Originally Posted by Lockjaw
I am 57 and have only bought 1 vehicle new. I have an 02 Tundra that my son drives that is approaching 400K miles. My 05 Tundra DC has about 170K on it. When I was looking for trucks when I bought the 05 about 6 years ago, $25K didn't buy you much as far as a used truck with 4wd. I hate making a car payment.

And the truck market frustrates me now anyway. Buy a GM and you deal with transmission issues, and the whole cylinder deactivation headache. Fords, have phaser issues, and I don't think I like the idea of an aluminum bed. If I buy a midsize, the only real benefit is its smaller, they really don't get any better mileage. Diesels are expensive and require DEF. I don't like this 0w-16 or 20 motor oil. That is to thin. I don't like low tension piston rings either. Both those cause excessive oil consumption in my opinion.

It used to be you could have a clean and uncluttered engine bay. Engines used to look like a work of art. Now they are a jumble of hoses and wires. They put big plastic covers on the engines so you can't see the mess, and the cover just holds heat in under it, cooking everything they want to cover up. Not to mention, its just more crap you have to take off to get to the engine to work on it.

The marvel of govt regulation at work.