</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Stihl back pack mosquito sprayer
by Bulls eye. 06/05/24 09:48 AM
Looking For Youth size guitars
by Bowhunter2011. 06/04/24 10:38 PM
ISO
by Big Game Hunter. 06/04/24 09:19 PM
Yamaha 21M 141/2 prop
by brett.smith. 06/04/24 07:31 PM
Coleman Saluspa
by BrentsFX4. 06/04/24 04:16 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Shooting Houses
by Stoney. 06/05/24 10:26 AM
Blood Trailing Breeds
by gastoka. 06/05/24 08:43 AM
New Tracking Rules
by BAR1225. 06/05/24 12:03 AM
Texas CWD
by JohnnyLoco. 06/04/24 09:50 PM
Here you go CNC
by CNC. 06/03/24 09:26 PM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a couple guys
by MoeBuck. 05/25/24 06:25 PM
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (beeline08, GomerPyle, bamamed1, graydw1, Dubie, brianr, Big Al, Backwards cowboy, CarbonClimber1, CatfishJunkie, Alb, Raspy, Jbf, bodock, fourfive45, MikeP, AU67Skeeter, SC53, BC_Reb, AJones, Gizmo76, dtmwtp, YellaLineHunter, shootnmiss, Skillet, Ron Brown, jwalker77, Big AL 76, headshot, WINMAG300, blumsden, JCL, Mbrock, Fishduck, JohnG, JRigs10, Bmyers142, lckrn, Tracker, stoolshooter, DHW, outdoorguy88, WPZJR, Calvin, JDawg, XVIII, 7PTSPREAD, bama_earl, Paxamus, joeml18, dawgdr, Turkeyhunter12, ridgestalker, jake5050, BhamFred, Shmoe, Tree Dweller, BBD23, rkt, Reaper, thayerp81, sawdust, tmhrmh1, Red Fox, canichols424, KnightRyder, laidback, Epalm88, Swamp Monkey, Blessed, brushwhacker, trlrdrdave, Atoler, BCLC, cch, ts1979flh, D.C., Birdman83, mossyback, Marbury, Dean, GoldenEagle, Treelimb, BradB, slippinlipjr, buck_buster, Lvlhdd, gastoka, bug54, Gunpowder, Driveby, halljb2, RebFormanUDA, WDE, deadeye, BAMA RUGER, hippi, dave260rem!, Noler_Swamp, TurkeyJoe, Cactus_buck, KENT, Fullthrottle, Hunting-231, Turkey_neck, roll_tide_hunts, CAM, FreeStateHunter, BAR1225, Brownitsdown, 10 invisible), 703 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: Blackhawk] #546032
03/02/13 10:24 PM
03/02/13 10:24 PM
coffee county
P
PeaRiverCat Offline
3 point
PeaRiverCat  Offline
3 point
P
coffee county
Well we didnt catch but 2 today and believe it or not they were laying outside the hole sunnin. I got some picks but that is were the problem is!! I lost my wifes camera today between takin pictures and walking about 2 miles back to golf cart. I told her it was just a camera and she said "yeah just a camera with our disney world trip pictures on it" so I guess I will be back tomorrow after church to look for it.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: JBinGulfShores] #546038
03/02/13 10:31 PM
03/02/13 10:31 PM
coffee county
P
PeaRiverCat Offline
3 point
PeaRiverCat  Offline
3 point
P
coffee county
JB most diamond backs are in gopher holes. The 2 worst times I have ever been scared was when a rat run up the hose and up my arm and last year I had a quail I assume i scared into the hole before I seen it I ran my hose into the hole and listened I heard a funny flutter and then bam that stupid thing come out in my face I thought i was dead right there. my buddies come running they thought I had got bit.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: PeaRiverCat] #546134
03/03/13 07:50 AM
03/03/13 07:50 AM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline
Freak of Nature
Marshall County
Originally Posted By: PeaRiverCat
Well we didnt catch but 2 today and believe it or not they were laying outside the hole sunnin. I got some picks but that is were the problem is!! I lost my wifes camera today between takin pictures and walking about 2 miles back to golf cart. I told her it was just a camera and she said "yeah just a camera with our disney world trip pictures on it" so I guess I will be back tomorrow after church to look for it.

You should have pointed out that she should have already downloaded the Disney World pictures...... I tried that with my wife, let's us know how that works out for you.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: PeaRiverCat] #546135
03/03/13 07:51 AM
03/03/13 07:51 AM
Ino Alabama
I
inojon Offline
6 point
inojon  Offline
6 point
I
Ino Alabama
JB most diamond backs are in gopher holes. The 2 worst times I have ever been scared was when a rat run up the hose and up my arm and last year I had a quail I assume i scared into the hole before I seen it I ran my hose into the hole and listened I heard a funny flutter and then bam that stupid thing come out in my face I thought i was dead right there. my buddies come running they thought I had got bit.

Boy I would have loved to been there and seen that. Good luck finding the camera.

"TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN" RIC FLAIR
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: inojon] #546141
03/03/13 08:05 AM
03/03/13 08:05 AM
Panhandle Florida
PaschalBD Offline
Used to be TiderBD
PaschalBD  Offline
Used to be TiderBD
Panhandle Florida
So what's the word on the rodeo buying snakes? I hear they don't do it anymore but I did hear that some lady makes stuff out of them and will give good money. Anybody heard this? I don't need a reason to kill a snake but good money might make me go lookin to kill. smile

Last edited by tiderbd; 03/03/13 08:06 AM.

A servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

USAF Veteran
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: Blackhawk] #546213
03/03/13 10:33 AM
03/03/13 10:33 AM
PDL, Fl
T
timbercruiser Offline
Freak of Nature
timbercruiser  Offline
Freak of Nature
T
PDL, Fl
There are several stores around NW Fl that you can carry a dead frozen rattlesnake in and they will pay you on a per foot basis. You just have to ask around.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: timbercruiser] #546242
03/03/13 11:38 AM
03/03/13 11:38 AM
Ino Alabama
I
inojon Offline
6 point
inojon  Offline
6 point
I
Ino Alabama
I think the rodeo is wanting at least 5 foot snakes. I heard The Alabama Rattlesnake Company had gone out of business. I have sold several live and dead snakes to them. There wasn't a big difference in price between live and dead ones.

"TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN" RIC FLAIR
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: inojon] #546929
03/04/13 11:05 AM
03/04/13 11:05 AM
Mobile Alabama
TChunter Offline
Booner
TChunter  Offline
Booner
Mobile Alabama
About whats the goin rate, do you remember?

On the Eighth day God created flounder.
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: PeaRiverCat] #547043
03/04/13 01:04 PM
03/04/13 01:04 PM
Lower AL
K
k bush Offline
12 point
k bush  Offline
12 point
K
Lower AL

Imagine what that quail thought. Ran into a hole to get away from this big guy and there's a big diamondback in there. I'll take my chances flying into this dude's face.

"Cull" is just another four letter word...
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: k bush] #548216
03/05/13 06:53 PM
03/05/13 06:53 PM
Guntersville, AL
IDOT Offline
I am Cornholio
IDOT  Offline
I am Cornholio
Guntersville, AL
I realize that most could gives 2 schits about snakes on aldeer, but the snatching of Diamondbacks out of holes and slaughtering them has to stop. It's nothing more than the raping of a resource that can't be sustained. I believe now that I'm back in Alabama I may just start getting involved in getting laws on the books to protect some of the snake species in this state.

Not that anyone cares:

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Crotalus adamanteus. Uncommon to rare and possibly threatened. Alabama’s largest venomous snake. Exploits a variety of upland habitats from extreme southern portion of Southern Hilly Gulf Coastal Plain to Gulf Coast, favoring relatively dry pine flatwoods and longleaf pine-turkey oak sandhills. Overwinters in stump holes and gopher tortoise burrows, where it is vulnerable to “gassing” by snake hunters. Infrequently encountered where formerly common, and now absent from many areas of historic occurrence. HIGH CONSERVATION CONCERN

Originally Posted by Patricia Heaton
If you’re a common sense person, you probably don’t feel you have a home in this world right now. If you’re a Christian, you know you were never meant to.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: IDOT] #548224
03/05/13 06:58 PM
03/05/13 06:58 PM
Panhandle Florida
PaschalBD Offline
Used to be TiderBD
PaschalBD  Offline
Used to be TiderBD
Panhandle Florida
Originally Posted By: IDOT

Not that anyone cares:

That looks better
grin

A servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

USAF Veteran
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: PaschalBD] #548452
03/05/13 10:09 PM
03/05/13 10:09 PM
Chelsea, AL
J
josht101 Offline
8 point
josht101  Offline
8 point
J
Chelsea, AL
Originally Posted By: tiderbd

Not that anyone cares:

That looks better
grin

+1, only good snake is a dead snake. I don't give a frick how endangered they are. I hate em all

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: IDOT] #548463
03/05/13 10:20 PM
03/05/13 10:20 PM
Coffee Co, AL
J
jlccoffee Offline
14 point
jlccoffee  Offline
14 point
J
Coffee Co, AL
I realize that most could gives 2 schits about snakes on aldeer, but the snatching of Diamondbacks out of holes and slaughtering them has to stop. It's nothing more than the raping of a resource that can't be sustained. I believe now that I'm back in Alabama I may just start getting involved in getting laws on the books to protect some of the snake species in this state.

Not that anyone cares:

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Crotalus adamanteus. Uncommon to rare and possibly threatened. Alabama’s largest venomous snake. Exploits a variety of upland habitats from extreme southern portion of Southern Hilly Gulf Coastal Plain to Gulf Coast, favoring relatively dry pine flatwoods and longleaf pine-turkey oak sandhills. Overwinters in stump holes and gopher tortoise burrows, where it is vulnerable to “gassing” by snake hunters. Infrequently encountered where formerly common, and now absent from many areas of historic occurrence. HIGH CONSERVATION CONCERN

I agree with you in principle but I am not convinced they are all that rare in some areas. According to a story on the news last night, the Opp rodeo is only expecting to get about 50 snakes this year and there are a lot fewer hunters than they had in the past so I don't know if I would characterize that as a slaughter or not. It isn't uncommon to see a diamondback around where I live and it certainly isn't uncommon to see a gopher. Just about every food plot with sandy soil has one or more gopher holes.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: IDOT] #548499
03/05/13 11:27 PM
03/05/13 11:27 PM
War Eagle, USA
B
Bucktrot Offline
10 point
Bucktrot  Offline
10 point
B
War Eagle, USA

Not that anyone cares:

Dang IDOT, you're speaking my language! First, I hate that the tortoises are secondary casualties on gasing holes. Fines should be huge if caught doing this and damn, I don't understand anyone with such a careless concern for the poor gopher.

I kill moccasin's and copperheads with delightful and giddy pleasure. I have let several timbers crawl away and also killed several reluctantly because I knew I would not be the only person in the area.

I'm not for a total extermination of any species. Well, maybe moccasins!

BTW, several years ago, I lost a crankbait in a slough I was fishing/walking around the banks off the T'bigbee River and then a month later, I found a huge dead moccasin with that crankbait in his mouth on the banks of that same slough. Broke my heart that it slowly suffered of dehydration and staved to death. NOT!

My heart is soft for non-poisonous snakes and timber rattlers as they're not aggressive.

Last edited by Bucktrot; 03/05/13 11:33 PM.
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: jlccoffee] #548736
03/06/13 11:28 AM
03/06/13 11:28 AM
Opp Al.
10gauge Offline
14 point
10gauge  Offline
14 point
Opp Al.
Originally Posted By: jlccoffee

Not that anyone cares:

I agree with you in principle but I am not convinced they are all that rare in some areas. According to a story on the news last night, the Opp rodeo is only expecting to get about 50 snakes this year and there are a lot fewer hunters than they had in the past so I don't know if I would characterize that as a slaughter or not. It isn't uncommon to see a diamondback around where I live and it certainly isn't uncommon to see a gopher. Just about every food plot with sandy soil has one or more gopher holes.

I will also add to this that the Opp Rattlesnake Rodeo doesnt kill any of the snakes they have turned in. They are all released after the rodeo. One thing I know for a fact they do is milk the venom from these snakes to help with the developement of anti-venom.

Remember it not about the catch or the kill, it’s about the creation and GOD’s will........Blayne Moore

10gauge......
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: Blackhawk] #548853
03/06/13 01:26 PM
03/06/13 01:26 PM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
I'm like Jerry Clower used to be... he said that when folks would chop off a rattlesnakes head prior to being fried up, that was his favorite part. Don't know who said it, but all timber rattlers aren't placid... the place I hunt is loaded with them, and they can be quite aggressive when they want to be.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: 10gauge] #549006
03/06/13 04:31 PM
03/06/13 04:31 PM
Coffee Co, AL
J
jlccoffee Offline
14 point
jlccoffee  Offline
14 point
J
Coffee Co, AL
Originally Posted By: 10gauge
Originally Posted By: jlccoffee

Not that anyone cares:

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Crotalus adamanteus. Uncommon to rare and possibly threatened. Alabama&#146;s largest venomous snake. Exploits a variety of upland habitats from extreme southern portion of Southern Hilly Gulf Coastal Plain to Gulf Coast, favoring relatively dry pine flatwoods and longleaf pine-turkey oak sandhills. Overwinters in stump holes and gopher tortoise burrows, where it is vulnerable to &#147;gassing&#148; by snake hunters. Infrequently encountered where formerly common, and now absent from many areas of historic occurrence. HIGH CONSERVATION CONCERN

I will also add to this that the Opp Rattlesnake Rodeo doesnt kill any of the snakes they have turned in. They are all released after the rodeo. One thing I know for a fact they do is milk the venom from these snakes to help with the developement of anti-venom.

I have heard that too 10 gauge....not at my place though I hope!

Last edited by jlccoffee; 03/06/13 04:32 PM.
Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: Blackhawk] #549010
03/06/13 04:35 PM
03/06/13 04:35 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Kill all the dogs and save the snakes!!!

You are my hero IDOT! smile

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: Hogwild] #549028
03/06/13 04:55 PM
03/06/13 04:55 PM
Guntersville, AL
IDOT Offline
I am Cornholio
IDOT  Offline
I am Cornholio
Guntersville, AL
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
Kill all the dogs and save the snakes!!!

You are my hero IDOT! smile

I should be grin

On a side note, if you kill every snake you see you are no more an outdoorsmen than Obama is an American.

Originally Posted by Patricia Heaton
If you’re a common sense person, you probably don’t feel you have a home in this world right now. If you’re a Christian, you know you were never meant to.

Re: pouring gas in the ground while Snake hunting. [Re: IDOT] #549039
03/06/13 05:08 PM
03/06/13 05:08 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
I usually kill every poisonous snake I see.

But, some of them are too fast and get away! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.