</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO gas golf cart
by Paint Rock 00. 04/27/24 06:55 PM
Taylormade irons and Ping 3W
by BamaBoHunter. 04/27/24 12:40 PM
.22 LR ammo for sale
by Rem870s2. 04/27/24 10:05 AM
ISO .22 pistol.
by hippi. 04/27/24 06:07 AM
Cva wolf 50. Cal
by Bows4evr. 04/26/24 11:49 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas draw
by Hunter454. 04/27/24 06:05 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by Squeaky. 04/26/24 12:07 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Rockstar007, antlerhunter, DuckDown11, misfire, Sandmtnslayer, Pinelevel Hunter, Gunpowder, EricS, Okatuppa, rrice0725, Fishbones, TWS1215, tidenate, hamma, Ray_Coon, BPI, Bull64, bambam32, Tree Dweller, Gobble4me757, JA, wk2hnt, MarksOutdoors, Skinner, mcninja, Paint Rock 00, mathews prostaff, Rolloverdave, Jotjackson, reeve025, scrape, mossyback, BamaBoHunter, deadeye48, BrentsFX4, brett.smith, Bruno, MikeP, bug54, kpswihart, Herdbull, booner, SouthBamaSlayer, Mdees, Cahabariverrat, Reaper, MCW, roll_tide_hunts, Shane99, RCHRR, SC53, HappyHunter, Flyliner, 5 invisible), 845 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Birds not gobbling #2764861
03/18/19 10:28 AM
03/18/19 10:28 AM
Florida
BCWhunter Offline OP
spike
BCWhunter  Offline OP
spike
Florida
I have gone every morning since opening season in Barbour County. Birds are not gobbling? Anyone else experiencing this? The weather has been cool in the morning; 40-44 degrees....is it too cold?

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764865
03/18/19 10:34 AM
03/18/19 10:34 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
I called one in 300 yards across a cotton field and killed him yesterday morning in Barbour Co, and he gobbled the whole way. There were two others on the high side of the field gobbling too. You just gotta put in your miles and try to run into one that's ready.

Gobbling has been slow for the most part though and I think it's this little cold snap and it's been fairly windy the last couple of days.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BC] #2764881
03/18/19 11:05 AM
03/18/19 11:05 AM
USA
R
Remington270 Offline
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Originally Posted by BC
You just gotta put in your miles and try to run into one that's ready.

Having a bunch of turkeys helps too grin

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764884
03/18/19 11:08 AM
central alabama
J
JA Online content
pic perv
JA  Online Content
pic perv
J
central alabama
Hunted Montgomery County Saturday morning and not a peep. Hunted Lowndes County Sunday morning and they were gobbling like crazy.

Just get out there.

Last edited by JA; 03/18/19 11:08 AM.
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764885
Boaz,AL
CarbonClimber1 Offline
14 point
CarbonClimber1  Offline
14 point
Boaz,AL
I aint heard one yet an i know im within hearin of birds..but they didi this last year so i know theyll change their attidude...an itll get their head sqwushed.

"I dont quit.. And ill fight alone if i have to"
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764887
03/18/19 11:11 AM
03/18/19 11:11 AM
huntin the big lease
T
Turkeymaster Offline
8 point
Turkeymaster  Offline
8 point
T
huntin the big lease
I've seen 7 gobblers and not a single one has gobbled, almost every one of them has had 10 plus hens with them so they dont have to gobble. there should still be satelite birds around gobbling. I' haven't heard a turkey gobble since the 8th of march

"All is fair in love, War and Turkey Hunting"
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: CarbonClimber1] #2764889
03/18/19 11:13 AM
03/18/19 11:13 AM
South of 20/North of 10
North40R Offline
14 point
North40R  Offline
14 point
South of 20/North of 10
Originally Posted by CarbonClimber1
I aint heard one yet an i know im within hearin of birds..but they didi this last year so i know theyll change their attidude...an itll get their head sqwushed.

Same song and dance every year! I did hear a couple this morning but they were more concerned with each other than they were hens.

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience. Emerson
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764932
03/18/19 12:41 PM
03/18/19 12:41 PM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
This weekend I heard 6 different birds gobble.

One of them gobbled on the roost one time and never said another word.
Two of them gobbled on the roost 3 times and never said another word.

The other 3 I'm not sure about what they did on the roost, but when I caught them in that cotton field they were pretty talkative. I figure the ones above me on the top side gobbled 8-10 times and the one I killed gobbled probably that much. They still aren't right but when this cold snap gets out of here they are going to turn on.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764938
03/18/19 12:54 PM
03/18/19 12:54 PM
Longwood, FL
J
jlbuc10 Offline
Booner
jlbuc10  Offline
Booner
J
Longwood, FL
Couple more days in a row of these high pressure sunny days should get them in the mood!

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764944
03/18/19 12:58 PM
03/18/19 12:58 PM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW
Pretty good around here. Acting like turkey. Gobbling and strutting and responding. Single hen and gobbler tracks. No groups. But it’s normal here mid March.

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764946
03/18/19 12:59 PM
03/18/19 12:59 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
It's modern day turkey hunting. I don't know if it's coyotes, global warming, bird flu, some unseen force of nature, or what the @#$#@, but turkeys just don't gobble anymore. Thus I legit QUIT turkey hunting altogether maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and had pretty much lost interest 5 or 6 years before that. I absolutely, positively, thoroughly REFUSE to deer-hunt turkeys. All the fun is in the gobbling--be it locating him, calling to him, him being vocal enough to stay on him, etc. Just sitting around blind calling isn't "fun". The basic act of shooting a turkey isn't "fun" (well, that's debatable, but you know what I mean grin).

And I'm a guy who into his early 20's thought I'd work in the turkey hunting business, it was my whole life. I grew up working for/with Southland Game Calls and Camp Callers, I considered Doug Camp like a surrogate dad. Worked the booth at shows, travelled out of state, and hunted every morning of the season back in those days. And back then (late 80's thru the 90's) you'd hear a dozen turkeys every morning, most of which gobbled 300X up till lunch. Crap, we were just high school boys and we'd limit out within the first two weeks most seasons, sometimes the first week!!!(it was always Spring Break) But also most of my hunting is in the big wooded ridges, so I very much need the birds to gobble. I'm not on flat private land with fields, they aren't visible on the mountain. If they aren't gobbling, you're just out of the game. Of the 3 guys I know who killed over the weekend, every one them said they heard zero gobbles, they just went to a food plot where they'd had pics of birds and sat and waited. I talked to ONE person who ever heard a turkey gobble around these parts, and he said it only gobbled two times. Again, YAWN!!!!...I ain't deer-hunting turkeys. And it's got NOTHING to do with being "henned up", birds with hens still gobble their friggin' heads off. Silence isn't a result of having hens. Probably most of the birds I ever killed had hens, but they still gobbled at every call, crow, woodpecker, jet plane, thunder clap, and whatever other noise all morning, so you could stay with him and finally get close enough to kill 'eem.

I can't even tell you the last time I heard ONE turkey gobble more than maybe 20 times, and it's just become the norm to go and not hear a gobble at all. I'm out on that, got NO interest in it.

Last edited by ikillbux; 03/18/19 01:04 PM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: ikillbux] #2764958
03/18/19 01:09 PM
03/18/19 01:09 PM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
Originally Posted by ikillbux
I can't even tell you the last time I heard ONE turkey gobble more than maybe 20 times, and it's just become the norm to go and not hear a gobble at all. I'm out on that, got NO interest in it.

move to Texas; Rio's gobble like crazy ... but around here, whenever i mentor somebody, the first thing i do is "break" them from falling in love w/a gobbling bird ... and i don't hunt in blinds too often ... i'll be the first to admit that it's great when they gobble & act right ... it's just not a hard requirement for me anymore ... the very first bird i ever killed didn't do chit - and he died just the same ... i enjoy the grind/process of finding & scouting a bird & getting the drop on his quiet a$$; that's equally as satisfying to me as one gobbling like crazy & coming to your calls ...

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 03/18/19 01:31 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764961
03/18/19 01:13 PM
Opelika, AL
AU_trout_bum Offline
8 point
AU_trout_bum  Offline
8 point
Opelika, AL
We had them gobbling good on Saturday morning and not a peep yesterday morning. Got on them gobbling good yesterday afternoon though.

Author, Fly Fishing for Redeye Bass: An Adventure Across Southern Waters
JacksonKayak Fishing Team
---------------------------------------------------
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: ikillbux] #2764962
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
It's modern day turkey hunting. I don't know if it's coyotes, global warming, bird flu, some unseen force of nature, or what the @#$#@, but turkeys just don't gobble anymore. Thus I legit QUIT turkey hunting altogether maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and had pretty much lost interest 5 or 6 years before that. I absolutely, positively, thoroughly REFUSE to deer-hunt turkeys. All the fun is in the gobbling--be it locating him, calling to him, him being vocal enough to stay on him, etc. Just sitting around blind calling isn't "fun". The basic act of shooting a turkey isn't "fun" (well, that's debatable, but you know what I mean grin).

And I'm a guy who into his early 20's thought I'd work in the turkey hunting business, it was my whole life. I grew up working for/with Southland Game Calls and Camp Callers, I considered Doug Camp like a surrogate dad. Worked the booth at shows, travelled out of state, and hunted every morning of the season back in those days. And back then (late 80's thru the 90's) you'd hear a dozen turkeys every morning, most of which gobbled 300X up till lunch. Crap, we were just high school boys and we'd limit out within the first two weeks most seasons, sometimes the first week!!!(it was always Spring Break) But also most of my hunting is in the big wooded ridges, so I very much need the birds to gobble. I'm not on flat private land with fields, they aren't visible on the mountain. If they aren't gobbling, you're just out of the game. Of the 3 guys I know who killed over the weekend, every one them said they heard zero gobbles, they just went to a food plot where they'd had pics of birds and sat and waited. I talked to ONE person who ever heard a turkey gobble around these parts, and he said it only gobbled two times. Again, YAWN!!!!...I ain't deer-hunting turkeys. And it's got NOTHING to do with being "henned up", birds with hens still gobble their friggin' heads off. Silence isn't a result of having hens. Probably most of the birds I ever killed had hens, but they still gobbled at every call, crow, woodpecker, jet plane, thunder clap, and whatever other noise all morning, so you could stay with him and finally get close enough to kill 'eem.

I had a turkey I fooled with 9 times last year that I would have loved to have given over to you (or anybody else who would have taken him). Would have been right up your alley! Most of our turkeys were silent last year too, but there was no doubt what this one was gonna do every single morning. Never had a hen, gobbled like hell all morning long, and would run wide arse open away from you if you made any turkey sound at all. Just like you, I hate totally silent turkeys too, but I would much rather have one that will gobble 20 times or less (don't take but a couple if I know exactly where he is when I first hear him!) and act right (i.e. get relatively close and drum like wild for hours if he wants to) as opposed to one that will gobble like hell while walking the other way (whether following a hen or not). My point being, you don't HAVE to deer hunt em to have fantastic, gun-wrenching hunts. Just have to go as much as possible until you find one close enough and ready to play the game a little, even he don't want to burn it up gobbling!

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2764998
03/18/19 02:01 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
I’ve never in my life heard an Eastern wild turkey that had a bunch of hens with him gobble a lot after he hit the ground.

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: JUGHEAD] #2765000
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD

I had a turkey I fooled with 9 times last year that I would have loved to have given over to you (or anybody else who would have taken him). Would have been right up your alley! Most of our turkeys were silent last year too, but there was no doubt what this one was gonna do every single morning. Never had a hen, gobbled like hell all morning long, and would run wide arse open away from you if you made any turkey sound at all. Just like you, I hate totally silent turkeys too, but I would much rather have one that will gobble 20 times or less (don't take but a couple if I know exactly where he is when I first hear him!) and act right (i.e. get relatively close and drum like wild for hours if he wants to) as opposed to one that will gobble like hell while walking the other way (whether following a hen or not). My point being, you don't HAVE to deer hunt em to have fantastic, gun-wrenching hunts. Just have to go as much as possible until you find one close enough and ready to play the game a little, even he don't want to burn it up gobbling!

I'll take him!!! laugh grin I have always joked, "If I'm gonna kill a turkey, he's gonna have to gobble 50 times on roost, fly down towards me, and gobble 50 more times as he runs straight in!!" When I was coming up, if a bird shut up for more than 3 minutes you'd better get your gun up and listen for drumming, he was coming! Even if he wasn't coming in, or was going dead away from ya, at least he'd gobble every little bit and let you keep tabs on where he's at. And even 30 years later, I'll still chase one over 10 ridges (knowing the odds are low)

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2765023
03/18/19 02:33 PM
03/18/19 02:33 PM
Baldwin County
zgobbler5 Offline
4 point
zgobbler5  Offline
4 point
Baldwin County
Didn't hear a gobble Saturday or Sunday. I know where I'm hunting I should hear at least a couple. It is public land too so they are hush hush most times because of pressure.

"Your woodsmanship value and qualities are ten times more important than the actual calling ability."-Preston Pittman
Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2765061
03/18/19 03:19 PM
03/18/19 03:19 PM
Mobile,Al. USA
C
CreekCrosser Offline
spike
CreekCrosser  Offline
spike
C
Mobile,Al. USA
I hunt in Wilcox Co.next to the river. Been hunting this land for 15 years. I have not heard a turkey gobble since the middle of the season before last. Did not hear a single gobble last year and nothing Sat. or Sun. I am the only hunter on this land so it is not over pressured. We are not seeing the turkeys we have always seen during deer season. Before this drought I had several spots I could go at daylight and hear six or eight birds gobble. I am at a lost as to what has changed or what is different.

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: BCWhunter] #2765087
03/18/19 04:01 PM
03/18/19 04:01 PM
Kentucky
L
lances Offline
6 point
lances  Offline
6 point
L
Kentucky
Today was first day on the lake here in ky they really thundered. Pretty cool catching stripers on surface listening to birds gobbling lol

Re: Birds not gobbling [Re: ikillbux] #2765101
03/18/19 04:16 PM
03/18/19 04:16 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL

I hunt public land...........I want him to Gobble once. ONCE. just so I can get an idea where he is. Then I want him to SHUT THE HELL UP before anyone else figures out where he is. I got on a beard a couple of years ago (didn't kill him) and he gobbled his fool head off for the better part of an hour. The first gobble, I was grinning ear-to-ear. The 2nd one, I was smirking thinking "oh yeah, I got ya now". After that, I got increasingly angry at him with every gobble. I found him, he just kicked my azz and ended up busting me trying to get too aggressive.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.