Originally Posted By: Tru-Talker

Is it possible to practice "Your Own QDM" on your own individual property?

Certainly.

In fact, "QDM" is a bit of an amorphous term. As long as you are using the basic principles of QDM, you can expand it in any number of directions and still be practicing QDM. For example, the definition of QDM describes the buck harvest restrictions designed to improve buck age structure as simply the protection of young bucks, defined as "yearlings and some 2 1/2 year-olds." As long as you are protecting yearlings and some 2 1/2 year-old bucks, you are correctly practicing the buck harvest segment of QDM. No more restrictive practices are needed. However, you CAN be more restrictive than that if you like, as many QDM practitioners are. Some protect all 2 1/2s. Some protect all 3 1/2s. I've even seen a few groups attempt to protect any buck below 5 1/2 (although I wouldn't recommend that). How far you want to take the buck age limitation is up to you. Although I would temper that with the previously discussed caveat of maintaining realistic expectations, considering the size of the property, the habitat, the deer density, and the harvest practices of neighboring hunters.

In addition to the fairly liberal definition of buck age protections required, every properties' female harvest recommendations are going to be unique to each property's situation. Some properties may need or may allow high doe harvests. Some may need modest female harvests. Some may need no female harvests. Doe harvest policies must be based on localized conditions and herd structure/density, and may end up being very different from property to property.

The above discussion doesn't even begin to discuss the reality that QDM practices are not the only management system that will produce the desired results (balanced and more natural buck age structure, adult sex ratio, and herd density). Other management practices can be used to reach those goals. In fact, many states are successfully using other practices to achieve those goals, and these practices are generally more acceptable to a wider segment of the hunting public than strict QDM.