</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
FS: ROCK ISLAND ROCK ULTRA FS 10MM 1911
by FreeStateHunter. 05/15/24 06:59 PM
FS: Savage 110 Trail Hunter in .243
by FreeStateHunter. 05/15/24 06:54 PM
Kimber Montana 84m 308
by jb20. 05/15/24 12:43 PM
Truck for Sale - Possibly 2
by Turkeyhunter12. 05/15/24 09:13 AM
Looking for Youth Model Remington 7
by Runningdeer. 05/14/24 09:40 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Research Update
by abolt300. 05/15/24 03:36 PM
Tennessee
by jawbone. 05/15/24 12:24 PM
Taxidermist called
by Big Game Hunter. 05/15/24 12:13 AM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by TDog93. 05/13/24 09:11 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TDog93. 05/12/24 07:06 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (CCC, Morris, Lonster, Blindluck, bhammedic84, Tree Dweller, StateLine, straycat, mcninja, Gulfcoast, eskimo270, deadeye48, 1 invisible), 1,337 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE #1736823
05/12/16 02:45 AM
05/12/16 02:45 AM
Auburn University
S
Steve Ditchkoff Offline OP
8 point
Steve Ditchkoff  Offline OP
8 point
S
Auburn University
Quite a while back I indicated that I would supply future updates regarding the wild pig research at Lowndes WMA that is being conducted by Auburn in conjunction with ADCNR. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to supply any updates, and I was gently reminded of that a few days ago. I apologize for not doing so. Anyway...here is a general update on what has transpired during the past 12-18 months with regards to the research. Keep in mind that the objective of this research is not to remove pigs, but rather to understand wild pigs in the context of a removal effort. Removal is just part of the experimental process.

The WMA is naturally split into 2 large sections (Northwest and Southeast) that are approximately 8,000 acres each. Auburn is targeting the north section as a removal area with the objective of making it pig-free. We are doing this very slowly because of the need to understand how pigs are moving in response to our removals. In other words...what happens to surrounding sounders when you remove an adjoining sounder? Here is what we have found...

- The population estimate of wild pigs before removal began on the north area was approximately 60 pigs that were in 7-8 sounders. The population estimate of wild pigs on the south area was closer to 100 pigs that were in 9-10 sounders. Since those original estimates, we have collected additional data and been able to refine our estimates of the number of sounders. There are closer to 10 sounders in the north area, and probably closer to 12 in the south area...but, estimates of the total number of wild pigs on both sites were very close.

- Using GPS collars we have been able to closely monitor the movements of many of these sounders throughout the year. We have found that there is not a lot of overlap in space use of sounders, which is similar to what was found in our research at Fort Benning. While the sounders at Lowndes tend to move about the landscape a bit more (they are less confined to a rigid "territory") than those at Benning, the data we have collected so far indicate that they are still rather sedentary in movement. The belief that they are regularly travelling off of the area to agricultural fields, or moving distances of several miles in a night have not been supported by the data to date. Additionally, the presence of hunters during deer season, turkey season, or pig hunts has done nothing to alter their space-use patterns. But, please keep in mind that our analysis of movement patterns is in its very early stages and we won't be able to say anything conclusive for a few more years (sorry...but it's a ton of data to analyze, and we are far from finished collecting it.

- The wild pigs on the north area have home ranges that are about twice the size of those on the south area, but movements within those home ranges follow the same pattern. In other words, the sounders seem to be fairly committed to the space they use.

- We believe that we are very close to having all of the pigs removed from the north area. We know where the remaining pigs are, and how many are there. Our hope is to have them removed in the next few weeks, but a few of them are proving to be fairly educated. This is likely due to a lifetime of dealing with traps, further education by our team (trapping and collaring sows), and fairly heaving hunting pressure on the area. I don't have a completely current update from the crew on how many are actually remaining as of writing this email, but I'm fairly confident that it is around 15. While you may be wondering why it has taken us so long to remove the pigs, remember our research objectives...understand patterns of space use and responses of wild pigs to removal, so as to understand the impacts of whole sounder removal. In other words...we have intentionally not trapped for most of the past year so that we could monitor the response of the pigs on the WMA and in surrounding areas to our removal efforts.

- We are in the process of collecting data on white-tailed deer and turkey densities, with the objective of examining the impacts of wild pigs on these species. There are some very strong beliefs among the general public and the scientific community that wild pigs are negatively impacts both deer and turkeys. However, there really aren't any data available to determine whether or not there is an impact, much less the degree of impact. Hopefully we will be able to shed some light on these questions.

- There are other aspects to the research as well, but I suspect that they will be less interesting to this group so I'll refrain from getting into those aspects.

Keep in mind as we move forward that this is a long process. The entire study is designed to take 5 years form start to finish, and so it will be a while before we can really say anything that is conclusive. Unfortunately that is the reality of the scientific process in many cases...particularly when you are dealing with a large mammal such as wild pigs, and the necessity exists to collect data over multiple years. Combine that length of data collection with reams and reams of data that need to be analyzed, and you have a long process. Fortunately the team that we have working in the field is as good as they get, and they have years of experience conducting research with wild pigs.

Realize that what I have provided you is just and update, and is not intended to be concluding information on what is happening at Lowndes. In essence, it's a snapshot of what we believe is occurring at this time based upon the data we have collected so far. Please don't take what I've written, nor these data, and publish them. If you're interested in putting together an official article for distribution, please either contact me or one of the other individuals associated with the research so that we can provide the most up to date and accurate information possible.

I'm confident that there will be a lot of people on this forum that "know for a fact that we're wrong"...as has always been the case whenever I've posted anything on ALDEER. I'm also confident that what I've posted will generate a lot of curiosity and thoughtful questions. I'll try and get back on here now and again during the coming days to answer some of them, but please understand that I probably can't devote the time necessary to answer all of them...I hope that you understand.

Steve

Steve Ditchkoff
School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1736832
05/12/16 02:55 AM
05/12/16 02:55 AM
Right behind you
Mbrock Offline
Fancy
Mbrock  Offline
Fancy
Right behind you

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1736912
05/12/16 04:55 AM
05/12/16 04:55 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline
Booner
E
Prattville AL
I do have a couple of questions if you have the time.

Were traps the only method of removal or were some shot via hunters and/or from project employees using thermal optics?

I understand the trap the entire sounder theory, how are ya'll addressing the boars traveling separate from the sounders?

Thank you for your update and time.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05/12/16 05:13 AM.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737016
05/12/16 07:40 AM
05/12/16 07:40 AM
Columbia, SC
CeeHawk37 Offline
10 point
CeeHawk37  Offline
10 point
Columbia, SC
Pretty cool stuff. Going to be interesting to see what comes out of this study when it is finished.

Are the sounders you guys are monitoring using only the WMA or are groups that use the WMA and surrounding properties counted in there as well? Just curious as to what factors are used to qualify the study population.

Thanks for posting doc. Always enjoy getting a look into the research being done with wildlife.

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737024
05/12/16 07:46 AM
05/12/16 07:46 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Thanks very much for the update and information, Steve. Interesting and illuminating.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737026
05/12/16 07:48 AM
05/12/16 07:48 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Plain and simple, either the population estimates that have been put out in the past are grossly over-estimated......or, the population density for this project has been under-stated to influence the percentages.

That is not argumentative.....just fact.
And, I can supply many documents that are readily available on the internet that show this.

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: ElkHunter] #1737039
05/12/16 08:02 AM
05/12/16 08:02 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
I do have a couple of questions if you have the time.

Were traps the only method of removal or were some shot via hunters and/or from project employees using thermal optics?

I understand the trap the entire sounder theory, how are ya'll addressing the boars traveling separate from the sounders?

Thank you for your update and time.

A few pigs have been harvested by hunters...I don't have exact numbers, but I am fairly certain that we are in the 1-3 range. One entire sounder was trapped and eliminated by an adjoining landowner. All of the pigs that have been removed by project personnel have been trapped.

As far as boars go, we aren't overly worried about boars. We will trap them as they show up, but they are not a major focus of the control program.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737052
05/12/16 08:17 AM
05/12/16 08:17 AM
East Limestone County
N
N_AL_Slugger Offline
6 point
N_AL_Slugger  Offline
6 point
N
East Limestone County
160 pigs on 13,962 acres. Wow. Anybody wanna guess the deer population? I'd bet 350.

Thanks for the update!

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737061
05/12/16 08:32 AM
05/12/16 08:32 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Less than 5 hogs per acre!
I guess Barry is WAY off on his State Population estimate!!!!

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737085
05/12/16 09:14 AM
05/12/16 09:14 AM
J
jallencrockett Offline
8 point
jallencrockett  Offline
8 point
J
Dr. Ditchkoff,

Since research has shown that there is a small isolated population could the study change and the hogs not be eradicated. From my point of view the hogs represent a huntable game animal that adds to the enjoyment to the usage of the WMA? The hogs are present in a swamp why would / should they be eradicated?

and have the 4 lane blacktops effectively functioned as barriers for the hog dispersement?

sorry one more... What's the weight of the largest hog?

Thank you for your input..

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: jallencrockett] #1737101
05/12/16 09:38 AM
05/12/16 09:38 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
Originally Posted By: jallencrockett
Dr. Ditchkoff,

Since research has shown that there is a small isolated population could the study change and the hogs not be eradicated. From my point of view the hogs represent a huntable game animal that adds to the enjoyment to the usage of the WMA? The hogs are present in a swamp why would / should they be eradicated?

and have the 4 lane blacktops effectively functioned as barriers for the hog dispersement?

sorry one more... What's the weight of the largest hog?

Thank you for your input..

I'm not sure what you mean about a "small isolated population". But, with regards to the research, the study is designed to answer some questions about impacts of wild pigs as well as questions associated with strategic approaches to wild pig eradication programs. As a result, we won't be able to change the study.

We haven't had much data regarding any of our collared pigs leaving the WMA, so we really don't have information on the effect of highways acting as a barrier to movements.

I don't have any weight data available to me, and so can't answer your last question.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737115
05/12/16 09:53 AM
05/12/16 09:53 AM
J
jallencrockett Offline
8 point
jallencrockett  Offline
8 point
J
I infer 60 pigs on 8000 acres as a "SMALL" population. Since the pigs are not appearing to leave the WMA I would consider that to be "isolated".

Personally, I can not understand why a goal of research should be to eradicate a "WILD" population. To try to quantify the impacts of 60 pigs over 8000 acres on deer and turkey populations seems SWAGGY at best and worst.

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737130
05/12/16 10:14 AM
05/12/16 10:14 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
The pigs are being eradicated from the northern section of the WMA, but the lands around the WMA still have pigs. We are just going to work to keep that section of the WMA pig-free.

The goal of the research is not to eradicate. It is to understand how control programs can be effective and to understand the biological and ecological impacts of pigs on an area.

I am assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you are speculating that 60 pigs on 8,000 acres is a low density. If you are assuming this, and that is what you are suggesting, then I would answer you in 2 ways:

(1) If we could detect a significant biological impact from a low population, then imagine the impact that a high density population would have? So in truth, if 60 pigs/8,000 acres is a low density population (which I don't believe it is...and will address in my next point), then it is the perfect situation to address biological impacts...if we can detect effects.

(2) The 60 pigs that we have detected on the 8,000 acres translates to approximately 5 pigs/square mile. This number is actually well in line with other published scientific density estimates for wild pigs. The fact seems to be that speculation on pig density by hunters and land managers tends to far exceed actual density in most cases.

The data that we collect and the direct statistical comparisons will be far from SWAGGY. They will be detailed and presented in full view of anyone that wants to examine them when the study is complete. I would encourage you to do so when they become available. Additionally, the data, methods, results, etc will be submitted for publication in peer-reviewed outlets and so will be examined by other scientists around the country and/or around the world before our study is considered to be above board. So, I don't think SWAGGY will apply in this case.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737157
05/12/16 10:48 AM
05/12/16 10:48 AM
J
jallencrockett Offline
8 point
jallencrockett  Offline
8 point
J
Thank you sir for your clarification. Once again I would infer 60 pigs to be a small number on 8000 acres. I have seen over 60 deer on a 20 acre winter rye field in Bullock county....hence the comparison and utilization of the word small.

SWAGGY to me means it would almost be impossible to extrapolate out the impact due to the many many variables involved and in doing so results could be for the best or worst.

I managed a grant funded research facility for Auburn for 2 years and I assure you that all data needs to be heavily scrutinized due to the inherent conflict of interest between a graduate student and their lead professor. There is no way that it is not a conflict of interest in that graduate students lives are made much easier if the research data supports the lead professors grant and study goals. That is not an ethical indictment, just my understanding through experience.

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737493
05/13/16 12:02 AM
05/13/16 12:02 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Once all the hogs are eliminated, I believe you estimated that to be in the next few weeks, what will the next 3-4 years of Reaearch be on?

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737700
05/13/16 05:54 AM
05/13/16 05:54 AM
Millry,Al.
J
jwal Offline
spike
jwal  Offline
spike
J
Millry,Al.
I found a 2009 article that discussed the hog population on the Lowndes WMA. It quoted Mr. Jaworski and stated that when he started work there in 1997 he saw 2 hogs. In 1998 he saw 50/60 hogs and in 1999 the hogs had "taken over" 5000 acres.

What has been done since 1999 to control the hogs on Lowndes WMA? The hog population was less there when the project started than it was in 1999. These figures lead me to believe that either whatever control methods that were being used since 1999 were working, or the hogs aren't nearly as prolific as advertised.

Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: jallencrockett] #1737863
05/13/16 08:52 AM
05/13/16 08:52 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
Originally Posted By: jallencrockett
Thank you sir for your clarification. Once again I would infer 60 pigs to be a small number on 8000 acres. I have seen over 60 deer on a 20 acre winter rye field in Bullock county....hence the comparison and utilization of the word small.

SWAGGY to me means it would almost be impossible to extrapolate out the impact due to the many many variables involved and in doing so results could be for the best or worst.

I managed a grant funded research facility for Auburn for 2 years and I assure you that all data needs to be heavily scrutinized due to the inherent conflict of interest between a graduate student and their lead professor. There is no way that it is not a conflict of interest in that graduate students lives are made much easier if the research data supports the lead professors grant and study goals. That is not an ethical indictment, just my understanding through experience.

I appreciate your thoughts. I can honestly cay that that I don't have any goals for the research other than to answer the questions. The data will say what they will say. But, I agree with what you're suggesting...if there is a preconceived notion when entering the research, it is entirely possible to incorrectly infer that result when analyzing the data. I think that a major role of the thesis committee and the peer-review process is to ensure that this does not occur.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Hogwild] #1737864
05/13/16 08:54 AM
05/13/16 08:54 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
Once all the hogs are eliminated, I believe you estimated that to be in the next few weeks, what will the next 3-4 years of Reaearch be on?

There will be continued research on ecological parameters in an attempt to measure their response in the absence of wild pigs. We anticipate that if wild pigs are impacting the parameters we are measuring, it will take a while for any improvements in those parameters to become apparent. We will also be continuing to document and study the influx of wild pigs to the eradicated area, as well as examining the movement parameters on the south section.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: jwal] #1737867
05/13/16 08:56 AM
05/13/16 08:56 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
Originally Posted By: jwal
I found a 2009 article that discussed the hog population on the Lowndes WMA. It quoted Mr. Jaworski and stated that when he started work there in 1997 he saw 2 hogs. In 1998 he saw 50/60 hogs and in 1999 the hogs had "taken over" 5000 acres.

What has been done since 1999 to control the hogs on Lowndes WMA? The hog population was less there when the project started than it was in 1999. These figures lead me to believe that either whatever control methods that were being used since 1999 were working, or the hogs aren't nearly as prolific as advertised.

I know that there were control efforts employed by ADCNR, as well as hunting. However, I do not have the details of what exactly was done. You might have to contact Chris Jawroski to get those details as he would be much more familiar with that information.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Re: Lowndes WMA Wild Pig Research - UPDATE [Re: Steve Ditchkoff] #1737879
05/13/16 09:19 AM
05/13/16 09:19 AM
Auburn University
S
8 point
8 point
S
Auburn University
Originally Posted By: Steve Ditchkoff
Originally Posted By: Hogwild

There will be continued research on ecological parameters in an attempt to measure their response in the absence of wild pigs. We anticipate that if wild pigs are impacting the parameters we are measuring, it will take a while for any improvements in those parameters to become apparent. We will also be continuing to document and study the influx of wild pigs to the eradicated area, as well as examining the movement parameters on the south section.

I also didn't add that there is about a year of data analysis, writing, etc. It just takes a while to process all of the information and put it into a legible product.

Steve Ditchkoff
Auburn University
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.