Originally Posted By: jlccoffee

Originally Posted By: Bucktrot
and not hurt the herd's health,

Who gets to define "health". For examples, a 5.5 year old buck on Sapelo Island, GA will probably on average have about a 14 or 15 inch spread and weigh 120-130 lbs live. Is that buck not healthy, or is he small?

Like the silica gel packs in some electronics that the silica mfg was forced to stamp "Do Not Eat" in bold print, there's a certain amount of "common sense" expected in life and QDM ain't any different.

If you're starting to practice QDM and you think your average Wilcox County deers' weights and antler size, etc... are going to resemble IA, MO, IL or Canada... you've got more problems than sex ratios and herd health!

Information and advice is everywhere! Measuring herd heath is done by more than one data point. A majority of your does having triplets? That's "one" great indicator. There are many more.

You may have to start with current collected data (QDMA or ANY biologist will help you) and move forward to establish a trend.

"I've been managing my Florida Key Deer for 5 years now and I can't get not nair'one buck to look like the ones I seen killed in Illinois and Iowa!! QDM just ain't working for me!!!"

Hey Coffee, this such guy has more problems than just his deer herd!!!!

Don't eat the silica packets!

Last edited by Bucktrot; 06/08/13 04:22 PM.