I've owned a pit that I rescued from fighting. She was one of the best dogs we ever had. Being in law enforcement I have worked pit bull attacks but I have also seen German Shepard, golden retrievers and labs become viscious. The meanest dog I have ever seen was a golden retriever that tried to attack a police officer. Dog took three rounds of 40 cal and still didn't kill it.
When the owner got home he admitted that he made his dog aggressive to protect his house while he was gone. Also had a pit bull owner turn her pit on us as we approached her front porch after she called us to her house. Dog was DRT never made it off the front porch. All I am saying is any dog can become aggressive and a lot of it relates back to the owners and how they raised it. A buddy of mine has 4 pit bulls that he hog hunts with. These dogs are trained to attack and he has never been bit by his dogs nor have they acted aggressive towards him. They look mean as hell covered in pig blood lol. I think with any dog you take a risk espically with children but I don't think it is worth wanting to wipe out an entire breed.