</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Youth Model Remington 7
by Runningdeer. 05/14/24 09:40 PM
Little Giant Megalite ladder
by Rem870s2. 05/14/24 06:33 PM
2012 Club Car with gas engine
by longshot. 05/14/24 05:51 PM
How to pay Skinny
by Ben Cochran. 05/14/24 03:31 PM
Christensen arms 308
by frankj. 05/14/24 02:58 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Taxidermist called
by Big Game Hunter. 05/15/24 12:13 AM
Tennessee
by jawbone. 05/14/24 11:24 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by TDog93. 05/13/24 09:11 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/12/24 07:06 PM
Ohio record typical
by Big Bore. 05/12/24 04:47 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Who's Online Now
12 registered members (Auburn_03, pvillehunter, BC, 7mmSTW, deadeye48, Rockstar007, Gobl4me, CatfishJunkie, Exhoosier, coosabuckhunter, Tree Dweller, 1 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494013
05/28/18 05:28 PM
05/28/18 05:28 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Yea those people are crazy too I bet

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494014
05/28/18 05:29 PM
05/28/18 05:29 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...

Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

The only other explanation that I can think of for such different attitudes is that all of us in AL are just rednecks, and the rest of the country is totally different from us. There might be something to that idea too. smile

laugh I am sure that had something to do with it preacher. To me turkey hunting is sacred. As sacred as a recreational activity can be anyway. I posted on another thread that there is a right and a wrong way to hunt turkeys and I firmly believe that. Now I didn’t pick up a turkey call until I was almost 30 years old so where did I learn to respect the wild turkey.... from other turkey hunters in this state, a lot of them on this forum. There is a culture here in Alabama that reveres the wild turkey and I hope it never changes!

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: lectrode] #2494085
05/28/18 07:10 PM
05/28/18 07:10 PM
Piney Ridge
G
Gobl4me Online content
6 point
Gobl4me  Online Content
6 point
G
Piney Ridge
Originally Posted by lectrode
Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Well and then there's some on the other hand who take it way too serious. Like waaaaay too serious

Then you have those that claim they don't hunt them at all.

And others that don't kill 5 in 45 days

Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: Gobl4me] #2494150
05/28/18 08:16 PM
05/28/18 08:16 PM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
Originally Posted by Gobl4me
Originally Posted by lectrode
Well and then there's some on the other hand who take it way too serious. Like waaaaay too serious

Then you have those that claim they don't hunt them at all.

And others that don't kill 5 in 45 days

I don't hunt them at all.
And I don't ever kill a limit.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494179
05/28/18 08:47 PM
05/28/18 08:47 PM
Butler
X
xarcher Offline
3 point
xarcher  Offline
3 point
X
Butler

My theory has always been that low limits and short seasons keep most states from ever developing good turkey hunters and a turkey hunting culture. I have always thought the AL system was far more beneficial to the resource. When people consider their turkeys a treasure, they will do everything they can to help them thrive. I hate to see us moving in the direction of being like other states. Instead of copying them, we should be preaching to them and helping them understand that AL has the best system for the resource.

As a nonresident, I could not agree more. Your longer season and 5 bird bag limit has cultivated a passion and obviously a more experienced turkey hunting population. More tags=more chances=more experience. The down side though, from what I can read from the posts, is it's tough to gain permission to hunt, leases cost thousands of dollars and public land gets overrun.

I live in PA, which does not allow Sunday hunting, half of our season is AM only, we get 1 tag with our license but can get a second one for $25. Quite a difference from AL. PA has a healthy population but i think our low bag limit is in part driven by a much higher number of licensed hunters. The silver lining though is getting permission to hunt private land is easy and after the first week of the season, the woods are empty. And I honestly don't know anybody around here that leases property to hunt turkeys.

Oh and one other thing comparing turkey hunting culture/passion. The ALDEER turkey hunting contest has somewhere near 100 entrants. The PA equivalent of ALDEER (HuntPA) doesn't even have a contest.

People have more fun than anybody.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494295
05/28/18 10:48 PM
05/28/18 10:48 PM
God's Country
S
Swampdrummin Offline
4 point
Swampdrummin  Offline
4 point
S
God's Country
The game is changing out west and other places. It’s not what it used to be as far as the willingness of people to let you go kill their “pests”. Land is getting leased, birds are being saved for friends or family, etc. For sure the culture is not the same as Bama but in a way it never can be due to a variety of reasons. Still, turkeys will be the new grouse or pheasant fairly quickly once they get established. The writing is on the wall. There will be a “deer hunt” them culture if anything. There already is really and it is on its way to growing from a quirk to a local custom.

I’ve noticed the same thing in the vein of skill level as preacher. Other states have such a limited season or such different habitat that the majority of hunters there will never develop the skill set of an Alabama hunter. I hunted one public tract in a mid-west State I won’t mention with a bunch of gobbling turkeys. Hunters there were happy to sit in fields with decoys while birds gobbled all around them. I was happy to run and gun bouncing from one bird to the next until I got it done. Edit: last time I hunted it I had the first bird ever shot out from under me. It’s moving along.

Last edited by Swampdrummin; 05/28/18 11:00 PM.

Quack quack.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494322
05/29/18 04:11 AM
05/29/18 04:11 AM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
If this all true, then I would like to lower our bag limit to ONE and shorten the season.
We've created a turkey hunting fad, just like deer hunting, and now we have waaaaay too many morons trolling around with an owl hooter. Personally I think PA sounds like a turkey hunters dream.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: Out back] #2494388
05/29/18 07:53 AM
05/29/18 07:53 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline OP
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline OP
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by Out back
If this all true, then I would like to lower our bag limit to ONE and shorten the season.
We've created a turkey hunting fad, just like deer hunting, and now we have waaaaay too many morons trolling around with an owl hooter. Personally I think PA sounds like a turkey hunters dream.

I think Chuck sees it the way you do and wants to take us in that direction. He thinks more people will hunt if it's easy and he will sell more licenses. Since AL already has this culture, I don't think it will work very well. We have created too many Frankenstein turkey killers, and if they perceive that the regulations are unreasonable they will ignore them. We are already seeing some of that, and there would be a whole lot more if we copy PA.

Over time, as the Frankenstein types die out, more people would likely follow the law. And then I think we would see the fallacy of government trying to regulate more turkeys into existence. If people can't hunt them, the turkeys won't exist at the levels we have them now. The typical paper company land has a few turkeys on it, but good turkey habitat requires human intervention. I kill a few every year, but I think I grow way more than I kill, and that benefits everyone around me. All of that will stop if I can no longer hunt them.

Or maybe not. It could be that there is nothing that could be done by the government at this point to stop Frankenstein. Outback, I don't think it's just a fad here. Obsession is not a strong enough word either.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494412
05/29/18 08:11 AM
05/29/18 08:11 AM
northport
deadeye48 Online content
Booner
deadeye48  Online Content
Booner
northport

I think Chuck sees it the way you do and wants to take us in that direction. He thinks more people will hunt if it's easy and he will sell more licenses. Since AL already has this culture, I don't think it will work very well. We have created too many Frankenstein turkey killers, and if they perceive that the regulations are unreasonable they will ignore them. We are already seeing some of that, and there would be a whole lot more if we copy PA.

Over time, as the Frankenstein types die out, more people would likely follow the law. And then I think we would see the fallacy of government trying to regulate more turkeys into existence. If people can't hunt them, the turkeys won't exist at the levels we have them now. The typical paper company land has a few turkeys on it, but good turkey habitat requires human intervention. I kill a few every year, but I think I grow way more than I kill, and that benefits everyone around me. All of that will stop if I can no longer hunt them.

Or maybe not. It could be that there is nothing that could be done by the government at this point to stop Frankenstein. Outback, I don't think it's just a fad here. Obsession is not a strong enough word either.

I'd say a way of life is the words youre looking for.

When I need expert advice I tend to talk to myself
The older I get the better I used to be
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494421
05/29/18 08:23 AM
05/29/18 08:23 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
IF....IF we go the direction of other states and say a 1 bird limit, how much habitat enhancement and predator control would landowners/Turkey hunters be willing to do for 1 bird? I don't know but I do know it would not increase the efforts. Probably decrease and I just can't see where decreased efforts will benefit the game animal whether we are talking turkey, deer, or whatever.

Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: centralala] #2494443
05/29/18 08:57 AM
05/29/18 08:57 AM
Lee County, Alabama
dBmV Offline
12 point
dBmV  Offline
12 point
Lee County, Alabama
If we were to go to a one bird limi
Originally Posted by centralala
IF....IF we go the direction of other states and say a 1 bird limit, how much habitat enhancement and predator control would landowners/Turkey hunters be willing to do for 1 bird? I don't know but I do know it would not increase the efforts. Probably decrease and I just can't see where decreased efforts will benefit the game animal whether we are talking turkey, deer, or whatever.

If we were to go to a one bird limit you would definitely see a drop in people buying turkey memberships in clubs or just turkey rights. This would make it more expensive for deer only hunters. Probably causing some of them to drop their leases because it's almost too expensive already. I know I wouldn't do a whole lot of work just to improve the turkey habitat just for one bird. I would be forced to spend my lease money on out of state trips for sure. How would that be good for hunting in Alabama?

What you do today, you have to sleep with tonight.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: Gobble4me757] #2494461
05/29/18 09:15 AM
05/29/18 09:15 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Online content
Freak of Nature
BC  Online Content
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Originally Posted by Gobble4me757
I had a guy pull up on us out of state, and he proceeded to tell us to kill them all. He was saying to shoot em from the truck in the tree or whatever it takes.

I've had similar experiences with multiple landowners up there. I've had old ladies stop us on the street while walking to the store in camo in the Midwest and the conversation normally goes like this: "What you huntin? Me: Turkeys, Her: I hope you kill all those sons a ******!". Seriously.... I've had that conversation with a 90 year old woman in Nebraska. We tagged out one time and informed the landowner we were going to be leaving the next morning. That landowner tried to convince us to stay and hunt some more at no charge and when we informed him we were out of tags he told his wife to fire up the printer and print us out another 1000 tags. Told us to shoot them and throw them in a ditch if we didn't want to keep them.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494475
05/29/18 09:24 AM
05/29/18 09:24 AM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Heck you don't have to go to the Midwest. Lots of TN thinks that way too

I'm the paterfamilias
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494516
05/29/18 09:53 AM
05/29/18 09:53 AM
Behind you
Avengedsevenfold Offline
10 point
Avengedsevenfold  Offline
10 point
Behind you
PCP: define "Frankenstein" hunters

Lol

Carrying a gun isn't comfortable; but at times it is comforting

"Cause the cause for the pause you think you see is really concentration on the steel” NonPoint
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494519
05/29/18 09:56 AM
05/29/18 09:56 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
We stopped at a local ranch in Ne to ask about property lines down the road. A bird was gobbling about 200 yards from the house the whole time we were talking to the owner. He just out and said ya'll can park behind the barn in the morning and kill that bird if ya want. We hadn't even gotten to the asking permission part yet.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: Out back] #2494527
05/29/18 10:04 AM
05/29/18 10:04 AM
Butler
X
xarcher Offline
3 point
xarcher  Offline
3 point
X
Butler

Wow. I woulda never thought I'd hear an AL turkey hunter say that. But you got me thinking a little more about PA. I tagged my first one early in the season, then put my second tag on hold until this week. In the mean time, I was out with wife/son/friends just so I could hunt without filling my second tag. Even had a chance to double one day with them but passed thinking it might be more fun to come back and fool with him some other day. All this without crossing paths with another hunter or paying a lease.

Or maybe we are both caught up in the grass-is-always-greener syndrome and maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

People have more fun than anybody.
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: xarcher] #2494596
05/29/18 11:24 AM
05/29/18 11:24 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by xarcher

Wow. I woulda never thought I'd hear an AL turkey hunter say that. But you got me thinking a little more about PA. I tagged my first one early in the season, then put my second tag on hold until this week. In the mean time, I was out with wife/son/friends just so I could hunt without filling my second tag. Even had a chance to double one day with them but passed thinking it might be more fun to come back and fool with him some other day. All this without crossing paths with another hunter or paying a lease.

Or maybe we are both caught up in the grass-is-always-greener syndrome and maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

Never said he was going to stop at one. He just wants the woods thinned out of hunters. We all would like to have 5000 acres all to ourselves and then we can discuss that limit of one.

Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: centralala] #2494734
05/29/18 02:23 PM
05/29/18 02:23 PM
Clanton
Turkey_neck Offline
Booner
Turkey_neck  Offline
Booner
Clanton
Originally Posted by centralala
Originally Posted by xarcher

Never said he was going to stop at one. He just wants the woods thinned out of hunters. We all would like to have 5000 acres all to ourselves and then we can discuss that limit of one.

That's right "what limit"

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!
Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: 257wbymag] #2494786
05/29/18 04:04 PM
05/29/18 04:04 PM
Land of dixie
R
Rockhound Offline
6 point
Rockhound  Offline
6 point
R
Land of dixie
Heck you don't have to go to the Midwest. Lots of TN thinks that way too

I wish I could find some of those people up here

Re: How other people view turkeys [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2494849
05/29/18 05:10 PM
05/29/18 05:10 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
They're not far from you.

I'm the paterfamilias
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.