</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso box blade
by kntree. 04/25/24 11:31 PM
Leupold vx freedom
by twaldrop4. 04/25/24 09:50 PM
WTB/WTTF Browning MK3 DBM 308
by Sendero558. 04/25/24 07:29 PM
1999 Scout 162 with Yamaha 90 2 stroke
by billrv. 04/25/24 07:02 PM
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
7 registered members (CAL, CCC, Alb, Big Rack, kyles, sloughfoot, coosabuckhunter), 1,106 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346282
12/27/17 11:43 AM
Covington County
Squeaky Offline
12 point
Squeaky  Offline
12 point
Covington County
No sir!! The "NO" turkey hunting the month of March would be a deal breaker for me no doubt about it. Also the amount of pressure by small game/hog hunters from Oct - Dec could possibly ruin the deer hunting for the month of Jan. and 10 days in Feb.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346285
Hoover (poor section)
J
Johnal3 Offline
it froze over
Johnal3  Offline
it froze over
J
Hoover (poor section)
No. Put regular dates in for turkeys and I’d think about it. Especially if no other turkeys hunters were in it.

Originally Posted by BPS
This is Aldeer! The place people come to vent their frustrations and completely change their stance a few minutes later... grin
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346289
12/27/17 11:44 AM
12/27/17 11:44 AM
LA
sloughfoot Online content
4 point
sloughfoot  Online Content
4 point
LA
Yes, but only if family ( immediate) applied to deer and turkeys as well. I would be willing to pay 1500 or so a year under these rules. My children are not old enough to deer and turkey hunt yet but down the road I want to be in a club where they have the opportunity.

Re: Would you? [Re: 3toe] #2346295
12/27/17 11:52 AM
12/27/17 11:52 AM
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen
James Offline
Freak of Nature
James  Offline
Freak of Nature
Gee's Bend/At The Hog Pen

Originally Posted By: 3toe
Two thumbs down.

How many people am i willing to sacrifice for freedom?
Everyone. All of them...

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346305
12/27/17 12:00 PM
alabama
J
judge sharpe Offline
8 point
judge sharpe  Offline
8 point
J
alabama
Yes, if it had enough quail to warrant keeping pointers. The cost would depend on the open acreage that I could follow the dogs over. I would join a club exclusively for small game, with limited deer hunting. As the small game seasons are out, turkey hunting would be great, especially since they can co-exist with quail and other small game. For enough land to support 20-30 coveys I would spend the same as you spend on a deer lease. I enjoy deer hunting, but I really miss a good quail hunt with wild birds and good dogs.
Kids today are taken out to sit in a deer stand way too early in my opinion and they never learn how to hunt. A good squirrel hunt will teach a child more about how to hunt than sitting in a stand, playing a video game on his phone and just waiting for a deer of some kind to walk into the green field and stop to eat the "supplemental deer feed (corn)". How does he (or she ) learn to spot an animal in the woods, to slip silently from tree to tree and pause to listen and see, and how to hit a moving squirrel off handed? To watch a bunch of beagles hit a hot rabbit track and start baying? Or how not to mess his pants when a covey of 20 quail flushes right under his feet, and how to work with his dog to find singles?
Sure deer hunting can be a wonderful experience, but how many will experience being dropped off on your stand deep in the river bottom, with an icy fog settling low along the ground? and by stand I mean a tree that you stand by on ground level. then you hear the whoops and the dogs as the drive starts, you are there alone, and you know that it is up to you to put your shotgun up when the deer magically appear, some running hell for leather, but then again there is the big racked buck slipping around waiting for the dogs to go by. The best time to spot a deer on a dog hunt is when the morning coffee hits and you lean your gun against a tree and have just started to take a well deserved piss, then ol' ten point runs by so close that you could touch him and you wet your pants and cotton long johns trying to grab your gun, and you drop it and when you get it up and and swing and shoot and miss your heart almost bursts. And maybe a spike is just behind him and maybe you get him but probably not because you are still breathing too hard from the one you missed first. Then you wait for the wagon to come by to take you to lunch and a nap maybe before going back out at late afternoon, and watch the dark sift in and the ground fog sends it tendrils between the trees and an owl starts up and everything is as quiet as a funeral home,
And if you do get one you get your shirt tail nailed to the barn and everyone claps you on the back, and if you shoot and miss, you bend over the table with the men and get a lick with a boat paddle for scaring the deer and everyone laughs. And you know you are a man ( an young man who still does the dishes and carries the fire wood and cleans the deer) among men. But still too young for a snort from the mason jar.
Man, that was deer hunting, and it's gone now.
Hunting deer over green fields and corn is deer killing, but won't make a hunter of you or you boy.
But to each his own. I would not take todays deer hunting away from my grandson for anything. But he will never know the joy of hunting in the old days when deer were scarce and rabbits and quail and squirrels ruled.
Happy New Year Brothers
Judge

Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees
Stonewall Jackson
Hug your loved ones often, Life is short even on its longest days.
I don't see the glass as half full or half empty. I just finish it and order another.
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346307
Madison County
bobwallace Offline
10 point
bobwallace  Offline
10 point
Madison County

Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346312
12/27/17 12:08 PM
12/27/17 12:08 PM
KY
AUstan23 Offline
10 point
AUstan23  Offline
10 point
KY
Nah

It is easier to fool a man than to convince him he has been fooled.
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346322
12/27/17 12:13 PM
12/27/17 12:13 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Heck no! You took away bow season and two weeks of turkey season.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346356
12/27/17 12:37 PM
12/27/17 12:37 PM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline OP
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline OP
Booner
E
Prattville AL
The response is exactly what I expected. The mighty whitetail and turkey rule the outdoors in Alabama.

I do think our kids are missing out on learning a lot about the outdoors though. I grew up chasing squirrels, rabbits, dove, and quail. Kids start out deer hunting nowadays and never get to enjoy all the small game.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346366
12/27/17 12:45 PM
Sylacauga
CAL Online content
14 point
CAL  Online Content
14 point
Sylacauga
Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
The response is exactly what I expected. The mighty whitetail and turkey rule the outdoors in Alabama.

I do think our kids are missing out on learning a lot about the outdoors though. I grew up chasing squirrels, rabbits, dove, and quail. Kids start out deer hunting nowadays and never get to enjoy all the small game.

I agree with you but I’m guilty of starting my kids out with deer also. Not because I wanted to skip the small game but just because I no longer hunt them myself except the occasional squirrel in the yard. They are content with chasing deer around so I’ll consider that a success for now.

Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346367
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
I've been thinking about it. Not 5,000 acres though.

I'd do it in a heartbeart if it was 100 acres of dove fields/habitat, 200 acres of swamp/flooded timber/beaver ponds, and 2-300 acres of briars to keep rabbits and quail in.

Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346402
12/27/17 01:35 PM
12/27/17 01:35 PM
Fosters, Alabama, USA
Shaw Offline
Administrator
Shaw  Offline
Administrator
Fosters, Alabama, USA
Nope

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." Captain Woodrow F. Call

ShawBuilt Custom Bowstrings
Re: Would you? [Re: judge sharpe] #2346435
12/27/17 02:09 PM
12/27/17 02:09 PM
Walker county
Driveby Offline
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Offline
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
Originally Posted By: judge sharpe
Yes, if it had enough quail to warrant keeping pointers. The cost would depend on the open acreage that I could follow the dogs over. I would join a club exclusively for small game, with limited deer hunting. As the small game seasons are out, turkey hunting would be great, especially since they can co-exist with quail and other small game. For enough land to support 20-30 coveys I would spend the same as you spend on a deer lease. I enjoy deer hunting, but I really miss a good quail hunt with wild birds and good dogs.
Kids today are taken out to sit in a deer stand way too early in my opinion and they never learn how to hunt. A good squirrel hunt will teach a child more about how to hunt than sitting in a stand, playing a video game on his phone and just waiting for a deer of some kind to walk into the green field and stop to eat the "supplemental deer feed (corn)". How does he (or she ) learn to spot an animal in the woods, to slip silently from tree to tree and pause to listen and see, and how to hit a moving squirrel off handed? To watch a bunch of beagles hit a hot rabbit track and start baying? Or how not to mess his pants when a covey of 20 quail flushes right under his feet, and how to work with his dog to find singles?
Sure deer hunting can be a wonderful experience, but how many will experience being dropped off on your stand deep in the river bottom, with an icy fog settling low along the ground? and by stand I mean a tree that you stand by on ground level. then you hear the whoops and the dogs as the drive starts, you are there alone, and you know that it is up to you to put your shotgun up when the deer magically appear, some running hell for leather, but then again there is the big racked buck slipping around waiting for the dogs to go by. The best time to spot a deer on a dog hunt is when the morning coffee hits and you lean your gun against a tree and have just started to take a well deserved piss, then ol' ten point runs by so close that you could touch him and you wet your pants and cotton long johns trying to grab your gun, and you drop it and when you get it up and and swing and shoot and miss your heart almost bursts. And maybe a spike is just behind him and maybe you get him but probably not because you are still breathing too hard from the one you missed first. Then you wait for the wagon to come by to take you to lunch and a nap maybe before going back out at late afternoon, and watch the dark sift in and the ground fog sends it tendrils between the trees and an owl starts up and everything is as quiet as a funeral home,
And if you do get one you get your shirt tail nailed to the barn and everyone claps you on the back, and if you shoot and miss, you bend over the table with the men and get a lick with a boat paddle for scaring the deer and everyone laughs. And you know you are a man ( an young man who still does the dishes and carries the fire wood and cleans the deer) among men. But still too young for a snort from the mason jar.
Hunting deer over green fields and corn is deer killing, but won't make a hunter of you or you boy.
But to each his own. I would not take todays deer hunting away from my grandson for anything. But he will never know the joy of hunting in the old days when deer were scarce and rabbits and quail and squirrels ruled.
Happy New Year Brothers
Judge

This is one of the most awesome posts I have read on here.

Last edited by Driveby; 12/27/17 02:10 PM.

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: Would you? [Re: Driveby] #2346458
12/27/17 02:20 PM
12/27/17 02:20 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted By: Driveby
Happy New Year Brothers
Judge

I agree! Except for the part where the creepy old men spank the teenage boy. That part was awkward... Yeah I didn't grow up hunting at that place.

Re: Would you? [Re: Driveby] #2346482
12/27/17 02:32 PM
12/27/17 02:32 PM
AL
C
Cummins Offline
4 point
Cummins  Offline
4 point
C
AL

Happy New Year Brothers
Judge

X2...I remember em well. They gone !

Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346500
12/27/17 02:44 PM
12/27/17 02:44 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Only if bowhunting was allowed up to Jan. 1 or does said land have a sizable wild quail population?

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Would you? [Re: Cummins] #2346513
12/27/17 02:49 PM
12/27/17 02:49 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Originally Posted By: Cummins

Happy New Year Brothers
Judge

X2...I remember em well. They gone !

Here speaks a man who has truly lived!!!!
OMG how I miss those days and the wild rush of emotions that they brought!!

Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346517
12/27/17 02:50 PM
12/27/17 02:50 PM
Athens, GA
W
WildlifeBiologist Offline
10 point
WildlifeBiologist  Offline
10 point
W
Athens, GA
Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
Kids start out deer hunting nowadays and never get to enjoy all the small game.

Every man puts his priorities exactly where they are. If it is a high enough priority to parents/grandparents, then they will provide small game hunting experiences for the budding young hunters in the family.

Last edited by WildlifeBiologist; 12/27/17 03:01 PM.

Micah 6:8
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346529
12/27/17 02:54 PM
12/27/17 02:54 PM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
No. I enjoy squirrel hunting and wish I had more time to enjoy it. It makes you a better hunter IMHO. I'm also scouting for early season deer and I've seen many deer through the years slippin' through the woods looking for tree rats. But I'm not going to give up half of my deer season for small game.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Would you? [Re: ElkHunter] #2346540
12/27/17 03:03 PM
12/27/17 03:03 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
I would not have a problem with a club like that. I basically have already reduced my Alabama hunting to Jan 1 through February 10 already. Now if I lived in the Northern end of the State with an earlier rut I would probably have a problem with it.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.