Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
Originally Posted by hayman
We are currently working on this. She’s just being a little hard headed with the whole bike thing.

a shock collar will break one pretty quick. I'd rather the dog listen to my commands. If I can't break one from something, I'll implement the E collar. But I try to keep it to a minimum. Otherwise the dog will become dependent on the collar.
I practice walking my dogs on a leash alot. It gives them something to focus on besides the stimuli. I totally ignore everything else, so the dog learns to ignore everything else. My dogs will looks to me, if I ignore it, they ignore it. Non verbal ques are a big part of communication.
Keeping the dog calm in situations is key. Thats why I exercise them beforehand. It burns off the nervous or built up energy. Then we walk. Calmly and routinely.

If the bike rattles or makes noise, it'll make it more difficult. I would start at a distance, As the training progressed. I'd move the bike closer and have him ride slow and work your way up. Once I get them started, I like to take them to the park. Same principle. Exercise them, walk them in the yard. Go to the park, walk them away from everyone and settle down, move them closer.

Great advice here. Goodman and I are on the same page with obedience training and such. I will reiterate… non verbal commands (body language) is huge in communicating with your dog. If you don’t believe me, if you normally train without sunglasses on, do a session with sunglasses on and pay attention at how your dog’s confidence drops a little.