Originally Posted By: AlabamaSwamper
Just one more reason I'm glad I hunt in Tennessee. You kill a deer, you check it in. YOu get a "permanent" tag for that deer that stays with that deer until it is processed. If you get the buck mounted, you better attach the tag with it.

No way to lie or get around it for the outlaws. If they get caught with a deer and no tag, it's a ticket. No garbage to fill out or sign.

You tag it, check it and tag it again and you are good. Easy, simple and no worries.

I used to live in Ohio which had the tag system, was a major PITA when you trail & locate a deer, get to the check-in station after they close, tie up the next morning waiting for the GW to finish with his breakfast, phone calls, whatever, then take the deer to the processor. Keeping one overnight in Alabama means major headache, most guys even in Ohio just quarter it & butcher it themselves & toss the tag, sort of defeats the whole thing. Poachers up there sure don't bother with it and it never seemed to limit the night-hunters. Just another bureaucracy to deal with, more ways to make a mistake & get a ticket and really doesn't help a thing.

Think about it, an accountability program will work no better than those using it. We have about a bazillion rules & laws on the books that are vague & misunderstood all the time about hunting over bait, and you want those guys to create a tagging system?

Not me.