Originally Posted by Buckwheat
What's your heaviest you've seen or witnessed after the kill? My Biggest is 19 pounds. About 25 years ago on thanksgiving Day in Covington County I did a Lil Tree Yelp and had a Yelp come back. 4 longboards of average size and a Jake pitched down in front of me along with a BIG DADDY. BiG Daddy quickly left the group and got behind a knoll and I couldn't get a shot at him. Picked out one of the others and killed him....17.5 pounds weighed. In Comparison.....BIG DADDY had to have weighed a good 25 pounds.....his head looked the size of a Baseball!! Only Turkey I've ever killed in the Fall.....X-Wifes' Daddy had 180 acres about 4 miles North of Florala fronting Hwy. 331. Was kind of Neat to kill one on Thanksgiving Day. Was actually squirrel hunting but figured I'd give it a try first as I had seen some Scratchings in that 8 acre patch of Oaks.....

Buckwheat, you have gotta be the most unusual turkey hunter ever! 177 kills and not a one over 19 pounds? You have mentioned hunting in some of the same areas where I have hunted, and I haven't found anything unusual at all about a 20 pound gobbler in AL. I haven't kept up with the weights, but I would guess that I've killed at least 50 that were over 20. I weigh all that I kill, and the average weight can vary from year to year, but 20 isn't at all unusual.

The biggest one I've ever killed weighed 23.5 and had spurs over 1.5". He came from Dallas county in early season, so probably at his peak . But he was a real easy turkey - I yelped at him and he immediately flew out of the tree and lit in gun range. The hunt was over in less than a minute. I remember plenty of 2 yr olds a lot more fondly than him . To me, the weight, beard, and spurs are just a curiosity to be discovered once the turkey is dead . His trophy status is determined by the quality of the hunt he provides.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.