Originally Posted By: gobbler
Originally Posted By: BirminghamBuck
Originally Posted By: blumsden
Think about it. On a 400 acre
lease, if you have 20 doe's, and they have twin fawns, and half of those are bucks, then you will need to kill 10 to just keep the numbers the same.

I honestly have no idea how you came to 10. It's probably my lack in math skills.

Ha, you are correct - you would have to kill 20 does a year in that scenario to stay the same. However, it is unrealistic. Fawns die and are killed, surviving twin fawns are not the norm and dropping twins is also not the norm. Maybe one surviving fawn per 2 does in hunting season. Maybe 50-60% of the does with fawns and an average of 1 fawn would yield 10 fawns, 1/2 of which are bucks, therefore 5 does killed per year would keep same ##'s. It is still not that simple though!

You are spot on according to a study I read a while back can't remember who conducted it but it was done in 2010 and it said that average fawn recruitment rate in the southeast was .60 To me this is one of the most important numbers to deer management. But most places won't take the time necessary to get a good estimate and just assume almost every doe will raise two fawns each year. Which is far from accurate most anywhere.

Last edited by mike35549; 09/10/13 02:54 PM.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough.