Originally Posted by Semo
Originally Posted by Skinny
Those "financial advisors" make money on the fee's from every trade even the losing trades, so they dont care if you make money or not. But if they want to keep clients for the long term they will make the clients money and Index, Mutual funds, and other ETF's, are generally safe steady money makers. They just don't get the attention that a big home run single company stock trade gets.

That simply is not true.

If people want an advisor to actively manage a stock portfolio with trading at least quarterly then a fee-based account is what they need. I used to run mine at 1% or discount it depending on the client. If a person wants to buy and hold stocks then the fee based account will hurt more in the long run. So, paying a commission at the beginning is better. I had many individuals and also corporate accounts that this favored because they were buying and holding for the dividends (tax free for corps). I also had client accounts that would have benefitted from fee-based but because they directed their own accounts I wouldnt "put my name" on it as to charge a fee for my services, so they had to pay more to direct their own trades. This is mai ly because a fee-based financial consultant has a higher fiduciary responibility to the client accounts.

Now, under the obama admin they changed the feduciary rules and it spooked a bunch of the financial firms into going one way or the other. Fee based or commission based. It had to do with companies holding the 12b-1 fees that were paid out to the brokers/agents annually. I think it made a mess of things because people hold different monies for different reasons. This in the long run made the clients pay more(just like every damn thing obama did).

I disnt read your post clearly enough the fist time. I think you are correct if you are calling out stock picker traders. But, there are many people that are benefitted by induviual stock accounts in nonqualified accounts. In qualified accounts they make less sense to me, but some people like to know what they own. I dont have any individual stocks in any qualified account. Not sure I see the need. I know I'm not smarter than the best fund managers anyway. Taxes are the equalizer.