Originally Posted by jbatey1
Originally Posted by Rainbowstew
Originally Posted by hallb
My place in Evergreen is spray foamed and just have a standard unit with no special equipment. It's a single story slab. Seems to be just fine to me, what kind of issues should I be having or expect to have considering I don't have $70k worth of HVAC equipment?

That's what I wondering why you need 70K worth of AC equipment if use spray foam. Why bother if you gotta drop that kind of money?

Well, I guess I’m referring to the whole scope of things for a larger home and not a small slab house. 3 Ton custom built Duct System, 2 Ton custom built Duct System, 3 Ton Split Inverter system, 2 Ton Split Inverter System, ERV/HRV Fresh air for either system, advanced air filtration/purification, dehumidifiers for either system. Wiring, controls, piping and etc. The above scenario may not be in the 70k range, but on some of the houses around here that I’ve seen, 70k may be normal and may not even touch what all is needed if it were to be done “right”.

We’ll use common sense on this one and say on a single story slab house, the expected costs would be way less than a custom built home, or home that is 2-3X or more of that size.

But to answer the question, the most common issues I see out of spray foam houses is over-sized HVAC systems. They run long enough to remove sensible heat, but never touch the latent heat and leave humid situation in a house. It’s definitely not an uncommon situation. A hundred plus high end houses in a Huntsville area subdivision dealt with this years back when they went all spray foam and had oversized AC units. If you aren’t dealing with issues, that’s good, Not everyone with spray foam will.

Another common issue I’ve seen is homes off-gassing all the chemicals from everything used during construction or brought into the home. An air tight home can’t breathe and in turn just circulates the chemicals released from everything in your home. That’s where fresh air and air cleaners/purifiers come in. Headaches, nausea, sickness and etc are the results when this is at a high enough level.

Most HVAC contractors, especially in new construction are focused on simply providing hot or cold air at the cheapest price the builder can get them to and that’s fine. We can control the cleanliness of that air, the humidity of that air, the volume of that air in which it moves and circulates and bring in enough treated fresh air to keep everything happy and healthy. It’s a premium product, at a premium price. Not for everyone. Most people building a home don’t care about the mechanical systems until it becomes a problem, they would rather spend that money on something flashy that their wife can show off to the neighbors wife- counters-cabinets-fixtures and etc. Mechanical systems aren’t sexy enough to most people to justify the money.

With all of that said. We don’t target new construction and I doubt we ever will.

that makes sense when you put it into context. I can see were the bigger homes can get into the commercial side of HVAC

For without victory, there is no survival