Originally Posted By: Reyn
I don't open carry,I just don't like it. If someone wants too then it doesn't bother me. Heck,I don't even like a shirt bulge. I prefer IWB. It draws attention to me and I don't like that. Thats just my preference. I do carry open when hunting. A pancake Safariland with retention. Love this holster.

I don't like open carrying in public either, but our government has declared that to be the only manner that is protected by our Constitutions. They will enforce their laws against carrying concealed pistols with fines and time in jail if they see fit... and your sheriff can turn down an application for a permit for any reason he chooses to.

Read what the Supreme Court of Alabama said in The State v Reid and you'll see how full of crap they were. They turned to the common law of England to interpret our Constitutions instead of reading what was plainly declared by the people of this state:

Constitution of Alabama 1819 (in force when the Reid decision was made)
ARTICLE I
DECLARATION OF RIGHTS.

SEC. 23. Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the State.

SEC. 30. This enumeration of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people: and, to guard against any encroachments on the rights herein retained, or any transgression of any of the high powers herein delegated, we declare, that every thing in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government, and shall forever remain inviolate; and that all laws contrary thereto, or to the following provisions, shall be void.

So where did our government get the authority to tell us we cannot conceal our pisols? The common law of England according to them. And they went on to admit that it was doubtful if the statute did not come on conflict with our Constitution ... but claimed it was their duty to uphold it in spite of what the people said. mad