Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Under Charles Kelly a GW could arrest ANYONE if he made a good case, Mr Kelly would prolly call ya and ask the particulars of the arrest. NEVER any pressure to drop an arrest.

Current admin...not so much mad

I was called by the Chief and told to "un-arrest" a person I arrested the day before. There ain't no such thing.........
troy

Yes there is, just not a legal or proper way to do it. wink I've seen it done before when officers arrested a person on a warrant that had already been served. The fault was from the magistrate's office and the officers are told to explain the situation, apologize profusely, take them home and then hope they don't sue the city. I've seen this probably 10 times in my career, usually to habitual misdemeanor criminals. Only one has sued the city. Most are just happy to not be locked up again. The one that sued offered to settle with the city for $7000 and the city attorney turned it down. A jury then gave her $75,000.

I've followed this thread and the other with some interest because the use of police discretion is something that I have a keen interest in and study. The bottom line however is that presenting the one side just doesn't give enough info to make an accurate assesment. Keep in mind that officers are human. They make mistakes, they can have bad days, they can let someone cause them to act with emotions and not reason. We try to teach and train to not let this happen, but it can and occaisionally does. That is why there are recourses such as courts and formal complaint procedures against officers. These complaints are used to weed out those that can't cut it. Generally one complaint won't matter, but the cumulative effect of repeated complaints most certainly will. Despite Doecommander's assertions, all are not assholes. A few may start out their career that way but either they change or quit, largely due to peer pressure or they get terminated. Those guys don't last long very often any more. New guys often start out with piss and vinegar, but quickly are taught that that makes us all look bad and won't get you anywhere. The smart ones catch on quickly and change. The one's that don't won't cut it. This goes for wardens, officers, troopers, deputies etc.

Game laws are not my field, but I would have to guess that if I came across the poster in these circumstances, I would have issued a warning, assuming they were respectful and not confrontational, but as Fred says, I wasn't there so I can't say for sure what was proper.

FWIW, I definately think the loss of hunting privledges was overkill.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.