Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Originally Posted By: gobbler
FYI, I DO have places I want my coyotes to help me control the deer population.

Somebody needed to straighten them out grin

I see you do an awful lot of trapping on those places with good fawning habitat. I wonder why wink

And again, I'll say coyotes are localized issues, just like deer overpopulation. Ted knows that and must be busting my chops.

I just do not want coyotes making my harvest decisions regardless what my deer population is.

You are right, very localized issue. I have had properties with low deer numbers and habitat modifications didn't help bring up our numbers. Coyote trapping did. There are also those properties that there are too many deer and the hunters will not do an adequate job of killing does to keep the numbers in check, especially with great fawning cover. Coyotes help us out tremendously on these places.

As noted before, it could get expensive - on one property we trap, we kill about a coyote AND a bobcat per 100 acres per year. at $100 per coyote and $100 per bobcat on 3,000 acres that is $6,000 per year, not an insignificant perpetual number.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine