</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ZEISS CONQUEST V4
by extreme heights hunter. 05/06/24 01:54 PM
McWhorter .45 XML muzzlelaoder and accessories
by daylate. 05/06/24 01:30 PM
Framed Duck Prints - Woodies and Canvasbacks
by Rem870s2. 05/06/24 12:20 PM
ISO Brush Mower
by ducky25. 05/06/24 10:02 AM
Browning X-Bolt Speed SPR in 300 PRC
by FastXD. 05/06/24 08:03 AM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 05/07/24 07:43 AM
Springtime and refreshin' your Clorox stump
by marshmud991. 05/06/24 05:08 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Snuffy. 05/06/24 03:28 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by Overland. 05/06/24 02:53 PM
Velvet
by Turkey_neck. 05/04/24 09:13 AM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (trlrdrdave, BPI, UARandy3, Fleahopmayor, timberwolfe, green river 123, Ol’Tom, mdavis, Beer Belly, Downwind, Geeb, IMISSALDEER, J_K, SharpSpur, Stacey, donia, hosscat, William, Goatkiller, Shaneomac2, GomerPyle, thayerp81, CeeHawk37, Peach, Jotjackson, chevydude2015, FastXD, jwyatt, Raven, ParrotHead89, slippinlipjr, 7PTSPREAD, blade, crenshawco, Dean, NVM1031, RidgeRanger, HBWALKER14, twaldrop4, Ray_Coon, Turkey, mossyback, bamadwd, snakebit, Andalusia, Fishduck, biglmbass, gatorbait154, johnv, AU7MM08, Chaser357, dtmwtp, bamaeyedoc, foldemup, Fishstick, Hunting-231, COOTER, salock, Frankie, odocoileus, BearBranch, limabean, STALKER8, Squadron77, canichols424, Lil_Fella, Mdees, Tree Dweller, BrentsFX4, brushwhacker, Chiller, courseup, Canterberry, kyles, MadMallard, CCC, KHOOKS, Rockstar007, desertdog, hippi, stl32, Young20, BC_Reb, augasman, DEDTRKY, WEMOhunter, Turberville, Okatuppa, jeffhhub, Roondog, longshot, !shiloh!, Alb, Mbrock, MikeP, Calvin, RareBreed, gobbler, shootnmiss, Dog, Clayton, sw1002, bamafarmer, zwick, MarksOutdoors, chill, akbejeepin, MurphySimmons, 8 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Hogwild] #2652188
11/25/18 10:38 PM
Land of the free because of th...
mike35549 Offline
12 point
mike35549  Offline
12 point
Land of the free because of th...
Originally Posted by Hogwild
So, you consider yourself an honest and ethical Hunter.

But, you don’t follow the State Regulations on Game Check????

It does not work that way!

You can not be an honest ethical hunter if you don't us GC, kill more than 3 bucks etc etc. no diffrent than spotlighting, hunting out of season or any other game law you make a effort not to follow.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough.
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Out back] #2652190
Alabama
3FFarms Offline
ALDEER SPONSOR
3FFarms  Offline
ALDEER SPONSOR
Alabama
Originally Posted by Out back

I wear purple socks and paint houses on the moon.
What the hell has that to do with the price of eggs in Nantucket?

Possibly signature worthy.

Originally Posted by CNC
Ya'll are just overthinking it now

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Out back] #2652205
11/25/18 10:47 PM
11/25/18 10:47 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Originally Posted by Out back
Originally Posted by Hogwild
Do you pay the tax on gasoline at that station. Yep.

I wear purple socks and paint houses on the moon.
What the hell has that to do with the price of eggs in Nantucket?

nothing because pancakes dont have bones

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652244
11/25/18 11:24 PM
11/25/18 11:24 PM
Al
T
Turkeyjery1 Offline
3 point
Turkeyjery1  Offline
3 point
T
Al
All this talk about deer numbers, I think the numbers
Of around 18,000 being checked is closer than most hunters
think . I have hunted pretty much every day since season started.
I have seen a lot of does most with twin fawns.But I have only heard
a hand full of shots.I hunt a really good area near Maplesville.I also
hunt near Billingsley another popular hunting area. With that being said
I have yet to see any trucks with deer on back . It could be not as many
hunters as in years past with all these new laws, is really ruining our sport.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652271
11/26/18 12:20 AM
11/26/18 12:20 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
I think the majority are being reported also.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Mbrock] #2652335
11/26/18 07:53 AM
11/26/18 07:53 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted by Mbrock
I wonder what percentage of deer never go to a processor. I know we used to never take anything to one. We occasionally do now only to ave speciality items made, but do most ourselves. I wonder how many ppl still clean and store their meat at home without processing. I bet it’s nowhere near as many as it used to be. I know a lot of hunters who couldn’t process a deer if you showed them how step by step.

Matt, I used to process all of my own deer, without exception. Now, I have found a processor I like, so I take all my deer in now, it's just so much easier and they do a pretty good job.

I can only speak for our club, but 100% of our deer are taken to a processor. We have as many or more deer on our property than we've had, at least since I've been in the club (7 years) but we are killing fewer. We are becoming more selective in the deer we kill. I sat on a 1 acre greenfield last week, which I don't often do, but I saw 16 deer in one evening, 9 does/little ones and 7 bucks (4 with racks), and I never raised my gun. There were 11 deer on the field at one time (7 bucks and 4 does).

I pay to be in a club with low pressure. If you look at GC numbers, ours are not that great. We killed a LOT more deer when we had more members. Now that our membership is less than half of what it was, we don't kill that many. As more and more private land is being managed for quality and quantity of deer (I know those two are somewhat at odds with each other), I think the GC numbers may not accurately reflect the deer densities.

Maybe we are atypical, but we use GC to report our deer, we take all our kills to the processor, and we are killing fewer deer than we did in the past, out of choice. Even if the limit was raised, that would not affect our kills. In our case, I'm not sure if there is any useful data being obtained through GC???

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: mman] #2652338
11/26/18 08:00 AM
11/26/18 08:00 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by mman
I wonder what percentage of deer never go to a processor. I know we used to never take anything to one. We occasionally do now only to ave speciality items made, but do most ourselves. I wonder how many ppl still clean and store their meat at home without processing. I bet it’s nowhere near as many as it used to be. I know a lot of hunters who couldn’t process a deer if you showed them how step by step.

Matt, I used to process all of my own deer, without exception. Now, I have found a processor I like, so I take all my deer in now, it's just so much easier and they do a pretty good job.

I can only speak for our club, but 100% of our deer are taken to a processor. We have as many or more deer on our property than we've had, at least since I've been in the club (7 years) but we are killing fewer. We are becoming more selective in the deer we kill. I sat on a 1 acre greenfield last week, which I don't often do, but I saw 16 deer in one evening, 9 does/little ones and 7 bucks (4 with racks), and I never raised my gun. There were 11 deer on the field at one time (7 bucks and 4 does).

I pay to be in a club with low pressure. If you look at GC numbers, ours are not that great. We killed a LOT more deer when we had more members. Now that our membership is less than half of what it was, we don't kill that many. As more and more private land is being managed for quality and quantity of deer (I know those two are somewhat at odds with each other), I think the GC numbers may not accurately reflect the deer densities.

Maybe we are atypical, but we use GC to report our deer, we take all our kills to the processor, and we are killing fewer deer than we did in the past, out of choice. Even if the limit was raised, that would not affect our kills. In our case, I'm not sure if there is any useful data being obtained through GC???

Questions for you: Does or has the cost of processing been a deciding factor into whether or not to shoot a deer? What's about average cost of processing?

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652353
11/26/18 08:14 AM
11/26/18 08:14 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I’d guess that compliance is very low……Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the GC police and don’t care if you report it or not…….but I rarely ever see anyone record their deer or even mention anything about calling it in after we find them. Maybe they do later on but I doubt it. They’ll never be anywhere close to full compliance. If you believe that then you’re out of touch with a portion of the hunters of this state. I figure after about 5 years or so the percentage of people who are going to report their kills will level out and you’ll likely get close to the same compliance year after year. At that point you could probably start comparing trends after another 5 years but what if compliance continues to tick upwards?? . It’ll likely take a decade at minimum before anything of value comes out of it.

Last edited by CNC; 11/26/18 08:16 AM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: centralala] #2652356
11/26/18 08:15 AM
11/26/18 08:15 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted by centralala

Questions for you: Does or has the cost of processing been a deciding factor into whether or not to shoot a deer? What's about average cost of processing?

Processing cost is not a factor for us as far as I know. Just for standard processing, including letting them skin and gut the deer, costs about $75 or so for a doe and maybe $10-15 more for larger deer. Of course, specialty items can drive the price up. My limiting factor is how much deer I eat. Now that we are empty nesters, we eat fewer deer. I plan to kill 3 or maybe 4 deer this year. I have killed 2. We have several members that probably won't even kill one.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: CNC] #2652365
11/26/18 08:28 AM
11/26/18 08:28 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted by CNC
I’d guess that compliance is very low……Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the GC police and don’t care if you report it or not…….but I rarely ever see anyone record their deer or even mention anything about calling it in after we find them. Maybe they do later on but I doubt it. They’ll never be anywhere close to full compliance. If you believe that then you’re out of touch with a portion of the hunters of this state. I figure after about 5 years or so the percentage of people who are going to report their kills will level out and you’ll likely get close to the same compliance year after year. At that point you could probably start comparing trends after another 5 years but what if compliance continues to tick upwards?? . It’ll likely take a decade at minimum before anything of value comes out of it.

You may be right, but who really knows? I helped a lady this past week find her 1st buck and she recorded it without me even knowing. Later she mentioned has quick and easy GC was. If they've called you in, and you find their deer, I'm sure GC is the last thing on their mind. I even forgot till I was on the way to the processor's with one of my deer and I pulled over and completed it. Look, I hunt with a few, for lack of a better term, rednecks, and was surprised when they checked theirs in.

I am guessing, but I bet that compliance is very low for people who hunt their own land or non-club private or family land, especially if they process their own.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Mbrock] #2652381
11/26/18 08:50 AM
11/26/18 08:50 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
I know of ONE processor who’s taken in over 3% of the total recorded harvest. I don’t think 18,000 is even close.

OK, I WAY misunderstood this. That's why I was so astounded. I read it as 3% OVER 18,000 not 3% OF 18,000. I knew 3% OVER 18,000 at one processor was unrealistic.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: mman] #2652385
11/26/18 08:52 AM
11/26/18 08:52 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by CNC

You may be right, but who really knows? I helped a lady this past week find her 1st buck and she recorded it without me even knowing. Later she mentioned has quick and easy GC was. If they've called you in, and you find their deer, I'm sure GC is the last thing on their mind. I even forgot till I was on the way to the processor's with one of my deer and I pulled over and completed it. Look, I hunt with a few, for lack of a better term, rednecks, and was surprised when they checked theirs in.

I am guessing, but I bet that compliance is very low for people who hunt their own land or non-club private or family land, especially if they process their own.

I think you nailed it with that last sentence. I was amazed at the number of people who didn't have a way to record their buck kills, even years after the buck limit had started.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652397
11/26/18 09:04 AM
11/26/18 09:04 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
So,is compliance still very low??? As some have read in a different thread, there has been a conversation on restocking deer. I have quoting from a DCNR book published in 1965. Here is a quote about restocking but may apply to any laws.

"Laws without public support are practically useless and in spite of seasons and bag limits, the deer population continued to decline throughout most of the state."

So, in 1965 the DCNR knew laws without public support were practically useless. Would GC fall under this??

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: centralala] #2652418
11/26/18 09:33 AM
11/26/18 09:33 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
So,is compliance still very low??? As some have read in a different thread, there has been a conversation on restocking deer. I have quoting from a DCNR book published in 1965. Here is a quote about restocking but may apply to any laws.

"Laws without public support are practically useless and in spite of seasons and bag limits, the deer population continued to decline throughout most of the state."

So, in 1965 the DCNR knew laws without public support were practically useless. Would GC fall under this??

What book have you got? That sounds like one I would like to read. Is there anything in there that talks about the need for the dcnr to work in partnership with landowners? That used to be mentioned often in dcnr material. I haven't heard it mentioned at all in probably 20 years.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2652431
11/26/18 09:43 AM
11/26/18 09:43 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

What book have you got? That sounds like one I would like to read. Is there anything in there that talks about the need for the dcnr to work in partnership with landowners? That used to be mentioned often in dcnr material. I haven't heard it mentioned at all in probably 20 years.

Go to General Forum. Find Virginia deer vs. Michigan. That thread itself is pretty good but Swampfever posted a cover shot of the book. And, yes, it talks about individuals buying deer for the state to release and how the landowners were a driving force in restocking. Also, Google the Marty Roney article I mention. He uses this book for his article.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652437
11/26/18 09:52 AM
11/26/18 09:52 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
And in the book we got over on Texas BIG TIME!! We swapped them our beavers for their deer.

Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652516
11/26/18 10:56 AM
11/26/18 10:56 AM
Missouri
swamp_fever2002 Offline
Administrator
swamp_fever2002  Offline
Administrator
Missouri
PCP I sent you a PM

It takes a long time to grow an old friend.
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652572
11/26/18 12:01 PM
11/26/18 12:01 PM
upatree
rulebreaker Offline
My head is in my ass.
rulebreaker  Offline
My head is in my ass.
upatree
This is the way I see it. First of all, ask the question: What is the real reason for having Game Check?
Is it some type of game harvest enforcement method placed upon the hunters, or is it some attempt to count dead deer and speculate on a population?
If it's enforcement, is it working, can it work? If it's scientific methodology, is it working, can it work?

In my opinion, it isn't working, it cannot work, it is a flawed attempt to accomplish both enforcement and science. It is simply the wrong way to do either.

The State must find a way to do deer population surveys in order to set hunting seasons for a sustainable population. This ain't it.

Then, enforce the law with boots on the ground, not some voluntary method that requires hunter participation.

We need a fresh start from the top down and somehow get the politics out of hunting regulations and laws.

Don't go looking for TROUBLE, it'll find you soon enough!

There are old, wise men and then there are just old fools. The sooner you learn this, the wiser you will be.
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652582
11/26/18 12:07 PM
11/26/18 12:07 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline OP
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline OP
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Midday on Monday we have in GC this many deer reported -- 18,162

As of midday Friday the reported number of deer was about - 15,000 +/-

In three days, roughly, on the holiday weekend when a ton of people go deer hunting and are able to take their kids hunting, only 3,000 +/- deer were reported?

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: DCNR's GameCheck Numbers for 2018-19 [Re: Clem] #2652613
11/26/18 12:31 PM
11/26/18 12:31 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted by Clem

In three days, roughly, on the holiday weekend when a ton of people go deer hunting and are able to take their kids hunting, only 3,000 +/- deer were reported?

This could be an accurate number but who knows..... I do know that on one 1500 acre lease in Mobile County there has only been two deer killed since the first day of bow season. That is the only numbers I am sure of at this point ......oh and zero killed off my 96 acres too lol

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.