep  Offline
4 point
S
Northport, Alabama
I was a sales rep most of my career prior to owning my own business the last 19 years. Reps were independent contractors. We were paid on a small salary and heavy commission basis. Early on we were evaluated solely on numbers and it wasn’t hard to see who was either getting it done, struggling, or lazy. The company became middle management heavy and they instituted weekly sales reports (in my view to justify their lofty salaries). We represented 38 manufacturers at the time and within 6 months every one of them wanted a detailed sales report. The sales reports literally took me out of production an entire day of every week and cost me significant income. Some of the more productive guys in our group refused to do it and were summarily replaced with younger, cheaper, and less productive guys who were obviously less respected in the field. I saw the political games and position jockeying being played by middle management as hand writing on the wall and left a career I initially thought I was born for. Every one of the sales reps knew who were producers, and who was just plain lazy. Those who were struggling were invited, privately, by us older guys to spend a week in our territories with us to step up their game. We all knew who “moved the needle” and who was “riding the bus”. Prior to the middle management movement ownership knew the same and we were considered the best group in the industry. That same group has lost their most productive manufacturers and are struggling to survive.
You managers / owners would do well to get involved with guys individually. Ride with strugglers in the territory and occasionally with producers. It doesn’t take long to figure it out. If you choose to move to heavy commission compensation don’t demand too much of a producers time away from his ability to produce.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3350301
02/12/21 01:10 PM
02/12/21 01:10 PM
GA
UncleHuck Offline
10 point
UncleHuck  Offline
10 point
GA

I'm in Procurement. In general, I don't need to see sales reps as long as they answer their phone. Many of my suppliers are 500+ miles away from me.

My personal thought is that the producers in your group are probably still getting orders. Covid hasn't changed how much we buy, just how many people I see.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3350589
02/12/21 07:20 PM
02/12/21 07:20 PM
Birmingham
T
Trey Offline
spike
Trey  Offline
spike
T
Birmingham
I manage a sales team for a fortune 500 company and love Salesforce, not due to tracking my people but for having all the information we need jn one place. We have multiple levels of sales people calling on the same accounts and that keeps people from making the same sales call in the same week. Sfdc can be as detailed as you are willing to pay for. IMO, the best way to track a sales team that isn't micro managing is by tracking opportunities and account growth(new active accounts and/or revenue growth in current accounts. That tells me that they are making targeted effective sales calls vs pencil whipping sfdc.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: Goatkiller] #3350614
02/12/21 07:54 PM
02/12/21 07:54 PM
Michigan
S
Sasquatch Lives Offline
10 point
Sasquatch Lives  Offline
10 point
S
Michigan
Put em on commission, sink or swim baby. Lots of lazy reps if you can't keep close tabs on them. If they can't cut it find someone else who can.

Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: 257wbymag] #3350705
02/12/21 09:20 PM
02/12/21 09:20 PM
Central
G
GaryConrad Offline
spike
GaryConrad  Offline
spike
G
Central
Originally Posted by ford150man
Here are my thoughts, some of which you didn’t ask for. I’ve been in outside sales for 19 years. We use an app that’s written specifically for our company so, telling you the name of it would be useless. I’ve always been of the opinion that my sales numbers speak for themselves as to whether or not I’m working. The covid excuse only goes so far.

Covid has made many sales folks lazier. I like to handle things laid back low pressure on my end. It’s been working. I’m here for my customers 24/7. They know that. My numbers show if I been working or not

Exactly this.. I have worked as a sales manager and an outside salesman for years. The way my company judges sales people on their progress is how many units are sold. It is straight commission mostly, and the slower markets do have a salary with a reduced commission option. CRM and call reports do not work. CRM just helps make management feel good if there is activity on it and give sales people an excuse to be in thee office when they should be in front of prospects. It can also be manipulated, as can sales call reports. The reason people are in sales is so they have the freedom in their schedule, and usually an opportunity to have unlimited income potential. Sounds like you need to look at your hiring practices, or incentivize your pay plan so you build a team of winners. Company culture also goes a long way. It is really that simple.

"If Black is beautiful, then I just chit a masterpiece".
Re: Outside Sales management tools [Re: GaryConrad] #3350942
02/13/21 11:06 AM
02/13/21 11:06 AM
O
Ol’Tom Online content
4 point
Ol’Tom  Online Content
4 point
O
Originally Posted by GaryConrad
Originally Posted by ford150man
Here are my thoughts, some of which you didn’t ask for. I’ve been in outside sales for 19 years. We use an app that’s written specifically for our company so, telling you the name of it would be useless. I’ve always been of the opinion that my sales numbers speak for themselves as to whether or not I’m working. The covid excuse only goes so far.

Exactly this.. I have worked as a sales manager and an outside salesman for years. The way my company judges sales people on their progress is how many units are sold. It is straight commission mostly, and the slower markets do have a salary with a reduced commission option. CRM and call reports do not work. CRM just helps make management feel good if there is activity on it and give sales people an excuse to be in thee office when they should be in front of prospects. It can also be manipulated, as can sales call reports. The reason people are in sales is so they have the freedom in their schedule, and usually an opportunity to have unlimited income potential. Sounds like you need to look at your hiring practices, or incentivize your pay plan so you build a team of winners. Company culture also goes a long way. It is really that simple.

I’ve done outside sales for 30+ years I’ve seen it all, I think. These three men are giving you the goods.
Micro management don’t work for me or most successful sales people I know. It’s tough developing new talent and there’s a place for salary + commission with new people but I think 100% commission sales with unlimited earning potential is what drives the best and there numbers will show it.
SFDC is a great sales tool if used the right way. I’ve never seen any CRM platform that works or is worth the money. IMHO

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.