Originally Posted By: Aught Six
Originally Posted By: Vulkanman
Second shots? My dad always said "you can't miss fast enough for it to matter".

Ever had a deer keep going after you hit it?

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. If it ain't DRT when you hit it, hit it again.

That's what they teach about shooting people. Why should deer be treated differently?

I never had to worry about a deer shooting back, so making sure he dies on the spot isn't the same concern for me. Also, I always plan on eating any deer I kill, so the less shot-up he is the better in my opinion, and the last thing I want to do is just sling lead at the back end of a running deer.
I try to only take a shot I like, if the angle isn't right, or if it's obstructed the safety never comes off, he gets another day.

After I shoot, I'm a lot more interested in seeing what he does & where he goes, if he's flopping around I might jack in another round, but really I usually don't even think about it. I guess if I have a clear line of sight like hunting in a big open hollow a second shot might be doable, but hunting around pines with thick little hardwood bottoms like I do, you'd pretty much have to be satisfied with your first attempt, the second one would just be at the brush waving where he went through.