</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Ezgo txt 48volt cart
by 3blades. 06/01/24 11:10 PM
7000 lb dual axle boat trailer
by countryjwh. 06/01/24 08:30 PM
Fishing Pole w Penn reel - BOGO
by Rem870s2. 06/01/24 05:50 PM
LR 243 Win
by treemydog. 06/01/24 04:03 PM
Free: Couple of scopes for kids
by ALMODUX. 06/01/24 04:00 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Are these the good ol’ days??
by Lefty1. 06/01/24 07:51 PM
Favorite hunting method
by woodduck. 06/01/24 11:41 AM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by kkfish. 05/31/24 09:14 PM
points or age on bucks...
by CNC. 05/30/24 08:44 PM
Help with Survey
by Steve Ditchkoff. 05/29/24 03:09 PM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a couple guys
by MoeBuck. 05/25/24 06:25 PM
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (Wadenthebushes, DoeNut, limabean, janiemae, riflenut, BCLC, Young20, Moss, Gunner211, MadMallard, brianr, jprice, Holcomb), 535 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hog issues. #778129
12/12/13 10:49 AM
12/12/13 10:49 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline OP
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline OP
Booner
E
Prattville AL
I am placing this here instead of in the hog section because I feel it is the single most dangerous to the land topic hunters/landowners will face in the years to come. Hogs are and will continue to destroy land and ecosystems. I am just curious to see what opinions are out there.

I honestly think the feral hog issue is a train wreck in the making. And I feel we have to change our approach. We can't continue to do the same thing and expect different results.

Should it be legal to transport live hogs within the State?

Should a depredation permit be required to bait hogs?

Should a depredation permit be required to hunt hogs at night?

Should there be restrictions on trapping hogs?

Should there be restrictions on baiting hogs?

Should there be restrictions on hunting hogs with dogs?

Should a hunting license be required to hunt hogs?

Should hogs be considered a game animal?

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778138
12/12/13 10:58 AM
12/12/13 10:58 AM
Sylacauga
doecommander Offline
things that make you go hmmmmmmm
doecommander  Offline
things that make you go hmmmmmmm
Sylacauga
I think you should be able to hunt them over bait during non deer and turkey season months.

doecommander out...........................

Re: Hog issues. [Re: doecommander] #778147
12/12/13 11:03 AM
12/12/13 11:03 AM
God's Country
B
bowhunter86 Offline
6 point
bowhunter86  Offline
6 point
B
God's Country
Originally Posted By: doecommander
I think you should be able to hunt them over bait during non deer and turkey season months.

x2, I also think you should be able to hunt them at night. I don't think they should be a game animal either.

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778152
12/12/13 11:05 AM
12/12/13 11:05 AM
Mobile
D
Delta Dave Offline
4 point
Delta Dave  Offline
4 point
D
Mobile
Just my opinion on the questions.

Should it be legal to transport live hogs within the State? Yes

Should a depredation permit be required to bait hogs? No

Should a depredation permit be required to hunt hogs at night? Not sure

Should there be restrictions on trapping hogs? For live trapping, no. The traps shouldn't be designed to kill the targeted animal to make sure that non-targeted animals aren't killed.

Should there be restrictions on baiting hogs? No

Should there be restrictions on hunting hogs with dogs? Yes, shouldn't be allowed to run dogs across property lines, etc.

Should a hunting license be required to hunt hogs? No

Should hogs be considered a game animal? No

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778162
12/12/13 11:13 AM
12/12/13 11:13 AM
Parts Unknown
Cletus Offline
10 point
Cletus  Offline
10 point
Parts Unknown
You should be able to hunt them over bait, at night, no license, ect on private land. I responded to a survey a few months ago for Conservation done through AU and wrote a long response as to what I thought would be benefical for hunting and wildlife in Alabama. I wrote exactly those things above for wild hogs and coyotes as far as private land was concerned. I also added that to prevent folks from taking advantage of the situation fines and penalties for killing deer or other protected species over bait or at night should be so much that only a true outlaw or dumbass would ever think about shooting a deer at night. I posed the question to them as to why the state of AL is protecting hogs in the manner they do.

But hey.......as long as the high fences can legally feed all is fine and dandy right?? crazy

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778165
12/12/13 11:15 AM
12/12/13 11:15 AM
In a Van, down by the River
quailman Offline
Booner
quailman  Offline
Booner
Fully Automatic weapons should be legal for them also.

Life is a journey. Make sure and bring plenty of Beer.

My luck has been so bad lately, it could be raining pussies and I'd catch one with a dick broke off in it.
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778172
12/12/13 11:20 AM
12/12/13 11:20 AM
North Jackson
R
ridgestalker Offline
14 point
ridgestalker  Offline
14 point
R
North Jackson
Declare war on them and the coyotes.

"The Heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament sheweth his handiwork" Pslam 19:1
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778186
12/12/13 11:29 AM
12/12/13 11:29 AM
southwest alabama
aldoghunter Offline
4 point
aldoghunter  Offline
4 point
southwest alabama
I think feral hogs should be considered as an invasive/nuisance animal,not only should you be able to hunt them by any means,there should be a BOUNTY put on them.Oh and the answer to your questions is NO to all of them.

Be safe & have fun
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778196
12/12/13 11:38 AM
12/12/13 11:38 AM
ford150man Offline
Old Mossy Horns
ford150man  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Silencers should also be allowed. Poisoning should not due to the risk to other animals. Permits should not be required. Baiting, night hunting, trapping (as long as its a live trap as mentioned before) should all be allowed. IMO

If voting made any difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.-Mark Twain
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778204
12/12/13 11:49 AM
12/12/13 11:49 AM
Mobile
D
Delta Dave Offline
4 point
Delta Dave  Offline
4 point
D
Mobile
So you guys that are saying no to all. You don't think you should be able to trap, keep small ones to raise and slaughter? Or castrate the hogs to be slaughtered later? Those typically require transportation within state.

Also I see bigger problems with running dogs for hogs than I do for deer if there is no regulation.

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778213
12/12/13 11:58 AM
12/12/13 11:58 AM
Elmore County, AL
Stu Offline
spike
Stu  Offline
spike
Elmore County, AL
I say no to all but the license if everyone was ethical, and respectful of property lines and other wildlife. However, I think the few bad apples would make it a nightmare.

Re: Hog issues. [Re: Delta Dave] #778243
12/12/13 12:34 PM
12/12/13 12:34 PM
Mobile, AL
A
alhawk Offline
14 point
alhawk  Offline
14 point
A
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted By: Delta Dave
So you guys that are saying no to all. You don't think you should be able to trap, keep small ones to raise and slaughter? Or castrate the hogs to be slaughtered later? Those typically require transportation within state.

Also I see bigger problems with running dogs for hogs than I do for deer if there is no regulation.

I think the transport issue is more on the lines of relocating. This is what has been happening for years and is causing problems now. Mr. X catches hogs in the Delta. Mr. Z thinks it will be cool to have a few "wild boars" on his 2000 acres. 5 pigs become 200 in short order and then the nomadic bastages have taken over that area of the county. If they are cut and can not breed, could be moved.

Shoot any time and over any bait.

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778282
12/12/13 01:21 PM
12/12/13 01:21 PM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Offline
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
I'll weigh in. I emphatically agree with your assessment of the hog situation in our state. I've personally seen what they can to a farmer's field, a food plot, and a hardwood bottom. They are terrifically destructive.

1. No. And not just no, but hell no. Nor should you transport them to another state.
2. Yes. Only if to attempt one from shooting deer over bait
3. Yes but night hunting only allowed during closed deer season
4. No but you should be required to kill any you trap and should not transport them alive to another property.
5. Yes. But only during open deer and turkey seasons.
6. Yes. Limited to daylight hours only during deer and turkey season. Hunt them at night with dogs otherwise if desired.
7. Yes. You should have to have a license to hunt/kill any wild animal that has a open season in Alabama.
8. No. My only argument would be that since I do not think there should be a bag limit on hogs, I wouldn't consider them a game animal that should be managed. I don't feel that wanton waste should be implemented either. If you kill some and have someone that will eat it, use it for self consumption or give to someone who will eat the meat. Otherwise, I'm good with letting them rot where they fall. I guess one could use the carcass as a bait station for the other animal I loathe, the coyote. Buzzards got to eat. Same as a worm.

I do not and will never understand why people want to hunt and trap hogs AND LET THEM LIVE??? There people on this site that do a lot of hog hunting. I get the sporting and excitement aspect of the chase. Heck, I'd like to participate if given the opportunity! But these animals are out of control. This isn't meant to offend anyone but I cannot understand the logic of catching then castrating a boar then turning him loose. I guess the reason is so they can have a hog to chase again. I just don't get it. You've taken him out of the breeding business but he's still going to damage crops, root up forests, destroy food plots, forage on acorns and food that native animals eat, and so on. I know some folk want to keep a small pig to fatten up for consumption later. I disagree with that. Kill one that is the size you want and eat that one. They have no natural enemies so it's up to man to do our best to eradicate them.

To my knowledge, feral hogs serve no useful purpose to the natural flora and fauna that exists in our ecosystem. They reproduce like rats (if not more prolific) and will eat anything that grows or they can catch. I say kill everyone that you see by any means necessary. Boars, sows, shoats, embryos, fetal pigs, whatever. No survivors. Hold no quarter. Take no prisoners.

Dr. B

Last edited by bamaeyedoc; 12/12/13 01:25 PM.

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Re: Hog issues. [Re: bamaeyedoc] #778288
12/12/13 01:28 PM
12/12/13 01:28 PM
quailman Offline
Booner
quailman  Offline
Booner
Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
I'll weigh in. I emphatically agree with your assessment of the hog situation in our state. I've personally seen what they can to a farmer's field, a food plot, and a hardwood bottom. They are terrifically destructive.

1. No. And not just no, but hell no. Nor should you transport them to another state.
2. Yes. Only if to attempt one from shooting deer over bait
3. Yes but night hunting only allowed during closed deer season
4. No but you should be required to kill any you trap and should not transport them alive to another property.
5. Yes. But only during open deer and turkey seasons.
6. Yes. Limited to daylight hours only during deer and turkey season. Hunt them at night with dogs otherwise if desired.
7. Yes. You should have to have a license to hunt/kill any wild animal that has a open season in Alabama.
8. No. My only argument would be that since I do not think there should be a bag limit on hogs, I wouldn't consider them a game animal that should be managed. I don't feel that wanton waste should be implemented either. If you kill some and have someone that will eat it, use it for self consumption or give to someone who will eat the meat. Otherwise, I'm good with letting them rot where they fall. I guess one could use the carcass as a bait station for the other animal I loathe, the coyote. Buzzards got to eat. Same as a worm.

I do not and will never understand why people want to hunt and trap hogs AND LET THEM LIVE??? There people on this site that do a lot of hog hunting. I get the sporting and excitement aspect of the chase. Heck, I'd like to participate if given the opportunity! But these animals are out of control. This isn't meant to offend anyone but I cannot understand the logic of catching then castrating a boar then turning him loose. I guess the reason is so they can have a hog to chase again. I just don't get it. You've taken him out of the breeding business but he's still going to damage crops, root up forests, destroy food plots, forage on acorns and food that native animals eat, and so on. I know some folk want to keep a small pig to fatten up for consumption later. I disagree with that. Kill one that is the size you want and eat that one. They have no natural enemies so it's up to man to do our best to eradicate them.

To my knowledge, feral hogs serve no useful purpose to the natural flora and fauna that exists in our ecosystem. They reproduce like rats (if not more prolific) and will eat anything that grows or they can catch. I say kill everyone that you see by any means necessary. Boars, sows, shoats, embryos, fetal pigs, whatever. No survivors. Hold no quarter. Take no prisoners.

Dr. B

Great stuff Doc.

As I've always said, if you don't have hogs on your lease, you have no idea how fast things get out of hand.

Life is a journey. Make sure and bring plenty of Beer.

My luck has been so bad lately, it could be raining pussies and I'd catch one with a dick broke off in it.
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778291
12/12/13 01:32 PM
12/12/13 01:32 PM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline
Freak of Nature
Marshall County
I dang sure don't think it should be legal to transport live hogs. Hogs getting a ride in the back of a pickup truck is one of the main reasons they are spreading so fast.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778317
12/12/13 02:00 PM
12/12/13 02:00 PM
moody,al
spy Offline
12 point
spy  Offline
12 point
moody,al
Other than deer and turkey season they should make it legal to hunt them how ever you want. bait and at night to kill as many as possible.

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778326
12/12/13 02:14 PM
12/12/13 02:14 PM
Centreville AL.
sbo1971 Offline
10 point
sbo1971  Offline
10 point
Centreville AL.
I think you should be able to hunt them anyway you want; at least on private property. Stupid things have caused me nothing but problems and we've only had them for a year.

Elite Omnia, Easton FMJ, Axcel Landslyde 5 pin slider.
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778435
12/12/13 03:41 PM
12/12/13 03:41 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
I am placing this here instead of in the hog section because I feel it is the single most dangerous to the land topic hunters/landowners will face in the years to come. Hogs are and will continue to destroy land and ecosystems. I am just curious to see what opinions are out there.

I honestly think the feral hog issue is a train wreck in the making. And I feel we have to change our approach. We can't continue to do the same thing and expect different results.

Should it be legal to transport live hogs within the State?

Should a depredation permit be required to bait hogs?

Should a depredation permit be required to hunt hogs at night?

Should there be restrictions on trapping hogs?

Should there be restrictions on baiting hogs?

Should there be restrictions on hunting hogs with dogs?

Should a hunting license be required to hunt hogs?

Should hogs be considered a game animal?

Fix this rule:

The following animals are hereby designated as game animals: Bear,
Beaver, Coyote, Deer, Opossum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Nutria, Fox,
Mountain Lion (Cougar), Groundhog, Bobcat, Red Wolf, Feral Swine
(Wild Hog), except those feral swine reduced to the personal possession of
a landowner or his agent, provided, however, that notwithstanding such
reduction to personal possession, in the event such feral swine are hunted,
they shall at such time of hunting be designated as game animals.

... and repeal this rule:

All feral swine (wild hogs) found in the wild are hereby classed as game
animals. The seasons and methods for taking feral swine will be as provided
in Rule 220-2-.01. Once reduced to personal possession of the
landowner or agent, feral swine will no longer be considered a
game animal. However, feral swine will be considered a game
animal at any time they are hunted. Notwithstanding any other
regulation to the contrary, it shall be unlawful to transport feral swine alive
beyond the boundaries of the property from which they are taken without a
permit from the local conservation officer, or to release feral swine into any area of the state, except they may be released onto the property from which
they were originally taken.

They will no longer be protected animals.

Then you can kill them like crows and black birds.

Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778554
12/12/13 04:41 PM
12/12/13 04:41 PM
muscle shoals
todd w Offline
10 point
todd w  Offline
10 point
muscle shoals
Should it be legal to transport live hogs within the State? No

Should a depredation permit be required to bait hogs? No

Should a depredation permit be required to hunt hogs at night? Yes

Should there be restrictions on trapping hogs? No

Should there be restrictions on baiting hogs? NO

Should there be restrictions on hunting hogs with dogs? Absofreakinglutely

Should a hunting license be required to hunt hogs? Yes

Should hogs be considered a game animal? No

I think you need the permits for night o hunting to keep it safe. That way enforcement can keep up with what is going on. i personally call the officer I work with every time I went after dark. This helps them eliminate calls due to neighbors hearing shots.

I do think you have to use all available methods, but using them at the same time can counteract one another. I can have 30-40 hogs per night coming to a trap and a neighbor 5 or 6 properties over turns his dang dog loose and I lose the chance to trap the hogs for weeks. I think you should have to have a permit to run dogs on a property, but it needs to be a large enough property that you do not have to worry about you dogs crossing onto neighbors land.

It is what it is.

Inspect what you Expect.

Hunting TN, AL, KY, and IL.
Re: Hog issues. [Re: ElkHunter] #778613
12/12/13 05:07 PM
12/12/13 05:07 PM
Hoover, AL
M48scout Offline
12 point
M48scout  Offline
12 point
Hoover, AL
In all seriousness ... What possess the state to treat them like protected game animals? The ONLY possible reason I can see is that they perceive a difficulty with enforcing deer poaching if people start claiming "well I was just hunting hogs" when they get busted at night with guns over bait, etc. Maybe they believe the temptation of a deer arriving at hog bait at 2:00 AM would be too much to bear for a night hunter/hog remover/ poacher. The cynical side of me thinks that wealthy buddies of the commissioners enjoying hunting hogs or would somehow believe they could be hurt by hog depredation efforts. Completely strange given the near universal belief that wild hogs are scourge of the earth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.