Originally Posted By: truedouble

gobbler, are you suggesting Alabama's prairie land could potentially grow, on average, deer as big as the midwest? Even in the black belt's hay day, the bucks killed were not equal to the avg. bucks that come out of the midwest....not trying to argue, just not sure what you are suggesting. I am no expert but it's my understanding that the quality of the soil coupled with the amount of food is what makes the MW special. I do not think you could take the best land/ soil in Alabama, grow beans on it every year and produce 170 and 180 class bucks year in year out.

Not suggesting that at all, however, it is unfair to compare "apples to oranges" with us and the midwest. We are not an agricultural state. As noted, even in the heyday of soybeans in Alabama, we still did not produce the quality of buck that the midwest did or does and never will. We DO have the potential to consistently produce quality bucks on nearly all of AL soils with proper habitat management. We've got the genetics, just need the age and management.

Last edited by gobbler; 12/16/12 12:43 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine