</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
S&W MP Shield 40
by RAmerica. 05/10/24 07:45 PM
Whitworth 375 H&H
by limabean. 05/10/24 06:18 PM
Tanner baseball tee
by Joe4majors. 05/10/24 05:12 PM
Stihl SR200 Backpack Blower/Sprayer
by cdaddy14. 05/10/24 12:25 PM
Gun
by Snuffy. 05/10/24 11:43 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Kansas Bowhunt timing
by Big Game Hunter. 05/10/24 04:07 PM
Okie CWD Plan
by Big Game Hunter. 05/10/24 03:39 PM
Taxidermist called
by jdhunter2011. 05/10/24 11:56 AM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by capehorn24. 05/10/24 07:47 AM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Frankie. 05/09/24 06:23 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Looking for Turkey Hunting Land
by Nightwatchman. 05/06/24 01:46 PM
Need dozer work. Cullman area
by Trecker1. 05/02/24 02:33 PM
Looking for 24-25….Turkey land, or all game
by ALMODUX. 04/27/24 06:46 AM
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (Grokamole, bhammedic84, Tamestranger, BCLC, Tigger85, Koba, UA Hunter, AWT6, metalmuncher, 2 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The future of bass fishing #1371233
06/18/15 01:26 AM
06/18/15 01:26 AM
North Alabama
R
roscopeecotrane Offline OP
4 point
roscopeecotrane  Offline OP
4 point
R
North Alabama
I haven't been on here much in the last year or two but I wanted to post this and see how others feel. I've been helping out a high school bass fishing team. Since I have been doing this I have seen the most in considerate, ignorant, arrogant, and disrespect people I ever have in my life. From boat launch, blast offs, fishing on top of one another, hole watching, cheating at weigh ins. I can't believe with kids involved that adults are allowing this behavior to continue. I see grown folks act that wAy in other tourns or just a normal day of fishing but it's normally a smaller percentage. I'm not sure I like the direction that bass fishing is taking. What are your thoughts and opinions on the high school, college and future of bass fishing? Here is mine... When we began the high school stuff I thought it was awesome for the kids. Now, I think it's ridiculous. No one is enforcing the rules set in place and it's like a mosh pit on the water. Very dangerous at times. I think that it has no place in a school relationship. Lakes are too crowded to begin with and adults aren't teaching these kids fundamental ways to behave on the water and to respect others while fishing along with their equipment.

Luck is where preparation meet opportunity
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371251
06/18/15 02:23 AM
06/18/15 02:23 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
It's the world they are going to have to live in so there is no reason to hide it. Teach them to do the right thing and not be part of the problem. Places like Guntersville are a nightmare and there are Yankees from all over the country 365. I like this High School fishing team from what little I know about it.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371343
06/18/15 04:22 AM
06/18/15 04:22 AM
Birmingham
Aaron_H Offline
6 point
Aaron_H  Offline
6 point
Birmingham
The fact that you're concerned about the ethics of the sport shows me that you're a good role model for the high school kids. I agree that a lot of bass fishermen on big lakes are not considerate of others and are not particularly perceptive of what others are doing. Fishing from a kayak, there have been several times where I was pretty sure I was a gonner. I hate to say it, but alabama boys are just as bad as any yankees. It seems in our society people are getting more self centered and less concerned about their effects on others in general. The more you talk about the ethics of fishing and the nature of being a good sport the more these kids will hopefully not become jackasses in the future.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371388
06/18/15 05:10 AM
06/18/15 05:10 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

Maybe y'all would know this: Alabama has a high school fishing organization based somewhere here in North Alabama, I think. Right?

Is there an entry fee for each of these tournaments? How much is it per team or angler? Are the tournament hosts donating the facilities -- ramp, weigh-in site, etc. -- and any other things like a rules meeting dinner to the organization, or does a host site pay the organization a flat fee to be the host (like cities/tourism groups pay BASS and FLW)? How much is that per-tourney fee? Who gets it and what is the money used for? Anyone in the sanctioning organization getting paid and how much?

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371457
06/18/15 06:44 AM
06/18/15 06:44 AM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
I don't know about the high school circuits. I do know I stopped tournament fishing 6 years ago and started back last year. I do not get mad or up set but have been cut off more times this year than I ever was in the first 15 years I tournament fished. I can't make my self cut anyone off, I just can't do it. I have had to hollar at several people this year just to make it a point so they would at least acknowledge my existence after pulling up 30 yds in front of me. Those that a knowledge me I appreciated and they left or I did and those that did not got the idle by and start fishing at their trolling motor treatment. All my experiences have been on the coosa, I can't imagine Guntersville.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: Clem] #1371562
06/18/15 09:36 AM
06/18/15 09:36 AM
Cullman
Z
Zkd22 Offline
8 point
Zkd22  Offline
8 point
Z
Cullman
Originally Posted By: Clem

Maybe y'all would know this: Alabama has a high school fishing organization based somewhere here in North Alabama, I think. Right?

Is there an entry fee for each of these tournaments? How much is it per team or angler? Are the tournament hosts donating the facilities -- ramp, weigh-in site, etc. -- and any other things like a rules meeting dinner to the organization, or does a host site pay the organization a flat fee to be the host (like cities/tourism groups pay BASS and FLW)? How much is that per-tourney fee? Who gets it and what is the money used for? Anyone in the sanctioning organization getting paid and how much?

I can't answer all your questions but Alabama does have a high school bass fishing association. I don't know much about it but I know several people that have kids fishing and they have always wondered where the money went and so on. They said it just doesn't add up.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: Ben2] #1371565
06/18/15 09:40 AM
06/18/15 09:40 AM
Cullman
Z
Zkd22 Offline
8 point
Zkd22  Offline
8 point
Z
Cullman
Originally Posted By: Ben2
I don't know about the high school circuits. I do know I stopped tournament fishing 6 years ago and started back last year. I do not get mad or up set but have been cut off more times this year than I ever was in the first 15 years I tournament fished. I can't make my self cut anyone off, I just can't do it. I have had to hollar at several people this year just to make it a point so they would at least acknowledge my existence after pulling up 30 yds in front of me. Those that a knowledge me I appreciated and they left or I did and those that did not got the idle by and start fishing at their trolling motor treatment. All my experiences have been on the coosa, I can't imagine Guntersville.

You should go fish the Big G in a wrapped boat. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people do. Oh by the way I don't have a wrapped boat but I have been on Gville with several elite series guys. It will blow you mind how people act.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: Clem] #1371573
06/18/15 09:49 AM
06/18/15 09:49 AM
North Alabama
R
roscopeecotrane Offline OP
4 point
roscopeecotrane  Offline OP
4 point
R
North Alabama
Originally Posted By: Clem

Maybe y'all would know this: Alabama has a high school fishing organization based somewhere here in North Alabama, I think. Right? Yes there are three of them that I am aware of but none of them are affiliated with the state or officially endorsed by schools they are based out of. They are clubs, not teams.

Is there an entry fee for each of these tournaments? How much is it per team or angler? Yes per team/boat. 5 boats max per school each tourn and the cost is different from each league but are reasonable.
Are the tournament hosts donating the facilities -- ramp, weigh-in site, etc. -- and any other things like a rules meeting dinner to the organization, or does a host site pay the organization a flat fee to be the host (like cities/tourism groups pay BASS and FLW)? How much is that per-tourney fee?
From what I have been told...the cities bid on the tournaments. They pay to bid in hopes they make money on revenue from the tournament. Guntersville is left out a lot but that is because they do not need the revenue from the tourns. They already have plenty of tourns and revenue from fishing.
Who gets it and what is the money used for? The tournament directors for regions/districts get it. It is supposed to go back into the organization but remember there is no governing body such as the AHSAA that is over high school sports to regulate or monitor any of it.
Anyone in the sanctioning organization getting paid and how much? Yes they do and as far as how much that is a good question....

Luck is where preparation meet opportunity
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371612
06/18/15 10:59 AM
06/18/15 10:59 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
It is supposed to go back into the organization but remember there is no governing body such as the AHSAA that is over high school sports to regulate or monitor any of it.

Interesting, eh? No one knows where it all goes.

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371626
06/18/15 11:37 AM
06/18/15 11:37 AM
Alexander City
T
TR62 Offline
I like pretty colors
TR62  Offline
I like pretty colors
T
Alexander City
Lake Guntersville and ethics should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

It's good to see the high school kids taking so much interest in fishing. We had a big high school tourney on Martin this year with over 200 entries. At the same time, there was a fairly large local tourney and I did hear a couple stories of some of the kids cutting off the local anglers. But remember, the fathers drive the boats. Therefore, the kids are just doing what they're taught. A lot of parents nowadays will do whatever it takes to get their kids a win, in any sport. The ethics of this sport are basically the same as all of life's ethics including being courteous, respectful and having dignity in winning and losing. It's up to us to teach our kids, the next generation, those ethics. And sometimes you have to have to teach them the way Ben2 mentioned, or worse!

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1371707
06/18/15 01:50 PM
06/18/15 01:50 PM
Scottsboro, Al
J
jbatey1 Offline
Lucky Bastage
jbatey1  Offline
Lucky Bastage
J
Scottsboro, Al
What's worse- The guy who thinks he "owns" a certain spot and doesn't want anyone fishing "near" him or The guy that wants to fish "near" someone elses "spot" while they are on it?

I've never got into a cussin match with someone on the water. I have however been in the boat while one was going on. Most cases could have been avoided if either party would have put their ego aside just a little.

I'm one of the rare people on Guntersville that still has a little bit of ethics though.

The fool tells me his reasons; the wise man persuades me with my own.
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1372156
06/19/15 05:40 AM
06/19/15 05:40 AM
CHELSEA, AL
K
KEITH Offline
4 point
KEITH  Offline
4 point
K
CHELSEA, AL
Last weekend I fished Logan Martin in my kayak. right after I put in I was fishing a dock and a high school team came up and started fishing the same dock as me. I caught 2 good fish and was asked what I caught them on. I said respect and integrity if they had any in the boat give it a try. They moved around me and fished on. Less than an hour later I had another boat pull up in front of me and start fishing maybe 20 yards. I hate someone to fish on top of you or pull in front and start fishing the direction you are headed let alone them in a nice bass boat and me in a kayak. I would not do it but can not control others. It is sad but it is everywhere not just on the water. Try driving on 280. It is a me and mine attitude.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: KEITH] #1372284
06/19/15 09:01 AM
06/19/15 09:01 AM
wedowee
daniel white Offline
Booner
daniel white  Offline
Booner
wedowee
Originally Posted By: KEITH
Last weekend I fished Logan Martin in my kayak. right after I put in I was fishing a dock and a high school team came up and started fishing the same dock as me. I caught 2 good fish and was asked what I caught them on. I said respect and integrity if they had any in the boat give it a try. They moved around me and fished on. Less than an hour later I had another boat pull up in front of me and start fishing maybe 20 yards. I hate someone to fish on top of you or pull in front and start fishing the direction you are headed let alone them in a nice bass boat and me in a kayak. I would not do it but can not control others. It is sad but it is everywhere not just on the water. Try driving on 280. It is a me and mine attitude.

Was the high school already in the area fishing, or did they come in after you was fishing? And If a I ask a guy nicely what basic lure he is throwing, and he tells me that.. Yea He's fixing to hear a comment about his wife, and he aint gonna like it..... Not saying you meant any harm, but two high kids out there competing in fishing, instead of smoking dope, has my respect and integrity, right out the gate.. just my $.02

Last edited by daniel white; 06/19/15 09:06 AM.

"You do and it will be the biggest mistake you ever made, you Texas brush popper" John Wayne
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: daniel white] #1372316
06/19/15 09:42 AM
06/19/15 09:42 AM
Cullman
Climber1 Offline
4 point
Climber1  Offline
4 point
Cullman
Originally Posted By: daniel white
[quote=KEITH]... but two high kids out there competing in fishing, instead of smoking dope, has my respect and integrity, right out the gate.. just my $.02

Sorry DW, but your standards for HS kids right now is pretty low. If all it takes is to be pot free and fishing to earn respect and integrity, I shudder to think where things are headed.
It is not unreasonable to respect a fisherman or hunters "space". Its ridiculous to think it's OK for someone to come in on top of someone and fish in front of them; especially a guy in a paddle boat.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: KEITH] #1372335
06/19/15 10:14 AM
06/19/15 10:14 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
Last weekend I fished Logan Martin in my kayak.

Might as well have stopped right there.

Kayak? You're not fishing. You're just playing. Those guys in the boat are SERIOUS fishermen.

Oh, you're crappie fishing under the bridge and don't like my "almost idle but I'm not going to completely idle through" wake rocking you? Tough crap. I'm doing some SERIOUS fishing in my bass boat and you're just crappie fishing.

Oh, you're wading in this shallow pocket for bream? I'm going to cast all around you. I'm doing some SERIOUS fishing in my bass tournament and you're in the way. Well, you're really not in the way because I'm going to cast around you but anyway ...

Have seen or heard all of this. Some of y'all have experienced it. Some may have done it. I've been in the boat with guys in a tournament who were driving and pulled into a spot near someone that made me feel uncomfortable. When I said something, MY partner said "it's public water." I didn't like it and said so. Didn't matter. So I stopped fishing and had a sandwich.

Decent ethics and morality often go out the window when money and ego are involved, whether it's 17-year-olds or 67-year-olds. With the former, however, they usually see the examples of adults and follow suit.

Now ... a guy pulls up in a tournament and says, "Excuse me, I'm in a tournament and would like to fish this one specific point-boathouse-dropoff-whatever for a few moments, and then I'll leave. Do you mind?" and if I'm not in that derby then I'll probably say, "Hell yeah, knock yourself out and I'll sit and watch and learn something." Then if he doesn't leave, I'm joining him cast for cast.

Being nice shouldn't stop at the boat ramp.

Last edited by Clem; 06/19/15 10:15 AM.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: roscopeecotrane] #1372383
06/19/15 11:58 AM
06/19/15 11:58 AM
Birmingham
Aaron_H Offline
6 point
Aaron_H  Offline
6 point
Birmingham
Its tough as a kayak angler.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: Climber1] #1372557
06/19/15 05:12 PM
06/19/15 05:12 PM
wedowee
daniel white Offline
Booner
daniel white  Offline
Booner
wedowee

Originally Posted By: Climber1
Originally Posted By: daniel white
[quote=KEITH]... but two high kids out there competing in fishing, instead of smoking dope, has my respect and integrity, right out the gate.. just my $.02

Sorry DW, but your standards for HS kids right now is pretty low. If all it takes is to be pot free and fishing to earn respect and integrity, I shudder to think where things are headed.
It is not unreasonable to respect a fisherman or hunters "space". Its ridiculous to think it's OK for someone to come in on top of someone and fish in front of them; especially a guy in a paddle boat.

Well I live on the lake 4-5 days a week and see a ton of stuff.. But if you would read into what I posted I asked the man a question.. But We have some fine farm kids around my town, that I base my ethics off of..

"You do and it will be the biggest mistake you ever made, you Texas brush popper" John Wayne
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: BowtechDan] #1372664
06/20/15 02:02 AM
06/20/15 02:02 AM
in the corner
S
Stob Offline
14 point
Stob  Offline
14 point
S
in the corner
I agree. Fishing AND Hunting has turned into nothing more than a circus. This is why I gravitate to the most remote areas I can find, both for hunting and fishing. I try to avoid people at all costs. Out West, National Forests, Wilderness Areas and small, overlooked creeks are the areas I now frequent. Hunting clubs and Large Reservoirs are at the bottom of my list.

*As a side note: do you have to dress like a clown and drive a speed boat to be a professional "B.A.S.S" fisherman? I cant even watch that stuff.

Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: Stob] #1372706
06/20/15 03:54 AM
06/20/15 03:54 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
Originally Posted By: Stob
I agree. Fishing AND Hunting has turned into nothing more than a circus. This is why I gravitate to the most remote areas I can find, both for hunting and fishing. I try to avoid people at all costs. Out West, National Forests, Wilderness Areas and small, overlooked creeks are the areas I now frequent. Hunting clubs and Large Reservoirs are at the bottom of my list.

*As a side note: do you have to dress like a clown and drive a speed boat to be a professional "B.A.S.S" fisherman? I cant even watch that stuff.

No. You can go out with a 20 yr old pontoon and a bucket of big shiners in camo and catch twice as many as the pro's.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: The future of bass fishing [Re: Stob] #1372711
06/20/15 04:08 AM
06/20/15 04:08 AM
wedowee
daniel white Offline
Booner
daniel white  Offline
Booner
wedowee

Originally Posted By: Stob

What kind of truck you drive? What do you wear to work??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.