Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
Originally Posted by Irishguy
I've always thought it fascinating how 47 dudes got together at the behest of King James and all decided what books went into our modern bible and which books weren't allowed in. And how for roughly 1600 years of Christianity before that, there was no one set version of "The Bible" and instead the people just had all these various loose collections of all kinds of scriptures.

Yeah it raises lots of red flags now that I'm older and can think for myself. Go listen to all the latest discoveries about ancient civilizations, structures, timelines and astronomy and the bible falls apart. Some of the stories hold water though. I have changed my opinion about religion recently. I think it's best to not focus on what man has messed with and keep it simple. Just God. No religion. No titles. No stories. Because it's all irrelevant to man and creator.

Now you only need answer how 40 different authors on 3 different continents over 100s of years apart, most of whom never met one another or read the other authors writings, came up with the same story of a fallen world in need of a savior. Every book in the bible is pointing towards Jesus or detailing his teachings. We know from secular historians that he indeed lived, was crucified and that over 500 witnesses claimed to have seen him after his resurrection. Secular History confirms those biblical stories. If you still don't believe then you only need to figure out how man, in all his filth, is going to come into right relationship with a perfect and holy God and how that would work. Man, throughout history has tried to make God into something he can live with instead of trusting in the fact we serve a God who requires that we conform to him and not the other way around. Christ is the one and only way. The God I serve isn't dependent on men making sure His word is here for us. He's big enough to make sure man can't destroy or corrupt what he intends for His people.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard