Originally Posted By: CNC
Ok then, now that I’m sure you’re talking about cereal rye, then back to my question……Why do you stop after only two years? Are the deer not eating the rye well?

Wheat and oats are FAR more preferred over the cereal rye, plus the wheat and oats are much more digestible. I only use the rye because 1) it will grow in terrible soil; and 2) it is something deer will eat (although other plants are more preferred).

Quote:
Rye just seems like a much more superior plant than wheat in terms of soil building properties.

Yes, rye is a better soil builder (as well as a natural herbicide), but not as good of a soil builder as proper liming and fertilization.

Quote:
Why would we not want to work toward the goal of continuously improving the fertility of our “tillable” land?

Because attracting and feeding deer is of prime importance.

Quote:
Why don’t we call that “plantable” land instead. Is there not value in that?

I'm sure some minor value (considering we're usually talking about little 1/2-acre plots scattered around a forested property), but no where near the value of the deer using the property.

Quote:
If we look to the Midwest….does fertility not drive the value of land?

Yes, but in the ridge-and-hollow hardwoods where I do most of my management work, deer are the #1 value of the land, with timber being #2.

Quote:
I just can’t help but look at it like as if we were an accountant doing book keeping. Fertile soil is an asset. Do you agree?

Yes, but in my type of environment, other things hold far more value.