Originally Posted By: Bucktrot
Blumsden:

The new thinking is "not" to mow? Hmmm.... I'd like to know more about what the reasoning is to not mow. I'm not saying that you "should" mow.... I just want to know the science behind the approach of not mowing clover. I'm thinking that when you do mow, it stimulates new growth which the new growth is higher in nutrition/digestible protein and more palatable.

I also have enough sense to not mow during HOT weather. Do not mow during a drought. And, not mow it to the ground.

Anyway, are there available studies out there that looked at pros and cons of mowing/not mowing? What's Pennington Seed say about the care of its Durana Clover? Or, what are the other companies selling proprietary clovers (WI) say about upkeep and care of their clovers?

The plot doesn't have a lot of grass in it but the wheat, oats and triticale are fairly thick. I will probably want to leave the field as a pure clover field. This particular foods plot will not be hunted as it's very close to the camp house and it exists for viewing and feeding of wildlife. And besides, the food plot holds decent moisture. Not wet... just sufficient moisture for clover.

Thanks!

I don't think Blumsden is saying don't mow it ever....just wait until Fall if possible. Is that correct Blumsden? I am trying to figure all of this out also. I experimented with Durana only in some plots to try and establish multiyear/perennial clover plots. In all the others I did Crimson and Arrowleaf for forage through Spring and part of Summer. All of them were planted with a wheat, oat and cereal rye mix last Fall. Any additional help or suggestions on best way to proceed from here would be great. My plan is to replant the plots with Crimson and Arrowleaf again this Fall. The winter grains are about two feet high right now and fairly thick. The clover is doing great under the grain right now. My friend just threw a curve ball at me by saying I can use his two row planter if i want it. I hate to disk a perfect cover plot to plant corn or beans but that is the decision I have to make. Any suggestions? Thanks.