Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: Squeaky
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I dunno what a new barrel would cost, but you could send it to SumToy and get him to cut it to the exact length you want, thread it for one of his chokes, and then make you a choke. Probably run about $100 for all that. His chokes are built like a tank.

http://www.sumtoycustoms.com/index.php/prices

Preacher I sent him a email and I already have one his chokes I won through Missouri Whitetails for this exact gun. The choke is still brand new in the package. That alone might save me some money.

If you already have the choke, then I believe you are looking at $35 to cut and thread the barrel. Whatever the cost, it will be insignificant when compared to the cost of making the tss shells.

My advice: fix the gun exactly like you want it and don't worry about saving a few dollars. A guy that turkey hunts several states each year oughta have his turkey gun set up the way he really wants it. When you think about how much money you spend on turkey hunting, the few dollars you spend on your gun shouldn't be an issue.

I think having Sumtoy modify my barrel will be the right choice for the money. Looks like I could also have him do some other things to the barrel that might help it shoot a better pattern. The 20 ga replacement barrels are hard to find and quite pricy as well. I hunt a lot of open ground and field turkeys so having a set up that will shoot the best pattern possible is very important to me. My 870 12 ga is a proven killer under these hunting conditions, so it’s going to be hard to leave it at home.

PCP I plan to do as you suggested on the set up. I don’t plan to cut any corners on the 20 ga build. As you stated I spend a lot of time hunting in and out of state. The cost of building a reliable gun capable of a human kill is insignificant when looking at the overall cost of my new turkey hunting addiction.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."