</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
45/70 Brass and bullets
by murf205. 05/03/24 10:26 AM
Sako Finnlite with scope
by Sully. 05/02/24 09:25 PM
FS: CZ 600 Alpha
by Ron A.. 05/02/24 07:57 PM
Baseball Gear Marucci Cat9 31/28 baseball bat
by toyota05. 05/02/24 05:57 PM
Dirt bikes
by Ridge Life. 05/02/24 03:32 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 05/03/24 05:57 AM
Velvet
by swamp_fever2002. 05/02/24 06:48 PM
Forever wild gun regs.
by Frankie. 05/01/24 03:42 PM
Kansas draw
by booner. 05/01/24 02:56 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by demp17. 04/30/24 05:51 AM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (crenshawco, BCLC, jb20, k bush, hopper35005, cullbuck, Sixpointholler, fish251, Rip Wheeler, YellaLineHunter, burbank, BrandonClark, HappyHunter, HHSyelper, kodiak06, apolloslade, Powers, cartervj, NorthFork, okfuski, Semo, bates2rw, EYESPY, Bustinbeards, Bows4evr, coachg34, Marbury, hamma, AU338MAG, gobbler, CarbonClimber1, Stu, BACK40, BPI, 380jeff, mw2015, coosabuckhunter, dagwood, oakachoy, tucker07, Cactus_buck, Livintohunt19, IMISSALDEER, GomerPyle, PikeRoadHunter, AUSKEETER, RCHRR, BC_Reb, Gobble4me757, Stacey, MikeP, 3bailey3, kaferhaus, treemydog, Beer Belly, deepwoods44, MTeague, Jtide, brett.smith, Brent, jmj120, dirtwrk, ParrotHead89, mossyback, Brian_C, dwaugh, claybird, twaldrop4, AU coonhunter, JohnG, Austin1, Whiskey9, Bruno, AL18, Turkeyneck78, trailmix, Jtb51b, crockag, IDOT, Shane99, trlrdrdave, need2hunt, PYhunter, top cat, CeeHawk37, johnv, Spec, dave260rem!, outdoorguy88, Turberville, Ray_Coon, hallb, billrv, Hoytdad10, jarcher38, Lonster, 1bamashooter, cdaddy14, 3Gs, foldemup, Bamajoz, Todd1700, coldtrail, ts1979flh, Whild_Bill, somedude, AustinC, 11 invisible), 1,088 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460109
08/10/21 11:53 AM
08/10/21 11:53 AM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
as a YouTube turkey hunting video content creator, i've taken a conservation-minded approach to hunter recruitment -- all the ones I've gotten interested in turkey hunting suck as bad or worse than me and don't kill chit ... so i've done my part to preserve the flocks for the future ...

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: BamaGuitarDude] #3460110
08/10/21 11:54 AM
08/10/21 11:54 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Online Content
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
as a YouTube turkey hunting video content creator, i've taken a conservation-minded approach to hunter recruitment -- all the ones I've gotten interested in turkey hunting suck as bad or worse than me and don't kill chit ... so i've done my part to preserve the flocks for the future ...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GomerPyle; 08/10/21 11:55 AM.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: sasquatch1] #3460122
08/10/21 12:49 PM
08/10/21 12:49 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by sasquatch1
Dave, to your first paragraph. I agree the (old school way was disappearing) and needed to change.

However the old way wasn’t disappearing because people didn’t know how to hunt that way, like you said it’s a full on culture change. We are in the instant gratification generation. These new guys aren’t watching your videos on how to hunt, they are looking for where to hunt! While this may be the case in some scenerios, I can say with certainty it is not true in all scenerios. I have private messages explaining how much more gratifying the experience has been since they've played by the old principles. Not to mention slowing the entire celebration down to prolong the experience. And during the 4 years of the Pinhoti project, I have hunted 30 states if my quick addition was correct, so the problem lies in sending people to 30 different states across the country? I totally agree the instant gratification generation is much to blame but I'm not finding any solutions in your comment on how to curb that culture? My approach was to expose them to "the experience" rather than just the kill. But I'm open to other suggestions. We can't ignore the newest generations if we expect to keep this hunting thing around.

So, while trying to show people the right way, I feel mostly the videos just showed people it was possible. It brought out thousands of people to the sport that don’t want to hunt the old school way! All the new people attracted are mostly hunters that go against what you was trying to accomplish! Again, so the answer is? Ignore all the new hunters, shun them and worry about ourselves? Trust me, I'd love to be the lone man on the ridge day in and day out hunting "my" turkeys. But I know that is not good for the resource because I alone can not fund and care for them. Eventually, I may still be the lone man on the ridge but "my" turkeys will be long gone without hope in restoring them. For now, my only answer is to expose the new hunters to the experience, hope it sticks and potentially try to sway some of the other existing media they're attracted to to do the same. Please realize I'm not the only content for new hunters to watch. The battle against questionable methodology is constant.

Your videos showed the same people of the (new culture) confidence in trying public land. I totally agree. My videos have shown people new to hunting and old to hunting the possibilities of travel. I along with the incredible advancement in mapping software that I continuously see ignored. It's like no one wants to mention it because EVERYONE uses it, myself included. Once upon a time I would pour weeks or more into printing google maps and tracing property boundaries. Transferring gps coordinates to a Garmin with a 3" dimly lit screen then marking those same points to a wax papered national forest map took of most of my nights. The amount of effort necessary to travel to foreign soil was staggering. Now, you can literally drive down the road, watch your blue pointer and wait for the shaded region to appear. Which I find much more tasteful when compared to that "shared waypoint" chasing epidemic. And this isn't an accusation because I've been just as guilty as anyone. Just an observation that shouldn't go ignored.

There’s many like me who are definitely guilty in the sense of watching your hunts, however the ones like me were already hunting and being involved. You just gained views from my or should I say our kind as we were already on the same hunt style opinions. The NEW people youve drawn in are on the new culture side. We need the strength that comes with the numbers. I believe for us as "old hunters" should instead of hating the new hunters because frankly they're coming whether you like it or not (again, its a good thing) we should attempt to mold them into responsible sportsman. Casting them aside isn't the way. They will build resentment for our values and essentially deny them for no reason other than that, they're ours. Expose them to passing a gate that's already occupied, expose them to backing out on a gobbling turkey because someone else is already working him and expose them to the importance of turkey hunters engaging with wildlife professionals and agencies to ensure we are putting as many turkeys on the landscape as we are taking off. Who else is going to do it?

This is why the restrictions are coming in the form of opportunity not weapon restrictions, Jake restrictions or decoy restrictions. (Just a few examples) Restrictions were coming, as I stated this turkey production trend started over a decade ago. We had turkey problems before YouTube, Bookface and the Gram. We were not/ are not making enough turkeys. I'm thankful now we have the popularity for the sport to fund new research, ask tough questions to agencies and motivate NGOs to address issues that have been long building without notice. We have a supply issue. When the supply issue is resolved the demand aspect will take care of itself. I suggest we start looking at solutions to the supply issue rather than passing blame as to who is responsible for the demand surge. Both are necessary for what we love.

I appreciate your comment. I have attempted to address each point with my perspective. I challenge my way of thinking daily- am I doing the right thing? what could I change to do better? should I reconsider this? should I abandon that? My approach is always up for tailoring. Again, that's why I engage in forums such as this one when many would not due to their overall toxicity.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Richard Cranium] #3460123
08/10/21 12:50 PM
08/10/21 12:50 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Thanks for sharing your side Dave. I think you'll find a majority of the finger pointers are just negative by nature. If you look at some of their post history they rarely have anything positive to say. I look forward to many more of your videos.

These forums can be incredibly toxic, no doubt. I'm hoping we can construct some positivity here though.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Johnal3] #3460128
08/10/21 12:59 PM
08/10/21 12:59 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by Johnal3
Says a lot about you to show up and try to dodge some of these “stones” that have been hurled at you. I agree with some, such as increased pressure that all youtubers bring. It’s possible it could’ve happened without it, but it sure didn’t help. Sure seems that duck hunting got so popular and went down hill after “Duck Dynasty” advertised it so much, along with ducks unlimited, etc etc. It doesn’t seem that duck recruitment has changed much for the good and the amount of hunters I bet has quadrupled at least since the 90’s.
The personal attacks? Well, we already know what we need to about those people.
The worst part about increased pressure to me is, I don’t know that we can change the guys sticking a decoy in a field they’ve had pictures of gobblers in for the last month and killin the fool out of them day after day. Now, that’s a legal way to hunt, and anybody that says anything about it is just a “holier than though” asshole. It’s hard not to think that lack of gobbling doesn’t come from a lot of this going on. I hate more rules and regs, so I don’t make to make it illegal, I just wish people wouldn’t go kill turkeys to see how many they can take pics of and post on social media and act like they’ve done something more than monitor a camera, spend money on scratch feed, and pull the trigger when he comes running across the food plot. It just doesn’t seem to be the “right” way that I learned….which is just another opinion. Hopefully you can have some good conversations and see both sides and maybe take something helpful away.

I agree. Legalities are a fine line in which we must toe during this time of turkey population troubles. I'd rather not see anyone's tactics infringed upon but for the sake of the resource I'm afraid it must be so. It's an alternative to loosing days and bag limits, my solely unscientific opinion. If we were making a surplus of turkeys it wouldn't need to be considered hence the reason I believe that should be our primary focus. Most critics of my position taunt the same "for sake of the resource," some are genuine (the reason I'm here) but most are not.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: ridgestalker] #3460135
08/10/21 01:12 PM
08/10/21 01:12 PM
Lower AL
K
k bush Online content
12 point
k bush  Online Content
12 point
K
Lower AL
Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Originally Posted by k bush
Here's a novel idea, if it's within the regs, why don't the social media guys buy a trapping license and hit the WMA's etc during furbearer season and run a line for nest predators ? Then promote that idea, publish it. Maybe some followers will take it up and do the same. Combine it into a scouting/trapping trip to add personal value. A side benefit, is that increased license sales and trapping equipment sales leads to increased P-R funds available to the states.

I'm seeing more private lands guys wanting to learn trapping and start setting steel. You're not going to make any money doing it, but every brood that is successfully hatched gives at least a small chance that there's one or two gobbling birds make it. As recruitment expands so does hunting opportunity.

Maybe the state should allow us to trap on WMA during turkey season. It’s open state wide on coons and coyotes and would be taking them out at the perfect time. Right now you have to stop Feb 28 which makes no sense and very few people do it.

I understand the issue with stopping earlier and the voids being filled by other predators. But, removing a number of nest predators lowers the overall density so nesting success should improve to a point. I’m a believer in raise more turkeys to have more turkeys.

"Cull" is just another four letter word...
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460136
08/10/21 01:16 PM
08/10/21 01:16 PM
Spanish Fort
TurkeyJoe Offline
10 point
TurkeyJoe  Offline
10 point
Spanish Fort
My main frustration is with the lazy management practices recently put in place throughout most of the turkeys range. The easiest target for regulation is legal gobbler harvest. This is being done, in my opinion, so the agencies can be seen as “doing something “. More poults are produced by trapping predators, and those extra turkeys are fed and kept healthy by planting chufas. These things cost money. Private land owners and leasers pay for it, because they love turkeys and turkey hunting. Imposing stricter regulations on legal gobbler harvest lowers incentive for the folks to spent their time and money. Less coons dead and less chufas planted. Easy solutions present themselves, such as using some of the corn lottery money on a bounty for coon and possum tails. Every turkey manager knows this will have a real-time, positive impact on poult recruitment, but the geniuses in charge of the resource will laugh you out of the room for mentioning it. Dave, I would personally like to see you use your platform to promote sound management practices, such as burning, trapping, and planting. Maybe it will help, but I think the DNR leadership (at least in Bama) are just like the rest of the politicians. They are in love with the sound of their own voice. Keep doing whatever you want to do, this is America. But don’t be surprised when the ol boys get ill watching you give away for free what they had to spend a lifetime earning.

Micah 6:8
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460163
08/10/21 02:10 PM
08/10/21 02:10 PM
Covington County
Squeaky Offline
12 point
Squeaky  Offline
12 point
Covington County
Dave I appreciate you taking the time to come on here to share your prospective with this group. I do not know what the right answers are as I can see both sides of the coin. I personally think the increased pressure/numbers of hunters are a bad thing for the public land hunter and dwindling turkey population for many of the reasons already pointed out. I honestly feel sorry for the guys that only have public land to hunt. If that were my only choice these days, I'd go back to bass fishing.

I could get on board with increasing hunter numbers if these state agencies were truly using the surplus money generated for land purchase and research to find the answer to the problem, poult production!! I have seen several very educated people fail to bring that to the forefront when the opportunity was available to do so! With that said, I feel like the state of Alabama currently has the most incompetent leader in our game and fish departments history of existence. Under his leadership the state of Alabama is screwed in my personal opinion.

The game and fish agencies across much of the country have become politized and it's very unfortunate. Money is wasted and robbed, therefore never being utilized for the research and things you mention. Most states can't afford to hire CO's to enforce the current regulations on the books. I simply do not see the money generated from increased hunter recruitment/license sales being utilized for the necessary things that it should be used for.

I am one of the very people that cast shadow towards the turkey doc "Chamberlain". The man and his work simply do not impress me. He has spouted off a hypotheses (Dominate Gobbler) that is unproven!!! Several state agencies has taken this hogwash as the gospel and ran with it. He is one of the very folks that failed to mention poult recruitment as the number one issue with a declining turkey population. Until these state agencies and biologist bring that glaring issue to the forefront, they will never fix the problem. Arkansas is a prime example, adjusting hunting season and bag limits have failed them miserably. Why do these state agencies continue to throw the same crap against the wall and hope it sticks??

I will no longer support the NWTF because of what they have become. I will not support TFT for the simple fact I asked them how my money would be spent if I contributed to their cause. Never received a reply from those folks. Also their mission statement is vague and along the same lines as the NWTF. I personally want to support a group that their mission is to get answers to poor poult recruitment. I don't think working with state agencies that are politized will accomplish much in the current environment.

Out of all this that has taken place there is one positive, I've learned that we aren't producing turkeys, my eyes have been opened to that fact. I need to do more to help the turkeys on the property I control. In my personal opinion a little bit of effort can make a difference.

Last edited by Squeaky; 08/10/21 02:24 PM.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Atoler] #3460169
08/10/21 02:30 PM
08/10/21 02:30 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by Atoler
I used to always look forward to your “recaps” on GON 15 years ago. You and DJ were my inspiration to begin the public land super slam. When you started pinhoti, I was all aboard, because the content was relatable. At the time, I didn’t realize the repercussions that were to come. I’d imagine you may be in this same boat. I’m not one to call names, or pretend to know your motivations. Did the pursuit of the slam cause the world of turkey hunting to become more fulfilling for you? not the actual slam per say- but the nature of traveling to far of destinations to lock minds with a foe that was so familiar? I'm assuming that answer is yes because it did for me. Should I feel guilty for exposing someone who may have been in your (or my) shoes to that fulfilling experience much the way you were during those early GON days? Keeping it all for myself feels selfish. I want everyone to have that same feeling of accomplishment when I "strike gold" after tirelessly working over maps of far away land. Is that wrong? Maybe. It's still out for debate I suppose.

So here is the problem. Your intentions may have been to showcase the correct way to pursue these birds. It didn’t work. The new people are largely more worried about their social media pictures of fanned out gobblers, than the way they got them there. The old people hunt how they always have. The difference is this. You and THP have now given both groups the roadmap and incentive to travel in droves. When you combine that with Covid allowing those folks the freedom to travel, we’ve got a perfect storm. Think back 10 years ago. You and I both know plenty of fanatical turkey hunters in Georgia and Alabama. How many of them travelled and hunted public land? Almost none. So were are still assuming having more turkey hunters is a bad thing? You had certain people that would run to Texas or Nebraska every year and hunt private land, but otherwise stay in their home states. Today? You can be dang near to Canada in may, and there’s more people from Mississippi hunting than there used to be total hunters over the entire season. Places tend to be specifically harmed, when y’all showcase them. I’m sure that is part of the reason Chubbs has jumped off the bandwagon. His backyard has been showcased by you, catman, THP, the untamed, etc. As you know, there’s 10x the oosers now, compared to 5 years ago. Same for a lot of specific states. Chubbs is featured less due to logistics for 1, we are no longer neighbors. And secondly, because he doesn't like holding a camera. Simple as that. In order to create content you have to be mindful of a camera- he didn't like the camera as much as he'd thought and the ship sails on. We look forward to hunting together when the opportunity arises but we are both tunnel-visioned turkey hunters once spring arrives and seldom entertain anyone's plans but our own. Our opinions concerning social media and turkey hunting align more than they don't. In short, we both agree in many respects its degrading the thing we love most (why Pinhoti was created). My approach is to introduce positive influence into the space rather than letting the degradation run ramped. I'm unsure what his approach would be but I can't imagine sending social media on it's own course could be productive for our past time. As for pressure, no doubt it has increased. Glance back at my original response for the multitude of additional reasons why traveling to turkey hunt has exploded although I am not denying the fact YouTube has its influence. Videoing your hunts comes with responsibility. I refuse to allow anyone else to edit my content due to that fact. Being able to release more content would benefit me greatly. Unfortunately it's not an option, I will not allow it to happen simply because I intend to protect the areas I hunt. It's my responsibility to have first hand knowledge of what's going out for the public eye. Without local knowledge, I would find it extremely difficult to believe anyone can find my location with one exception.

So, at what point does the negative overtake the positive? Is it when our opportunities are cut back, because of record out of state pressure? Is it when you are dang near to Canada in late may, and can’t find a place to park because of all the Mississippi tags? So we are going to point fingers at a craze that started 3/4 years ago for a trend that originated a decade ago? I agree with the correlation. But it's just a correlation. Can we say for sure states would have not made these same decisions if YouTube didn't exist? No. My opinion is these changes were coming because again, our poult per hen numbers started tanking a decade ago. We have a turkey factory problem. Hens are not carrying enough poults to adulthood. If we concentrate on figuring out why that is the supply will match our demands and no one will lose opportunities nor will tactics be questioned.

If I really saw an influx of new hunters who revered a long beard like I do, I could get on board with you. Then I urge you realize that the negatives glare exceedingly brighter than the positives. I promise. Turkey hunting has gained popularity from a league of appreciative souls as well. They can be found if you look. I have a friend I can tell is on the fence about social media/ YouTube and made a statement that, "I can get behind what you do to a certain extent because I got this young kid that's started joining me in the mountains that's new to the game but he wears your hat, has a bicycle and a no-quit attitude. Plus he says people who use decoys are *expletive.*" While I don't want to pit any tactic against another, I do appreciate that he noticed the journey to killing a gobbler is much more enjoyable than the act itself. If I saw public lands being added, or turkey habitat being better managed because of license sales, I could get on board. But neither of those is happening. I don't know how else to approach this rather than saying that's entirely untrue. I suggest you look at fwc.com at the amount of acreage improved in Florida specifically for turkeys the past 2 years due to the sale of their turkey permit (hint- it's in the millions). Arkansas introduced a VOLUNTARY stamp that was a huge success because the concern for turkeys is a front runner for mind space currently. Rumor has it if you're an AL resident, more property is on it's way (I have no confirmation to point you toward at this point, maybe make a call?). This popularity of turkey hunting has research initiated across the country that could have possibly gone "undone" had it not been for the increase in spending power and influence of the newly motivated crowd. That research in itself could give us answers to our supply issue. There is SO MUCH good. But, a pessimistic attitude only views the glass half empty. I'm guilty as well. I am not denying the fact that on my initial observations I see much the same as you.

I don’t blame you, or really expect you to step back. Your livelihood is now tied to continuing to believe, that the positives of Pinhoti outweigh the negatives. I really believe that you’re having the opposite effect than what you intended. These migrating masses of hunters, may kill turkey hunting culture forever. As opportunities become more regulated, public lands become more crowded, and hunter satisfaction diminishes, I fear that places like Alabama and Georgia will soon have the turkey culture of Idaho or Maine. My question in response, without these masses of hunters- who is going to fund the conservation of our resource? who's voice is going to challenge the threats from ill-informed government officials who encroach on our right to hunt? or encroach on our hunting opportunities without well advised truth and reason for that matter? It is a complex balancing act I don't have the answers to. We have a demand without a matching supply. For now, I'm putting faith in our agencies to do the balancing with what little science they have. Whether I like it or not, until more answers are provided- this is the card we as sportsman must play.

I have addressed most of the concerns with another perspective that probably does nothing but create more questions. That's kind of the way I find every issue surrounding this goes. For every answer I think I am coming up with, another 2 questions originate. I hope my responses aren't seen as combative. We share many of the same concerns. I've just tossed and turned for hours at night while I should have been sleeping, trying to approach these issues from every angle attempting to make the correct choices.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460177
08/10/21 02:43 PM
08/10/21 02:43 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Online content
GomerPyle  Online Content
Northport, AL

The important question is....Does Dave Owens put sugar in his cornbread?

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Gobl4me] #3460182
08/10/21 02:53 PM
08/10/21 02:53 PM
Georgia
Cove Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Cove  Offline
Turkey Slayin Mosheen
Georgia
Originally Posted by Gobl4me
I appreciate the response and truly believe in the beginning the intentions were pure to some degree. However, it’s not worked the way you thought and that is apparent. It wasn’t anti-hunters or big city liberals that would take away our hunting opportunity and specifically public land hunting opportunities …….it was our very own. Men have been traveling the country for years hunting turkeys and keeping it under their hat. Turkey hunting is secretive by nature (or was). Now I’m not sure we can undo what’s been done. I know statistically we can look at license sales and specifically non-resident license sales since the rise of pinhoti project and thp the connections is easily made… the data is also clear to game managers around the country.
Again, correlation. Not causation. There are many factors at play here. I will accept some of the blame. But I will not apologize for motivating or creating more turkey hunters. Another viewpoint, the increase in turkey hunters will save our opportunities. Turkey numbers once upon a time were thought to be, "mission accomplished, they'll take care of themselves from here on out." The current environment says that belief was a mistake. Our invigorated crowd has pushed turkeys to the top of the species in which agencies and wildlife professionals will funnel their attentions. And it's very likely that the mistakes of the past may never happen again.

To address your other mention that I though was interesting concerning the "secrecy" of turkey hunting. Many point to the likes of Tom Kelly, Gene Nunnery, among others in telling the tales of old turkey hunting. Thank goodness these gentlemen had the foresight to realize without the distribution of the knowledge and understanding they acquired over lifetimes of hunting- the potential for that hunting to withstand the test of time was bleak. They used pen and paper which we have now replaced with keyboards. They used the social media of their era to administer the principles and traditions that should govern turkey hunting. How could one that kills turkeys, speaks lightly and recruits no one be productive for our sport? That should be viewed as pure selfishness. I'm thankful the before mention authors were not of that crowd.

Again, this response is not intended to challenge or attack. I'm providing my stance regardless of how skewed some may feel my intentions are.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Squeaky] #3460214
08/10/21 03:55 PM
08/10/21 03:55 PM
Lower AL
K
k bush Online content
12 point
k bush  Online Content
12 point
K
Lower AL
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Dave I appreciate you taking the time to come on here to share your prospective with this group. I do not know what the right answers are as I can see both sides of the coin. I personally think the increased pressure/numbers of hunters are a bad thing for the public land hunter and dwindling turkey population for many of the reasons already pointed out. I honestly feel sorry for the guys that only have public land to hunt. If that were my only choice these days, I'd go back to bass fishing.

I could get on board with increasing hunter numbers if these state agencies were truly using the surplus money generated for land purchase and research to find the answer to the problem, poult production!! I have seen several very educated people fail to bring that to the forefront when the opportunity was available to do so! With that said, I feel like the state of Alabama currently has the most incompetent leader in our game and fish departments history of existence. Under his leadership the state of Alabama is screwed in my personal opinion.

The game and fish agencies across much of the country have become politized and it's very unfortunate. Money is wasted and robbed, therefore never being utilized for the research and things you mention. Most states can't afford to hire CO's to enforce the current regulations on the books. I simply do not see the money generated from increased hunter recruitment/license sales being utilized for the necessary things that it should be used for.

I am one of the very people that cast shadow towards the turkey doc "Chamberlain". The man and his work simply do not impress me. He has spouted off a hypotheses (Dominate Gobbler) that is unproven!!! Several state agencies has taken this hogwash as the gospel and ran with it. He is one of the very folks that failed to mention poult recruitment as the number one issue with a declining turkey population. Until these state agencies and biologist bring that glaring issue to the forefront, they will never fix the problem. Arkansas is a prime example, adjusting hunting season and bag limits have failed them miserably. Why do these state agencies continue to throw the same crap against the wall and hope it sticks??

I will no longer support the NWTF because of what they have become. I will not support TFT for the simple fact I asked them how my money would be spent if I contributed to their cause. Never received a reply from those folks. Also their mission statement is vague and along the same lines as the NWTF. I personally want to support a group that their mission is to get answers to poor poult recruitment. I don't think working with state agencies that are politized will accomplish much in the current environment.

Out of all this that has taken place there is one positive, I've learned that we aren't producing turkeys, my eyes have been opened to that fact. I need to do more to help the turkeys on the property I control. In my personal opinion a little bit of effort can make a difference.

Mike, I appreciate your voice on this issue and know that your actions back up your words. I can't comment on Dave's message because I have watched less than 30 minutes of his product and none of THP or the others mentioned. I just don't watch any hunting shows either on over-the-air or internet. I do watch videos from the likes of Dr Grant Woods and videos from the MSU Deer Lab and some that Dr Craig Harper has been a part of. I've also recently taken to listening to podcast from some of those just mentioned and others in the realm of habitat management and trapping.

From personal experience I've seen what an aggressive nest predator removal program can do. On a river bottom property that always had turkeys to seeing no flocks in the fall for years and only hearing a few birds gobble in the spring. After removing 150 nest predators in a year seeing at least 2 hens with 19 poults the following spring. Continued trapping and now see turkeys in good numbers but nothing like the past. Recruitment is the key. Hopefully I can get fire in the areas where it's appropriate and herbicide applications in the areas that cannot be burned.

"Cull" is just another four letter word...
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460223
08/10/21 04:05 PM
08/10/21 04:05 PM
Spanish Fort
O
ozarktroutbum Offline
10 point
ozarktroutbum  Offline
10 point
O
Spanish Fort
It's not as much "Dave Owens" that is causing the issues. If you were to ask me this 3-4 years ago my answer would have been different, though.

Personally, I HATE the YouTube culture and the way hunting has become a part of it. I long for the days when you could only watch hunting via the outdoor channel or by buying videos at the store. There's no way in hell the hunting video folks (real tree, primos, mossy oak, etc) are putting out those videos on the shelf like they used to. They are all on YouTube now.

I hate how the public land concept has been glorified and I hate the way Dave has done it along with all the other characters that are YouTube famous.

Some folks only have access to public land. Some folks have access to private land, but choose to spend their days hunting at the WMA's because its more fashionable to post your kill pics in front of the gate.

Don't kid yourself. The majority of the videos is about THE KILL...and making sure everyone sees it, and how you do it. Turkey hunting is difficult and you are exceptionally good at it. I'm not saying you're not providing good insight regarding other topics along the way, but that really does not appear to be the focus of the videos from the ones I have seen.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460247
08/10/21 04:51 PM
08/10/21 04:51 PM
Longwood, FL
J
jlbuc10 Offline
Booner
jlbuc10  Offline
Booner
J
Longwood, FL
I now live in the quota hunt world being that I live in Florida. I’ve hunted both turkey and ducks on quota and non quota land. The hunting is infinitely better in the quota hunt areas. The quota turkey hunt I went on this year looks exactly like the habitat I hunt in open permit places. It is comparable in size and they don’t do anything different habitat management wise. On the quota hunt I heard at least 12 different birds in 2 days and my buddy and I both killed mature birds. Only 2 weekends are open for this quota and 7 birds were killed off this property. I hunted about 10 days on 3 different open permit wma’s and only heard one gobble and saw 2 hens the entire time. Habitat type is comparable, location is similar, habitat management is the same. The only difference is the amount of hunters they allow and the harvest numbers. If days of the season and killing turkeys isn’t a factor in population why is there such a large difference in the quality of the hunt on quota vs non quota hunts? It makes sense to me at least in what I’ve witnessed that killing less turkeys and hunting less days improves the quality of hunting on WMA’s. It makes since to me that shortening the season and lowering bag limits would clearly improve the population. IMHO I would rather go on 1 great turkey hunt a year than go on 10 where I don’t see or hear anything.

Last edited by jlbuc10; 08/10/21 04:52 PM.
Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460282
08/10/21 06:04 PM
08/10/21 06:04 PM
Piney Ridge
G
Gobl4me Offline
6 point
Gobl4me  Offline
6 point
G
Piney Ridge
And more quotas, shorter seasons, lower bag limits, and further nonresident/public land restrictions are being done to offset the flood of people brought to our local wmas/national forests by YouTube hunters loose lip policy. The data is clear as day. And game managers around the country go on far less information to make decisions I promise you. Many concerned hunters speaking out are either past or present dnr employees myself included. Your taking away my public hunting opportunity because you want to hunt for a living. You may be hunting and filming for no charge but their is a price to be paid. We are reaping what you’ve sown. And frankly the money being made vs the damage done to public turkeys/hunter opportunity isnt close to equal. Turkeys and Turkey hunters are being sold out for pennies on the dollar frankly. And it’s a shame. You dang well know it too.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460286
08/10/21 06:06 PM
08/10/21 06:06 PM
Smuteye
O
Orion34 Offline
4 point
Orion34  Offline
4 point
O
Smuteye
Cove, please help me understand what “good for the resource” — an expression you use repeatedly— means to you. It ain’t like turkeys are on the verge of going extinct. They exist over a wider area and in places where they never did before. They are not going to disappear if you and the rest of us stop hunting them. Sure, I’d like for them to be more numerous, but that’s me and that’s me imposing my values, not necessarily what is good for turkeys.

How are you doing what’s good for the resource???

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460342
08/10/21 07:22 PM
08/10/21 07:22 PM
865 Offline
spike
865  Offline
spike
Raising money for gobble counters and tagging hens to see where they go and where they don’t isn’t getting it done. The research is done on what it takes to produce more turkeys. If you manage the property for turkeys, everything benefits. The doc’s research won’t let him say predator control= more turkeys but it will let him say a delayed season or one less male bird killed a year will. The money raised by hunters’ dollars, directly or indirectly, should be put into what is proven throughout history to work. The state already has the equipment and pays the personnel. Buy the diesel and the land it takes and manage it to support a wild turkey instead of the rabbit thickets that infest most of the south. Give timber company incentives to burn their properties that blanket the south. I live around public land that is maintained through burns and tsi on regular basis, and is as crowded as any I’ve seen, yet the turkey numbers are there. They are educated and hard to kill, but there are turkeys everywhere. There’s private land across the south that are hunted harder and that kill way more gobblers than any wma and they aren’t running out of birds to hunt.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460354
08/10/21 07:30 PM
08/10/21 07:30 PM
Sylacauga
doecommander Offline
things that make you go hmmmmmmm
doecommander  Offline
things that make you go hmmmmmmm
Sylacauga
My only question is what happened to a Chubbs? The videos went way downhill without him……

doecommander out...........................

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: doecommander] #3460375
08/10/21 07:47 PM
08/10/21 07:47 PM
Helena
3toe Offline
Talking Turkey
3toe  Offline
Talking Turkey
Helena
Originally Posted by doecommander
My only question is what happened to a Chubbs? The videos went way downhill without him……

He answered that in one of his posts above.

Re: Meet and greet with Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) [Re: Southwood7] #3460538
08/11/21 03:35 AM
08/11/21 03:35 AM
Alabama
OlTimer Offline
10 point
OlTimer  Offline
10 point
Alabama
I'm a third generation turkey hunter. I have been chasing them for over 5 decades myself. I have read this entire thread. You seem like a nice guy and I have watched some of your videos as well as Catman, THP, etc. You did not recruit me as a hunter. I have friends that have been traveling for decades hunting public land and their story is all the same. Public land is quickly being ruined for turkeys by the amount of newbies. They all see it as an exploitation of a public resource paid for by taxpayer dollars. More turkey hunters does not equal more turkeys. I wish you well and hope your not mad but I see you doing more damage than good to a sport that has been a part of me, other relatives, friends, my Father and Grandfather's lives.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.