</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
H&r ultra in 35 wheelen
by AustinC. 05/21/24 07:52 AM
Glock 43X
by Morris. 05/21/24 07:46 AM
18’ Car hauler utility trailer
by Jweeks. 05/20/24 06:08 PM
Nomad Leafy Pants
by JUGHEAD. 05/20/24 02:43 PM
Rolling Stones June 7 Atlanta
by zwick. 05/20/24 02:12 PM
Serious Deer Talk
how much ammo
by bamaeyedoc. 05/21/24 08:27 AM
Useful Gear
by Frankie. 05/21/24 07:49 AM
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by Ridge Life. 05/19/24 08:29 PM
Tennessee
by ridgestalker. 05/18/24 07:18 AM
Research Update
by Ben2. 05/17/24 08:35 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Who's Online Now
126 registered members (mzzy, zwick, CKyleC, GomerPyle, bamapanic, donia, Frankie, Yellahammer, zgobbler5, fur_n_feathers, buzzard, Wildboar14, Dean, Bushmaster, mossyback, hunter84, Whild_Bill, DGAMBLER, Lil_Fella, Shane99, blumsden, Mully, kaferhaus, dirtwrk, klay, doc bar, hallb, HBWALKER14, 7PTSPREAD, Sgiles, Fullthrottle, coldtrail, BPI, Koba, CAL, Tree Dweller, Cynical, Onemore, bamaeyedoc, Phelps, WhoMe, clayk, twaldrop4, cdaddy14, Parker243, Gunner211, square, ducky25, Jweeks, TensawRiver, Bigem1958, hippi, dquick1, Quack Quack Bang, KHOOKS, stl32, Morgan, dwoliver, Standbanger, Cuz-Pat, AU338MAG, UAhunter, gregnbc, lalongbeard, Bruno, Skillet, longshot, goodman_hunter, Rolloverdave, OldgoatTN68, bn163, BC_Reb, BCLC, Weedpicker, thayerp81, brushwhacker, Cactus_buck, crenshawco, Floorman1, Reptar, Ben Downs, Chiller, Driveby, apolloslade, Gut Pile 32, Lightfoot, IDOT, Squadron77, SwampHunter, AU coonhunter, Narrow Gap, JohnnyLoco, Kemosabe, Bustinbeards, BamaBoHunter, BACK40, Antelope08, sj22, gman, Booner Hunter, TATUM, AustinC, Drycreek, Young20, Tracker, mcninja, Shaneomac2, 2walnuts, Buckwheat, just_an_illusion, trlrdrdave, Hunting-231, Moose24, DoeNut, frankj, Catbird, Xbow, Jtide, 8 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Xmas or Christmas #235597
12/08/11 11:43 AM
12/08/11 11:43 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Should there be a debate over which to use or not? The "Xmas gifts" thread prompted me to ponder this.

Xmas: Historically Xmas could be seen as an appropriate way to shorthand express Christmas. Consider what R.C Sproul has to say about it.

Quote:
The X in Christmas is used like the R in R.C. My given name at birth was Robert Charles, although before I was even taken home from the hospital my parents called me by my initials, R.C., and nobody seems to be too scandalized by that.

X can mean so many things. For example, when we want to denote an unknown quantity, we use the symbol X. It can refer to an obscene level of films, something that is X-rated. People seem to express chagrin about seeing Christ’s name dropped and replaced by this symbol for an unknown quantity X. Every year you see the signs and the bumper stickers saying, “Put Christ back into Christmas” as a response to this substitution of the letter X for the name of Christ.

There’s no X in Christmas

First of all, you have to understand that it is not the letter X that is put into Christmas. We see the English letter X there, but actually what it involves is the first letter of the Greek name for Christ. Christos is the New Testament Greek for Christ. The first letter of the Greek word Christos is transliterated into our alphabet as an X. That X has come through church history to be a shorthand symbol for the name of Christ.

We don’t see people protesting the use of the Greek letter theta, which is an O with a line across the middle. We use that as a shorthand abbreviation for God because it is the first letter of the word Theos, the Greek word for God.

X has a long and sacred history

The idea of X as an abbreviation for the name of Christ came into use in our culture with no intent to show any disrespect for Jesus. The church has used the symbol of the fish historically because it is an acronym. Fish in Greek (ichthus) involved the use of the first letters for the Greek phrase “Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior.” So the early Christians would take the first letter of those words and put those letters together to spell the Greek word for fish. That’s how the symbol of the fish became the universal symbol of Christendom. There’s a long and sacred history of the use of X to symbolize the name of Christ, and from its origin, it has meant no disrespect.

Christmas: Well the use of the word Christmas obviously uses Christ's name as the open and obvious reason for the season. "Christo Mass".

Today's usage: Today in our culture, Xmas is used not as a sacred way to refer to Christ by most...it is just an easy way to write Christmas. Additionally it is a way for non believers to write Christmas without invoking the name of Christ. Xmas may have started out as sacred, but today is is hardly used that way my most people. "Christmas" itself has been hijacked too as by many it is just a holiday and a time to give gifts and hang out with family. Christ is not worshipped as the coming Messiah by many, yet they participate in the season because of its "fun" quotient. American culture has hijacked the true message of Christmas/Xmas into a time for snowflakes, modern ideas of Santa (not the original idea), shopping, food, and time off work and school. The golden thread of the message of the Savior might be there in part, but many of us really do not set aside the time as true worship of the King.

Heart issue: Whether one uses Xmas or Christmas isn't the true issue. Where our hearts are during this time is the real issue. Are we worshipping and honoring Christ Jesus during the "holidays"????? That is the test that will reveal our hearts. So use Xmas and Christmas equally, because both have been hijacked in our culture. We ALL should check our hearts when we are celebrating.

For our children: What are we teaching them about Christmas? Are we teaching them about the birth of the Messiah and why He chose to come to earth? The why is most important. God created the world and all we see and have yet to see. His invisible qualities are all around us so that each man and woman and child is without excuse. Sin entered the world with Eve and Adam. God's wrath entered the world and Mankind is fallen and we have broken God's laws and have sinned and fallen short. We are without merit. Christ came to live as us and sacrifice Himself once and for all to Redeem us from our sins and give us a life eternal with God after our earthly lives have ceased. There is no amount of goodness or work that we can do on our own to gain eternal life with Him. It is only by Faith Alone, In Christ Alone , By Grace Alone that we can be saved and be Redeemed, Justified and then Sanctified. This is the great gift of God to us. This is why we celebrate the birth of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Are we sending that messatge as we lead our families?

Fun Holidays: I love to eat the Christmas food and enjoy the Christmas time and spirit...Love the time off work and time spent with my family. But the most important thing that I can do as a Father is to leave a lasting legagy of Faith and teaching to my sons. The gifts I buy them may be remembered for a while...some might be remembered forever (1st gun, special keepsake), but the gift of teaching and raising them up in fear and admonition of the Lord and passing along the true message of Christmas is a gift that will last longer than anything else. It is a leacy that will carry on to multiple generations after me. I've failed plenty on this in the past, but today it is something important to me.

So I encourage, challenge and urge you Aldeer brothers to sit back and think about Christmas. Where are your priorities? We all can struggle here and I am no exception. The world teaches us that Christmas is about gifts and fun. Is your heart right about why we celebrate Christmas? Are you as fathers teaching your children the true message and thus fulfilling your God-given role? Ponder it and think on it. If you need to make some changes, then step out in faith and watch God do a wonderful work within your family.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: straycat] #235603
12/08/11 11:46 AM
12/08/11 11:46 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline
Booner
E
Prattville AL
thumbup

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: straycat] #235615
12/08/11 12:00 PM
12/08/11 12:00 PM
Gardendale
B
BigDalk Offline
10 point
BigDalk  Offline
10 point
B
Gardendale
I don't care what the Greek's said. I will never use that term for Christmas! I won't call it a "holiday" tree either.

"The aggies are going to destroy bama"
Burbank
Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: straycat] #235710
12/08/11 03:34 PM
12/08/11 03:34 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
straycat,

Quote:
... "Christmas" itself has been hijacked too as by many it is just a holiday and a time to give gifts and hang out with family.

I've studied the origins of the celebration of "Christmas" and have come to believe that it may actually be Christians who are hijacking a pagan season of festivities and gift giving that dates back before the birth of Christ. We would do well to celebrate God's unspeakable gift to mankind thru the death and resurrection of His Son each day with our lives as the Scriptures instruct us to do, and to place less emphasis on the annual "Christmas" celebration of His birth.

Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: 49er] #235730
12/08/11 03:55 PM
12/08/11 03:55 PM
Wetumpka
A
ALDeerSlayer Offline
10 point
ALDeerSlayer  Offline
10 point
A
Wetumpka
IT would be called Christmas... that's all!

"Honor to the soldier, and Sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor also to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field, and serves, as he best can, the same cause." --Abraham Lincoln
Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: 49er] #235742
12/08/11 04:12 PM
12/08/11 04:12 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Originally Posted By: 49er
straycat,

Quote:
... "Christmas" itself has been hijacked too as by many it is just a holiday and a time to give gifts and hang out with family.

I've studied the origins of the celebration of "Christmas" and have come to believe that it may actually be Christians who are hijacking a pagan season of festivities and gift giving that dates back before the birth of Christ. We would do well to celebrate God's unspeakable gift to mankind thru the death and resurrection of His Son each day with our lives as the Scriptures instruct us to do, and to place less emphasis on the annual "Christmas" celebration of His birth.

I've studied the same information and it is clear that the Dec 25th date does correspond to some other pagan celebrations or at least are at a similar timing.

My hijack comment was the name "Christmas" in that Christmas is less of a sacred celebration of Jesus's birth and more of a holiday for gift giving and non-Christ related events...as in Christ really isn't the head of Christmas in many of the households today. Similar that Memorial Day is seen as a day off the BBQ and not really used by most as a time to reflect and memorialize those military members that have fallen.

And I agree that the true meaning has been changed into a season full of other things not related to our Saviour.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: straycat] #235839
12/08/11 06:41 PM
12/08/11 06:41 PM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
thumbup to the last post.

Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: straycat] #236326
12/09/11 01:14 PM
12/09/11 01:14 PM
alabama
J
judge sharpe Offline
8 point
judge sharpe  Offline
8 point
J
alabama
Gifts we give are in poor imitation of the Great Gift that God our Father gave to us. It is good and right that we celebrate and honor the birth of the Christ Child who came to save us all. It was an undeserved gift, a Grace so to speak.
Whether Christ was born on or around December 25th is not important. The shepards were in the field tending sheep when the heavenly multitudes apeared to them proclaiming Christ was born. That was most likely some time in the spring or summer in the northern hemisphere.
The Winter Equnox is December 21, and has been a time of celebration at many times and in many cultures. It is the day that the days begin to get longer leading to the rebirth and renewal in the spring.
So it is a fit time to honor the One who leads our rebirth from sin and provides a way for us to bask in the Glory of God for eternity.
Maybe the early Christians adopted a time when pagans celebrated the coming of the new year Possably retaining the same feast day made it easier to bring non-Christians into the fold. What does it matter?
For what ever reason, Christmas has long been celebrated on the 25th and has been a Holy Day of reflection, celebration and joyfulness because on this day our salvation came.
Yes keep Christ in Christmas, honor him and through him God who gave us the grace of salvation. Christ was the greatest gift, and in humble imitation of that let us exchange gifts to remind each other of the Grace we recieve everyday. Remember to that Christ was not the only name Jesus was called, He was also named
E(I)mmamuel, God among us. How does Emmanuelmas sound?

Just the rambelings of an old man's mind.

I try to read the Christmas story to my children and grandchildren each advent season as a reminder.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a quiet, safe and happy good night.

Bill Brower

Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees
Stonewall Jackson
Hug your loved ones often, Life is short even on its longest days.
I don't see the glass as half full or half empty. I just finish it and order another.
Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: judge sharpe] #236382
12/09/11 03:39 PM
12/09/11 03:39 PM
cottondale
D
duckbuster Offline
8 point
duckbuster  Offline
8 point
D
cottondale
Christmas. Is nut just a holiday it is the day We celebrate Christ with out him we would have nothing worth celebrating

Re: Xmas or Christmas [Re: duckbuster] #239033
12/13/11 09:41 PM
12/13/11 09:41 PM
USA
T
Thomcat Offline
spike
Thomcat  Offline
spike
T
USA
Most Christians use Dec. 25 to recognize the birth of Jesus. We may have "hi-jacked" a previously pagan holiday and then replaced it with our own reason for celebration. We exchange gifts, sing beautiful and/or happy songs, not to mention many carols to celebrate His grace, Santa for the kids, hot toddys for the chills, etc., but He's still the reason for the season. And without Him, the true joy would be so much less.

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.