Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
Eddie and Jack, on the application for scientific collection permits the following is stated.....

Specifically, General Scientific
Collection Permits and/or State-Listed Species Scientific Collection Permits are for
collecting scientific data (1) on species for which no harvest season is provided, (2) on species
outside the provided harvest seasons and/or when such collections cannot be made during
the regular hunting, fishing or trapping seasons, or (3) by the use of equipment or by methods
not permitted under a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license.

To me, that answers your question. We are conducting scientific research on game animals during a time period in which there is no open season, and with methods that are not normally permitted. No laws are broken. Case closed.

When did the DCNR/Commisioner receive the authority to supercede a state law? It is my understanding that they are supposed to work within the law, not above it. Like I said I do not have a problem with the basic premise of what is being done. It may be necessary thing to get an accurate picture of the conception dates, etc. but just have the law changed to allow the taking of protected animals at night.

Quote:
I really don't like the use of your term "hunting" at night by WFF personnel. We aren't hunting in the sense of attempting to take game for personal use or consumption. It is legit science. And like BHAMFRED stated it is work. It isn't fun at all. It was the first time or two, but it quickly becomes work, and long hours. I don't know of anyone who enjoys getting in the truck to conduct a night-time operation. We are usually glad it is over.

I also did not mean to imply that what was being done was for fun or sport. I understand it is work.

I Have Stood Next To Death, and People Liked Him Better