</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Expert Grill pellet Grill/Smoker NIB
by longshot. 06/17/24 10:56 AM
Dual Scrren dvd player BNIB
by Shaneomac2. 06/17/24 10:44 AM
Adjustavble trailer hitch BNIB
by Shaneomac2. 06/17/24 10:28 AM
truck
by jhix3734. 06/17/24 01:59 AM
Hornady 270 ammo
by MattD. 06/16/24 09:23 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Lake Martin Community Hunting Area?
by Morris. 06/16/24 04:04 PM
New Tracking Rules
by Ridge Life. 06/14/24 09:43 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 06/10/24 09:45 AM
Feeders and Hogs
by PYhunter. 06/09/24 10:27 AM
Blood Trailing Breeds
by 2 ducks. 06/08/24 07:48 PM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Ky rifle hunt for south AL or MS rut hunt
by todd w. 06/16/24 09:33 PM
University Lands
by clayk. 06/15/24 08:39 PM
Diamond Mountain Club
by Stoney. 06/09/24 08:30 PM
Hunting Club Jefferson/Tuscaloosa Line
by Austin1. 06/07/24 09:08 PM
Wayne county tn leases
by brushwhacker. 06/05/24 06:13 PM
Who's Online Now
111 registered members (quailman, mw2015, Kicker, Shaneomac2, furnfeather, BearBranch, PossumPecker, rickyh_2, South Ala Hunter, !shiloh!, Stacey, jchurch, RidgeRanger, 7PTSPREAD, PineTop, Dog, HDS64, 10 POINT, Gobble4me757, seapro19, 163dm, cdaddy14, Tree Dweller, CNC, Young20, 7mmMag, FX4, Buckshot77, rockhunter, Joe4majors, JohnnyLoco, RareBreed, BACK40, Bigem1958, CeeHawk37, Chancetribe, KnightRyder, fingers, crenshawco, bates2rw, bigfoot15, Showout, BamaBoHunter, Fishhead706, Paxamus, goodman_hunter, Dean, Nightwatchman, BobK, bamabeagler, TexasHuntress, apolloslade, Brian_C, CAL, Dixiepatriot, BigA47, roll_tide_hunts, canichols424, 3006bullet, bamaeyedoc, IMISSALDEER, pickenstj, TurkeyJoe, slippinlipjr, rblaker, AU7MM08, bamapanic, Buckwheat, somedude, hunter84, Overland, Scout308, mathews prostaff, SwampHunter, Shmoe, ronfromramer, salock, curt99rsv, Birdfeathers, mcninja, WINMAG300, Bustinbeards, walt4dun, jaydub12, GoldenEagle, Herdbull, Buck2020, Turkeyneck78, Shane99, XVIII, Floorman1, hamma, Dubie, leroyb, BC, hippi, BPI, Turkey, OutdoorsAL, BD, 11 invisible), 569 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: Clem] #604817
06/07/13 09:24 AM
06/07/13 09:24 AM
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan

Originally Posted By: Clem
Yes, because at 6.5 he's on a downhill.

What is on the downhill side, his antlers or his sperm? I thought that was one of the main arguments to move to a 3 buck limit, because the older age class bucks were more effective in the breeding process.

Super Predator
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: NightHunter] #604822
06/07/13 09:28 AM
06/07/13 09:28 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
NightHunter,
Quote:
This is only one variable out of many. You can't make an educated decision based off of that little bit of information.

Do I believe harvesting the 6.5 year old negatively impacts the herd... No. There is no evidence that it would.

I don't think it would either, so let me share an observation here.

Many who claim to be practicing qdm aggressively advocate shooting only mature bucks because more mature bucks are said to be beneficial to the good health of the whole deer population.

They say that the presence of more mature bucks shortens the breeding season and reduces stress... then they shoot those mature bucks before and during the rut. [See Matt Brock's post above for example]

That seems to me to be a contradiction between the theory and the practice.

Killing only mature bucks immediately before and during the breeding season cannot possibly result in having more mature bucks in the population during the breeding season.

Sounds like your assertion that the buck population is usually skewed toward the younger age classes may actually be one result of qdm practices.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: russsims] #604828
06/07/13 09:37 AM
06/07/13 09:37 AM
Nashville, TN
B
BSK Offline
12 point
BSK  Offline
12 point
B
Nashville, TN
Does QDM work?

Well, first let's define what "QDM" (Quality Deer Management) really is. I see a lot of hunters, magazine articles, and TV hunting shows that have little understanding about what QDM is and how it came about. In addition, although I don't disagree with them in principle, the QDMA (Quality Deer Management Association--an organization that was created in an effort to educate hunters and promote the ideas of QDM) has greatly expanded the definition of what QDM is. Although I think these expansions in definition can be a good thing, I also believe they may give the wrong impression about what is required to practice QDM.

QDM started out as a scientifically based harvest strategy intended to compensate for the over-exploitation of bucks and over-protection of does that had been occurring across parts of the U.S. after many, many years of Restoration Management. This should not be seen as an indictment of Restoration Management--it was highly effective at doing what it was intended to do: restore deer herds wiped out by market hunting. However, eventually, a new form of management was needed once deer herds were restored, and many state wildlife agencies were a bit slow in realizing this. Too many years of Restoration Management, and its practice of allowing very heavy harvest of the adult buck population, and almost total protection of the antlerless population, had led to deer herds with skewed adult sex ratios, male populations dominated by very young bucks, doe populations dominated by the oldest age-classes, and excessive total deer populations that were damaging the habitat.

QDM harvest guidelines were designed to alleviate these problems through selective harvests. Protection of young bucks would allow buck age structure to increase (more bucks surviving to older ages), and increases in antlerless harvests (where necessary) were designed to both decrease total deer density--to take browse pressure off the habitat, which in turn increased herd health--and to aid in balancing adult sex ratios. The entire system was designed to produce more natural and balanced herd structure: a more natural buck age structure, in which all age-classes of bucks exist; a more natural and balanced adult sex ratio; and a total deer population more in balance with the habitat's ability to feed it.

Now again, does QDM work? When practiced properly, and as so wisely stated by NightHunter, who said,"...you MUST HAVE REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS!," yes it absolutely works BIOLOGICALLY. Problems arise, and are the driving force in the few QDM "failures" I've witnessed, when hunters either have unrealistic expectations for their management, or the hunters are unprepared for the different style and skill of hunting required to be successful, or both. In essence, when designed and implemented properly, I've not yet seen a QDM program that was a biological failure (a failure to improve herd structure), but I have seen failures in design, failures in implementation, failures due to excessive biological and harvest expectations, and the failure of hunters to take advantage of the biological changes that were occurring.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: russsims] #604879
06/07/13 11:07 AM
06/07/13 11:07 AM

O
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
O

boy poor russims didnt know the can of worms he was opening!

All I know Id rather hunt QDM lands anyday over any other type.

I QDM manage land and the results speak for itself.

I see more deer. I also see more mature bucks and have enjoyable hunts where I can view whitetail basically every time I go.

And I get to harvest a couple nice mature bucks every year...including some nice wall hangers. Some shockingly big for Alabama, and actually far better then Id have ever thought to be honest!

Thats what my goals were, as well as the enjoyment of working the land, implementing food plot programs, and trying to see just what the deer will turn into at peak maturity.

It is fun, and it is rewarding. To me it works just fine!

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 49er] #604881
06/07/13 11:12 AM
06/07/13 11:12 AM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Originally Posted By: 49er
NightHunter,
Quote:
This is only one variable out of many. You can't make an educated decision based off of that little bit of information.

Do I believe harvesting the 6.5 year old negatively impacts the herd... No. There is no evidence that it would.

Many who claim to be practicing qdm aggressively advocate shooting only mature bucks because more mature bucks are said to be beneficial to the good health of the whole deer population.

They say that the presence of more mature bucks shortens the breeding season and reduces stress... then they shoot those mature bucks before and during the rut. [See Matt Brock's post above for example]

Killing only mature bucks immediately before and during the breeding season cannot possibly result in having more mature bucks in the population during the breeding season.

Sounds like your assertion that the buck population is usually skewed toward the younger age classes may actually be one result of qdm practices.

Nope...more like misguided management practices but not true QDM practices. BSK put it perfectly...

Quoting BSK---> "Too many years of Restoration Management, and its practice of allowing very heavy harvest of the adult buck population, and almost total protection of the antlerless population, had led to deer herds with skewed adult sex ratios, male populations dominated by very young bucks, doe populations dominated by the oldest age-classes."

Last edited by NightHunter; 06/07/13 11:14 AM.
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: BSK] #604883
06/07/13 11:13 AM
06/07/13 11:13 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
BSK,

Quote:
... When practiced properly, and as so wisely stated by NightHunter, who said,"...you MUST HAVE REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS!," yes it absolutely works BIOLOGICALLY. ...

... BIOLOGICALLY means nothing more than the studies involve both animals and plants.

Do qdm theories succeed in accomplishing the claimed results as so many claim they do?

Natural populations of deer include distinct social groups that are disrupted by selective population manipulation under qdm.

Qdm managers generally target the best of the bucks immediately before and during the breeding season, possibly disrupting natural hierarchies that have been established in male social groups. Nature generally selects the young, the weak and the oldest for removal.

Qdm managers often remove female members indiscriminately to fill quotas. Nature selects the fittest to survive and lead
social groups.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 49er] #604890
06/07/13 11:26 AM
06/07/13 11:26 AM
If you only knew.....
Tru-Talker Offline
Booner
Tru-Talker  Offline
Booner
If you only knew.....
BSK,

Quote:
... When practiced properly, and as so wisely stated by NightHunter, who said,"...you MUST HAVE REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS!," yes it absolutely works BIOLOGICALLY. ...

Nature generally selects the young, the weak and the oldest for removal

Nature selects the fittest to survive and lead
social groups.

Is it fitting to say that we as hunters are simply manipulating the herd as we see fit in our own game management practices....

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: russsims] #604892
06/07/13 11:35 AM
06/07/13 11:35 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
If you like QDM, use it. If you don't like QDM, don't use it. No need to try to convince other people on your way of thinking.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: N2TRKYS] #604894
06/07/13 11:39 AM
06/07/13 11:39 AM
In a Van, down by the River
quailman Online shocked
Booner
quailman  Online Shocked
Booner
In a Van, down by the River
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
If you like QDM, use it. If you don't like QDM, don't use it. No need to try to convince other people on your way of thinking.

For the love of peat, this!!!

Life is a journey. Make sure and bring plenty of Beer.

My luck has been so bad lately, it could be raining pussies and I'd catch one with a dick broke off in it.
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: N2TRKYS] #604900
06/07/13 11:50 AM
06/07/13 11:50 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country

It would be nice if we had retained that option ... but at the behest of QDMA and their believers, we don't have that option any longer.

Remember the little "harvest thingy" we all have to tote around and abide by now instead of just enjoying being out there hunting?

Soon we may have to tote a radio and a "harvest thingy", and when that don't work, there will be still other gimmicks that will be forced on us.

The one thing you count on ... there will be no reports proving that qdm works in an experiment conducted on an area the size of the state of Alabama.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 49er] #604928
06/07/13 12:21 PM
06/07/13 12:21 PM
If you only knew.....
Tru-Talker Offline
Booner
Tru-Talker  Offline
Booner
If you only knew.....

It would be nice if we had retained that option ... but at the behest of QDMA and their believers, we don't have that option any longer.

Remember the little "harvest thingy" we all have to tote around and abide by now instead of just enjoying being out there hunting?

Soon we may have to tote a radio and a "harvest thingy", and when that don't work, there will be still other gimmicks that will be forced on us.

The one thing you count on ... there will be no reports proving that qdm works in an experiment conducted on an area the size of the state of Alabama.

Is it possible to practice "Your Own QDM" on your own individual property? Does it matter if someone thinks their ideas are better than the other? I'm trying to figure out why there is such a big argument over this. If what you are doing is working for you ...... continue to do it...... if it's not working...... maybe you need to change something. All you can do is what the law will allow you to do combined with what you believe is right for how you are hunting.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 49er] #604933
06/07/13 12:28 PM
06/07/13 12:28 PM
War Eagle, USA
B
Bucktrot Offline
10 point
Bucktrot  Offline
10 point
B
War Eagle, USA
Bucktrot's response in red below:

NightHunter,
Quote:

Many who claim to be practicing qdm aggressively advocate shooting only mature bucks because more mature bucks are said to be beneficial to the good health of the whole deer population. Shrugging my shoulders here in question.... I will say this: I think the presence of "BUCKS PERIOD" is beneficial. It's not just mature bucks but bucks in general!! If you target immature bucks, you can really put a hurtin' on them as they're easy to kill.... "if they exists!!", that is.

They say that the presence of more mature strike out the word "mature" and that makes more sense. And yes, more bucks or a balanced sex ratio does shorten the rut and makes ALL the deer more healthy... for many reasons too detailed to get into! bucks shortens the breeding season and reduces stress... then they shoot those mature bucks before and during the rut. [See Matt Brock's post above for example] Well yes... kinda but MAINLY bucks period!!! They don't have to be "mature" but you sure don't want to kill all your bucks or most all your bucks of the 1.5 - 2.5 age class. I tell ya, they're dumb and you can kill a high percentage of them if you try!

Killing only mature bucks immediately before and during the breeding season cannot possibly result in having more mature bucks in the population during the breeding season. Oh heavens... you're trying to make this hard!! If you had ten 2.5 yr old bucks and ten 4.5 yr old bucks and your "targeted" both groups... you'd kill nine out of ten of the 2.5 yr old bucks and maybe three out of ten of the 4.5 yr old bucks. Just my opinion; not scientific but maybe some experienced hunters will state their opinion! You sacrifice killing .5 to 1 buck per year as opposed to killing 3 bucks per year. I'd rather shoot a doe than a 2.5 yr old buck.

Last edited by Bucktrot; 06/07/13 12:33 PM.
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: russsims] #604935
06/07/13 12:30 PM
06/07/13 12:30 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
BSK, you knew better but just couldn't stop, could ya??? laugh laugh

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: BhamFred] #604937
06/07/13 12:33 PM
06/07/13 12:33 PM
Nashville, TN
B
BSK Offline
12 point
BSK  Offline
12 point
B
Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
BSK, you knew better but just couldn't stop, could ya??? laugh laugh

Pretty scary how well you're getting to know me! smile

I had been biting my tongue so long it was just bloody pulp. wink

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: quailman] #604941
06/07/13 12:39 PM
06/07/13 12:39 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
For the love of peat, this!

Peat makes a decent fire and contributes to good Scotch.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 2Dogs] #604996
06/07/13 02:11 PM
06/07/13 02:11 PM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: NightHunter

Let's say it's November 26 and the rut peaks around the end of December. You have a choice to shoot a dominant 6.5 year old buck or a younger buck.

Assuming qdm principles are correct, is it better for the "health of the deer population" to remove the dominant buck and leave the younger buck?

49er, how do you know that 6.5 YO buck is dominant?

Seriously 49er, I want to know how to identify dominant bucks. I'm fascinated by them. We now know some of the factors that a dominant buck must have, attitude, size/health, age and even antler size plays a small role, but I've never heard anyone say how to positively identify them in the wild. I think I've killed several in the past. If I could identify them, I'd rethink my hit list as that's the buck I'd put at the top.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 49er] #605057
06/07/13 04:09 PM
06/07/13 04:09 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

Good night! I don't want to post here again but can't SOMEONE challenge him that we DO NOT have QDM regulations in Alabama!!?? There are regulations on harvest but they have NOTHING to do with QDM. So now the "little harvest thingy" has something to do with QDM? But somehow, the whole State is under QDM regulations and it is some sort of conspiratorial experiment. WOW

Last edited by gobbler; 06/07/13 04:10 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: gobbler] #605067
06/07/13 04:28 PM
06/07/13 04:28 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
We've all read the minutes of the CAB meetings with the discussions about qdm leading up to your recommended restrictions.

Your denial that qdm was the motivating factor for the restrictions is contradicted by the facts.

Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: 49er] #605077
06/07/13 04:44 PM
06/07/13 04:44 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
We've all read the minutes of the CAB meetings with the discussions about qdm leading up to your recommended restrictions.

Your denial that qdm was the motivating factor for the restrictions is contradicted by the facts.

I wasn't talking to you

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: QDMA- Do you Believe it works? [Re: gobbler] #605218
06/08/13 03:25 AM
06/08/13 03:25 AM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
I WAS talking to you.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.